Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It'll probably be mostly killing British, but some American killing as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Isn't it made by Frenchies?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

the truth posted:

Isn't it made by Frenchies?
French Canadians, but yeah. I am also giving them the benefit of the doubt as to its content (and hell, I love the concept and mechanics of AC so much I will probably get it either way), but what bugs me is that they felt they needed to advertise it this way, even though the developers keep saying the complete opposite.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Isn't the whole series about an illuminati-esque assassins guild becoming a world controlling megacorporation without ever really even changing their name?

That's written for America. It will probably be something cheesy like rogue elements of the guild go on a new world power grab, those elements go on to be evil while main character is loyal to the original guild members aka America. Another sequel will reveal or hint that in fact it may have been just the opposite.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

revolther posted:

Isn't the whole series about an illuminati-esque assassins guild becoming a world controlling megacorporation without ever really even changing their name?

That's written for America. It will probably be something cheesy like rogue elements of the guild go on a new world power grab, those elements go on to be evil while main character is loyal to the original guild members aka America. Another sequel will reveal or hint that in fact it may have been just the opposite.

You've mixed up all the details, but you have the gist of it completely right.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
There's plenty for them to work with in terms of Templars being hidden throughout America, too. If you do all of the Subject 16 missions, Assassin's Creed 2, B, and R place a lot of context that the Templars practically run America by the time 2000 hits.

Everything from the leaders the Axis and the Allies working together to put the world under their thumbs, America's capitalist system actually being a subtle way to control the masses, Justice Scalia working as a puppet of Abstergo, JFK's assassination being actually based on trying to obtain his Apple of Eden... It's all wonderfully ridiculous, but the AC series has never been really big on brandishing America as the Greatest Good. We're really going to have to see how it's depicted in the game itself before I can judge whether they're truly going the "Rah-Rah America" route.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
At this point I am more excited for the Vita version of Assassin's Creed. There aren't too many games that have black female protagonists. It also seems to have a much more interesting premise than what I have seen of Assassin's Creed 3.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

blackguy32 posted:

At this point I am more excited for the Vita version of Assassin's Creed. There aren't too many games that have black female protagonists. It also seems to have a much more interesting premise than what I have seen of Assassin's Creed 3.
Yeah, they can take chances with a side story that they can't take with the main line game, I guess. I wish it had the Japanese subtitle "Lady Liberty" though.

edit

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 4, 2012

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, they can take chances with a side story that they can't take with the main line game, I guess. I wish it had the Japanese subtitle "Lady Liberty" though.

I've gotta agree with that. "Lady Liberty" is just a cool name for a video game, besides also being an allusion to the statue.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

From what I remember you were actually fighting Americans in that game and it is going to deal with the issue of slavery. Im really excited for it, and it might be the game that pushes me to get a Vita.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

blackguy32 posted:

From what I remember you were actually fighting Americans in that game and it is going to deal with the issue of slavery.

Huh, that just made the game ten times more interesting than III.

edit: that, and an actual jump button.

Krad fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 4, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seriously, I wish wholeheartedly that ACIIIVita was the actual ACIII. It looks so so so much more interesting.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

My biggest worry is that Connor might be really boring compared to Ezio. Ezio was pretty much everything I wanted out of a protagonist- outgoing, humorous, chivalrous... So far, the previews haven't focused on Connor's personality. That's something that worries me- I'm hoping he won't just be another blank slate, similar to how Altair was.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Krad posted:

Huh, that just made the game ten times more interesting than III.

edit: that, and an actual jump button.

I may have spoke too soon, I think it deals with the Spanish in New Orleans.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Feenix posted:

Who seriously cares? They've told a decent story thus far. They get the benefit of the doubt until such time as they squander that privilege.

In other news, I wish Dungeon Twister had a demo so I could know if it is as awesome as one would hope it'd be.

Anyone got impressions?

I've only been doing the tutorial missions so far (been years since I've played the actual board game), but the transition feels fairly well done. Stuff's easy enough to read and get a grasp off. Hopefully I'll shake off the rust here soon and get to doing some multiplayer.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

...! posted:

I've been thinking about Portal 2 and wishing they'd released more DLC for it (I'd pay for a "best of" pack of user-designed levels, even) and it got me wondering: Whatever happened to the whole "now that Sony will let us run Steam on the PS3, we're going to be bringing a lot of our back catalog over" thing that Valve was saying awhile back? Are they still working on that or did they quietly drop it?

I believe it's still something they'll consider, but it's more a route of, "well, Steamworks is up and running, so enjoy Counter-Strike here against PC/Mac players" and of course there's all the Move DLC/patch stuff coming. That's not new levels (not until later this year), but I'll definitely be playing through it again with Move because it was a demonstrably different experience at E3, and the new Sixense levels are going to be AWESOME DLC.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Does anyone know if Quantum Conundrum supports the Move? I've seend a few reviews but it doesn't really state.

Seems like it would be a good fit for it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

blackguy32 posted:

You and me both buddy. I'm still waiting for my ACII burnout to subside before I start on Brotherhood that has been sitting only my shelf for a year, let alone Revelations. Being this far behind means that ACIII is going to be a long way off for me, but I'm still really interested in the Vita game. Hopefully it'll be side story enough that I'll be able to play it before needing to catch up on the console versions.

I really think that a bit more diversity and variety in protagonists is necessary for the health of our hobby. I've played too many games now that would have been held back by being identikit white dudes. A mixed-race woman in the time of slavery, that's something you can do so much with on a story level, and we already know the gameplay will be sweet.

That Connor on the other hand though ... meh.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Parkingtigers posted:

That Connor on the other hand though ... meh.
The fact that you feel that way (me too) means that they have really hosed up the advertising so far, not selling his Mohawk heritage at all. And as I've said before, I don't think that's the only way they are loving up.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I still haven't finished AC2 but I get the impression you can skip Revelations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Well shine my drat shoes! Gotham
City Impostors is pretty fun!!

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

In other news, I wish Dungeon Twister had a demo so I could know if it is as awesome as one would hope it'd be.

Anyone got impressions?

I think a demo is supposed to be out in August, according to PS Blog.

As for an impression, it's...okay so far. I got up to Training Mission 15 and called it quits for the day. That took me 2 hours or so and there's 5 more to go. I'll post more tomorrow when I'm not sleep-deprived and actually have a couple full Advanced games under my belt, but so far it's a little underwhelming.

It looks and sounds very "budget title" -like, but the core gameplay sucked me in right away. The most glaring issue I can think of is everything just takes too drat long to happen and there's no way to speed it up. Do I really need to see the little dance a character does every time they leave the board? Do I really have to see the CPU player open up the menu and scroll down to the action they're going to perform? There's also no way to "preview" the moves you want to make or any kind of Undo option. Once you've moved somebody, they're moved and that AP is gone.

Overall: Good strategy filling in a cheap wrapper. More tomorrow.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Feenix posted:

Well shine my drat shoes! Gotham
City Impostors is pretty fun!!

Yeah but the matchmaking is atrocious.

Just let me play your game!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I still haven't finished AC2 but I get the impression you can skip Revelations.

You totally can, since mostly all it does is fill in the blanks about what happened to Altair after 1, which in itself is hardly even important to the overall narrative at this point. There are some tangential Desmond bits, but they're nothing that can't be explained in one sentence in the intro of AC3.

Regardless, I recommend everyone skip Revelations. It's not a bad game, but it really soured me on the series, since there's absolutely nothing new or interesting going on it.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Hakkesshu posted:

Regardless, I recommend everyone skip Revelations. It's not a bad game, but it really soured me on the series, since there's absolutely nothing new or interesting going on it.

I remember the dev saying that Revelations being made was pretty much the reason they had such a big budget for AC3 so if that game turns out to be good that's one thing Revelations has going for it...

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Looks like Sony has a time machine. The latest Singstar DLC shows that it was uploaded onto the Store on 01/18/2038.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

...! posted:

Looks like Sony has a time machine. The latest Singstar DLC shows that it was uploaded onto the Store on 01/18/2038.

It's good to know the PlayStation 3 has a much longer life span than we all predicted.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think that's fair. Revelations was still a drat good game, and you should play it if only to experience the finale of Ezio's story.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

I don't think that's fair. Revelations was still a drat good game, and you should play it if only to experience the finale of Ezio's story.

You don't experience it, though. Unless you buy the collector's edition which has that godawful CG animated movie that features the actual finale of Ezio's story.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A bit late to the LA Noire talk, but I just wanna say that the game is an absolute treat for Mad Men fans :) Like half the characters are played by actors from that series and it's just amazing to see familiar actors translated so beautifully into a vidya game. Everyone who has played LA Noire but hasn't watched Mad Men should watch the show because you'll appreciate the crazy rear end face capture technology even more.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Hakkesshu posted:

You don't experience it, though. Unless you buy the collector's edition which has that godawful CG animated movie that features the actual finale of Ezio's story.

What could they make a movie of if the guy is dead at the end of the game?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

A bit late to the LA Noire talk, but I just wanna say that the game is an absolute treat for Mad Men fans :) Like half the characters are played by actors from that series and it's just amazing to see familiar actors translated so beautifully into a vidya game. Everyone who has played LA Noire but hasn't watched Mad Men should watch the show because you'll appreciate the crazy rear end face capture technology even more.

I'm just going through it to finish the game, trying to finish games I've started but never finished. The one thing I really like about it still looks really, really nice, but the gameplay is a little dull.

It's an extremely polished turd.

One thing that really bugs me is that in some of the car chase side missions, if you have the siren on, cars swerve into you or just simply don't react.

Soundtrack is just awesome however.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...! posted:

I've been thinking about Portal 2 and wishing they'd released more DLC for it (I'd pay for a "best of" pack of user-designed levels, even) and it got me wondering: Whatever happened to the whole "now that Sony will let us run Steam on the PS3, we're going to be bringing a lot of our back catalog over" thing that Valve was saying awhile back? Are they still working on that or did they quietly drop it?

Don't hold your breath. It took Valve like a year to bring DLC out of beta.

Hakkesshu posted:

Isn't that movie about Ezio's dad?

EC posted:

What could they make a movie of if the guy is dead at the end of the game?

That's Altair.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Aphrodite posted:

Isn't that movie about Ezio's dad?

The movie you are thinking of is live action. There's a CG movie that takes place after revelations. You can find it on PSN.

Edit: Here is someone's camcorder recording of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucGI2PGY7-E

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
You know, I reckon that Gotham City Imposters is just about the perfect kind of game to give away for free on PS+. For me at least. It's the kind of game that I would be very unlikely to actually buy, even on sale, as an online only multiplayer shooter isn't something you play and beat and then move on from. It's a game that you play because you like playing it. Which is totally fine of course, but with a backlog like mine games like that are more of a distraction than anything. I like playing them, but not enough to want to drop cash on them.

So for free I get to have a bit of fun shooting stuff in a game that I wouldn't otherwise have tried. And yes, it's a lot of fun and I'd be willing to drop a little cash on one of the costume packs to say thanks and to get some extra gear if I end up sticking with it long enough. As a freebie, the player count should get a nice boost for a while too, so another plus for PS+.

I love the goofy little animated tutorials in the game too, it's got a great sense of humour. I've just played a couple of hours so far, mostly in bounty hunt for some reason, and I'm up to level 9 and I've been doing quite well running around with the buck hunter longbow and some stealth perks. I'm not the best at this kind of game so I take satisfaction in plugging arrows into people. I'm not actually doing too badly though, so eh.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Parkingtigers posted:

You know, I reckon that Gotham City Imposters is just about the perfect kind of game to give away for free on PS+. For me at least. It's the kind of game that I would be very unlikely to actually buy, even on sale, as an online only multiplayer shooter isn't something you play and beat and then move on from. It's a game that you play because you like playing it. Which is totally fine of course, but with a backlog like mine games like that are more of a distraction than anything. I like playing them, but not enough to want to drop cash on them.

So for free I get to have a bit of fun shooting stuff in a game that I wouldn't otherwise have tried. And yes, it's a lot of fun and I'd be willing to drop a little cash on one of the costume packs to say thanks and to get some extra gear if I end up sticking with it long enough. As a freebie, the player count should get a nice boost for a while too, so another plus for PS+.

I love the goofy little animated tutorials in the game too, it's got a great sense of humour. I've just played a couple of hours so far, mostly in bounty hunt for some reason, and I'm up to level 9 and I've been doing quite well running around with the buck hunter longbow and some stealth perks. I'm not the best at this kind of game so I take satisfaction in plugging arrows into people. I'm not actually doing too badly though, so eh.
This pretty much nails it so hard. It's fairly good, really funny/weird and rather entertaining. I love that you can change not only the pitch of your character's voice but make them speak one of like 8 (?) languages.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
:siren: Rumors were true! :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr4TgU4SKLc
http://finalfantasyviipc.com/en
http://eu.square-enix.com/en/games/final-fantasy-vii

http://kotaku.com/5923451/final-fantasy-vii-is-coming-to-pc-again

quote:

Following a month or two of rumors, Square Enix has confirmed that it will re-release Final Fantasy VII for PC. With achievements. And cloud saves (not to be confused with Cloud saves). And... a character booster, which it seems will allow you to pay real money to boost your characters' stats. ("Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure," says the official website.)

Anyone else think adding achievements to a classic like Final Fantasy VII would be like adding new special effects to Star Wars? Oh... oh god.

:psyduck: Cash store to boost your stats?! :psyduck:

Edit: I didn't even notice there's a thread for this.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3492270

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 4, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I wouldn't expect better graphics or anything like that, but this is still pretty cool. And those who have an issue with the extra features (there will no doubt be a lot of complaining about this) can just buy the exact original on PSN.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

I said come in! posted:

I wouldn't expect better graphics or anything like that, but this is still pretty cool. And those who have an issue with the extra features (there will no doubt be a lot of complaining about this) can just buy the exact original on PSN.

Been waiting to do that till they let me play it on the Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
It runs so well on epsxe that I have a hard time understanding what the point even is, but if they do any clean-up to it (either graphics-wise or script-wise) it could be pretty cool.

• Locked thread