Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Oh I just remembered another question I had for the wise ones... I took the spider shield to Blighttown with me because I had heard it had poison resisting qualities. I don't see any difference in my stat screen when I equip it. Can somebody confirm/deny the poison resistance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
When you pull it out and put it away with the left Dpad button, does the poison meter pop up? If one of those meters pops up after you put on a new piece of equipment, that's an indication that it boosts your resistance to whatever status.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lost Izalith is not quite as bad as the Tomb of the Giants though!

At least you can see where you're going in the former. And it's kind of pretty.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

The Zombie Guy posted:

Oh I just remembered another question I had for the wise ones... I took the spider shield to Blighttown with me because I had heard it had poison resisting qualities. I don't see any difference in my stat screen when I equip it. Can somebody confirm/deny the poison resistance?

I don't recall if it actually adds poison resistance, but it has the special trait that if a poisoning or bleeding attack strikes you while blocking with it then you won't build up any poison/bleed/toxin.

It's incredibly useful if you tend to rely a lot on blocking when fighting toxic blowdart guys and the club brutes (or the mosquitoes I guess), but otherwise you can make it through just fine without it.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 11, 2012

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Volt Catfish posted:

It does seem pretty weird that a game with creators that clearly went out of their way to create gorgeous and detailed environments included a level where you can't see poo poo.

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 11, 2012

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

The Zombie Guy posted:

Today was my first time in the maze of ladders and planks in Blighttown (I now see what you guys were talking about with this section being laggy). I backstabbed one of the ghouls, and my kick knocked him to a platform just below me. Instead of waiting for him to run back up so I could finish him off, I decided to be fancy and do a drop attack. Well, the drop attack killed the ghoul, but it killed me too. The force of my impact shattered the feeble planks the ghoul was standing on, and sent us both plunging waaaaaay down into nothing. YOU DIED. :darksouls:

The moral I learned, was don't try to be fancy, just kill the drat thing.

This is loving great.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Maremidon posted:

It does seem pretty weird that a game with creators that clearly went out of their way to create gorgeous and detailed environments included a level where you can't see poo poo.

And they still manage to make it look good with the views down into the demon ruins and ash lake.

Moldy Sausage
Oct 5, 2004
Where am I going?
I just finished the Depths and my equipment could use some updating. Is a longsword a good enough weapon for me to keep upgrading it or should I look for something better? I was thinking of switching to a Zweihander but it swings too slowly for me.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Moldy Sausage posted:

I just finished the Depths and my equipment could use some updating. Is a longsword a good enough weapon for me to keep upgrading it or should I look for something better? I was thinking of switching to a Zweihander but it swings too slowly for me.

My first playthrough I used a Longsword until near the end, so you'll probably be fine with that.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
If you're going PvE with your only PvP being getting invaded sometimes, yeah, a longsword is perfectly fine. Hell, you could beat the game with a broken straight sword if you wanted to. Weapon choices only really matter when it comes to PvP - so, keep whatever you like using!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Tomb of Giants owned so much harder before they patched in the Catacombs skull lantern drop.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I think I'm going to restart my game again as a heavy armored knight with high faith and strength. :negative:

Magic just doesn't feel very rewarding in this game. It's slow, but the payoff is basically damage I could have done walking up and stabbing the drat thing in the face (except stabbing it would do more damage). Faith seems more utilitarian than anything else, which is probably what I'd prefer while I wander around smashing faces.

Here's a fun thing though: First playthrough and I'm level 15 at 9 hours in. Second playthrough I'm 39 with 18 hours in. Third playthrough, I'm 57 with 17 hours in. The more you play this game, the more you own it so completely. It's kind of unreal.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Tomb of Giants owned so much harder before they patched in the Catacombs skull lantern drop.

And how. If you want that skull lantern you have to earn it :unsmigghh:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You can really just run through the entire Tombs and ignore a ton of stuff, though. My first run, I kind of stumbled about and ended up in Tomb before I went to Queelag. Then I went and found the orange fog door, locked by the Lord Vessel by stumbling around in the darkness (aka running towards the light).

Eventually, I picked up a bunch of the stuff in it, like getting kicked down the hole and the Ember.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I just found out you can cut off individual centipedes on the Centipede Demon and they turn into unique enemies :psyduck:

God I wish they'd just add a rebalancing/remaking patch for Lost Izalith. There's so much poo poo that could be done better if they just like, replaced the lava field with some platforms/buildings in lava with normal enemies, maybe added a "regular" enemy that doesn't suck as much as the Stone Demons, and fixed Bed of Chaos.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Add a maze-like city section for Lost Izalith fighting through the fire-based and demonized former inhabitants of the city that forever burns, with lava falls and rivers cutting through and it poo poo. That'd be much more awesome.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Alabaster White posted:

I just found out you can cut off individual centipedes on the Centipede Demon and they turn into unique enemies :psyduck:

I wish they'd made that easier to do. You focus on a limb and end up lopping it off. Do you get a special weapon like with dragons? Hahaha, no, gently caress you.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Maremidon posted:

I wish they'd made that easier to do. You focus on a limb and end up lopping it off. Do you get a special weapon like with dragons? Hahaha, no, gently caress you.

Although the ring drops early I think. If you're quick enough to equip it, it can really help in the fight. I know, not much. I do wish you got something extra for it though.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Maremidon posted:

The Orange Charred Ring will drop if you cut it's "tail" off. This makes it much easier to fight it again if you die after doing this.

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary
I think you get the ring for cutting off any of its appendages, not just the tail.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Just saw this posted in the Dark Souls LP thread going on right now, hadn't seen it here before:

\o/

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
So just earlier I discovered that you can be backstabbed by the Silver Knights. The Spear-wielding ones, at least; I didn't try out the sword ones. They have a unique animation for it and everything.

There're so many little touches in this game. I find new things almost every time I play, and I'm approaching 200 hours at this point.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So joined the forest covenant for 5 kills and found that the pvp in this game is a complete joke. Usually a player and a phantom waiting in crazy gear to gangbang you. When I saw this I would just run to the opposite side of the zone making them follow me and rolled off a cliff when they got close.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Shima Honnou posted:

Add a maze-like city section for Lost Izalith fighting through the fire-based and demonized former inhabitants of the city that forever burns, with lava falls and rivers cutting through and it poo poo. That'd be much more awesome.

There was supposed to be an entire clan of pyromancers that lived in Izalith, right? I would have much preferred several intense fights with differently specialized pyromancers than what we got.

I mean just imagine winding paths with pyromancers lying in wait to use combustion, fire orb, and those goddamned poison spells. Put the bonfire at the start of it, make one encounter that has two pyromancers, and then a final stand-off with the pyromancer you fight currently. Then head off to the Bed of Chaos, which is mostly the same except less bull-poo poo and instead of just killing some lame-rear end thing in the center, you fight what is essentially the embodiment of chaos and fire in will-o-the-wisp form.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

So joined the forest covenant for 5 kills and found that the pvp in this game is a complete joke. Usually a player and a phantom waiting in crazy gear to gangbang you. When I saw this I would just run to the opposite side of the zone making them follow me and rolled off a cliff when they got close.

It's mainly just that covenant that's like that, with groups of three farming invaders. Not very fun.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Tenzarin posted:

Low lvl PVP is much more enjoyable, especially if you're doing invading with gimmick builds. If you can get ahold of some red-eye orbs, try invading around Blighttown. The Forest is a notorious clusterfuck of twinked-out farming minmaxers, PvP can be so much more fun than that.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking about making a low lvl Capra-Demon pvp build, dual Machetes and all. Which helm would go best? I'm leaning towards Ornstein's, or the Helm of the Wise for the horns.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Don't make the mistake of thinking Forest PvP represents the PvP in this game at all, for your own sake. The forest covenant is structured in such a way that it's perfect for massively over-leveled jackasses to sit around with phantom buddies and farm people who can't possibly pose a threat to them.

It's much better when you're invading in whatever area you please and not just trying to slog through the repetitive tedium of trying to find the occasional person near your level using the cat ring.

McKilligan posted:

Speaking of which, I'm thinking about making a low lvl Capra-Demon pvp build, dual Machetes and all. Which helm would go best? I'm leaning towards Ornstein's, or the Helm of the Wise for the horns.

No helm, just go with the two swords and Hollow pants of some sort. It'll also keep your weight down.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 11, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

McKilligan posted:

Low lvl PVP is much more enjoyable, especially if you're doing invading with gimmick builds. If you can get ahold of some red-eye orbs, try invading around Blighttown. The Forest is a notorious clusterfuck of twinked-out farming minmaxers, PvP can be so much more fun than that.

Wise helm or Boar helm. You'll need a decent amount of strength, so unfortunately you'll probably end up being way too high to torment people in Lower Undead Burg or the Depths, but you might be able to get some Anor Londo, or go all-out and do Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith.

if you COMPLETELY forgo Vit/End, starting as a pyromancer you can still be SL29 with two machetes, but you'll need both the FAP and Havel's rings to not get fatroll, and that's before adding a helmet and waistcloth to mimick Capra's look.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

if you COMPLETELY forgo Vit/End, starting as a pyromancer you can still be SL29 with two machetes, but you'll need both the FAP and Havel's rings to not get fatroll, and that's before adding a helmet and waistcloth to mimick Capra's look.

From my experience, SL30-35 is absolutely ideal for invading in Blighttown, and if you plan to dip into END after you hit 40 STR, or even just have more survivability, you're going to be much better off starting as a Bandit over Pyro.

To save you some time, here's what it'd look like at SL33 Bandit: http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=3666806746867659

Helm of the Wise is probably a good choice and it keeps you just under 50% if you get to at least 17 END. For a second ring I'd recommend either ninja flip or Wolf (which manages to hit the 53 poise breakpoint exactly), whichever playstyle you prefer.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 11, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Considering he wants to use fairly heavy weapons, he might be better off with the Wolf ring in that case so he can eat a hit if he whiffs the first swing.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

From my experience, SL30-35 is absolutely ideal for invading in Blighttown, and if you plan to dip into END after you hit 40 STR, or even just have more survivability, you're going to be much better off starting as a Bandit over Pyro.

To save you some time, here's what it'd look like at SL33 Bandit: http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=3666806746867659

Helm of the Wise is probably a good choice and it keeps you just under 50% if you get to at least 17 END. For a second ring I'd recommend either ninja flip or Wolf (which manages to hit the 53 poise breakpoint exactly), whichever playstyle you prefer.

That's lookin' pretty good - I think I might take it up to SL 36 so I can equip the Bloodstained Skirt and keep the medium roll for a bit more of a 'Pyramidhead' vibe.

Lagos
Mar 17, 2004

Hates Loud Noise

Nahxela posted:

When you pull it out and put it away with the left Dpad button, does the poison meter pop up? If one of those meters pops up after you put on a new piece of equipment, that's an indication that it boosts your resistance to whatever status.

The blood shield does this because it actually adds to your resistance scores. The spider shield doesn't work that way.

The spider shield works such that if it blocks 100% of the damage, it also blocks 100% of the poison damage. Most shields don't do this (the Greatshield of Artorias is the only one I know) and if you block, for example, a poop giant's club or a rat with a different shield, you should see your poison/toxic meter go up a little.

This makes the Spider Shield useful for poison heavy areas (and one enemy type in Blighttown in particular), but its low stability makes something like the tower kite shield better in general.

Lagos
Mar 17, 2004

Hates Loud Noise

Volt Catfish posted:

If you have 12 int, you can use Cast Light. :)

Lagos
Mar 17, 2004

Hates Loud Noise

Shima Honnou posted:

With strength and dexterity that low you might need to rely upon lightning or fire/chaos, but with that much faith you can probably get some good damage out of divine.

I just checked and it looks like even with 50 faith, a max lightning claymore will outdamage either an occult or divine one. So I'll probably go that route with a fire something to tide me over and switch to an enchantable weapon for bosses.

quote:

Still, 474 magic damage added on top of around, say, the 327 of a Claymore +15 isn't something to sneeze at. Could make for a really good Darkmoon setup if you play it right and upgrade your covenant rank with ears.

Agreed. I'll probably stick with sunlight weapon for now since I want to sunbro it up for a while and I have the PvP ability of a blind hemophiliac.

One interesting note is that the enchants add a straight AR in my understanding: Meaning it's much better to put them on a fast weapon you can hit with a bunch of times than a bigger one. So the claymore's not a great choice. I should probably use something fast like the Balder Side Sword or the Estoc for Lady of teh Darkling cosplay.

Actually, as a general question, what weapon can hit a bunch of times and be optimal for enchants? What about a bunch of times with decent range?

One other note for all the burgeoning sorcerers posting in this thread: Faith's weapon enchants are powerful, but they both only have 1 charge. Magic Weapon, Greater Magic Weapon, and Crystal Magic Weapon have a lot more, which is one argument for int being versatile compared to faith.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

The correct way is to hug the left hand cliff, run all the way past the Ents, and jump off the cliff. You'll land in Darkroot Basin not too far from the Hydra and Crystal Golems. If they manage to beat those guys, you can either climb the super high ladder and try to kick them off when they follow you, or kite everyone all the way back up to the bonfire and aggro all the stone knights and manta rays.

Cheeman
Jun 6, 2012

muttaaaa
Fire caestus is the best drat thing. I just spent a couple hours getting summoned in the depths and fighting the boss with people using drake swords and zweihanders, while I pound away at the maw of an unholy beast with my fists.

How many zones away is sen's fortress from the depths? I can't wait to fistfight in that labyrinth of traps. This game is addictive hell.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
That one charge is what makes Faith seem more like a PvP/Sunbro build than Int. In PvP you presumably shouldn't need more than the one charge then it's back to your own world which should recharge you, and that makes sense since Darkmoon Blade is only for Darkmoons to begin with. For Sunbroing, you'd only want to pop your enchantment when you hit the boss or if a Darkwraith invades the host - but then, considering Sunbros are awarded miracles for joining and ranking up as well as the faith-or-boss-kill requirement, their focus being based on faith is a bit of a given.

Just for the sake of convenience, I'd say that the BSS and the Estoc are virtually interchangeable with a Lady of the Darkling gimmick, since they look so similar, although the BSS will probably color match the brass armor better. Her offhand I believe is a mail breaker, but I've only killed her once for her armor and soul, so I'm pretty much only going on the sheath of it. A parrying dagger would also work for that since I doubt most people would be able to tell the difference.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Cheeman posted:

How many zones away is sen's fortress from the depths? I can't wait to fistfight in that labyrinth of traps. This game is addictive hell.
After Depths, there's one more area and you can go to Sen's

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

Cheeman posted:

Fire caestus is the best drat thing. I just spent a couple hours getting summoned in the depths and fighting the boss with people using drake swords and zweihanders, while I pound away at the maw of an unholy beast with my fists.

Depths -> Low FPS Filth City -> Boss -> Sen's Fortress

And when you're there, do a fist parry for your friend gwaaargh. It's intensely satisfying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Moldy Sausage posted:

The Iaito is available really early on in Blight Town and its fun to use. Fast attack, has a stab running attack and the strong attack has a short dash on it before it attacks.

I think I need to change shields though since I'm just using a spider shield + 6 at the minute

• Locked thread