Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

IRQ posted:

Doesn't it though?

I wonder when the avatars will start.

This show is so good, I would switch gangtags for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's so many good scenes it's hard to pick what to use for an avatar :saddowns:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hockles posted:

This show is so good, I would switch gangtags for it.

The box Gang Tag...says no.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This is such a great show. I knew this was going to be something big as soon as I saw, in episode 4, Gideon's book. It's funny, the characters are fun and likable, it looks nice, and the plot that's emerging is interesting. There's obviously been a lot of love put into this show, and I hope it continues the standard of quality the first few episodes have set.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It's been a while since I seen a show where every single main and side and bit character is amazing.

Also I don't think I have ever seen a cartoon with neat hidden messages.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Whitenoise Poster posted:

It's been a while since I seen a show where every single main and side and bit character is amazing.

I was really worried about Wendy being "that female character" but at least judging by Episde 5, she is incredible.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Poultron posted:

I can confirm that this will indeed happen.

The annoying thing about this is that something in episode 5 has inspired, IMO, the most avatar-worthy moments so far and I feel like I've jumped the gun on my purchase.

Namely Smile Dip

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 9, 2012

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

an_mutt posted:

Namely Smile Dip

The shot of Mabel chewing the air, wide-eyed and in complete silence, killed me.

E: Spoilering, sorry.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 9, 2012

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

mobo85 posted:

Another interesting interview with Alex Hirsch, discussing, among other things, dream guest stars and using whiskey to catch leprechauns.

So Mabel is almost entirely pulled from his sister. I really want to meet this guy's sister, she must be hilarious.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Winklebottom posted:

The shot of Mabel chewing the air, wide-eyed and in complete silence, killed me.
The part that makes it for me is the low humming of the fridges besides her. It's so perfect and I don't know why.

Also "BLEVEN... TEEN." and everything leading up to it is hilarious too.
I can't wait for this episode to air properly so I can gush about it - I think it's the best so far.

edit: oh, oh, and "You're a dance machine!" "No, you're a dance machine! :cry:" is also brilliant.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 9, 2012

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

an_mutt posted:

The annoying thing about this is that something in episode 5 has inspired, IMO, the most avatar-worthy moments so far and I feel like I've jumped the gun on my purchase.

Namely Smile Dip

Mabel being "irrresistabbbllle" is still probably my favorite thing so I think you made a good choice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's a full Gravity Falls theme!

Also, ".. and Crampton St. Rumpterfrabble as irascible coxswain 'Saunterblugget Hampterfuppinshire." The delivery slayed me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It doesn't really sound like a full theme as much as it sounds like a prototype for the theme they ended up with.

The theme song is so good. I can't really place why. It seems to capture the feeling of the show so well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

It doesn't really sound like a full theme as much as it sounds like a prototype for the theme they ended up with.

Yeah, it's the base they used (you can hear the different parts) but there's no section which is exactly the theme.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Macaluso posted:

The theme song is so good. I can't really place why. It seems to capture the feeling of the show so well.

Yea I dunno, it's mysterious and sort of ominous but still cheery and fun.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Vaerai Archon posted:

Also episode 5 owned,how many episodes are we getting per season? 13? 26?
Someone e-mailed Michael Rianda, and season 1 is apparently going to be 20 episodes.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's kind of annoying that apparently watching the show on tv normally means I'm going to be a week behind forever :geno: Oh well, looking forward to Friday at any rate.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Finally saw the episode. It's hilarious as usual but I was pretty floored to see a Simpsons reference. It's a very recognizable one too.

Also the part where Dipper flips Mabel's hair in front of her face. Once the episode airs I need a gif of her after he does it. So funny. So is the crazy punching multiple arm dolphin rainbow lazer beam creature she creates while dripping on the candy holy cow I had to pause the episode I was laughing so hard.

edit: oh yeah I agree that Wendy is a great character

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 9, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's kind of annoying that apparently watching the show on tv normally means I'm going to be a week behind forever :geno: Oh well, looking forward to Friday at any rate.

Yeah, kind of sucks. But I'd rather wait and see it in HD than some lovely on demand SD bullshit.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just saw the lake monster episode. Mabel's hamster ball fantasy nearly killed me.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Watched the episode too. Once it airs, I will have already made an avatar of Dipper shoving the ice cream bar onto his face. With Adventure Time, I didn't have cable for a while, so I have a lot to catch up on. I'm not used to watching a cartoon as it comes out like I am with Gravity Falls.

I got my wife to watch this with the hook, "It's like a wacky animated Eerie, Indiana." She is enjoying it very much.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Macaluso posted:

Finally saw the episode. It's hilarious as usual but I was pretty floored to see a Simpsons reference. It's a very recognizable one too.

I must be dumb and didn't catch it. What was it?

Edit: Also add me to the "Going to get a Gravity Falls Avatar at some point" list.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I must be dumb and didn't catch it. What was it?

Edit: Also add me to the "Going to get a Gravity Falls Avatar at some point" list.

It's the thing Mabel does after Robbie says "Dude your SISTER did it!" The part where she's laying on the ground running and spinning going WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 9, 2012

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

IRQ posted:

Yeah, kind of sucks. But I'd rather wait and see it in HD than some lovely on demand SD bullshit.

Yeah, same here. I really don't want to sully this show's gorgeous animation by watching some crap SD rip. Only crisp HD here.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Macaluso posted:

It's the thing Mabel does after Robbie says "Dude your SISTER did it!" The part where she's laying on the ground running and spinning going WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP

Hahaha, I knew I recognized that from somewhere.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hahaha, I knew I recognized that from somewhere.

Uh, that's from The Three Stooges. The Simpsons were referencing it. It's a classic Curly gag.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

DoctorWhat posted:

Uh, that's from The Three Stooges. The Simpsons were referencing it. It's a classic Curly gag.

Okay look at least I knew it was a reference to something okay :saddowns:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Well then! I didn't know that.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Once episode 5 airs I
am going to get a lamby dance avatar. It will be great.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Also the part where Dipper flips Mabel's hair in front of her face. Once the episode airs I need a gif of her after he does it. So funny.

I still can't believe that I never did that to my sister as a kid. This show is bringing back memories.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The television shows within the show are great. Loving duck-tective, tiger fist and the dame show, hope we get lots more.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

HMS Beagle posted:

Once episode 5 airs I
am going to get a lamby dance avatar. It will be great.

Here's a .gif!

Blink! Ow.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It might make me lame but I want a hat like Dipper wears. I figured it'd be easy enough to make my own but I can't seem to find just a plain base hat that's blue with a white front :sigh:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

This is the most adorable thing :3:

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

mobo85 posted:

Another interesting interview with Alex Hirsch, discussing, among other things, dream guest stars and using whiskey to catch leprechauns.
This definitely explains why the twin dynamic with Mabel and Dipper is so goddamn genuine. Usually when twins are in a cartoon they're either super focused on how similar they are or how different they are, even when they deal with fraternal twins.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Kibibit posted:

This definitely explains why the twin dynamic with Mabel and Dipper is so goddamn genuine. Usually when twins are in a cartoon they're either super focused on how similar they are or how different they are, even when they deal with fraternal twins.

The interaction between Mabel and Dipper really makes the show. The balance they have between teasing and supporting each other is so much like real siblings.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Winklebottom posted:

The interaction between Mabel and Dipper really makes the show. The balance they have between teasing and supporting each other is so much like real siblings.

Go, Dipper! Punch that metal thing!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Winklebottom posted:

They are the cutest :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wCSXDU4EzM

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Yea this is just one of those things that you can tell is taken directly from the creators lives. It's too sweet and genuine to be written by a room full of writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Chexoid posted:

Yea this is just one of those things that you can tell is taken directly from the creators lives.

I hope this is not one of those things (Spoiler for episode 5)

• Locked thread