Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Corrode posted:

The major issue is that it looks loving poo poo.

No. I think what you've done here, right Corrode, is you've confused texture paints with your face, haven't you ? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I am going to say this in the least smug way that I can muster as I don't want to sound like a massive dick, but If you think that texture paints look like poo poo, then clearly you're not doing it right. :smug:

You can't just whack on one layer with a brush and call it done, you gotta do a second layer, lump that poo poo on, tease it around. Make it a texture, rather than just a flat sanded surface.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Even if you do it in one layer (which I do with 2nd+ rank Fantasy troops), if you get the drybrushing right the texture of the base itself can look surprisingly good in the context of the finer grains.

I like the texture paints enough that I'm half tempted to re-base a few thousand points of Chaos Marines.

Glow Sticks
Feb 26, 2009
Hey if you guys are interested I'm trying to offload a bunch of older Imperial Guard stuff (Colonel Commissar Gaunt+his Ghosts, Last Chancers, Metal Cadian Weapon teams, etc.),plus one of the GW foam carrying cases.

Is it cool to link to ebay in here?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, man, hit it.

Glow Sticks
Feb 26, 2009
Awesome. Here you go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180922506250?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_500wt_1202

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

Dominion posted:

Yeah, I either use a toothpick or a cheap brush to spread the lava. If you don't have hooks for hands you should be fine.

drat it

So in my massive pile of marines I realize that I have I think 1 lascannon marine. Does anyone know where I can get 3-5 of those for cheap? A quick ebay search revealed nothing. I think I have infinite rocket launcher marines though.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Smegmalicious posted:

drat it

So in my massive pile of marines I realize that I have I think 1 lascannon marine. Does anyone know where I can get 3-5 of those for cheap? A quick ebay search revealed nothing. I think I have infinite rocket launcher marines though.

Infantry lascannons come 1 to a box of Devastators and like nowhere else, I think. You could probably get some IG heavy weapon team lascannons and do some conversion with a missile launcher marine to make a shoulder-mounted one.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

Dominion posted:

Infantry lascannons come 1 to a box of Devastators and like nowhere else, I think. You could probably get some IG heavy weapon team lascannons and do some conversion with a missile launcher marine to make a shoulder-mounted one.

gently caress. I was hoping to buy or trade for some. Balls.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Dominion posted:

They're two to a box in devastators. :toot:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Smegmalicious posted:

gently caress. I was hoping to buy or trade for some. Balls.

You should still probably be able to get some. The lascannon option hasn't been popular for years, so there's bound to be some floating around in bits boxes.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Devlan Mud posted:

They're two to a box in devastators. :toot:

My fault, I thought it was two plasma cannons, 1 ML, 1 Lascannon, and 1...heavybolter?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

PeterWeller posted:

You should still probably be able to get some. The lascannon option hasn't been popular for years, so there's bound to be some floating around in bits boxes.

Either that or if you need more marines anyways, just get devastator boxes. You'll probably only need three at most, get a butt-ton of heavy weapon options to save for later, and the command sprue legs are a nice variety of different poses you usually won't have.

Either that or find Space Wolf players to trade your missile launcher bits for their lascannon bits.

Dominion posted:

My fault, I thought it was two plasma cannons, 1 ML, 1 Lascannon, and 1...heavybolter?

It's two of each Heavy Bolters, Plasmacannons and Lascannons, and one of each Missile Launcher and Multimelta. Plus a bunch of cool servo-skulls, a pointing powerfist, a ton of odd ammo crates and command sprue legs, the best legs.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh poo poo I think I broke something guys.

Some of you know how I've been looking for IG Plasma Gun arms, and was about to give up and use marine arms or 'nade arms.

Turns out, one of the Forge World Hostile Environment Suit upgrades come with three, and it's cheaper even with shipping than the Cadian Command Squad box, which only comes with one.

Forge World is actually the cheaper option here. I'm scared.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Babe Magnet posted:

Some of you know how I've been looking for IG Plasma Gun arms, and was about to give up and use marine arms or 'nade arms.

Turns out, one of the Forge World Hostile Environment Suit upgrades come with three, and it's cheaper even with shipping than the Cadian Command Squad box, which only comes with one.

Good discovery. Rocking three such squads already myself.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

Forge world really isn't much more expensive than GW anymore. It's a mixed blessing.

Maybe they make lascannon dudes...

Edit: When the gently caress are tartaros assault terminators coming out. I want like 20 of those. (I have a problem)

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm really liking the iPad version of the necron codex. Especially since it has incorporated the rules for 6th and the FAQ... Hyper phase swords are listed as Ap3 strength as user as opposed to "power weapon"... Tis a shame I can't have a hyper phase axe though....

I feel like war scythes are the ultimate close combat weapon... Strength+2 armourbane AP1...

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
A Wolf Guard Terminator is 33 points naked, but you can give him a power axe for his weapon so he hits at S5 AP2, Unwieldy. Do you think this might be better than paying 10 points for the power fist, like I usually do? I don't mean for every guy, but like, I could keep my CML guys cheaper and they would still hit ok. What do you think?

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 9, 2012

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Phyresis posted:

A Wolf Guard Terminator is 33 points naked, but you can give him a power axe for his weapon so he hits at S5 AP2, Unwieldy. Do you think this might be better than paying 10 points for the power fist, like I usually do? I don't mean for every guy, but like, I could keep my CML guys cheaper and they would still hit ok. What do you think?

Definitely don't waste the points on making CML dudes good in combat. Power weapon is good enough, accept the points savings.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Chenghiz posted:

Definitely don't waste the points on making CML dudes good in combat. Power weapon is good enough, accept the points savings.

Right, power axe is free. It's just a power weapon, so I'm wondering if I should leave them all as sword, or seed some axes in there.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Ok, my Tyranids army is going up against my friend's Necron army next weekend, and I know he just bought a Doom Scythe (flyer). Is there a better/cheaper option for killing flyers than to take a Flyrant with Twin-Linked Devourers with Brainleech worms? Vector Strike will get me D3+1 Strength 6 hits, and another shot with my gun should get 1-2 more. Still pretty lousy odds of killing him, but I can't see any other choice since blasts can't hit them Hive Guards can't get twin-linked.

Also, is their any downside for the Doom Scythe to Evade every turn? His main weapon hits everything in a line automatically, so he's really only losing 1 or 2 Tesla shots.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Phyresis posted:

Right, power axe is free. It's just a power weapon, so I'm wondering if I should leave them all as sword, or seed some axes in there.

I'm treating all my Space Wolf power weapons as whatever they're modeled as. Even though axes are mechanically crappy, they're also Viking as gently caress :black101:

I'm more curious about what weapons are better for Wolf Guard pack leaders now that they'll be facing challenges. I want to try out a pair of wolf claws to shred opposing powerfist dudes before they can hit.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

plester1 posted:

I'm more curious about what weapons are better for Wolf Guard pack leaders now that they will be facing challenges. I want to try out a pair of wolf claws to shred opposing powerfist dudes.

I wouldn't say axes are mechanically crappy at all, that's why I'm debating adding some. You shouldn't ever use a pair of wolf claws anymore, you get the extra attack if you go 1 claw 1 fist and it will be much better for punching through terminator/artificer armor and vehicles.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Phyresis posted:

variety is good, especially if you are building a take all comers list. Each power weapon has distinct advantages.

Axes are great against terminators and meganobs. Swords are perfect against bog standard marines... I'd even consider a Power Maul... they are fantastic against Orks and Necrons and better than swords against terminators.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Babe Magnet posted:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440339a&prodId=prod1400024

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Discospawn posted:

Also, is their any downside for the Doom Scythe to Evade every turn? His main weapon hits everything in a line automatically, so he's really only losing 1 or 2 Tesla shots.

It can't shoot the main gun. P.13: "It's important to note that any shooting attack that does not use a Ballistic Skill--such as the Necron Monolith's portal of exile--cannot be 'fired' as a snap shot."

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Discospawn posted:

No there isn't really a downside aside from the fact that he's paid 175pts for the model and it could blow up in a single lucky shot. Jinking does disallow the main gun. We're not talking Land Raider point value, but it is costed pretty well. When it comes to Tyranid Flying Hive Tyrants are about the best option the army has for anti-air. So long as you're not fielding Warriors though the S10 line isn't exactly the most terrifying thing the Necron can put out--it's either going to put the same wound on your Tyrants/Tervigons/etc that a lascannon or missile launcher would or it's going to utterly vaporize some gaunts. That's the strength of the Tyranid against arms like that. Just be sure to space out your models in a staggered fashion and it'll be like you lost some models to small arms fire. A shot or two from Hive Guard will down it and statistics says that should only be a turn or two.

Edit: And what he said.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

It can't shoot the main gun. P.13: "It's important to note that any shooting attack that does not use a Ballistic Skill--such as the Necron Monolith's portal of exile--cannot be 'fired' as a snap shot."

This is awesome, thanks!

And yeah, the weapon isn't that scary compared to 2 Annhilation Barges he could be bringing instead, but but it's just rough when there's no 'hard counter' to a unit.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

So forge world uses Finecast now? That loving sucks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I played a 1500 point game yesterday against a relatively new player who brought two Doom Scythes. I had a battlewagon army loaded with slugga boyz and a pack of mega armored nobz backed up by 3 squads of 5 lootas. The Doom Scythes were VERY nasty (almost annihilated my warboss and his nob squad), but they crumpled to loota fire pretty easily.

My buddy came up with a pretty devastating Tyranid list that focuses on using a poo poo ton of psykers. You take 4 Tervigons, 6 Zoanthropes, the Doom of Malan'tai, Parasite of Mortrex, 3 squads of 15 Termagants, and a 30 strong squad of double-upgraded Gargoyles. You give each Tervigon crushing claws, adrenal glands, toxin sacts, and a second psyker power. Then you swap out all of the psyker powers for the ones you can get from the BRB. I want to say it's something like twelve psykers who can get biomancy or telekinesis and basically spam enfeeble.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

PierreTheMime posted:

No there isn't really a downside aside from the fact that he's paid 175pts for the model and it could blow up in a single lucky shot. Jinking does disallow the main gun. We're not talking Land Raider point value, but it is costed pretty well. When it comes to Tyranid Flying Hive Tyrants are about the best option the army has for anti-air. So long as you're not fielding Warriors though the S10 line isn't exactly the most terrifying thing the Necron can put out--it's either going to put the same wound on your Tyrants/Tervigons/etc that a lascannon or missile launcher would or it's going to utterly vaporize some gaunts. That's the strength of the Tyranid against arms like that. Just be sure to space out your models in a staggered fashion and it'll be like you lost some models to small arms fire. A shot or two from Hive Guard will down it and statistics says that should only be a turn or two.

Edit: And what he said.

Also, he can only turn at the beginning of his movement phase and then has to move at least 18" in a straight line. It's very easy to predict a flyers potential position and facing. You can compensate for that in your movement phase and try to make sure that too many units aren't in its firing zone.

Easy tip: get within 18" of it. It will have to fly over you and will be facing the wrong way.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah there's no way in hell I'm getting those things in my IG arms without slicing them/myself to pieces. besides, they don't come with any of the accompanying arms that have the handle, which isn't a problem specifically, but it's gonna' be a pain making the other, empty arms look good.

Thanks anyway!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah there's no way in hell I'm getting those things in my IG arms without slicing them/myself to pieces. besides, they don't come with any of the accompanying arms that have the handle, which isn't a problem specifically, but it's gonna' be a pain making the other, empty arms look good.

Thanks anyway!

Honestly, that Forgeworld set is a good bet: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Cadian_Shock_Troops/CADIAN-HOSTILE-ENVIRONMENT-TROOPS-PLASMA-SQUAD.html

And while you're at it, you might as well get that other Forgeworld model you wanted! You know, if you buy enough stuff you get free shipping, so you might as well get a Thunderbolt while you're at it. You know what? Titans are pretty cool too, you might as well get one of those! And you might play Tau eventually, might as well get a Manta! :v:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there a way to get the Imperial Armour books in the US, or do I have to order them directly from Forgeworld? I want that new aircraft book that's coming out later this month.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is there a way to get the Imperial Armour books in the US, or do I have to order them directly from Forgeworld? I want that new aircraft book that's coming out later this month.

Not sure if it's the same in the US but GW stores in Australia have the IA books.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I got my copy of IA11 at my local GW store.

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important

SRM posted:

Some specialized Marine lists like biker Marines tend to be far less forgiving, but the general Marine army of tactical squads in Rhinos supported by tanks and/or elite infantry is pretty forgiving.

For what it's worth, I ran my biker marine list in my first test game for 6th edition and it's a lot more forgiving now that they're all T5.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

SRM posted:

Honestly, that Forgeworld set is a good bet: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Cadian_Shock_Troops/CADIAN-HOSTILE-ENVIRONMENT-TROOPS-PLASMA-SQUAD.html

And while you're at it, you might as well get that other Forgeworld model you wanted! You know, if you buy enough stuff you get free shipping, so you might as well get a Thunderbolt while you're at it. You know what? Titans are pretty cool too, you might as well get one of those! And you might play Tau eventually, might as well get a Manta! :v:

I'm just gonna' go buy more than half of the GW stock while I'm at it.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Time to ask a (possibly) stupid question. I recently am inching towards getting out of just enjoying the fluff to actually assembling an army and playing (Tyranids appeal to me even if they aren't the easiest army to play) thanks to the rather wonderful Independent Characters podcast.

Anyways in preparation for inching towards building an army I started to read through the 5th ed rule book and then suddenly found out 6th ed was released thanks to this thread so I started to read through that. Anyways I got to the section on Warlords and was a bit confused as I hadn't remembered seeing anything about that in 5th ed or in the previous iterations of this thread. There was a line about how different Codicies could have different Warlord Tables.

Since I hadn't seen Warlord mentioned in 5th does that mean there is a good chance of new Codicies being released pretty soon in conjunction with 6th ed? And if so should I hold off on building an army until the new set of Codicies are out?

*edit* and also wait for the new starter pack to be released

If this has already been covered in the thread (or Warlords existed in 5th ed and I just missed them) then I apologize and I'll go looking for it. In the meantime I think I'll make a visit to one of my local GW stores (I'm in the DC area) and observe a few games

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Warlords didn't exist in 5th. Basically it's just that you pick one of your HQs to be the big head HQ, and he gets a special power for it, rolled for on one of several charts. New codexes might have their own charts, but right now there's just the three in the main rulebook.

There won't be a massive release of updated codexes. They just mean that any new codexes will be written for 6th, obviously.

• Locked thread