Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I ended up going with a 15" Macbook Pro. If I get the black Speck Satin, does it actually block visibility of the Apple logo?
Don't worry, it shows through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I ended up going with a 15" Macbook Pro. If I get the black Speck Satin, does it actually block visibility of the Apple logo?

Maybe only a bit, but it only take away 10% of your credibility.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Halloween Jack posted:

Don't know about the satin, but the Incase competitor I have lets everything (including battery lights) through. Probably nothing that actually blocked the Apple logo would sell :v:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

carry on then posted:

Don't know about the satin, but the Incase competitor I have lets everything (including battery lights) through. Probably nothing that actually blocked the Apple logo would sell :v:
I'd buy one. But I'm a jerk.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

spaceship posted:

My Best Skins Ever for the Retina Pro came in today. Going to apply it tonight.

Let us know if the thing increases the running temperature for the machine, yeah?

I am interested in the same thing in mine (still waiting for Apple to ship the thing), but am concerned that the skin, while protecting the machine from scratches and scuffs, will act as an insulating layer and be detrimental in dissipating the heat the machine generates.

Tex-Murph
May 5, 2001
Forum Veteran
I'm late to the mouse discussion - but I have to admit I have gotten really used to the Mighty Mouse, since it has been the primary mouse at my job (in TV) for the last 13 months. Some people bring their own mice, but I'm really used to it now.

Just a shame how you need to constantly clean the trackball once it gets old enough in a 24/7 usage situation with people eating and using it. Plus how it is not really ergonomically shaped like the Logitech mice.

Overall, though, the mouse seems to make sense, and feels more like a proper mouse than the Magic Mouse does, which doesn't seem to feel very comfortable in my hand at all.

Anyone have any opinion on the 'best' mouse? Has the Mighty Mouse ever been perfected by another company? I just love how I can scroll left/right with the Mighty Mouse. I know I can just hold Shift and do this with a regular mouse, but there's something oddly satisfying about having it configured that way.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

IUG posted:

Maybe only a bit, but it only take away 10% of your credibility.
Whether you actually believe this or you're just joking, those plastic cases that show the Apple logo look really cool. Buddy has a red one and my girlfriend has a pink one and it just makes the logo look cool.

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!
I am starting business school in the fall and will be using Windows extensively, there are some excel addin's that wont work with the Mac version of office.

Is the MBPr overkill for me?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I personally think the best mouse for productivity is the Logitech MX Revolution.

I just discovered that press the "End" key on a mac keyboard scrolls to the bottom of the website you are viewing, instead of the end of the line of text you are typing on, what the gently caress?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Spook posted:

I am starting business school in the fall and will be using Windows extensively, there are some excel addin's that wont work with the Mac version of office.

Is the MBPr overkill for me?

Seems like overkill simply because you're paying an overhead for the retina display, but it will be useless to you.

Unless you need two TB ports?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Mug posted:

I just discovered that press the "End" key on a mac keyboard scrolls to the bottom of the website you are viewing, instead of the end of the line of text you are typing on, what the gently caress?

"Home" and "End" are treated as scrolling commands, not commands that move the text insertion point around. They are grouped with Page Up and Page Down, after all. You move the text insertion point around using the arrow keys.

Useful commands to move around the insertion point:
Option-Left/Right Arrow: Jump word by word
Option-Up/Down Arrow: Jump paragraph by paragraph
Command-Left/Right Arrow: Jump to beginning/end of line
Command-Up/Down Arrow: Jump to beginning/end of text

If there's one to move sentence by sentence, I don't know it. Edit: did a little Googling to see if there is such key combo and it looks like there isn't. Did discover a couple more interesting ones though:

Option-Delete: Delete whole word
Command-Delete: Delete whole line

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 7, 2012

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Choadmaster posted:

"Home" and "End" are treated as scrolling commands, not commands that move the text insertion point around. They are grouped with Page Up and Page Down, after all. You move the text insertion point around using the arrow keys.

If there's one to move sentence by sentence, I don't know it. Edit: did a little Googling to see if there is such key combo and it looks like there isn't. Did discover a couple more interesting ones though:

:aaa: What the christ is this wizardry?

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

Following on from this, if you hold shift while jumping around, you highlight the text. So
Option--Shift-Left/Right Arrow: Highlights word by word, etc.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

Woop, thanks! That solves that mystery.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

Ah thanks. I'm a Windows user doing Mac stuff and that was driving me up the wall.

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

~Coxy posted:

Seems like overkill simply because you're paying an overhead for the retina display, but it will be useless to you.

Unless you need two TB ports?

I do not need any TB ports. Since I will be in Windows so much (probably bootcamp), should I just buy a 15' windows based machine and not a Mac?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Spook posted:

I do not need any TB ports. Since I will be in Windows so much (probably bootcamp), should I just buy a 15' windows based machine and not a Mac?

You can always use a product like VMware or Parallels to get Windows without boot camp.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Spook posted:

The MBPr is perfect for you.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Reinanigans posted:

Ordered my high-end 13'' Pro today; 8GB RAM, 2.9 Dual Core i7, and I opted for the 128GB Solid State Drive. I should be getting it by the 17th and I'm really excited. Considering I exclusively use my computer for web browsing, watching videos, and very light gaming (emulators for old games and the like), did I go overboard with this? My reasoning is that I've used my current PC for like...6 or 7 years, and hopefully the Macbook will last me as long, so I don't want it to become obsolete too quickly. Also, I've heard nothing but rave reviews for the Solid State, so for $100 more, I figured it was well worth it.

As was already said, yes, I think you went way overboard on this. Just checking the store this is $1600 + tax. But you could have just taken the base model for $1200 + tax and then upgraded the RAM to 8 GB and get a 256 GB SDD for about $250 untaxed. I use a 2010 MBP with a 2.4 GHz C2D CPU for "web browsing, watching videos, and [not so light] gaming (D3, etc)" and it's still good enough for me despite being outdated. Another thing about Macs is, if this is your first one and it sounds like it is, they don't really lose their resale value like Windows laptops and machines do, so I really wouldn't worry about keeping it for 6-7 years because chances are you can sell it when the 13" retinas come out some time and recover a lot of the cost.

So honestly if you can cancel this order and get a cheaper one, or even an air, I would.

On the other hand, you won't regret the one you bought either so whatever. Enjoy!

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 7, 2012

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011
I have a 6ish year old Apple Air Port Express. Would I benefit speed wise from upgrading to the newest model? I'm not having any issues with it, but if it were significantly faster I would consider it.

I currently have the standard Comcast cable internet package. I don't have SPEED BOOST or any of the other :rice: upgrades.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Geek USSR posted:

I have a 6ish year old Apple Air Port Express. Would I benefit speed wise from upgrading to the newest model? I'm not having any issues with it, but if it were significantly faster I would consider it.

I currently have the standard Comcast cable internet package. I don't have SPEED BOOST or any of the other :rice: upgrades.
For actual Internet speed there probably won't be much difference. For general network access (if you have a file server/NAS etc) and a Mac with 802.11n, then yes it'll probably be quite a bit faster.

Might want to keep in mind that the new Airport Express doesn't sit in a wall outlet like the current one does, it's roughly the same size and shape as an AppleTV. You also might want to think about looking at a current-gen Airport Extreme from the Refurb store, as it's only about $40 more expensive than the new Express and is significantly more powerful.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anyone with a mid 2010 MBP (6,2) have experience with DDR3 1333 RAM in them? I'm putting together a new machine and figured I could upgrade my Mac mini to 16GB, then sticking the one of the 4GB modules into the new machine and the other into my brother's old MBP. This has come up a few times in the past but just double checking whether it'd likely work or not. I vaguely recall that two modules might screw up (since it tries running at 1333?), but just one along with a 1066 module might be ok.

Martytoof posted:

e: If I set it to firewire target mode, can I connect it to my Intel mac and then have it install 10.5 to that volume? :ohdear:
Yeah that should work. If it doesn't, there's one other trick I used with my iBook way back, although it's kind of wasteful. Hook it up with FW then partition the drive and image the OS X Install disc to a partition. From there you can just use the G4 by itself, booting from the install partition and installing to the other. Of course once it's installed you have to keep the partition iirc, since I don't think you can get rid of the partition (cause that was only added with the switch to GPT on Intel machines).

Tex-Murph posted:

Anyone have any opinion on the 'best' mouse? Has the Mighty Mouse ever been perfected by another company? I just love how I can scroll left/right with the Mighty Mouse. I know I can just hold Shift and do this with a regular mouse, but there's something oddly satisfying about having it configured that way.
Best mouse is subjective so I won't bother there, but as far as Mighty Mouse like alternatives I'm pretty sure there's others that have tried other stuff. I vaguely remember one that put a trackpad sensor instead of a scroll wheel/ball, but I have no clue how well it worked in practice. Otherwise I think MS made a traditionally shaped mouse but with a touch surface like the Magic Mouse.

Choadmaster posted:

And if you happen to have an iPhone/iPad and Bluetooth keyboard, they all apply there too.

Spook posted:

I just run Excel (or whatever else) in VMware when the need comes up, it might as well be another Mac app (...a completely out of place app, but still there). Just get whichever OS you prefer to be using full time. And how much Excel will you be needing for sure? I'm in a MBA program and surprisingly haven't needed it much.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've been getting a bunch of kernel panics lately seemingly randomly.. I can't really link it to anything specific, are there any updates out that are causing people issues? It's a 2010 13" w/ SSD/250GB optibay/8GB ram. The drives both test good SMART wise.
code:
Interval Since Last Panic Report:  9 sec
Panics Since Last Report:          4
Anonymous UUID:                    922BDDA8-7CAB-4AE9-B368-BDC729C88E33

Sat Jul  7 17:53:26 2012
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f81ff0237):
 "AppleAHCI: slot (0) reused, newFIS = 0x00358027 : 0x4032a450 : 0x00000000 : 0x00000010, 
currentFIS = 0x03ef8027 : 0x00000000 : 0x00000000 : 0x00000046, PxCI = 0x00000001, PxSact = 0x00000000\n"
@/SourceCache/AppleAHCI/AppleAHCI-230.0.7/AppleAHCIPort.cpp:3872
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address
0xffffff80ec6cbbe0 : 0xffffff8000220792 
0xffffff80ec6cbc60 : 0xffffff7f81ff0237 
0xffffff80ec6cbce0 : 0xffffff800063ce01 
0xffffff80ec6cbd40 : 0xffffff7f81ff045b 
0xffffff80ec6cbd90 : 0xffffff7f81469bfe 
0xffffff80ec6cbdc0 : 0xffffff7f8146b0e4 
0xffffff80ec6cbdf0 : 0xffffff7f81485fc9 
0xffffff80ec6cbe30 : 0xffffff7f8146af8f 
0xffffff80ec6cbe60 : 0xffffff7f81fef6de 
0xffffff80ec6cbe90 : 0xffffff7f81fef81c 
0xffffff80ec6cbed0 : 0xffffff7f81ff08fb 
0xffffff80ec6cbf10 : 0xffffff7f81fee84f 
0xffffff80ec6cbf30 : 0xffffff800063b330 
0xffffff80ec6cbf70 : 0xffffff800063b1d4 
0xffffff80ec6cbfb0 : 0xffffff8000820057 
      Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
         com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily(2.0.8)[A87ECAB9-7A66-3817-8135-809EA2C7EF36]@0xffffff7f81468000->0xffffff7f81473fff
         com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort(2.3)[8998D70D-B1C2-3518-9F83-472CDD31ED52]@0xffffff7f81feb000->0xffffff7f82002fff
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily(2.0.8)[A87ECAB9-7A66-3817-8135-809EA2C7EF36]@0xffffff7f81468000
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6.8)[F63D4ABE-42DA-33EF-BADD-3415B0CB0179]@0xffffff7f80883000
         com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage(2.0.3)[5DA3BC9C-B45A-3580-8100-E1B4659D714A]@0xffffff7f81480000->0xffffff7f81494fff
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily(2.0.8)[A87ECAB9-7A66-3817-8135-809EA2C7EF36]@0xffffff7f81468000
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily(1.7.1)[5DF14080-C47C-3393-9176-6A2CD3CFE1CB]@0xffffff7f8076c000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:
11E53

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.0: Mon Apr  9 19:32:15 PDT 2012; root:xnu-1699.26.8~1/RELEASE_X86_64
Kernel UUID: A8ED611D-FB0F-3729-8392-E7A32C5E7D74
System model name: MacBookPro7,1 (Mac-F222BEC8)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 1271748547094
last loaded kext at 12742952238: com.apple.driver.AppleHWSensor	1.9.5d0 (addr 0xffffff7f81dbb000, size 28672)
last unloaded kext at 147511030087: com.apple.driver.AppleMCP89RootPortPM	1.11 (addr 0xffffff7f81d4c000, size 24576)
loaded kexts:
com.parallels.kext.prl_vnic	7.0 15054.722853
com.parallels.kext.prl_netbridge	7.0 15054.722853
com.parallels.kext.prl_hid_hook	7.0 15054.722853
com.parallels.kext.prl_hypervisor	7.0 15054.722853
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp	4.1.8
com.parallels.kext.prl_usb_connect	7.0 15054.722853
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt	4.1.8
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB	4.1.8
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv	4.1.8
com.apple.driver.AppleHWSensor	1.9.5d0
com.apple.filesystems.autofs	3.0
com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC	1.59
com.apple.driver.AGPM	100.12.42
com.apple.driver.AppleMikeyHIDDriver	122
com.apple.driver.AppleHDA	2.2.0f3
com.apple.driver.AppleUpstreamUserClient	3.5.9
com.apple.driver.AppleMCCSControl	1.0.26
com.apple.driver.AppleMikeyDriver	2.2.0f3
com.apple.GeForce	7.1.8
com.apple.driver.SMCMotionSensor	3.0.2d6
com.apple.driver.AppleSMCLMU	2.0.1d2
com.apple.iokit.IOUserEthernet	1.0.0d1
com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothSerialManager	4.0.5f11
com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X	7.0.0
com.apple.driver.AudioIPCDriver	1.2.2
com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin	5.0.0d0
com.apple.driver.AppleBacklight	170.1.9
com.apple.driver.AppleLPC	1.5.8
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCButtons	225.2
com.apple.driver.BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController	4.0.5f11
com.apple.driver.AppleIRController	312
com.apple.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTypeDataless	1.0.0d1
com.apple.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib	1.0.0d1
com.apple.BootCache	33
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCKeyboard	225.2
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBCardReader	3.0.1
com.apple.driver.XsanFilter	404
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage	2.0.3
com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5701Ethernet	3.1.2b2
com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4331	530.4.20
com.apple.driver.AppleFWOHCI	4.8.9
com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort	2.3.0
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub	4.5.0
com.apple.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager	161.0.0
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBOHCI	4.4.5
com.apple.driver.AppleHPET	1.6
com.apple.driver.AppleEFINVRAM	1.5.0
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI	4.5.8
com.apple.driver.AppleRTC	1.5
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIButtons	1.5
com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS	1.8
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC	1.5
com.apple.driver.AppleAPIC	1.5
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient	193.0.0
com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall	3.2.30
com.apple.security.quarantine	1.3
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement	193.0.0
com.apple.kext.triggers	1.0
com.apple.driver.DspFuncLib	2.2.0f3
com.apple.driver.AppleSMBusController	1.0.10d0
com.apple.nvidia.nv50hal	7.1.8
com.apple.NVDAResman	7.1.8
com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireIP	2.2.4
com.apple.iokit.IOSurface	80.0.2
com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily	10.0.5
com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily	1.8.6fc17
com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib	1.3
com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController	2.2.0f3
com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily	2.2.0f3
com.apple.driver.ApplePolicyControl	3.0.16
com.apple.driver.AppleSMC	3.1.3d8
com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginLegacy	5.0.0d0
com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsControl	3.0.16
com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert	1.0.3
com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport	2.3.2
com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily	2.3.2
com.apple.driver.AppleSMBusPCI	1.0.10d0
com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginFamily	5.1.0d17
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController	4.0.5f11
com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothFamily	4.0.5f11
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMultitouch	227.1
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver	4.4.5
com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIBlockCommandsDevice	3.2.0
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass	3.0.1
com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily	3.2.0
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub	4.5.3
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite	4.5.8
com.apple.iokit.IOEthernetAVBController	1.0.1b1
com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family	420.3
com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily	2.1
com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily	4.4.5
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily	2.0.8
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient	4.5.8
com.apple.driver.NVSMU	2.2.9
com.apple.driver.AppleEFIRuntime	1.5.0
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily	4.5.8
com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily	1.7.1
com.apple.iokit.IOSMBusFamily	1.1
com.apple.security.sandbox	177.5
com.apple.kext.AppleMatch	1.0.0d1
com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet	7
com.apple.driver.DiskImages	331.6
com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily	1.7.1
com.apple.driver.AppleKeyStore	28.18
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform	1.5
com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily	2.6.8
com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily	1.4
Model: MacBookPro7,1, BootROM MBP71.0039.B0E, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 1.62f6
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M, NVIDIA GeForce 320M, PCI, 256 MB
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1067 MHz, 0x01BA, 0x202020202020202020202020202020202020
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1067 MHz, 0x01BA, 0x202020202020202020202020202020202020
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x8D), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.198.4.20)
Bluetooth: Version 4.0.5f11, 2 service, 11 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en1
Serial ATA Device: Corsair CSSD-F115GB2-A, 115.03 GB
Serial ATA Device: TOSHIBA MK2555GSXF, 250.06 GB
USB Device: Internal Memory Card Reader, apple_vendor_id, 0x8403, 0x26100000 / 2
USB Device: Built-in iSight, apple_vendor_id, 0x8507, 0x24600000 / 2
USB Device: BRCM2046 Hub, 0x0a5c  (Broadcom Corp.), 0x4500, 0x06600000 / 4
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, apple_vendor_id, 0x8213, 0x06610000 / 6
USB Device: IR Receiver, apple_vendor_id, 0x8242, 0x06500000 / 3
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, apple_vendor_id, 0x0236, 0x06300000 / 2

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Have you checked Console? If you can't remember the last time it panicked, just remember to check Console first thing after it comes back up from the next panic.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily
com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily(2.0.8)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6.8)
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage(2.0.3)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily(2.0.8)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily(1.7.1)

AHCI is your SATA controller. I would think either hard drives are bad, your SATA controller is bad or your SATA controller doesn't like your nonstandard drive layout. No idea past that.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

BlackMK4 posted:

I've been getting a bunch of kernel panics lately seemingly randomly..
AppleAHCI
com.parallels.kext.prl_hypervisor 7.0 15054.722853
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp 4.1.8
Serial ATA Device: Corsair CSSD-F115GB2-A, 115.03 GB

This could indicate that your third-party SSD is giving OS X fits. Is there an updated firmware available for your SSD? Are you using the TRIM enabler hack?

Also, I'd uninstall one or both of Parallels or Virtualbox. Different virtual machine products tend to not play well together, and sometimes contribute to an unstable system.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BlackMK4 posted:

code:
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp	4.1.8
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt	4.1.8
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB	4.1.8
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv	4.1.8

Do you have Virtualbox running and using wifi for networking?

The other thing I would try is putting your factory RAM back in.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

chimz posted:

This could indicate that your third-party SSD is giving OS X fits. Is there an updated firmware available for your SSD? Are you using the TRIM enabler hack?

Also, I'd uninstall one or both of Parallels or Virtualbox. Different virtual machine products tend to not play well together, and sometimes contribute to an unstable system.

I'm not sure about firmware, this setup has been flawless since January. No TRIM enabler being used either.

I'll try getting rid of vbox and parallels, I haven't used either lately.

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011

Thanks much. I'll just sit tight for now.

damaca
Feb 7, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm not sure about firmware, this setup has been flawless since January. No TRIM enabler being used either.

I'll try getting rid of vbox and parallels, I haven't used either lately.

I'm in the same boat as well, and is partly the reason why I decided to buy a new MBA a few days ago.

Do you use Chrome? I've had many problems with that for the last few weeks.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

My girlfriend has a mid-2010 Macbook Pro, i5 processor and 4gb 1067mHz DDR3 RAM.

It's freezing a lot. I've tried everything I can think of, including upgrading to Lion, trying to bootcamp to Windows 7 to diagnose, downloading an app that sets it to always run on the integrated graphics, and finally taking it to the Apple store.

On Windows 7, it ran 4 hours of Prime95 without a fault, and 10 minutes of Furmark at full resolution without a hitch. Crystal Disk Info showed no errors. Then it froze an hour later for no apparent reason.

The Apple Store held on to it for a couple of days for "testing" and finally said there's no problem with it. But there is, it freezes every hour or so, far more frequently if Photoshop is running.

My final test I'm doing is Memtest, it's been through the testing twice now and found no errors. My girlfriend's pretty much got the shits with the whole situation and wants a Windows desktop computer instead (ie, one I can easily maintain for her). I'm cool to build her one.

My question is: Are there any places around that buy broken/freezing macbooks to refurbish, and what sort of prices are they paying? I'm in Melbourne, Australia, so anything would need to be somewhere in this city.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
How much do you want for it? I'd buy it and just try to work out the problem/fix it. Honestly no idea what it's worth though, sorry.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

damaca posted:

I'm in the same boat as well, and is partly the reason why I decided to buy a new MBA a few days ago.

Do you use Chrome? I've had many problems with that for the last few weeks.

Yup. Chrome might be the issue now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Yup. Chrome might be the issue now.

Only models with the HD 4000 graphics are crashing with Chrome

damaca
Feb 7, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

My girlfriend has a mid-2010 Macbook Pro, i5 processor and 4gb 1067mHz DDR3 RAM.

It's freezing a lot. I've tried everything I can think of, including upgrading to Lion, trying to bootcamp to Windows 7 to diagnose, downloading an app that sets it to always run on the integrated graphics, and finally taking it to the Apple store.

I've been trying to diagnose my own problem, and your situation seems almost identical to mine (Mid-2010 mbp) General system instability (even the loving APP STORE has crashed on me) as well as many different types of crashes - black screen, kernel panic, and a bizarre situation where I can move the cursor but everything on the screen is unresponsive.

Chrome has caused me all kinds of grief over the last few weeks. My issues have definitely minimised when using Safari.

There's been two things that could vary our issue - I decided to empty a bottle of beer all over the laptop two years ago, and I recently upgraded the ram to 8gb Corsair.

Have you reinstalled OSX? I've tried nuking the system, but the 10gb lion recovery download fucks up every single time. Apple :bang:

What types of crashes are you getting (kernel panic, black screen, etc)? Apple has acknowledged issues with the 2010 Macs - http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20119849-263/apple-acknowledges-2010-macbook-pro-black-screen-bug/?tag=mncol;txt

Whether that has been resolved, I'm not sure.

damaca fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 8, 2012

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
AlphaDog and damaca, it sounds like you both have the REP issue (if you have the 15" model). There's a 4-5 minute test that any Apple Store or AASP can run for you to confirm (referred to as "VST," in case you get a new person or someone who hasn't done it before).

damaca
Feb 7, 2009

Sonic Dude posted:

AlphaDog and damaca, it sounds like you both have the REP issue (if you have the 15" model). There's a 4-5 minute test that any Apple Store or AASP can run for you to confirm (referred to as "VST," in case you get a new person or someone who hasn't done it before).

Thanks for that. Will see about this tomorrow.

If this turns out to be the culprit, I assume it won't be free to fix? I wasn't particularly interested in Applecare after I covered my MBP in beer.

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-UCGGkSciI

My 27" thunderbolt display is doing the flicker thing shown in the video about once every minute. Its very annoying. Googling this problems lead me to this: http://notebooks.com/2011/09/29/apple-releases-fix-for-flickering-thunderbolt-displays-in-forums/ but its from 3 years ago and is a 404.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

how!! posted:

My 27" thunderbolt display is doing the flicker thing shown in the video about once every minute. Its very annoying. Googling this problems lead me to this: http://notebooks.com/2011/09/29/apple-releases-fix-for-flickering-thunderbolt-displays-in-forums/ but its from 3 years ago and is a 404.

weird. mine doesn't do that at all.

In other news, I installed a bestskinsever skin on my retina pro yesterday afternoon, and it rules. No bubbles, perfect fit. My macbook has a nice grippy feel to it now, which is awesome as well. Highly recommended!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

how!! posted:

http://unreal-designs.net/AppleBytes/?p=164

Hopefully the old fix is relevant to the 27"