Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

What kind of flavor profile do those chiles have? I'd have to hunt down a substitute. I have a giant bag of dried generic hot red peppers at the moment.

Posted earlier in the thread, will repost. This resource is invaluable for people wanting to know about dried peppers: http://www.foodsubs.com/Chiledry.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GrAviTy84 posted:

Posted earlier in the thread, will repost. This resource is invaluable for people wanting to know about dried peppers: http://www.foodsubs.com/Chiledry.html

Nice. None of those are what I have but this will be useful, thanks.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Anyone ever smoke their own Chipotles? I've got a smoker and a healthy jalapeno plant... not sure if this is better asked here or in the smoking meat thread. Can I use hot smoke or does it have to be cold?

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Newbie venturing into 'make your own chili powder' territory tonight. I have three bags of dried Ancho, Arbol, and Mulato peppers. Do I use equal parts? I'm going for more flavor than kick, but a bit of heat would be nice.. Also, if I'm shooting to yield about 1 cup, about how much Cumin should I use?

Edit: Winged it. Had to throw in more Arbols to get it close to where I wanted it, and adding a pinch of cinnamon got it even closer. Probably going to be a mad scientist with spices now. The difference between my attempt and store bought stuff is amazing, and I'm a novice.

I'm going for ironlegs recipe and I cannot find the sausage anywhere around here. Should I substitute with a different sausage or use ground stuff?

PowderKeg fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 19, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

Anyone ever smoke their own Chipotles? I've got a smoker and a healthy jalapeno plant... not sure if this is better asked here or in the smoking meat thread. Can I use hot smoke or does it have to be cold?

I always wonder about this, because I don't understand how they go from green to tan brown.

you should find out, and tell us!

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

I can't comment on jalapenos but I've been smoking poblanos, Anaheims and serrano chiles all day alongside a big hunk of beef and you're going to want to use hot smoke.

amishbuttermaster fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 21, 2012

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I'm going to be trying my first chili tonight, and just wondering if I could seek some advice.

First, I don't like kidney beans, but I do love corn. Is corn an acceptable substitute for the kidney beans? (I'm saying kidney beans since they're what I always see in chilis here)

Secondly, does anyone thing Cous Cous goes well with chili?

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Chili is great, because everybody has their own idea of what a decent chili should be. Loads of people use corn in their chili, me included.

Kidney beans are definitely not a must, and Texas-style chili is beanless. I like a mix of pinto, black and kidney when I make chili.

Serve it with couscous if you like, but I can't say I'd choose it over tortillas/crackers or rice.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
So I made a chili with my father today. It was my first time doing it.

We used ground beef and canned diced tomato, with spice and store-bought chili powder (I know...). Basically we browned the meat, drained the fat, put back in the pot with tomato and spice and beef broth, then I added one chipotle and we cooked it for about an hour. Then we added masa flour and later we added kidney beans and a green pepper. Also my dad thought it needed sweetness so he poured in some pear nectar.

It tasted good but I think the flavor wasn't that strong. I added some raw onion, grated cheddar, and sour cream when I ate it.

For next time, what can I do better? So far I'm thinking making the chili powder, getting pre-cut sirloin beef instead of ground? I also don't think the tomato added anything and I might drop it. I have to be careful with the chiles because my family has a very low spicyness tolerance. Also my mother has diverticulitis so I also have to be careful that she doesn't get any of the bell peppers. But aside from that, I guess I haven't really seen the True Power of Chili because it couldn't have cooked for more than 2 hours. Based on this thread I should add beer or coffee (why those?) at some point before letting it cook for a long time. I don't have a cast-iron pot or crockpot, though, does that matter a lot? And will it thicken at all or just be a 8-hour stew where I dump some flour in at the end or something? The alchemy of the long cook is not clear to me. Also when does everything go in the pot? I'm guessing it's something like brown meat + spices and chili powder + onions/other things you want to be in there for a long time, then let it cook for a while, then add a thickening agent, then the bell peppers a lil before taking it off the stove?

I'm thinking about trying a chicken one, with black beans and corn instead of kidney beans and some rice, although I don't know when the rice goes in, especially if it's like a boxed dry rice. Help me understand chili :S

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

So I made a chili with my father today. It was my first time doing it.

We used ground beef and canned diced tomato, with spice and store-bought chili powder (I know...). Basically we browned the meat, drained the fat, put back in the pot with tomato and spice and beef broth, then I added one chipotle and we cooked it for about an hour. Then we added masa flour and later we added kidney beans and a green pepper. Also my dad thought it needed sweetness so he poured in some pear nectar.

It tasted good but I think the flavor wasn't that strong. I added some raw onion, grated cheddar, and sour cream when I ate it.

For next time, what can I do better? So far I'm thinking making the chili powder, getting pre-cut sirloin beef instead of ground? I also don't think the tomato added anything and I might drop it. I have to be careful with the chiles because my family has a very low spicyness tolerance. Also my mother has diverticulitis so I also have to be careful that she doesn't get any of the bell peppers. But aside from that, I guess I haven't really seen the True Power of Chili because it couldn't have cooked for more than 2 hours. Based on this thread I should add beer or coffee (why those?) at some point before letting it cook for a long time. I don't have a cast-iron pot or crockpot, though, does that matter a lot? And will it thicken at all or just be a 8-hour stew where I dump some flour in at the end or something? The alchemy of the long cook is not clear to me. Also when does everything go in the pot? I'm guessing it's something like brown meat + spices and chili powder + onions/other things you want to be in there for a long time, then let it cook for a while, then add a thickening agent, then the bell peppers a lil before taking it off the stove?

I'm thinking about trying a chicken one, with black beans and corn instead of kidney beans and some rice, although I don't know when the rice goes in, especially if it's like a boxed dry rice. Help me understand chili :S

-Don't use ground meat. I usually go with a mix of cubed beef and pork shoulder. If you're going to use pork, make sure it's butt or shoulder. Loin gets tough and gross if you simmer it as long as chili needs to simmer.

-If you're going to include tomato, ditch the cans and slice up some fresh tomato. They're cheap, you have no excuse.

-Black beans are a good idea. My favorite bean. If you get dry beans, pre-soak them over night after a good rinse.

-Never heard of using pear nectar as a sweetener before. Sounds okay to me, but if it tasted weird, you might try honey, molasses, or agave nectar. I'll usually do one of those.

-You don't need flour or any other thickener. Just simmer it with the lid off and it'll thicken down (NOTE: If you're doing 8 hours, you may want to wait until the second half before taking the lid off).

-I don't use coffee, so I'll leave that to someone else, but the beer just stews in some good flavor, plus the acidity of the alcohol tenderizes the meat a bit.

-You really should try simmering it for at least 8 hours. I do mine for 24, but from what I've seen in this chili thread and the last, nobody else does and it may not even make a huge difference. The slow cooking is important because it softens the vegetables, reduces the chiles, tenderizes the meat, and blends and develops the flavor. The slow cook time is really really essential, and I'm sure other goons will show up to explain more about why. It's easiest to do it with a crock pot or with a cast iron pot in the oven, but stovetop works too if you keep it on low heat and baby it by stirring up the bottom every 20 mins or so to keep it from sticking.

-The rice goes in after the chili is ready. Rice is not part of the dish. Rice is a side you serve the chili on. Cook it separately. If you mix it in, the rice will tend to absorb all liquid in the leftovers when you try to freeze or refrigerate them, making your reheated leftovers dry and gummy.

-The proper order is: sear meat (doesn't have to be cooked all the way through, and ideally is not), mix in spices, add liquid ingredients, then add your chile peppers (and any other vegetables you mean to include).

And above all else,

-Chile peppers. They are the namesake of the dish, do not skimp on them. De-seed them if you must to wimp them down, use only jalapenos or similar weak peppers, but don't skimp on them. That's flavor, and it's the most important part of the dish. For five pounds of meat, I'll use over a pound of peppers. You must not skimp on the peppers. Bell peppers do not count, those are not chiles. Only include Bell Peppers if you like the taste or want to add something nutritionally or are feeding a lot of people and need to bulk up the volume of your end product. If you are feeding someone who is allergic to bell peppers or otherwise can't eat them, don't use them. If you have family who cannot eat peppers in general, do not feed them chili.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

For next time, what can I do better?

Help me understand chili :S

one thing you could do better is read this thread

seriously what kind of effortless post is that. there's literally this entire thread that is dedicated to "things you can do better when making chili", and you're asking how you can improve on cooking ground meat and beans with canned chili powder?

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Heres Hank posted:

-Chile peppers. They are the namesake of the dish, do not skimp on them. De-seed them if you must to wimp them down, use only jalapenos or similar weak peppers, but don't skimp on them. That's flavor, and it's the most important part of the dish. For five pounds of meat, I'll use over a pound of peppers. You must not skimp on the peppers. Bell peppers do not count, those are not chiles. Only include Bell Peppers if you like the taste or want to add something nutritionally or are feeding a lot of people and need to bulk up the volume of your end product. If you are feeding someone who is allergic to bell peppers or otherwise can't eat them, don't use them. If you have family who cannot eat peppers in general, do not feed them chili.

I had a kind of epiphany when I realized bell peppers had no place in the chili. When I substituted them for a variety of different chili peppers, the flavor was so much better. Bell peppers really don't add anything except for texture and water.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Heres Hank posted:

fresh tomatoes > canned

Unless they're in season you're going to get a lot more out of chopping up whole canned imported tomatoes if you put tomatoes in your chili. Just make sure they don't have calcium chloride on the ingredients, as that's the reason some canned tomatoes never break down into a nice sauce.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

NightConqueror posted:

I had a kind of epiphany when I realized bell peppers had no place in the chili. When I substituted them for a variety of different chili peppers, the flavor was so much better. Bell peppers really don't add anything except for texture and water.

Thank god, somebody else realizes this. Looking up a dozen different chili recipes and besides the usual (beans, chuck steak) 8 out of 12 would have bell peppers. I want to know who decided to keep this abomination alive in the culinary world.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I really only ever use bell peppers for texture or color anyway, even outside of chili. They're easily missed flavor-wise. Though I do like charred bell peppers in my fajitas.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
... bell peppers?

even in all the heathen bean-filled grey meat "chilis" I have seen in my time, I don't think I've ever seen bell peppers. maybe I'm just blocking it out though.

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008

mindphlux posted:

... bell peppers?

even in all the heathen bean-filled grey meat "chilis" I have seen in my time, I don't think I've ever seen bell peppers. maybe I'm just blocking it out though.

I'm pretty sure Wendy's uses bell peppers in their "chili". They may also add snozzcumbers and hate.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sharon is Karen posted:

I'm pretty sure Wendy's uses bell peppers in their "chili". They may also add snozzcumbers and hate.

well, I've never been to a wendy's, so I guess there we have it.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
Did my chili yesterday/today.

Ingredients:

3.5 lbs mixed cubed stew beef and pork shoulder
2 lbs assorted chiles
1 Bell Pepper (sorry my wife likes it)
3 Tomatoes
2 Onions
6 cloves Garlic
1 shot Honey
1 shot Tequila
1 bottle microbrew
2 cans Tomato Sauce
2 cups dried black beans, soaked overnight before starting
1/4 cup Flour
5 Tbsp Chili Powder
1/2 Tbsp Oregano
1 Tbsp Cumin

Get your ingredients together.

Peppers. Lots of peppers.

Cut the peppers.

Cut everything else.

Sear the meat, then dump everything in a crock pot. First meat, then spices, then liquids, then produce.

Simmer that poo poo for a fuckin' day. You heard me. 24 hours.

Eat it. I had mine on rice with a sharp white cheddar and chopped cilantro.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I sometimes put diced roasted bell peppers in chili. Nothing wrong with it, because I don't claim my chili is the Platonic ideal, one-true-chili. It has beans in it, too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Chili is the dougie of foods

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
What about chili toppings?

I like to eat chili with nothing on it, or chili with sriracha, grated cheese and a finely diced raw red onion on top.

Any other ideas?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

paraquat posted:

What about chili toppings?

I like to eat chili with nothing on it, or chili with sriracha, grated cheese and a finely diced raw red onion on top.

Any other ideas?

Sour cream and grated cheddar is delicious on top of chili. Also, oyster crackers or saltines or even ritz I guess.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Top your chili with more chili.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Scientastic posted:

Top your chili with more chili.

Is chili the only food that can be a condiment... and have condiments added to it?? :2bong:

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

Is chili the only food that can be a condiment... and have condiments added to it?? :2bong:

Cheese.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I would like to know how on earth you make chili beans.

I don't mean bean chili. I don't mean vegetarian chili. I mean the stuff you can find canned in the supermarket labeled "Chili Beans". Basically, pinto beans that have been infused with hot stuff. I use it as an ingredient for my regular chili recipe.

I grind my own chili powder from dried chilis. I make my own spice blends. I tinker with ratios and stuff like that, so I'd like to know how to make these beans myself, starting from hard pintos.

Here's what I know, having tried it: Chili beans are not merely cooked beans + chili powder. Nor is it cooked beans + chili sauce. Both attempts were gross.

Looking online, I can find dozens of "How to cook beans" instructions, but they tend to insist on cooking them in clean water, or even distilled water! So cooking the beans in spiced water seems out as well.

Nowhere online seems to give instructions on chili beans... merely bean chili.

So... I'm stumped. How do you do it?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is this the sort of thing you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l35DLEEmxyM

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
That is. It seems the trick is that you have to cook them twice, once to soften them, and once with all the spices. So my mistake was basically just adding the spices to the once-cooked beans and not re-cooking with the spices.

Very helpful. Of course, that video showed the use of MASSIVE amounts of spices... wow! And also posted no actual measurements. I suppose I can experiment more.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Please don't murder me for using (canned, no less) beans or cheap meat. :ohdear:

I had a whole bunch of cans of stuff sitting around, so I decided to make something of them. Unfortunately, the grocery store's selection of peppers was lacking at best, so I had to make do with what I could. Also, I don't have a meat grinder or money for good cuts and I had a pound of bacon I needed to get rid of, so bacon and ground beef it is.

Here's what I came up with:
1/2 lb poblano peppers
1/2 lb serrano peppers
3 small yellow onions, diced
1 lb bacon
1 lb ground beef
2 28oz canned whole, peeled plum tomatoes
1 22oz can black beans, drained
1 16oz can pinto beans, drained
1 16oz can dark red kidney beans, drained
2 cups black coffee
4oz silver tequila
2 tbsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tbsp ground ancho pepper
2 tsp hot spanish paprika
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp sriracha sauce
1 tbsp whole cumin seed
1 tbsp vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic
oregano to taste
basil to taste
salt to taste

(measurements may be off, I'm not a particularly careful cook)

To start, I roasted the poblano and serrano peppers under the broiler until they started to blacken. I then took them out, peeled the poblano peppers and set them aside.

Then, in a frying pan I combined the cumin seed, garlic, vegetable oil, roughly a teaspoon of salt, and one onion. I heated it, stirring constantly, until the cumin seeds started to pop. Then, I combined the peppers (both roasted and dried powder,) the contents of the frying pan, the sriracha sauce, some oregano, and some basil in a blender and blended until it was a chunky paste and set it aside.

In that same frying pan, I fried the bacon until it was properly charcoal, drained it and crumbled it into a large pot. Next, I fried the ground beef until brown, drained it, and added it to the pot.

Next, I drained the tomatoes (and set the liquid aside) and added them to the pot, along with the drained beans, coffee, tequila, the remaining onions, and the chili paste. I used some of the liquid from the tomatoes to rinse out the remainder of the paste into the pot, and discarded the rest. I then set it on a low flame and let it come to a simmer, at which point I stirred in the cocoa powder and let it simmer for about an hour, after which I hit the tomatoes with a potato masher to break them up a little bit and let it coast.

The end result is a moderately spicy and flavorful, but nowhere near extraordinary chili... it tastes strongly of chile verde, probably because the pepper base was mostly poblano peppers.

Any suggestions on how to improve it?

corgski fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 7, 2012

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

thelightguy posted:

Please don't murder me for using (canned, no less) beans or cheap meat. :ohdear:

thelightguy posted:

Any suggestions on how to improve it?

Well you could fix that, for starters. (Nicer meat- not ground will make a much larger difference than canned->dried beans)

Try it without any tomatoes. Even drained they're adding a lot of water, surely, and lowering the impact of what you do have. I also find they don't actually add a whole lot to the 'chili' flavor.

Also I think maybe using coffee AND cocoa might be a bit much? Try making your own chili powder with the recipe on the wiki maybe, it makes a big difference in flavor as well.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Comic posted:

Try making your own chili powder with the recipe on the wiki maybe, it makes a big difference in flavor as well.

Looking at it, I had all the ingredients for that powder in there, I just didn't prepare it beforehand or use dried onion/garlic. I may screw with ratios a bit though. I assure you I didn't use any "chili spice" packet.

E: I'll try doing it without the tomatoes next time though. Sounds interesting.

corgski fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 7, 2012

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

thelightguy posted:

Looking at it, I had all the ingredients for that powder in there, I just didn't prepare it beforehand or use dried onion/garlic. I may screw with ratios a bit though. I assure you I didn't use any "chili spice" packet.

E: I'll try doing it without the tomatoes next time though. Sounds interesting.

Yeah, you had most of the stuff there but the ratios were quite different, and overall I think maybe less 'chili powder'? If the ground dried pepper and stuff you used was pre-ground it likely lost some punch too.

It's surprising how much oils dried peppers will release, I have more issues dealing with dried peppers than fresh regarding them.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

NightConqueror posted:

I think it adds a nice flavor. I usually cook up a couple strips of bacon and then dump equal portions of onion/bell pepper/jalepenos into the skillet, then dice up the bacon and dump them all in the pot together at the start.

It definitely doesn't detract from the end result or keep you from putting in whatever other combination of peppers you want. (I usually use anchos for the base, jalepenos for flavor, and chipotle powder as the seasoning blend base).

It is really hard to go wrong as long as the bulk of your chili is made of chilis and meat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Made chili and used the chili soaking liquid so it was really bitter. So I added chocolate and now it was too sweet. So I used some ~Thai cooking skillz~ and balanced that sweet with sour (lemon, lime, vinegar-based hot sauce), spicy (it was already really dang spicy), and salty (fish sauce). And also tomato paste for good measure because tomatoes can balance sugar a lil' and glutamate's my friend. Came out a-ok!!!!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have just made Doom Rooster's recipe and it is so goddamn awesome, I cannot wait for my friends to arrive so I can eat it without feeling shame for jumping the gun. I've never had chilli like this before, only the stuff with both tomatos and beans. This is a lot more 'me'.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

No Wave posted:

Made chili and used the chili soaking liquid so it was really bitter. So I added chocolate and now it was too sweet. So I used some ~Thai cooking skillz~ and balanced that sweet with sour (lemon, lime, vinegar-based hot sauce), spicy (it was already really dang spicy), and salty (fish sauce). And also tomato paste for good measure because tomatoes can balance sugar a lil' and glutamate's my friend. Came out a-ok!!!!

Could be wrong here, but I am pretty sure you want to be using unsweetened choclate in chili. I did that with the batch I've currently got and it gives a very nice, subtle flavor.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
I finally managed to get some chipotles in abdo sauce (hard to find where I live) and want to try putting some in my next batch of chili.

What is the best way to use them? Just chuck them in whole and fish them out at the end? Or try and dice/blend them?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Xarb posted:

I finally managed to get some chipotles in abdo sauce (hard to find where I live) and want to try putting some in my next batch of chili.

What is the best way to use them? Just chuck them in whole and fish them out at the end? Or try and dice/blend them?

use them like you would use anchovies. eat one, then finely mince the rest and add the proportion you need based on saltiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duece Ex Machina
Aug 6, 2008
I made Iron Leg's recipe for the 4th time last night and finally got it right. My previous attempts were, in order, too thick (not enough stock and beer), too spicy (first time making homemade chili powder, was not a success), and too greasy.

But yesterday was just amazing. I started it early, around 3pm, and by the time we ate at 11 half of the sirloin had shredded while the other half was still whole, it was spicy but not too spicy (and will likely have mellowed even more out overnight), and it was just delicious.

Now it's time to reread the thread and incorporate some of the more esoteric suggestions.

God damnit I love chili. Thank you, SA chili thread.