Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Another Logitech anecdote: Just had someone come in with a jittery wireless Logitech mouse. Tried it on another PC, swapped the battery, and so on, to no avail. It had been working fine for almost a year.

Got him to email Logitech, they're sending another one without needing the old one. This is for a lower end product, too. (This is in the UK if it makes a difference).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

amitlu posted:

It doesn't happen with my g9x which uses an Avago ADNS-9500 laser sensor.

I think the G9x and the G500 use the same sensor...

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
In contrast to all the good Logitech stories, I have a crappy Logitech experience to share. This is in Australia.

I had a Logitech Performance M950 that was about 18 months old which developed problems with left click (kept double clicking and click and drags became multiple clicks). Contacted them via email, all good at first, sent them an old reciept etc. They gave me an address to return it to. I posted it and paid for the postage myself. Came back to me return to sender. Emailed them again and then received a reply that they gave me the wrong postal address (!?). This was about 4 weeks since I sent the first email.
Rang them up to complain about the wrong postal address, he said he would see what he could do about sending me another mouse as I said I already paid for return postage once and didn't want to do it again. Followed up via email after a week as I had heard nothing. Said he was still waiting on a response from the warranty co-ordinator. Followed up again a week or so later and heard nothing back. Then received a parcel in the post with the new mouse about 9 weeks after I first lodged a warranty issue.
Then received an email about 3 weeks after I received the replacement that the mouse was on its way to me (!?)

So overall, yes Logitech did replace my mouse but I got hosed around a lot for it.

Slashkun
Sep 19, 2011
Thought of having a look at the Saitek mice?

I used to have a microsoft sidewinder and a logitech g5 and found the ergonimics of them a bit annoying after a while.

Recently i bought myself an MMO 7 mouse as i tend to play MMOs and MOBA's and wanted more buttons available on my thumb but stuff like the Razer Naga and Naga hex just felt a bit cheap and horrible.

Anyway have a look on this site and maybe consider having a play with one in a shop.

http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.htm

As for ergonomics the mice are great and really customisable from the length to suit your hand to having a pinkie rest to avoid extra friction when your little finger touches the mouse matt.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looking for a bluetooth desktop mouse with a click wheel. Don't need much more than that except it needs to have a non goofy shape.

So far I've only found this:

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/computer-accessories/RF-ABTMSE.html

boingthump
Oct 27, 2005

and i descend from grace

I'm a left handed mouse user. I've been using a Logitech G3 for years now. It's on it's last legs.

I've been looking for a good replacement. Side buttons are very important to me. I tried the razer lachesis but found that it felt awkward in my hand. I also disliked their "recessed" side buttons. The g3's buttons stick out a ton more.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an ambidextrous mouse with raised side buttons? One on the left one on the right at a minimum. Two on each side would be ideal.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

boingthump posted:

I'm a left handed mouse user. I've been using a Logitech G3 for years now. It's on it's last legs.

I've been looking for a good replacement. Side buttons are very important to me. I tried the razer lachesis but found that it felt awkward in my hand. I also disliked their "recessed" side buttons. The g3's buttons stick out a ton more.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an ambidextrous mouse with raised side buttons? One on the left one on the right at a minimum. Two on each side would be ideal.

g300

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
How is Corsair in the Mouse business?

The scroll wheel broke on my Logitech (this is the one time free replacement they send if you don't have a receipt so no free mouse for me)

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Venge...ywords=logitech

Its looks so cool but I was burned so bad on that piece of poo poo r.a.t.7.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

boingthump posted:

Steelseries sensei is a good mouse, though personally I found that the buttons were too 'light' and so I kept clicking them accidently.

Razer also makes a left handed deathadder I believe - I currently enjoy the right handed version.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

The scroll wheel broke on my Logitech (this is the one time free replacement they send if you don't have a receipt so no free mouse for me)

I believe they poached a number of Logitech designers.

I've never personally used a corsair mouse, but an Australian PC magazine for enthusiasts recently did a big group test of gaming mice and declared that the corsair fps mouse was pretty much the best thing since sliced bread. The MMO version also got like 98%.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I've never personally used a corsair mouse, but an Australian PC magazine for enthusiasts recently did a big group test of gaming mice and declared that the corsair fps mouse was pretty much the best thing since sliced bread. The MMO version also got like 98%.

Well I will post a trip report Wednesday when it shows up.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Vidaeus posted:

In contrast to all the good Logitech stories, I have a crappy Logitech experience to share. This is in Australia.
Yeah, while Logitech's support in larger markets like the US is great, in Australia it is pretty crap

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well Frys has those lovely looking Canon bluetooth mice with the built in calculator for $8. They actually feel alright in your hand. The scroll wheel is the clicky type.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Lord Bude posted:

Huh. I'm curious how their MMO mouse will compare to the upcoming Logitech G600.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ColHannibal posted:

How exactly are you meant to press the buttons below the scroll wheel?

I see more and more mice with buttons there and I don't get it. The tips of my fingers usually lie a bit past the top of a scroll wheel on a decent sized mouse. There's a button like that on the MX Revolution but I pretty much never use it because I have to arc back my index or middle finger past 90 degrees to press the thing. Even if you keep your fingers much further back how are you supposed to keep them close to those buttons and the scroll wheel at the same time?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

eXXon posted:

How exactly are you meant to press the buttons below the scroll wheel?

I see more and more mice with buttons there and I don't get it. The tips of my fingers usually lie a bit past the top of a scroll wheel on a decent sized mouse. There's a button like that on the MX Revolution but I pretty much never use it because I have to arc back my index or middle finger past 90 degrees to press the thing. Even if you keep your fingers much further back how are you supposed to keep them close to those buttons and the scroll wheel at the same time?

Those are DPS switching buttons, you dont need to press them on the fly I assume.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

The Lord Bude posted:

Not exactly, though there are a number of us here who used to work there. I personally joined up in March to run the gaming mouse, keyboard, and headset product lines.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are you either of these people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5auv8UvYn0

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
This Corsair mouse really sucks dick, I mean middle click is not even default configured to open new windows.

The left and right mouse buttons feel mushy in comparison to a G500.

Its back is not high enough for my preference but that could be a matter of getting used to but it kinda hurts my hand.

The middle button feels like a hammer when you put enough pressure to click it and the sniper thumb button is too far forward to ever be used.

I still cant get new tabs to open with this so I think that's an immediate deal breaker.

This thing is relegated to my server while I wait for a new G500.

Full disclosure:

I loving love Corsair, I have their computer case, AX gold PSU, Ram, SSD, and Liquid cooling in the computer I am typing this on.

This mouse just sucks.

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 10, 2012

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

This Corsair mouse really sucks dick, I mean middle click is not even default configured to open new windows.

The left and right mouse buttons feel mushy in comparison to a G500.

Its back is not high enough for my preference but that could be a matter of getting used to but it kinda hurts my hand.

The middle button feels like a hammer when you put enough pressure to click it and the sniper thumb button is too far forward to ever be used.

I still cant get new tabs to open with this so I think that's an immediate deal breaker.

This thing is relegated to my server while I wait for a new G500.

Full disclosure:

I loving love Corsair, I have their computer case, AX gold PSU, Ram, SSD, and Liquid cooling in the computer I am typing this on.

This mouse just sucks.

That's a shame. I also love corsair and was prepared to assume anything they made would be awesome unless proven otherwise. Ah well.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
I am neither of those people.

ColHannibal - what browser are you using? I am not familiar with any browser which uses Mouse3 to open new windows. Generally the behavior is to drop an anchor for scrolling.

This won't change your opinion of the physical characteristics of the mouse, obviously.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Goo posted:

I am neither of those people.

ColHannibal - what browser are you using? I am not familiar with any browser which uses Mouse3 to open new windows. Generally the behavior is to drop an anchor for scrolling.

This won't change your opinion of the physical characteristics of the mouse, obviously.

Fire fox, and every logitec mouse and the RAT 7 open new tabs with mouse 3 by default. The scroll wheel click kinda is industry standard for new tab/window.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
The M60 is configured to play the Windows-standard Mouse3 command when the wheel is clicked. I have an M60 along with multiple mice from other manufacturers attached to my system. When I middle click in the window in Firefox, I get the anchor on all of them. When I click the title bar, I get a new tab. Does anything happen at all when you click the wheel button?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Goo posted:

The M60 is configured to play the Windows-standard Mouse3 command when the wheel is clicked. I have an M60 along with multiple mice from other manufacturers attached to my system. When I middle click in the window in Firefox, I get the anchor on all of them. When I click the title bar, I get a new tab. Does anything happen at all when you click the wheel button?

El Zilcho.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
If nothing happens when you click the button at all, not even an anchor dropping, then the button is probably physically broken. Contact Support for an RMA.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Goo posted:

If nothing happens when you click the button at all, not even an anchor dropping, then the button is probably physically broken. Contact Support for an RMA.

Well I get a click, and if I assign a keystroke to it I don't get it to execute.

So I have a dead on arrival unit.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

ColHannibal posted:

Well I get a click, and if I assign a keystroke to it I don't get it to execute.

So I have a dead on arrival unit.
It's unfortunate, but that happens sometimes with electronic devices. I can understand that it would be particularly frustrating for that to happen given your feelings about the physical shape of the product and click characteristics of the buttons, but it's a very uncommon occurrence. Again, contacting Support will be the right course of action to get you a correctly-functioning unit. Explaining that you talked to Chris the mouse product manager about it may be helpful.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Goo posted:

It's unfortunate, but that happens sometimes with electronic devices. I can understand that it would be particularly frustrating for that to happen given your feelings about the physical shape of the product and click characteristics of the buttons, but it's a very uncommon occurrence. Again, contacting Support will be the right course of action to get you a correctly-functioning unit. Explaining that you talked to Chris the mouse product manager about it may be helpful.

Its just I kinda expect a certain level from Corsair stuff and this does not live up to it. The weight adjustment is a joke considering how little you can shift around and cant add any. And the thumb button looks like you need a thumb as long as your index finger to press it. The grip and click-ability are something you get used to but the features are kinda mediocre. The laser seems rock solid and the construction bulletproof but its kinda a mediocre product with such obvious flaws in the design.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Can anyone suggest a mouse similar to the logitech m505 (ie, same shape and size), but wired and with a thumb button? My girlfriend has arthritis in her hands, and the m505 felt super comfortable to her in a store, but she's after a wired mouse and a thumb button.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm really accustomed to the shape of this mouse over almost a decade of using it.

does anyone know if there's a wireless mouse that has roughly the same size and shape? Doesn't have to he MS.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

AlphaDog posted:

Can anyone suggest a mouse similar to the logitech m505 (ie, same shape and size), but wired and with a thumb button? My girlfriend has arthritis in her hands, and the m505 felt super comfortable to her in a store, but she's after a wired mouse and a thumb button.

Dunno about size, but the G400 is wired and (mostly) ambidextrous and has a thumb button.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
For the past few weeks, I've been going to my local frys and buying/returning practically every palm grip ergonomic mouse and mechanical keyboard they have in stock.

I'm a lifelong fingertip grip user who had to switch to palm for regular use due to mild carpel tunnel.
Here's a breakdown of mice I've tried

R.A.T. 7
Small palm curvature. Can be adjusted to be very wide.
+ All rubber
- Heavy as hell even without weights
- Uneven weight distribution really jacked up my hands pretty fast.
- Horrendous mouse software with almost no options
+ Customized to fit exactly my hand, unfortunately the bad weight distribution kills it.

Logitech M500
Large palm curvature
- All plastic grip
+ No insane LEDs
- Thumb needs to curve in too much.
+ Left/Right tilt

Logitech G500
Large palm curvature
+ great shape
- texture on the sides are :wtf: Whoever thought of the plastic dotted sandpaper texture need to be strangled.
+ great mouse software options
+ left/right tilt

Razer Imperator
Medium palm curvature
+ decent shape
+ rubber sides
- Razer software has some issues. Lots of freezing up during start screens
- Really expensive

Razer Deathadder
Large palm curvature
+ Great shape
+ nice texture on top
- sticky plastic on the sides, why would they do this
+ Good software options, doesn't seem to mess up as much as imperator. I assume it's because Imperator has onboard memory.

Mionix Naos 5000
Large width mouse with small palm curvature. Should be considered half finger-tip grip I think
+ all hard rubber
+/- 30 different LED colors to blind you in the night
+ Ring finger and pinky rests are nice.
- Good curvature on the sides but small palm curve makes larger hands uncomfortable.
- Needed a firmware upgrade before it could even work with the drivers
+ Good mouse options in software.
- Really expensive

So far, only the G500 and Razer Deathadder were comfortable in my hands/ did not cause pain in my thumb or pointer finger .

Currently have a razer deathadder black edition coming via Amazon. I'm hoping that one will fix the 1 issue I had with deathadder standard and become my permanent mouse.

For anyone interested in a fingertip grip, I say get the CM Storm Xornet. It's 22 dollars and has amazing shape/texture/finger rests.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 10, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do people intuitively develop the claw grip on their own? Or is it some sort of 'enthusiast' thing that people learn on the webs?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

Do people intuitively develop the claw grip on their own? Or is it some sort of 'enthusiast' thing that people learn on the webs?

A minority of people just do it naturally. It's weird.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Shaocaholica posted:

I think it helps if you have giant hands, too, since then the palm can't fit on the mouse if you're clicking with your fingertips. I've been doing it on my own since forever and never even heard the term until fairly recently.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

I naturally developed it. Fingers are really long I guess.

Also naturally became really good at fps and rts. Coincidence? I think not.
Bad for health? Absolutely, now that my fingers cramp up even when browsing the web. Particularly egregious is anything "hard" like glass touchscreens and even the macbook's trackpad. It's like rubbing my fingers on cactus or something.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 10, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ah, long fingers and/or large hands makes sense. I have smallish hands and I still find a lot of mice really small so I guess the effect must be amplified for those with enormous hands.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

MeruFM posted:

Also naturally became really good at fps and rts. Coincidence? I think not.

This right here should be in the OP for being he most ridiculous statement I have ever read.

And do tell your theory on how holding a mouse made you a better "1337" gamer.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Forgot to mention that the Razer Imperator's side buttons are movable which is awesome.
The back button on the side of the G500 is placed too far back to be comfortable.

Shaocaholica posted:

Ah, long fingers and/or large hands makes sense. I have smallish hands and I still find a lot of mice really small so I guess the effect must be amplified for those with enormous hands.

Finger gripping might also have come from laziness after learning that you can slide the mouse speed slider to the max. Then you only need to use the wrist to move the mouse. Using only fingers then lets you control the mouse so that it doesn't arc with your wrist while moving.
Accessories like wrist rests just make it even more tempting.

ColHannibal posted:

This right here should be in the OP for being he most ridiculous statement I have ever read.

And do tell your theory on how holding a mouse made you a better "1337" gamer.

I'm also pretty good at SF4 using a 7 button mouse on the right hand and a really old flightstick on the left :iiam:

Natural born fingertip grippers are probably just gifted over palm plebes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

MeruFM posted:

Forgot to mention that the Razer Imperator's side buttons are movable which is awesome.
The back button on the side of the G500 is placed too far back to be comfortable.

Finger gripping might also have come from laziness after learning that you can slide the mouse speed slider to the max. Then you only need to use the wrist to move the mouse. Using only fingers then lets you control the mouse so that it doesn't arc with your wrist while moving.
Accessories like wrist rests just make it even more tempting.

I'm also pretty good at SF4 using a 7 button mouse on the right hand and a really old flightstick on the left :iiam:

Natural born fingertip grippers are probably just gifted over palm plebes.

No I am just wondering how you made the leap on grip to muscle memory aiming skill. Correlation is not causation, all it really breaks down to is how comfortable you are. Holding the mouse one way or the other offers no advantage in fact the so called claw grip offers a disadvantage on the amount of force and therefor control you exert on the mouse.

You got better at FPS's as you played them more, not due to some crazy stupid grip that will leave you with an arthritic claw in 40 years.