Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

Alchemy also allows you to skip several bossfights, you can getthe dragon down to 0% before the boss is finished with it's opening animation in the tower, causing you to automatically win the rooftop fight the moment you enter the area.

Wait, really? That's crazy... I didn't do full alchemy on either playthrough (did normal for Roche's path and dark for Iorveth's path), I generally just put points into what fit how I wanted to play, which meant spreading them out. Now I kinda want to playthrough again just to go crazy with alchemy.

On the subject of GOG/Steam, one thing that really annoys me is that the ONLY way you can get the Mac copy of the first game is via Steam. I bought both through GOG because that seemed like the best way to support the developers (which may or may not be true), so I really wish they would either give you the Mac download on GOG, or provide a Steam key if you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Alchemy always wind in every game.

Makes you wanna think twice about making fun of Kalkstein in the first game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well, poo poo. Alchemy it is.

I didn't take the bomb damage trait until really late in my last playthrough (because I was rushing for Impregnation) so I never really came to understand the true power of bombs. Should be fun knocking Saesenthessis out before I even get to the top of the tower.

Not to mention Catalysis, which has got to be the most powerful two-point investment I can think of.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If you still want to fully upgrade Yrden, you need to spend 8 points in the Mage tree. So that leaves you with 20 points for Alchemy.

I need to try an Alchemy spec one of these days just so I can finally use a potion that isn't Swallow, Tawny Owl, Rook or Petri's Philtre.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 8, 2012

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

GoldenNugget posted:

I kind of wished I preordered the steam version for the achievements, especially considering steam users got a complimentary GOG backup.

Everyone got a complementary GOG backup. http://www.gog.com/en/witcher2/backup/

And... according to that page, it's available for The Witcher as well! I'll update the OP to reflect that shortly.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Coughing Hobo posted:

Everyone got a complementary GOG backup. http://www.gog.com/en/witcher2/backup/

And... according to that page, it's available for The Witcher as well! I'll update the OP to reflect that shortly.

Yeah but no complimentary Steam version. :smith:

I want Steam Achievements.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fuzz posted:

Yeah but no complimentary Steam version. :smith:

I want Steam Achievements.

Well you can't have them :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lycus posted:

I need to try an Alchemy spec one of these days just so I can finally use a potion that isn't Swallow, Tawny Owl, Rook or Petri's Philtre.

That's really the best thing about Alchemy, even in my Normal run. Potions like Lapwing, White Raffard's Decoction (something like +85% vitality for only -6% damage with 2/2 Catalysis), Gadwall (the potion Swallow wishes it could be), and Thunderbolt make most of the Swordsmanship talents look downright laughable. Honestly, I can't see myself ever doing a build that doesn't include two points in Catalysis ever again; those potions are just too good to pass up. Add that to the all of the +damage and damage resistance while you have raised toxicity and you'll start to wonder why anyone would bother with Swordsmanship at all.

Well, beyond Footwork, Position, and maybe Riposte, anyway.

Alchemy only really shines when you know what's coming, though. If you don't have time to drink your potions you're at significantly decreased effectiveness; this is especially true in boss fights like Chapter 2's Draug. Your bombs and some early Swordsmanship traits can help you out quite a bit, of course, and if you're a good player you can probably beat anything just by dodging around and attacking carefully.

For myself, I'm starting to think about this sort of build:
  • 2/2 Footwork first
  • Rush to 2/2 Catalysis
  • 1/2 Position just for safety's sake
  • Go down Magic to get upgraded Yrden, Glyph Enhancement, and Heliotrope
  • The rest goes in Alchemy.

Either that or, if I feel like playing it closer to my comfort zone:
  • 2/2 Footwork
  • Rush to Catalysis + bomb damage (if I'm not going with heavily upgraded signs then high-damage Grapeshots and Dancing Stars will be hugely helpful)
  • Go down Swordsmanship for Group Finisher and increased adrenaline gain
  • Enhanced Quen
  • Everything else in Alchemy.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 8, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Group Finisher. However, have you gotten Heliotrope before? I like it, but I kinda feel like it's not worth it if you're not going to use Igni to charge it super-fast.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, y'know, I'm not that enthusiastic about group finisher either. The more I think about it the more I think that the Swordsmanship line's best talents--period--are the earliest ones in the tree. Footwork, Riposte, and Position are all great, and the rest are just... well, not that impressive. Okay, Tough Guy and Invincible are kind of nice, too; I'm not going to turn my nose up at damage reduction and major vitality boosts. But really, all of the numerical boosters are hugely outdone by what you can accomplish with Alchemy.

What I'm concerned about is that I don't think spamming Igni as my primary attack sounds all that fun. That said, I'm more than willing to use it frequently as I dodge around slashing--that sort of "magic knight" playstyle sounds great. If I go heavy mage/alchemy, should I expect to go pure Igni spam, or is it more of an even split between signs and swording?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Draug is an incredible pushover if you know his weakness.

His shield only covers his front, from behind you can directly attack his much smaller and weaker hp pool.

Sometimes, his first move will be to bullrush you the moment you are done loading. Roll backwards diagonally and you should be in a position to backstab him several times. On my Dark run, Virgin was able to kill him in 8 hits before he recovered

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regarding Alchemy and bombs:

Do the "bonus damage while poisoned" talents affect bombs and signs, or are they only for swords? How about the traits that give you a higher chance of inflicting critical effects? That sort of thing will determine how useful bombs like Dancing Star, Grapeshot, Zerrikanian Sun, and Red Haze will be in the late game. While 2 points in Alchemist for +100% bomb damage will probably make Grapeshot one-shot most things in Chapter 1, eventually it won't be that great, right?

(Luckily the first few points of my various planned builds are all the same--Footwork, Riposte, get Catalysis--so I can keep playing while I'm indecisive.)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Agent Noun posted:

What I'm concerned about is that I don't think spamming Igni as my primary attack sounds all that fun. That said, I'm more than willing to use it frequently as I dodge around slashing--that sort of "magic knight" playstyle sounds great. If I go heavy mage/alchemy, should I expect to go pure Igni spam, or is it more of an even split between signs and swording?
That's how do it. The tree's called "Mage", but you don't actually play it like you'd play a wizard in other games. You're a swordsman who uses signs a lot, that's it.

But the thing about Igni is that it charges Heliotrope really fast. If you're not upgrading and using Igni regularly, you probably won't be using Heliotrope very often.

Asehujiko posted:

Draug is an incredible pushover if you know his weakness.

His shield only covers his front, from behind you can directly attack his much smaller and weaker hp pool.

Sometimes, his first move will be to bullrush you the moment you are done loading. Roll backwards diagonally and you should be in a position to backstab him several times. On my Dark run, Virgin was able to kill him in 8 hits before he recovered

I'm usually able to grab him with an Yrden too, then he's screwed.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 9, 2012

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lycus posted:

That's how do it. The tree's called "Mage", but you don't actually play it like you'd play a wizard in other games. You're a swordsman who uses signs a lot, that's it.

But the thing about Igni is that it charges Heliotrope really fast. If you're not upgrading and using Igni regularly, you probably won't be using Heliotrope very often.

I'm usually able to grab him with an Yrden too, then he's screwed.

Doesn't the Vigor expenditure seriously dampen your sword damage?

...and is there a mod that makes the Armor of Ysgith look less like a coral reef?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, but you should have a lot more vigor. In addition to the point in the basic skills, there's three more points in the Mage tree. And of course, you should drink potions that you give you more vigor regeneration.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 9, 2012

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Asehujiko posted:

Alchemy also allows you to skip several bossfights, you can getthe dragon down to 0% before the boss is finished with it's opening animation in the tower, causing you to automatically win the rooftop fight the moment you enter the area.

Typical, I did Swordsman on my first playthrough, then shifted to Signs when I went back to do Roche's path. I didn't do Alchemy at all other than to get the Alchemy achievement via loading an old "From A Bygone Era" save to "cheat" it. Both those other skill trees made the Dragon Fight doable but frustratingly long. I liked the Group Finisher that Swordsman gave you, Heliotrope was neat in concept but building up adrenaline for it was a bit of a pain in the rear end.

Still, there are still a couple of choice variations I haven't tried out yet, such as the Spellbreaker questline, so maybe in a little while I'll do another runthrough of the game using Alchemy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, one issue with the Mage tree is that doesn't really provide you with anything against the dragon, but I don't think that's a huge deal since it's a pretty easy fight anyway. But about Heliotrope, like I said earlier, Igni actually charges it really fast. None of the other signs seem to move the bar much, but it shoots up when you start throwing Igni. It's probably the only reason to use Igni at all, since otherwise it's better to just use bombs.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 9, 2012

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It seems like that could work really well with another adrenaline skill, too. If you go deep into Magic and Alchemy, use Igni to rocket your adrenaline bar to the max, and then trigger it, you'll get Heliotrope and berserking at the same time. Sure, you could go for Group Finisher instead, but why not slow down a huge group of enemies while simultaneously doubling all your damage?

At least in my head, it's real pretty.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Agent Noun posted:

It seems like that could work really well with another adrenaline skill, too. If you go deep into Magic and Alchemy, use Igni to rocket your adrenaline bar to the max, and then trigger it, you'll get Heliotrope and berserking at the same time. Sure, you could go for Group Finisher instead, but why not slow down a huge group of enemies while simultaneously doubling all your damage?

At least in my head, it's real pretty.
That'll give you a lot of mutagen slots for Impregnation too.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lycus posted:

But about Heliotrope, like I said earlier, Igni actually charges it really fast. None of the other signs seem to move the bar much, but it shoots up when you start throwing Igni. It's probably the only reason to use Igni at all, since otherwise it's better to just use bombs.

Before it was nerfed Quen charged adrenalin ridicuasly fast. But yeah now if you want to use heliotrope igni is your only hope.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Agent Noun posted:

Regarding Alchemy and bombs:

Do the "bonus damage while poisoned" talents affect bombs and signs, or are they only for swords? How about the traits that give you a higher chance of inflicting critical effects? That sort of thing will determine how useful bombs like Dancing Star, Grapeshot, Zerrikanian Sun, and Red Haze will be in the late game. While 2 points in Alchemist for +100% bomb damage will probably make Grapeshot one-shot most things in Chapter 1, eventually it won't be that great, right?

(Luckily the first few points of my various planned builds are all the same--Footwork, Riposte, get Catalysis--so I can keep playing while I'm indecisive.)
What the firebomb(can't remember the exact name) does is create a fire on the ground, which sets people on fire if they walk into it. When people are on fire and you are far away, they are stunned while they try to put themselves out. If you get close, they attack you anyway, the "50% incineration" comes from that the fire is slightly smaller than the blast range.

And yes, it will two shot human enemies in the epilogue just as good as it does in Flotsam.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The first quest I did in Flotsam was Troll Trouble, and unfortunately during that quest Thaler's messenger gets killed. To add to the fun, I forgot to loot his corpse after I killed Dmitri, meaning I missed the formula for the dragon's dream bomb. Any chance there's another way to get it in the game, or is it time to load a save from about four gameplay hours ago?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Cedric doesn't sell it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh, hey, he does. The wiki made it sound like the messenger was the only way to get the formula, but 111 orens to Cedric and all's well. Thanks.

Batmans dad
Jun 27, 2008
So, I just finished this game and holy poo poo. I want to play through it again and do Iorveth's path. But in retrospect I can't bring myself to betray Roche. He's such a loveable rear end in a top hat. The part in the epilogue where he's defending Anais against those Kedwenis kind of broke my heart. Dude's really loyal to his dead king.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Batmans dad posted:

So, I just finished this game and holy poo poo. I want to play through it again and do Iorveth's path. But in retrospect I can't bring myself to betray Roche. He's such a loveable rear end in a top hat. The part in the epilogue where he's defending Anais against those Kedwenis kind of broke my heart. Dude's really loyal to his dead king.
If you want it, I'll give you a slight spoiler without any details: Even on Iorveth's Path, Roche is still your bro. Now play it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I do have to say though that after trying it both ways, I thought that Iorveth's path was more fun to play but in a horrible location that was annoying as hell to travel around in, while Roche's path was fairly uninspiring until poo poo hit the fan and then it just becomes a huge improvement over Iorveth's side, and Roche is just an awesome character.

I chose to have Roche let Anais go into Radovid's "protection" but with him as her personal bodyguard which I felt was the best possible option of those available. I assume if you choose not to take that path, that Roche will try and protect Anais all by himself until she's old enough to claim the throne herself? I deleted the local game content to free up some space on my Steam drive (with a backup on another drive so I don't have to download it all again) and I'm already kind of thinking about another run-through of the whole game, though I have so much other stuff I should be playing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SpRahl posted:

Before it was nerfed Quen charged adrenalin ridicuasly fast. But yeah now if you want to use heliotrope igni is your only hope.
My first playthrough I went sword-spec and just enough points in signs to rush to Heliotrope. They use the same adrenaline bar, so I could keep up Heliotropes constantly just by attacking dudes. I assume if your have berserk and heliotrope its the same way, so you'd just passively be gaining adrenaline because you're poisoned.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I chose to have Roche let Anais go into Radovid's "protection" but with him as her personal bodyguard which I felt was the best possible option of those available. I assume if you choose not to take that path, that Roche will try and protect Anais all by himself until she's old enough to claim the throne herself?

If you rescue Triss that's more or less what happens although there is also the option of giving Anais to Natalis and letting her become a kick rear end queen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SpRahl posted:

If you rescue Triss that's more or less what happens although there is also the option of giving Anais to Natalis and letting her become a kick rear end queen.

poo poo, I didn't even consider that (or find out it was an option) and I kind of wish I'd done that now.

I suppose there is no possible way for Saskia to rule the Pontar Valley and Anais to rule Temeria is there, both require taking different paths and cut off Geralt from having any influence over the other, right?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Picked this up for 360 on account of all the praise.

FUUUUUUUUCK THIS GAME.

I have never been so frustrated by a videogame. I didn't think an RPG could have worse combat than Alpha Protocol/Skyrim but here we are. And the great thing is it's terrible in it's own way.

Fighting is completely unfun, I die on almost every group of enemy at least once. If it's not the camera that fucks me, it's the stupid blocking mechanism / terrible animation poo poo that leaves me character not doing a goddamn thing while I mash buttons. I wish I could say I was being bested by the challenge of the game, instead I'm being frustrated by a broken combat system.

Like really really broken, and the OP should have be the first warning. The game is honestly not fun to play, but hey in between the frustration you get some RPG story poo poo so HOOOOORAY!

In short gently caress this game. This loving game could be written by Shakespeare and you still wouldn't out weigh the terrible core gameplay.

e- AHDDFADFAHDFaSDLFKASDF fucklingh gently caress gently caress gently caress once again same loving PUDGY TOWN bandits, FUUUUUUUCJKM YOU VIDEOGAME FOR MAKING ME THIS ANGRY

Morphix fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 12, 2012

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Morphix posted:

FUUUUUUUUCK THIS GAME.

I have never been so frustrated by a videogame. I didn't think an RPG could have worse combat than Alpha Protocol/Skyrim but here we are. And the great thing is it's terrible in it's own way.

Fighting is completely unfun, I die on almost every group of enemy at least once. If it's not the camera that fucks me, it's the stupid blocking mechanism / terrible animation poo poo that leaves me character not doing a goddamn thing while I mash buttons. I wish I could say I was being bested by the challenge of the game, instead I'm being frustrated by a broken combat system.

Like really really broken, and the OP should have be the first warning. The game is honestly not fun to play, but hey in between the frustration you get some RPG story poo poo so HOOOOORAY!

In short gently caress this game. This loving game could be written by Shakespeare and you still wouldn't out weigh the terrible core gameplay.

e- AHDDFADFAHDFaSDLFKASDF fucklingh gently caress gently caress gently caress once again same loving PUDGY TOWN bandits, FUUUUUUUCJKM YOU VIDEOGAME FOR MAKING ME THIS ANGRY

This was me entirely when I first bought the game but stick with it. At some point it will "click" and you'll learn to love the combat. I had the same problem with Max Payne 3 but then I got to the final level and then it all came together.

Only advice I can give you is experiment and learn to roll often and never, ever fight fair. Throw bombs, always try to use magic when possible and fight dirty. If you have to litter a battlefield with snares go right ahead and do just that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Morphix posted:

FUUUUUUUUCK THIS GAME.

This isn't a button mashing fighting game, you have to take things carefully and use all the bombs/potions/traps tools available to you.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Morphix posted:

FUUUUUUUUCK THIS GAME.

Can't say I ever had trouble with the combat, and thought it was pretty good. Don't just "mash buttons" for one thing. Try to stay back a bit to gage your enemy, and then move in for the kill.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Morphix posted:

FUUUUUUUUCK THIS GAME.

The combat isn't broken by any means. I prefer it to games of a similar style any day of the week. You just need to learn that not every game is about smushing buttons and winning instantly, even though the recent trend in video gaming seems to live by that philosophy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Did you do the tutorial? It rather painstakingly takes you through combat step by step, explains what to do and when to do it, pits you against a variety of combatants (ranged, melee, singular, multiple, shielded etc) and even gives you a test run of combat at the end of everything and then suggests a difficulty level for the main game based on how you do.

I found the combat pretty entertaining in the game, though it's not the greatest combat system I've ever used (that would be the Batman: Arkham games), but you can't just leap in and try to bash your way to victory against a large group of armored dudes with swords, pikes, shields and crossbows.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

This was me entirely when I first bought the game but stick with it. At some point it will "click" and you'll learn to love the combat. I had the same problem with Max Payne 3 but then I got to the final level and then it all came together.

Only advice I can give you is experiment and learn to roll often and never, ever fight fair. Throw bombs, always try to use magic when possible and fight dirty. If you have to litter a battlefield with snares go right ahead and do just that.

This is unbelievably true.

Rule 1 of being a witcher: never fight fair. Thing is, this game isn't interested in letting you make mistakes--even on normal--so don't ever hold back. Make and use bombs (the first time I used Grapeshot on my first runthrough was an eye-opener). Use traps when you know you're going to be fighting (especially if you do the Endrega Contract sidequest in chapter 1). Use your signs, even if you don't specialize in them; the best ones, like Aard, Quen, and sometimes Yrden, don't need any point investment to be worthwhile.

And roll like a madman. Unless you have the Riposte talent from the Swordsmanship tree, parrying/blocking is kind of a last resort. It hurts you anyway, and unless you take a talent from the Training tree that lets you block from all angles (and you should), it's just not worth doing. Now, setting up an enemy for a killer riposte, that might be worth a Vigor point and a little bit of health, but otherwise you're better off dodging or casting Aard.

I hated this game's combat at first, but you're right, it just clicks eventually and you get into the rhythm of it.

Edit: Because this is on my mind and I've just played through this part on Hard for the first time: don't give up on the game at the kayran fight (didn't spoiler it because it's a nonsense word to anyone who doesn't know what it is, and if you do, you already know you're going to fight it). I honestly think it's the hardest fight in the game (yes, even harder than the chapter 1 boss), primarily because it's unforgiving. While its attacks are easy to dodge, getting hit by one usually means getting hit by both, and on Hard and above that probably means you're dead. It's a fight that pretty much tells you how to win but then demands picture-perfect execution, and there honestly isn't another fight like it in the whole game. I got pretty frustrated with it earlier today because I kept rolling at just the wrong time and getting juggled to death.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 12, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Beginners should probably lay off the blocking. That's more for advanced play (and particularly if you're speccing into parrying and riposte). The primary way to avoid attacks is rolling. Roll, roll, roll.

Jerusalem posted:

poo poo, I didn't even consider that (or find out it was an option) and I kind of wish I'd done that now.
That's what I did on Roche's Path. During the conversation you have with Roche about what to do while you're on your way to the Kaedweni camp, there's a part where Geralt seems to subtly push the theory that Radovid, rather than the Kaedwenis, may have had Boussy killed. I kept this in mind, and decided it was best not to give him Anais. Even if he's not guilty, Radovid is a real rear end anyway, while Natalis seems like a stand-up guy. And I love how it plays out at the summit.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 12, 2012

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A question I've been meaning to ask related to Ves on Roche's path, near the end of it. After Geralt and Roche discover that Henselt had all the Blue Stripes killed and raped Ves, Roche sends her off to make the boat ready for them. Afterwards, Geralt says,"She's lying," and tells Roche that something about her story doesn't ring true. Is there any resolution to this? I don't recall anything coming up regarding it again, outside of making the proper and correct decision to let Roche murder Henselt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lycus posted:

Beginners should probably lay off the blocking. That's more for advanced play (and particularly if you're speccing into parrying and riposte). The primary way to avoid attacks is rolling. Roll, roll, roll.
That's the biggest thing that's letting me play Hard now: I finally learned to stop blocking. I'm going to take Riposte just to make the parts where you play as other, non-Geralt chucklefucks easier, but other than that it's roll, baby, roll. I'm almost done with chapter 1 and I think I've been hit by a nekker maybe once.

Jerusalem posted:

A question I've been meaning to ask related to Ves on Roche's path, near the end of it. After Geralt and Roche discover that Henselt had all the Blue Stripes killed and raped Ves, Roche sends her off to make the boat ready for them. Afterwards, Geralt says,"She's lying," and tells Roche that something about her story doesn't ring true. Is there any resolution to this? I don't recall anything coming up regarding it again, outside of making the proper and correct decision to let Roche murder Henselt.
Well, Henselt confirms that he raped Ves. But what Geralt says right after Roche protests that Ves wouldn't lie is that he doesn't believe that Dethmold would just let her go. I think Geralt is suggesting that Dethmold might have raped her, too, or otherwise tortured her.

• Locked thread