Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Deviant posted:

No, it's the problem of the organizers to modify their setup to fit the game rules. The book dictates the rules, not the TO. Or is what you meant by 'the tournament' actually 'MY tournament'?

Every tournament is 'my tournament' because none of them are the same, and none of them attempt to conform to whatever platonic ideal the BRB sets up as 40k. Saying that the Skyshield is too much of a pain to plan terrain around is no different than saying we're going to do custom missions because the ones in the BRB are poo poo for competitive play. You agree to whatever terms the TO sets up when you sign up for the tournament, so if you want to play in tournaments where the TO doesn't mind landing pads, go to those tournaments instead. It's hardly the end of the world and hardly worth complaining about - if the tournament is poo poo as a result, no one will come back and either way you don't have to worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Not to interrupt the :tizzy: but I thought this was interesting:

quote:

Thanks for the email about Space Wolves. It's great to hear that you are enjoying Warhammer 40'000 6th edition.For the rules questions that you have asked below we would be happy to Answer these.

Do Wolf guard that are in there own pack (not pack leaders) count as characters?
Yes, All of your Wolf guard will get precision strike and look out sir when they are in there unit.

Do lone wolves count as characters?
Yes, The character listing for this is listed on page 411 of the Warhammer 40'000 rule book

Dose Lucas count as a character?
Yes, as he is treated as a squad leader for your blood claws.

Do long fangs have flakk missiles?
No one at this stage has access to these missiles yet as it stats in the Missile launcher entry that all missile launchers have both Frag and Krak missiles but some may also be able to pay extra points for Flakk missiles.

Hope that this helps and if you have any other questions please contact us again"

--

Cheers Mitch

The Games Workshop Hobby Service Team

au.hobbyservice@gwplc.com

https://www.games-workshop.com

Phone

Australia:(02) 9829 6111

New Zealand: 0800 448 514

Fax: (02) 9829 6161

On 5 July 2012 19:59

Presumably Lukas's being a character (separate profile but not a separate unit, etc.) applies to Arjac when he's part of a squad of Wolf Guard. Logan and Wolf Guard Terminators. :stare:

Gonna run Lukas and have him challenge all day 'erry day

Deviant posted:

No, it's the problem of the organizers to modify their setup to fit the game rules. The book dictates the rules, not the TO. Or is what you meant by 'the tournament' actually 'MY tournament'?

No offense, man, but this random bolding of words for emphasis, two times in a row, looks a bit silly.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You refuted a section of the rules by saying that that tournament's homebrew rules overwrote rulebook rules, which is okay for the most part, but you jumped into the middle of a discussion about placing terrain and it's pain-in-the-assitude and it's validity in the BRB and that you shouldn't ban it just because you don't like it.

You said directly made a counter-argument in support of grognarding out rules because they're scary, just by jumping in and defending Tournaments in a place where they weren't really being discussed. It's all about context, dude.

Edit: So it doesn't get lost at the bottom of the last page:

poo poo yeah. There's a ton of people I've found recently that play, so we play Apoc all the loving time.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

S.J. posted:

You agree to whatever terms the TO sets up when you sign up for the tournament, so if you want to play in tournaments where the TO doesn't mind landing pads

I will, because the tournaments that don't allow them are loving amateur hour.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Deviant posted:

Better let Corrode know how much of a bad he is then I guess. I'm not arguing for it one way or the other, I don't give a poo poo, but you are getting way too angry about this.

Babe Magnet posted:

You refuted a section of the rules by saying that that tournament's homebrew rules overwrote rulebook rules, which is okay for the most part, but you jumped into the middle of a discussion about placing terrain and it's pain-in-the-assitude and it's validity in the BRB and that you shouldn't ban it just because you don't like it.

You said directly made a counter-argument in support of grognarding out rules because they're scary, just by jumping in and defending Tournaments in a place where they weren't really being discussed. It's all about context, dude.

The discussion was regarding the placement of terrain in the context of setting up terrain for a tournament.

Corrode posted:

I've house ruled out the Fortress not because of balance concerns but because it's huge and therefore a loving pig to use on tournament tables where you can't work the terrain around it easily.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol

quote:

Loth may either use Smite, Force Dome, Machine Curse, The Avenger,
Quickening, Null Zone and Vortex of Doom (see page 57 of the Space
Marine Codex), or generate six powers from any one of the following
Psychic Disciplines (see the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook, page 418):
Biomancy, Pyromancy or Telekinesis.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

S.J. posted:

Better let Corrode know how much of a bad he is then I guess

Oh, he's perfectly within his right. He just wouldn't be running a 40k tournament. It'd be a "my game that looks kind of like 40k" tournament. If that's a problem, have him fill out a hurt feelings report and drop it on my desk.

On top of that, it shouldn't BE an issue that it's big, because it gets placed before terrain per the terms of the base rulebook. Pre-set terrain might seem like a good idea for a tournament, but it's not by the book, and it works even less now that we can take motherfucking buildings in our lists.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh. I thought it was about that huge Fortress thing, and that tournaments were only brought up because that's the only place one would conceivably give any shits about terrain.

Carry on then.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Deviant posted:

Not really.

Woah.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Six powers? gently caress.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Deviant posted:

Oh, he's perfectly within his right. He just wouldn't be running a 40k tournament. It'd be a "my game that looks kind of like 40k" tournament. If that's a problem, have him fill out a hurt feelings report and drop it on my desk.

Haha, okay man. Have fun with that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

See this is why people say Forgeworld poo poo is overpowered. loving Mephiston and Ahriman get 2 powers but Sevrin Loth gets 6.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
My brother in law is interested in the tau, he likes the aesthetics. So instead of pairing up my Deathwing with a zippy Eldar force I think I will pair them up with a shooty tau force. But I don't know poo poo about tau, except that broadsides and smart missiles are good if you can get a markerlight hit on a flyer.

What should I throw on here? I'm looking for ~600 pts worth of tau for the detachment. Does this look good? Are there any obvious upgrades I am missing or bad ones that I have selected?

HQ
Shas'el Commander - using the forgeworld model
- Hardwired Blacksun Filter
- Plasma Rifle
- Shield Generator
- Drone Controller - 1 Marker Drone, 1 Gun drone
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Tau/TAU-BATTLESUITS-AND-DRONES/TAU-BATTLESUIT-COMMANDER-SHAS-O-RALAI-WITH-DRONES.html

Troops
Fire Warrior Team
- 11 Shas'la
- 1 Shas'ui
-- Hard-Wired Blacksun Filter
-- Markerlight
Devilfish
- Blacksun Filter
- Seeker Missile
- Disruption Pod
- Multi-Tracker

Heavy Support
XV88 Broadside
- 3 Shas'Ui
- Target Lock
- Smart Missile System
- 1 Team Leader w Hard-Wired Blacksun Filter

This will be paired up with:
Belial, Master of the Deathwing
1 librarian
1 CC Venerable Dread
2 Deathwing Squads

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Maybe he's super lovely to make up for it.

I mean, he's probably not, but

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Okay, how many points is this guy? SIX BRB powers and the option to expend one of his three warp charges (as good a psyker as Eldrad) to get a 2+ Invulnerable save at the beginning of his turn that lasts until his next turn?

If he's not 250+pts that's literally the worst example of how overpowered/undercosted FW models are. Good lord.

Well, non-Tyranid FW models.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dominion posted:

See this is why people say Forgeworld poo poo is overpowered. loving Mephiston and Ahriman get 2 powers but Sevrin Loth gets 6.

Ahriman gets three :eng101: (I think?)

PierreTheMime posted:

Okay, how many points is this guy? SIX BRB powers and the option to expend one of his three warp charges (as good a psyker as Eldrad) to get a 2+ Invulnerable save at the beginning of his turn that lasts until his next turn?

If he's not 250+pts that's literally the worst example of how overpowered/undercosted FW models are. Good lord.

Well, non-Tyranid FW models.

He can also come with a unit of Honour Guard. IE, dudes that are also immune to power swords and carry power weapons themselves. :hist101:

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

bhsman posted:

Space Wolves :words:

Good stuff. I'm glad you enjoyed my Grey Knights bits :) I'm sure they are worth slightly more than the Ministorum Dice but I don't mind.

Dominion posted:

Right now, FW is overpowered because of the sheer amount of decent flyers it offers. And those loving psykers, wtf.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Something I just noticed, could it be worth now to take Corbulo instead of a normal Sanguinary Priest? He gets 2+ FNP on himself so he'd be pretty baller at any challenge that does not involve force weapons or S8. Also S5 with a rending chain sword.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

bhsman posted:

He can also come with a unit of Honour Guard. IE, dudes that are also immune to power swords and carry power weapons themselves. :hist101:

I'm running Allies: This Guy

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

FrickenMoron posted:

Something I just noticed, could it be worth now to take Corbulo instead of a normal Sanguinary Priest? He gets 2+ FNP on himself so he'd be pretty baller at any challenge that does not involve force weapons or S8. Also S5 with a rending chain sword.

Yeah I was gonna tell you about that, I'd deffo put Corbs in a Termi unit or whatevs. Everyone needs to go back and look at their Codexes because all kinds of cool poo poo pops out that was pretty "meh" in 5th.

e: Speaking of which, Stelek made a compelling argument for using power mauls for power weapons. I think they are pretty good.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Cool, I was just curious because I cleaned my desk and noticed I have his metal model lying around. Also he is missing his nose so he kinda looks like Jacko.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

FrickenMoron posted:

Cool, I was just curious because I cleaned my desk and noticed I have his metal model lying around. Also he is missing his nose so he kinda looks like Jacko.

Yeah, I bought one way before Codex: Blood Angels came out (don't ask me how much useless poo poo I bought in anticipation of that Codex, btw) and his chainsword fell off in the package. I had to glue it on but it looks wack and I'm sad.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Time to convert my Nurgle-marine Brother Corpulo.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Phyresis posted:

Yeah, I bought one way before Codex: Blood Angels came out (don't ask me how much useless poo poo I bought in anticipation of that Codex, btw) and his chainsword fell off in the package. I had to glue it on but it looks wack and I'm sad.

Mine also has missing sword and a haphazardly glued on power sword. Eh, gotta replace that I guess. I have no idea where I got him actually.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

FrickenMoron posted:

Mine also has missing sword and a haphazardly glued on power sword. Eh, gotta replace that I guess. I have no idea where I got him actually.

I think it's a design flaw in the ancient model. It's a shame, because he's actually aged pretty well, like Mephiston.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Phyresis posted:

I figured that was the case, and that's slightly disappointing because the Skyshield Landing Pad is the best :( I've given up on the ADL and Bastion but I think the Skyshield is worth the points.

The way NOVA terrain works requires 7 pieces of terrain. In the center of the table you have a large LOS blocker, something that at least a rhino can hide behind. You then form an X with four more pieces of terrain. Two of them are ruins and two of them are hills, both around 12"x12". They should be positioned so that the ruins and hills are diagonally opposite from each other. Finally a piece of scatter terrain (forest, rubble, etc) is placed in the center of each player's deployment zone. There should be enough room between pieces for at least a rhino to get through.

Here's a picture:

The Bastion might not be a bad idea since you could position it somewhere and have LOS to the other side of the board. The whole point of the NOVA setup is to break up the landscape and prevent the opponent from being able to gunline your whole army.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Woah yeah, that terrain seems kinda' boring. Effective, but boring.

So it fits tournaments to a tee.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Yeah, I'm familiar with the NOVA setup and I love what you guys are doing, btw. NOVA is the model that all 40k tournaments should strive to follow.

e: You guys could figure something out, like letting the player replace a terrain on his deployment with a fortification or something.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Deviant posted:

The organ kit is drat near impossible to assemble, still has huge gaps, and generally looks like poo poo. They look like crap in person.

Stop loving house ruling things in a game that's been out a week! :mad:

We had the first houserule go official in our store league in about 24 hours. It's an amendment to the Tyranid FAQ, that reads:

"Are Tyranid units inside buildings (ie the Bastion) subject to instinctive behavior tests? Further, are they able to manual fire emplaced weapons?

A: No to both questions. Wait no, yes to the second one. Jesus gently caress who keeps asking these bizarre non-rules-discrepancy related fluff questions about tyranids? Make them stop."

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deviant posted:

On top of that, it shouldn't BE an issue that it's big, because it gets placed before terrain per the terms of the base rulebook. Pre-set terrain might seem like a good idea for a tournament, but it's not by the book, and it works even less now that we can take motherfucking buildings in our lists.

You're a loving idiot, buddy. I can't think of a way to explain to you how much of a pain in the rear end the rulebook version of terrain set-ups would be for running an event because you're clearly too dumb to grasp it. Removing one (1) fortification from your choices because it makes my life more difficult than it needs to be is not 'not playing 40k' and neither is setting up terrain in the same fashion it's always been done instead of allowing players to gently caress around with it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Aegis Defense Line is tearing this family apart.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Deviant posted:

This is totally untrue. It's not their problem at all, because at the end of the day, it is their tournament. If they want to make completely outlandish decisions, that's their call, and if the potential playerbase don't like it, they can put up, petition for it to change, or get the gently caress out and run their own.

I'd obviously prefer a tournament to be as close as possible (i.e 100%) in the game rules, but if someone decides to change something, no matter how major or minor I can only not go. If that means I'm the only player who isn't going, well, either I've gotta live with it, or sucks to be me.

E: And yes, a few times I've looked at tournament changes and thought 'Thank gently caress for that', so clearly I'm just not enough of a 40k purist!

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Well there you go.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Bullshit.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Corrode posted:

You're a loving idiot, buddy. I can't think of a way to explain to you how much of a pain in the rear end the rulebook version of terrain set-ups would be for running an event because you're clearly too dumb to grasp it. Removing one (1) fortification from your choices because it makes my life more difficult than it needs to be is not 'not playing 40k' and neither is setting up terrain in the same fashion it's always been done instead of allowing players to gently caress around with it.

Let me rephrase this:

"How dare you insult the integrity of my inability to run a tournament following the rules of the game I am running the tournament for."

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deviant posted:

Let me rephrase this:

"How dare you insult the integrity of my inability to run a tournament following the rules of the game I am running the tournament for."

Have you ever run an event for a large number of people?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

CyberLord XP posted:

Well there you go.

Welp, now I know what I'm running my C:SM as: Red Scorpions. Do they get access to everything C:SM does or their own poo poo only, I forget.

e: btw, I know most of you have seen Loth, but if you haven't, here he is in all his bad-rear end glory:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Corrode posted:

Have you ever run an event for a large number of people?

All the players know the rules, they should be able to set up the terrain without your help.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

CyberLord XP posted:

Well there you go.

Ahaha, cheaper than Eldrad.

Guess I'm just going to have to break this guy out as an ally as many times as I need before people decide FW are best left to Apocalypse where imbalances are not shunned but embraced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deviant posted:

All the players know the rules, they should be able to set up the terrain without your help.

That isn't the question I asked.

• Locked thread