Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultras Lazio
May 22, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brown Moses posted:

ABC News just contacted me about my blog post about Tlass, seems the lack of actual information on him has made my blog a top result on Google. And I've got an even bigger story to come on him.

Good grief, any more of this and soon you'll start charging us for the prime seat.

I want my un-known Brown Moses back. (only kidding, with a new-born and a wife, you'll need all the dough you can get :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0l5togayig

I swear Jordanian politics isn't usually so violent.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Xandu posted:

Wow, that looked like fun. Can we get some back ground on who/what is happening? What got them so riled up?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

They're both Jordanian MPs and they're arguing about Syria, and then the guy on the right (pro-Assad, big surprise there) gets really angry and throws a shoe and then pulls his gun.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The one MP and the host got some brass balls to try to dissuade that one guy with the gun.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Young Freud posted:

The one MP and the host got some brass balls to try to dissuade that one guy with the gun.

Seriously, it's too bad the sound was cut because the way he just points his finger at the dude, after calmly putting his glasses away, at 1:16 is amazing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Young Freud posted:

Open vacancies at Jordanian Radio and Television Corporation:

Political Journalist
Requirements:
* bachelor or higher degree in journalism
* at least 2 years work experience as a bouncer, bodyguard or riot police

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
A Libyan friend just posted this message-

JUST VOTED IN LIBYA'S FIRST NATIONAL ELECTIONS SINCE THE FALL OF THE QADDAFI REGIME. A great feeling multiplied by the exuberant sense of joy expressed by the people on the street. After voting we rode to Martyrs' Square which was crowded with honking cars draped with fluttering flags. It was at least 90 degrees at 10:00 A.M. but people were still streaming in. I imagine a big party there tonight.

Sad that so-called federalist thugs are trying to disrupt the elections in Benghazi, sad that the cradle of the revolution and country's living heart, Benghazi, is being robbed of the joy it deserved more than any other city in the country.

The voting process was as orderly as any I'd participated in in the U.S. People stood in line, and they never stand in line. People talked about the issues, and did not reveal who they voted for.

And below the sense of decorum and awareness of the importance of this moment, there was a sense of excitement and real joy that could not be con tainted. Women ululated and men shouted praise to God as they exited the voting stations. They pinned flags to their cars and honked their horns as they drove around the city.

This is indeed a new era. Beyond the hope lies an awareness of potential, and despite an intuition steeped in corruption, there is a desire to do things fairly and properly. What's interesting about the elections, it seems to me, is that a collective experience of self-respect is reflecting itself on individuals. A social contract made up of individual signatories who must now feel bound by it. We shall see disturbances, and an aftershock of cynicism for sure, but a sea change has taken place. And all for the better, I hope, still.

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
One thing that seems mildly undemocratic is they did not even ask people whether they wanted a parliament, bicameral legislature, social republic, decentralized federalist system to account for cultural and political differences, or whatever -- someone else (the NTC) decided for them.

So it went directly to, "pick your MP!" :thumbsup: without any serious discussion of what structure the people wanted.

zero alpha fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 7, 2012

something original
Sep 9, 2011
All of those can be changed or reformed with a democratic mandate.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Annan: We have failed on Syria

As if that wasn't obvious enough weeks/months ago.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

And the people elected today will be responsible for writing the constitution and various other aspects of the new political system, so nothing is set in stone yet. Reports suggest things have gone well, and those areas where voting was disrupted will have there voting time extended and moved to other polling stations where ever necessary.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Section 31 posted:

Annan: We have failed on Syria As if that wasn't obvious enough weeks/months ago.

Kofi Annan is a do-nothing who tries to play nice with war criminals for fear of making people angry. You'd think that after the Rwandan Genocide people would realize that he simply has no business being in charge of peacekeeping anything. He's just too much of an optimist.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Kaal posted:

Kofi Annan is a do-nothing who tries to play nice with war criminals for fear of making people angry. You'd think that after the Rwandan Genocide people would realize that he simply has no business being in charge of peacekeeping anything. He's just too much of an optimist.

Kofi Annan makes Neville Chamberlain look like an interventionist warmonger. I really can't imagine why they even bothered to send him of all people to get Assad to stop.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Spiderfist Island posted:

Kofi Annan makes Neville Chamberlain look like an interventionist warmonger. I really can't imagine why they even bothered to send him of all people to get Assad to stop.

Annan makes inaction look good, that's why. It's the UN equivalent of letting an issue die in committee.

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Never mind, stupid derail. Congrats Libya, this is a tremendous achievement and I wish you peace, stability and prosperity.

zero alpha fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 7, 2012

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I feel that the Libyan elections aren't quite as dramatic as the Egyptian ones, since the Egyptian one was a battle between good and evil while in Libya it's just choosing between normal candidates since the all the people and the elements of the old regime has been killed, literally.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Al-Saqr posted:

I feel that the Libyan elections aren't quite as dramatic as the Egyptian ones, since the Egyptian one was a battle between good and evil while in Libya it's just choosing between normal candidates since the all the people and the elements of the old regime has been killed, literally.

It'll be interesting to see which country is a more stable democracy 5 or 10 years from now.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Spiderfist Island posted:

Kofi Annan *has no powers*. The UN is *not a country*. And despite that, the brief semi-ceasefire he managed to produce was probably the most anyone has managed to do for Syria up to this point. Blaming Annan for anything is absolutely ridiculous. What's he supposed to do? Command the security council to declare an intervention?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Seeing reports of militias burning ballots. :ohdear:

What militia would that be?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xandu posted:

Well I'll be, I didn't know they had Zell Millers in Jordan.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ufarn posted:

Seeing reports of militias burning ballots. :ohdear:

What militia would that be?

Some pro-Federalist groups caused some problems, but nothing really major. From what I've read most of the damage they did has been dealt with so no-one misses out on voting.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Some pro-Federalist groups caused some problems, but nothing really major. From what I've read most of the damage they did has been dealt with so no-one misses out on voting.
Ah, so they weren't cast ballots?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

No, unless you've heard of another incident. After at least one of those incidents the voters themselves blocked anyone who wasn't voting from going near the ballot place using cars as a barricade.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's my latest post on the weapons of the FSA, going to make it a regular feature, as it's a good way to track the weapons being used by the FSA and how their equipment is improving. This week, more mortars, more captured armour, and more truck mounted guns, plus some bonus bomb and rocket making.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the latest of the Libyan election

quote:

Jibril’s National Forces Alliance looks set for victory

Mahmoud Jibril’s National Forces Alliance (NFA) looks set for victory in Libya’s historic National Conference elections, the Libya Herald can reveal.

Early indications from both Tripoli and Benghazi suggest the NFA is comfortably ahead of any of its 130 rivals, including major contenders such as the Justice & Construction Party, the Nation Party and the National Front.

In spite of early disruptions in eastern Libya, voter turnout was also high. Late today HNEC head Nuri Al-Abbar said total voter turnout was 60 per cent, with 1.6 million of Libya’s 2.8 million electors having cast their vote.

said he believed voter turnout across the country had exceeded 60 per cent. Out of a total of 1554 polling centres across the country, 24 were unable to operate, including two in Kufra, six in Sidra and eight in Benghazi.

Initial suggestions of an NFA victory emerged from a series of unofficial Libya Herald exit polls conducted at various polling centres in Libya’s two largest cities over the course of the day.

This evening, the Libya Herald observed vote counters at the Hurriya (Freedom) voting station in Benghazi, with many if not the majority of votes appearing to be for Jibril’s coalition.

A senior official at the HNEC in Tripoli subsequently confirmed that his indicators also suggested that the NFA was out in front. “From what I’m hearing now, it does appear that Jibril is going to do the best”, the official said.

One young NFA supporter queuing to buy ice cream in the Suq Al-Juma district of Tripoli today said that she had spoken to at least 50 of her friends, with “all planning to vote for Jibril’s alliance”.

“I feel that he’s not like other politicians”, said Musab Al-Majjub, a businessman from Misrata now living in the capital. “I trust him. I think he will be able to unite all Libyans”.

However, an NFA victory would not please all Libyans. Yesterday the Libya Herald was contacted by a prominent Libyan politician who claimed that former revolutionaries had been meeting across Libya over the past few days to discuss possible action should Jibril win. He said that action would be taken on the grounds that a victory for him would be a “theft of their revolution”.

Jibril, who served as head of the National Economic Development Board under Qaddafi, cut a controversial figure as head of the NTC’s executive office during last year’s revolution. Some Libyans believe that his past ties to the Qaddafi regime make him an unsuitable figure to lead the new Libya.

Jibril has also been denounced as an “extreme secularist”, by the leading Islamist cleric Ali Salabi, although he has repeatedly denied this. The NFA is nonetheless seen as at the more pragmatic end of Libya’s political spectrum, especially when compared with more avowedly Islamist groups such as the Justice & Construction Party.

Even if the NFA do prevail, however, this does not necessarily mean it will hold the balance of power in the National Conference. Libya’s complicated voting system has been deliberately designed to prevent an outright majority being obtained by any one party, with parties only in contention for 80 of the Conference’s 200 seats.

The remaining 120 seats are reserved for individual candidates, who remain the great unknown of this election. Although clear favourites were emerging in some constituencies over the course of the day, the agendas of many remain unclear.

The extent to which the winners of individual seats choose to congregate around the major political parties in the National Conference could in fact be the most important factor in determining who wields real control after the elections.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Fangz posted:

Kofi Annan *has no powers*. The UN is *not a country*. And despite that, the brief semi-ceasefire he managed to produce was probably the most anyone has managed to do for Syria up to this point. Blaming Annan for anything is absolutely ridiculous. What's he supposed to do? Command the security council to declare an intervention?

He could start by not covering for Assad in the international community. He could have reported back to the UNSC that Syria was devolving into a sectarian conflict, and that Assad was killing thousands of innocents in order to stay in power. He could have used his peacekeeping forces to establish a temporary refugee conduit out of the country. Instead he dicked around for months talking about "maintaining the peace" when there was artillery raining down on cities. He finally came up with a six-point plan that had no basis on the facts on the ground and no one would ever agree to. He pulled the same crap with Rwanda, and allowed hundreds of thousands to be killed without even a voice of protest. Kofi Annan is the man who gets sent to difficult situations in order to do nothing about them.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Kaal posted:

He could start by not covering for Assad in the international community. He could have reported back to the UNSC that Syria was devolving into a sectarian conflict, and that Assad was killing thousands of innocents in order to stay in power.

You don't know what he told the Security Council. Consultations are closed.

quote:

He could have used his peacekeeping forces to establish a temporary refugee conduit out of the country. Instead he dicked around for months talking about "maintaining the peace" when there was artillery raining down on cities.

No he couldn't have. First of all, he had no command over UNSMIS. Secondly, establishing a refugee conduit wasn't under the mandate of UNSMIS from the Security Council.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 8, 2012

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be honest i don't know what he could've done to avoid the civil war. He could call Assad every bad word in the dictionary, what would that do other than give the rebels moral support?

A ground invasion is out of line, the Syrian army is simply too strong ( some of their forces have actual military training :ohdear:) for that and supplying rebels with firearms is the only thing they can do, which i assume Turkey is already doing.

And don't even say economic sanctions because i don't think those ever worked.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Mans posted:

To be honest i don't know what he could've done to avoid the civil war. He could call Assad every bad word in the dictionary, what would that do other than give the rebels moral support?

It also would have jeopardized Russian/Chinese support for UNSMIS, as they were intended to be a neutral party. In addition to endangering the lives of the unarmed monitors.

Annan and UNSMIS were explicitly not there to forcibly stop a civil war in Syria and they had no real capability to do so. They were there to monitor and advocate/negotiate Syrian implementation of the plan which all parties nominally agreed to.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 8, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mans posted:

A ground invasion is out of line, the Syrian army is simply too strong ( some of their forces have actual military training :ohdear:) for that and supplying rebels with firearms is the only thing they can do, which i assume Turkey is already doing.

You mean like Iraq and its army?

The difference in power between a military like Syria's and the US or a European power is several magnitudes apart. You'd be looking at a Russia vs Georgia scenario, even if it was just Turkey that invaded claiming retribution for the fighter pilots.

Invading would be beyond stupid, but there's nothing Syria's military could do to stop it even if you ignore that they're being beaten by the uprising.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
^^^^ While it's true any developed force could walk right into Aleppo, that uprising is no joke, and as soon as the invasion was over, it would be time to get out or you'll be fighting the remains of the Syrian Army, the FSA, and whoever jumps in to push out the invaders on their home front, and not many countries in this world, if any, could handle that for any extended amount of time.

az jan jananam posted:

It also would have jeopardized Russian/Chinese support for UNSMIS, as they were intended to be a neutral party. In addition to endangering the lives of the unarmed monitors.

Annan and UNSMIS were explicitly not there to forcibly stop a civil war in Syria and they had no real capability to do so. They were there to monitor and advocate/negotiate Syrian implementation of the plan which all parties nominally agreed to.

Well to be fair, they would've had that capability if Russia and the U.S. were on board. I'm not surprised to see the Syrian people throwing rocks at U.N. vehicles because it has to be frustrating, but I'm not really seeing the outcry against Putin I would expect from the international community, though I might just be missing it. If the roles were reversed, I could absolutely see the U.S. supporting Assad's regime if it benefited them and there was little public repercussion (Mubarak), so it's not about dem Russians, but it's pretty clear that Russia is the biggest wall between Syria and its independence. All that Kofi Annan hate needs to get redirected that way.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 8, 2012

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

The international community won't direct its hate at Russia too much because it doesn't really want to have to intervene.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Well to be fair, they would've had that capability if Russia and the U.S. were on board. I'm not surprised to see the Syrian people throwing rocks at U.N. vehicles because it has to be frustrating, but I'm not really seeing the outcry against Putin I would expect from the international community, though I might just be missing it.

Hillary Clinton has recently made diplomatically strong statements blaming Russia (and China) for the current situation. Everyone knows what Russia is doing and they are outraged. The reason there hasn't been a strong constant stream of invective towards Russia is because destroying cooperation amongst the P5, however limited, isn't a fruitful option.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 8, 2012

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So how 'liberal', economically speaking, is this Mahmoud Jibril? Like Blair, or Clinton?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Syrian army would be a door mat at this stage, not only is fighting morale so low that even Republican Guard generals are fleeing from the country but there's also no real secure area for the army to operate from.

Despite of all this, an invasion would require a large buildup of forces, which is expensive. In 2003 US and UK sent 200k soldiers to Iraq and even that wasn't a force large enough to pacify the nation or even secure all ammo dumps before they were looted by sectarian fighters and Ba'ath loyalists.

Then there's the need to make sure that Syria doesn't try anything stupid out of desperation like vengeance strikes on Turkish or Israeli border towns. It's easier to support action against a country that can't physically get back at you.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wouldn't a foreign force entering Syria be a great propaganda tool?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

In the current situation it wouldn't have an effect on anybody's allegiances - at most it would be a catalyst so those who believe fiercely in the government would do more so, those who have no faith in the survival of the government would resign further away from it and those who want to see the government collapse would be even more enthusiastic about it.

The bottom line is that propaganda doesn't stop tank battalions or even children that put hallucinogenics in their milk.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The best/worst thing about the Libyan elections is seeing all the bitter anti-interventionists trying their best to belittle the election, especially as their predicted winners, the Muslim Brotherhood, aren't doing very well. If they don't see al-Qaeda forcing sharia law onto everyone in Libya it'll shatter their worldview, so they need to find a new way to criticise the Libyan intervention. Lot's of "well elections and democracy don't mean much anyway."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Early indications are that the Jibril led liberal alliance, the National Forces Alliance is out performing the Islamist Justice and Construction party in most heavily populated areas. They've avoided the errors of the Egyptian and Tunisian liberals by forming a coalition party early on to ensure the vote wouldn't get split, and it seems to be working well.

• Locked thread