Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

HookShot posted:

If I add melted butter to half and half can I whip it into cream?

I need to make whipped cream for a recipe for my mom and she bought half and half, probably thinking it was healthier, and I can't go get some real cream until later.

I did exactly what you are doing while camping and it seemed to work. But try not to melt the butter too much, and use unsalted. Crisco would work too, I bet. Hell, try using bacon fat if you are curious, daring and abusive to your family. You've just got to get the fat content back up to a third. You'll be depending on vanilla to bring the flavor. Otherwise it'll taste like, well, fluffy butter. That was my stripper name, by the way.

You'll still have to finesse it a bit. Keep it very cold as you whip. That's why I was cautioning against melting the butter. Then stick it immediately in the freezer or on ice. See, you're trying to get past the problem of some of the added fat not easily becoming suspended. You'll have a stability issue even with plenty of fat.

Let us know if the bacon fat thing actually works. I think bacon-whipped cream will have a large market at truck stops, Wal-Marts, and county fairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I asked this in the smoking meat thread but figured I'd get a faster response here. I bought some frozen cryovac pork back ribs form kroger on the 3rd and threw them in the fridge to thaw for the 4th. Never got a chance to cook them. Will they last till this weekend in the fridge?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Noni posted:

I did exactly what you are doing while camping and it seemed to work. But try not to melt the butter too much, and use unsalted. Crisco would work too, I bet. Hell, try using bacon fat if you are curious, daring and abusive to your family. You've just got to get the fat content back up to a third. You'll be depending on vanilla to bring the flavor. Otherwise it'll taste like, well, fluffy butter. That was my stripper name, by the way.

You'll still have to finesse it a bit. Keep it very cold as you whip. That's why I was cautioning against melting the butter. Then stick it immediately in the freezer or on ice. See, you're trying to get past the problem of some of the added fat not easily becoming suspended. You'll have a stability issue even with plenty of fat.

Let us know if the bacon fat thing actually works. I think bacon-whipped cream will have a large market at truck stops, Wal-Marts, and county fairs.

Thanks for this! I'm going to give it a shot, but not with bacon fat sadly haha.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

I asked this in the smoking meat thread but figured I'd get a faster response here. I bought some frozen cryovac pork back ribs form kroger on the 3rd and threw them in the fridge to thaw for the 4th. Never got a chance to cook them. Will they last till this weekend in the fridge?

The cryovac boston butt I bought today is dated for the 23rd, so I'd say probably. Dunno if thawing changes that or not.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

Cryovac foods last pretty long. Open it and let it air out for a few minutes, the give it a sniff. Cryovac always smells like rear end when you first open it.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I have made Moroccan Chicken following (mostly) this recipe about 10,000 times and just love it:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Moroccan_Chicken_and_Couscous

I am having a small dinner party with another couple this weekend and want to make this recipe. Only catch is they are both on a low-carb diet. Is there a vegetable or other low-carb substitute I could use that would go good with this to replace the couscous? Any suggestions for sides would be welcome as well.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

nesbit37 posted:

I have made Moroccan Chicken following (mostly) this recipe about 10,000 times and just love it:

I am having a small dinner party with another couple this weekend and want to make this recipe. Only catch is they are both on a low-carb diet. Is there a vegetable or other low-carb substitute I could use that would go good with this to replace the couscous? Any suggestions for sides would be welcome as well.

How about some charred/grilled veggie kabobs with some sort of greek yogurt based sauce?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
That will definitely work as a side. I think what I am asking about with the couscous is that it just soaks up the excess sauce with the chicken and tastes amazing. Is there anything low carb that might work in a similar fashion or should I just consider the chicken as its own independent food for this meal?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

My first thought was cauliflower, just because it's often suggested as a low carb potato substitute -but maybe a neutral-tasting fungus like a crimini would work?
Either way, you'll want to get a bunch of the moisture out.

There's also a kind of squash called "spaghetti squash" that has a spongy interior that gets nice pasta-like texture when it's cooked. It also soaks up some flavors, but I've only ever just roasted it with butter and garlic.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

You can grate cauliflower with a microplane to make cauliflower "cous cous". It is a technique pioneered by Ferran Adria at El Bulli.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 9, 2012

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can grate cauliflower with a microplane to make cauliflower "cous cous". It is a technique pioneered by Ferran Adria at El Bulli.

That's an great idea. But here's a word of advice for nesbit37 so you don't make the same dumbass mistake as me: Grate the cauliflower, heat it a little, and dry that poo poo out using a cheesecloth. Cauliflower seems to release a lot of liquid when grated and heated. You'll want to dry it according to how much liquid you want it to absorb.

You can also do some interesting things when you add egg whites. For example, you can make something that resembles breadsticks or pizza crust. It's confusing as hell to eat.

Edit:

Here's a fake breadstick example.

Noni fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 10, 2012

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I have some boneless short ribs, but I have never cooked them before. Does anyone have any links or suggestions for cooking them? Time isn't a huge issue, but I'd like it to be under 6 hours if possible.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

downout posted:

I have some boneless short ribs, but I have never cooked them before. Does anyone have any links or suggestions for cooking them? Time isn't a huge issue, but I'd like it to be under 6 hours if possible.

Here is a recipe I use for pot roast because I don't like the fat in short ribs, but it is very tasty:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/scotts-short-ribs-recipe/index.html

I use a Pinot noir for the wine.

Никогда не доверяйте толстому полицейскому или тощему повару

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, okay. I thought that was a specifically mixed drink thread, but I guess it's all booze that isn't otherwise covered? Thanks.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
What's a general good amount of time to leave homemade pasta to dry before cooking it?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
you don't have to dry it at all. boil for 2-3 mins and eat delicious fresh pasta

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've picked up a couple of jars of lao gan ma. They have different ingredients but I'm just wondering about their use in stir fries. Do I use them as a general sauce for the stir fry or added to other things to improve the flavour. I realise I can do both, just want to know which is usual

Jose fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 10, 2012

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Angry Lady Sauce! I use mine like a condiment just before eating.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Thanks for the cauliflower couscous suggestions! Will definitely give that a go and be sure to dry it out.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Scott Bakula posted:

I've picked up a couple of jars of lao gan ma. They have different ingredients but I'm just wondering about their use in stir fries. Do I use them as a general sauce for the stir fry or added to other things to improve the flavour. I realise I can do both, just want to know which is usual
I once put it on tacos. It worked.

That stuff is amazing, and should be used everywhere. I'd throw some on dan dan mian, because it adds a ton of awesome flavor, and I do in fact use it in stir fry sauces once in a while, especially for tofu, because it adds flavor and crispiness.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh, okay. I thought that was a specifically mixed drink thread, but I guess it's all booze that isn't otherwise covered? Thanks.

Yessir!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Charmmi posted:

Angry Lady Sauce! I use mine like a condiment just before eating.

Yep, this is my table hot sauce. (Except at breakfast when I prefer Louisiana style).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I decided to taste it so I know how much to use when I do use it and its amazing

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

It's pretty easy to make, too. Just chili oil with a lot of chilies, sichuan peppercorns, shallots, and salt.

and fried soybeans if you so desire, I don't really care for them.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Spaghetti Carbonara...I was looking for the thread but wanted to ask here since I plan on making it tomorrow...

I have 8 oz. of pancetta (it was bought pre-cut, kind of looking like lardons...2 4oz packages)
I have eggs
I have some wheat spaghetti.

Do I need anything else? IIRC, I cook the pancetta a bit, while boiling some water with salt. Cook the pasta, drain. After the pasta is drained, transfer to the pan with pancetta. Remove pan from heat, add whisked egg, stir. Add black pepper. Finish.

Am I missing anything?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

nwin posted:

Spaghetti Carbonara...I was looking for the thread but wanted to ask here since I plan on making it tomorrow...

I have 8 oz. of pancetta (it was bought pre-cut, kind of looking like lardons...2 4oz packages)
I have eggs
I have some wheat spaghetti.

Do I need anything else? IIRC, I cook the pancetta a bit, while boiling some water with salt. Cook the pasta, drain. After the pasta is drained, transfer to the pan with pancetta. Remove pan from heat, add whisked egg, stir. Add black pepper. Finish.

Am I missing anything?
I don't know the officially anointed ritual from the thread, but I fry up the pancetta while I'm boiling the pasta, when it's done I take the fry pan off the heat and throw in some minced garlic (so it's cooked with carryover but not to the point of browning). Then I lightly whip together the egg(s) and some finely grated pecorino or good parmesan. The cooked pasta goes in the pan with the pancetta and garlic, then the egg and cheese are added while everything is kept moving. Finish with some freshly ground black pepper.

For proportions, for each individual serving of pasta I'd go for I dunno 2 oz of pancetta, maybe a clove of diced garlic, one egg, and around 2 Tbsp of grated cheese.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
grated parmesan ^^ :argh: drat you

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

SubG posted:

For proportions, for each individual serving of pasta I'd go for I dunno 2 oz of pancetta, maybe a clove of diced garlic, one egg, and around 2 Tbsp of grated cheese.

I definitely forgot the freshly grated parmesan, which I have.

Everything about your prep looks good, but one question about proportions. I'm serving for myself and my wife...how much pasta for the above ratios? I would just cook the whole pound of pasta like I normally do, but in my experience, carbonara probably doesn't reheat too well (never tried it, never want to).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

nwin posted:

Everything about your prep looks good, but one question about proportions. I'm serving for myself and my wife...how much pasta for the above ratios? I would just cook the whole pound of pasta like I normally do, but in my experience, carbonara probably doesn't reheat too well (never tried it, never want to).

I do just about the same thing as SubG, and I find that works fine with 8oz of pasta.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

nwin posted:

A pound is a lot of pasta. For something like carbonara (which is pretty heavy to start with), I probably wouldn't go over about 3 ounces as a serving, maybe 4. That's assuming you're serving it as a single plate meal, less if you're serving it as a pasta course. In actual fact I just eyeball it.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I thought you weren't supposed to drain the pasta water, but keep it on hand to add to the carbonara if things got too dry/pasty?

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Just want to leave this here for anyone interested: http://www.choppedcasting.com/application/special

Chopped is doing an all-amateur show and they're taking applications online. Be warned, you're going to have to beat out Drew Magary. :v:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

tarepanda posted:

I thought you weren't supposed to drain the pasta water, but keep it on hand to add to the carbonara if things got too dry/pasty?
I wouldn't with carbonara. There aren't a whole hell of a lot of moving parts in the recipe, and it's not like you're going to get really dry eggs or something, and it's not like you're doing any simmering. The main failure modes are having the eggs curdle (due to too much heat) or failure to melt the cheese (due to it being ground too coarsely or waiting to long to throw it in), and adding water won't help you with either of those.

Pasta water is more useful with something like arrabiata or bolognese, where you finishing cooking the pasta in the sauce to encourage binding the sauce to the surface of the pasta.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

tarepanda posted:

I always save a bit of water if I can. If I grate too much cheese, then I can throw a bit of water in. Of course, I wing it each and every time instead of measuring.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
What happens if I accidentally doubled the butter in my cookie dough recipe?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

FamDav posted:

What happens if I accidentally doubled the butter in my cookie dough recipe?

I don't know, but you'd butter eat some dough to find out how it tastes!

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

tarepanda posted:

I don't know, but you'd butter eat some dough to find out how it tastes!

Haha the dough tastes fine, I'm just wondering if it's going to affect the consistency when I bake it.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

FamDav posted:

Haha the dough tastes fine, I'm just wondering if it's going to affect the consistency when I bake it.

They will spread out like crazy and not set up right. I made the same recipe wrong THREE TIMES in the same night before I figured out that the short sticks here on the west coast are not half of the long sticks I grew up with in Oklahoma. I didn't get to serve dessert to my guests. I was so sad.

That was six years ago. I've figured it out by now.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Valdara posted:

They will spread out like crazy and not set up right. I made the same recipe wrong THREE TIMES in the same night before I figured out that the short sticks here on the west coast are not half of the long sticks I grew up with in Oklahoma. I didn't get to serve dessert to my guests. I was so sad.

That was six years ago. I've figured it out by now.

This. This is what I did wrong.

Edit: WIshes you were wrong. Gonna let Mission J Chip sit for a bit to see if he just stays extra chewy, but morale is low.

FamDav fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Blooming spices: is there a difference between heating spices in a dry pan vs with oil and aromatics?

Specifically moroccan chicken. The gws recipe calls for a dry pan then applied to the chicken. Americas test kitchen did mostly the same recipe, but added the spices to the onion after browning the chicken.

Does it make a difference?