Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

I need this as an avatar stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Neo Helbeast posted:

As much fun as it is having people misread my name as "Fartboner", 80-TON SHAMEBOT is right at the top of my namechange list now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Episode 5 has the most reprehensible, vile, and scurrilous rap that has ever passed through mine own ears.

Homework's wack, and so are rules! Tucking in your shirt's for fools!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Neo Helbeast posted:

The folks in the mechwarrior threads will be after your blood if you change your robot jox avatar.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So is my understanding that the official term for fan of this show is a "Gravita" or "Gravitas" for plural, correct?

Is there any information on how the show is doing compared to TRON:Uprising? I like both shows but I've heard that Tron isn't doing all that well. So I'd like to see a comparison of viewership.

It would suck to loose either show.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Vaerai Archon posted:

So is my understanding that the official term for fan of this show is a "Gravita" or "Gravitas" for plural, correct?

Please don't do this

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vaerai Archon posted:

Ugh, nooooo, the last thing we need is some cutesy fandom nickname

Anyways, the topic came up elsewhere on the forums and someone swears that the Mystery Shack is a real place, can any of you Oregoneers back him up?

Vargo posted:

The Mystery Shack is absolutely a real place. It's actually called the House of Mystery, and it's about a half-hour drive from my house. This show is already awesome.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zeeman posted:

Please don't do this

All of this seems awfully familiar!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

One of my favorite parts so far have been the shows-within-the-show. It seems that animal + random drama trope = comedy.

Vaerai Archon posted:

No. No, no, no, no. NO! We are not tumblr. We are fans of the show, leave it at that.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It might make me lame but I want a hat like Dipper wears. I figured it'd be easy enough to make my own but I can't seem to find just a plain base hat that's blue with a white front :sigh:

From earlier in the thread:

Jzmisgoo posted:

SO I got this in the mail a couple days ago

It's just a generic trucker hat, It's really well made and the material used is EXTREMELY comfy. only $20 all together. Fits well with my collection of other hats I have.

Some guy made it on Zazzle, if anyone else wants the link I'll post it

Poultron posted:

I also got this hat. I only paid $12.29 for mine though. :smug: It's a pretty nice hat but a little big on me. I'd post a pic but I don't have a camera. Here's the hat if anybody wants one:

http://www.zazzle.com/2nd_hat-148714777896105181

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Vaerai Archon posted:

Some folks on Tumblr have taken to calling themselves "Fallers", and somehow you've managed the impossible and have come up with something even worse.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Vaerai Archon posted:

Don't. Just stop.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Farbtoner posted:

Anyways, the topic came up elsewhere on the forums and someone swears that the Mystery Shack is a real place, can any of you Oregoneers back him up?
One quick Google later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vs-oeKpD7w

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 10, 2012

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So there are plenty of sites out there that encode/decode caesar cyphers like the secret messages in the credits, but now there's one with an explicit Gravity Falls theme! :toot:

http://themysteryofgravityfalls.com/

Qrz zh kdyh dqrwkhu, wrwdoob qrw reqralrxv, zdb ri klglqj vsrlohuv!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The name for someone who likes Gravity Falls is whatever their name is. Period. Don't try to make some cutsie name for liking a how, it's dumb.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I really miss the days when I could call myself a "fan" of something without the added baggage of "fandom". Now people assume you've got a tumblr full of original character do not steal self-insert fanfic at the very least, and in the most extreme cases, you literally think that one of the characters lives in your head and occasionally takes control of your body.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Let's call ourselves gruncles in complete, ironic ignorance of the fact that Gruncle Stan is comically gross.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Travis343 posted:

I really miss the days when I could call myself a "fan" of something without the added baggage of "fandom". Now people assume you've got a tumblr full of original character do not steal self-insert fanfic at the very least, and in the most extreme cases, you literally think that one of the characters lives in your head and occasionally takes control of your body.
This has always been the case with weirdos, even before the Internet. How about we spend our time liking the show and not visiting Tumblr?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Pakled posted:

So there are plenty of sites out there that encode/decode caesar cyphers like the secret messages in the credits, but now there's one with an explicit Gravity Falls theme! :toot:

http://themysteryofgravityfalls.com/

Qrz zh kdyh dqrwkhu, wrwdoob qrw reqralrxv, zdb ri klglqj vsrlohuv!

Wklv lv jrqqd jhw rxw ri kdqg vr idvw.

So this guy makes some pretty awesome (if tiny) pixel art of Gravity Falls (there's spoilers from ep. 5 on his tumblr).

and some guy made an 8-bit version of the opening theme.

Now I just want a Gravity Falls video game. Someone call Double Fine, they got their new adventure game.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

(there's spoilers from ep. 5 on his tumblr)

I am this close to getting that thing as my avatar. I even have the perfect custom title.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Where are you people seeing episode 5?

Also I really want a Free Pizza shirt. I think I've got the gut to sport it.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

cyberia posted:

From earlier in the thread:

The hat got taken down, brosef.

Command Ant posted:

Let's call ourselves gruncles in complete, ironic ignorance of the fact that Gruncle Stan is comically gross.

It's spelled "Grunkle." This bothered me enough to make a post about it, so please do not incur my goony wrath again :colbert:

Winklebottom posted:

So this guy makes some pretty awesome (if tiny) pixel art of Gravity Falls (there's spoilers from ep. 5 on his tumblr).

I wouldn't be surprised if someone makes a Gravity Falls adventure game somewhere down the line. I would pay good money for something like that. It lends itself almost too well to the point and click genre. I guess some generic Mega Man platformer might be fun too.

Poultron fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 10, 2012

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Farbtoner posted:

Ugh, nooooo, the last thing we need is some cutesy fandom nickname

I think it's inspired by The Trees of Mystery as well, based on the giant Paul Bunyon statue, but that is located in Klamath, California. Also, the trees depicted in the show are Redwoods, but the middle of Oregon would either be Douglas Fir or ponderosa pine forests. Also the shack kind of reminds me of Marsh's Free Museum in Long Beach, WA as well as the Ye Olde Curiousity Shoppe on the Seattle waterfront.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lance Streetman posted:

Don't. Just stop.

I can't even describe how amusing it is to see one cartoon show fandom try so very hard to distance itself from another for literally no reason.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

IRQ posted:

I can't even describe how amusing it is to see one cartoon show fandom try so very hard to distance itself from another for literally no reason.

It's mostly just that we don't want to make the same "mistakes" that certain other fandom made. Calling ourselves a stupid lovely name isn't necessary, cool, or funny. All it breeds is a fandom. I just want to enjoy the show. In fact, I'd really appreciate it if people just straight up ignored any post that relates to fandom bullshit so this thread doesn't turn into a cesspool by page 15 and we all have to go into hiding and pretend we aren't fans of Gravity Falls, a cartoon show that is good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lacrosse posted:

I think it's inspired by The Trees of Mystery as well, based on the giant Paul Bunyon statue, but that is located in Klamath, California. Also, the trees depicted in the show are Redwoods, but the middle of Oregon would either be Douglas Fir or ponderosa pine forests. Also the shack kind of reminds me of Marsh's Free Museum in Long Beach, WA as well as the Ye Olde Curiousity Shoppe on the Seattle waterfront.

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier in the thread. I've been there--and to the Oregon Vortex (which my father almost got us kicked out of :v:)--and it's an obvious mishmash of the two. The House of Mystery is part of the Oregon Vortex attraction, by the way.

e: Oh yeah, and Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe in Seattle has a lot of this going on, too, except most of their stuff is legit, such as the prize geoduck and mummified sailor.

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 10, 2012

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

I am this close to getting that thing as my avatar. I even have the perfect custom title.

That title better be Homework's wack and so are rules! Tuckin' in your shirt's for fools!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

IRQ posted:

It's not distancing from loving bronies it's not being dumb. No one watching the show needs to draw ocs or give themselves a name or summon a Mabel Tulpa or write violent rapey fanfiction, not because bronies do all that but because it's all awful.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Winklebottom posted:

That title better be Homework's wack and so are rules! Tuckin' in your shirt's for fools!

That's disgusting. How could you post that. :nws: that poo poo, man.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

I was going to go with:

I can't really do it without a lamb costume.

Oh. Well.

There it is.

But both are good. I think I'll hold off until episode 5 airs, though.

Poultron posted:

It's mostly just that we don't want to make the same "mistakes" that certain other fandom made. Calling ourselves a stupid lovely name isn't necessary, cool, or funny. All it breeds is a fandom. I just want to enjoy the show. In fact, I'd really appreciate it if people just straight up ignored any post that relates to fandom bullshit so this thread doesn't turn into a cesspool by page 15 and we all have to go into hiding and pretend we aren't fans of Gravity Falls, a cartoon show that is good.

Can do.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

I was going to go with:

I can't really do it without a lamb costume.

Oh. Well.

There it is.

But both are good. I think I'll hold off until episode 5 airs, though.

Also acceptable. I need to use Grampton St. Rumpterfrabble as "Saunterblugget Hampterfuppinshire" for something.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Poultron posted:

It's spelled "Grunkle." This bothered me enough to make a post about it, so please do not incur my goony wrath again :colbert:

Uh-oh, grunkle rage!

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

IRQ posted:

Literally every TV show in existence has a fandom, complete with cutesy nickname for the fans, SA is just one of the few bastions on the entire internet from this kind of thing (well, aside from the Avatar threads). If Breaking Bad fans wanted to start calling themselves Heisenbergs or something we'd be just as critical.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

IRQ posted:

No one is doing this. Literally every new show that gets popular recently has people trolling by trying to force the stupidest loving fandom nickname they can think of, which isn't hard because naming fans is inherently the stupidest loving thing and has been since the history of people liking things. See: trekkies, avatards ect.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Poultron posted:

Fair enough. I agree. It's a drat shame when normal people who like a show have to pretend they don't because the internet has creeps on it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I don't have any experience whatsoever with this crazy weird fandom stuff (none at all!) but this show is pretty awesome!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Did Adventure Time ever have a dumb fandom name? It has a dumb fandom yeah, but I don't think I've heard anyone call themselves something like Timers or Oolings or something. Although I guess Adventure Time is slightly different because the creator of that show, and the crew in general is really into internet/fan participation. Their official tumblr reblogs fanart, crafts, actual things people are selling from Adventure Time and being totally cool with it, everything, while Pen Ward himself is a huge fan of some of the bigger webcomic people like Anthony Clark and Kate Beaton.

Anyway, speaking of fanart, I drew a picture of Mabel if... if you all are interested :ohdear:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Anyway, speaking of fanart, I drew a picture of Mabel if... if you all are interested :ohdear:

Very nice drawing, seriously. Now do Tiger Fist or Ducktective :v:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's awesome! Really good use of textures on that. I'm too terrified to search for fanart anywhere else on the internet, so feel free to keep posting it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Macaluso posted:

That's nice as heck son. Mabel is cute+the best.

• Locked thread