Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Dane posted:

Some worthless excuse for a human being broke in (smashing the new door and a window) and used a skilsaw to cut out the induction burners and the oven. Not happy with just stealing, they decided to smash up the sinks in both kitchen and bathrooms and broke the cistern for the toilet - so in addition to the damage to door and window, there's now water damage all over.

Did someone do the work for you? Breaking into a cottage on spec and grabbing recently installed kitchen stuff (and doing it properly so as not to damage them) kind of seems suspiciously convenient? I had a friend who had his cottage robbed of a fridge/dishwasher and it turned out it was the installer's assistant scouting places for him and his buddies to rob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

bunnielab posted:

poo poo, you only live half way to Oakland, the worst you could do is maybe cut the guy off in traffic and flip him the bird.

Halfway?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Toast posted:

Did someone do the work for you? Breaking into a cottage on spec and grabbing recently installed kitchen stuff (and doing it properly so as not to damage them) kind of seems suspiciously convenient? I had a friend who had his cottage robbed of a fridge/dishwasher and it turned out it was the installer's assistant scouting places for him and his buddies to rob.

yeah, this was the first thing that popped into my mind too. that's WAY too specific of something to steal. and who the gently caress steals a stove?

sounds like whoever did the work really loving hates you or you missed an invoice or something :(

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mindphlux posted:

yeah, this was the first thing that popped into my mind too. that's WAY too specific of something to steal. and who the gently caress steals a stove?

sounds like whoever did the work really loving hates you or you missed an invoice or something :(

Or your contractor was a cheap gently caress who used day laborers instead of having his own crew.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Goddamnit Dane :(

Grab a tent and camp out on the grounds instead?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Dane posted:

I'd just like to go on record saying: gently caress YOU, YOU JUNKIE FUCKSTICKS DICKBISCUIT COCKPLOW NO-BRAINED SHITEATING CUNTS.

We (my sister, my cousin and I) have spent pretty much all of our savings fixing up the summer cottage we inherited from our grandparents. Nothing super fancy, but I wanted to upgrade the kitchen so we would have more than two electric coils and a toaster oven to cook on - so I went with a counter-mounted induction rig and a decent oven, a nice porcelain sink, a fairly pricy countertop etc. We also renovated the bathroom.

Some worthless excuse for a human being broke in (smashing the new door and a window) and used a skilsaw to cut out the induction burners and the oven. Not happy with just stealing, they decided to smash up the sinks in both kitchen and bathrooms and broke the cistern for the toilet - so in addition to the damage to door and window, there's now water damage all over. Early estimates for repairs & replacements are in the $12-15k range, what with parts and labour for window, door, plumbing, new floors, new drywall, stove etc.

We have insurance, but my cousin called them today and they said they were experiencing longer than usual processing of claims, so we shouldn't expect to see any money before october. That's the vacations of three families out the loving window, as none of us have the means to finance the repairs and replacements.

rear end. Holes.

Someone do something idiotic to cheer me up, please.

I have some North Korean whisky that I may just film myself drinking for you tomorrow. I've been meaning to, uh, crack into that bottle.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
They did the same to the two houses behind us, cutting out anything of value. That's why I call them junkies; what's the fell of the back of a truck price for a $450 oven, a hundred bucks?

We had three different trades in, a guy doing plumbing, some kitchen guys and a carpenter who did the floors and the new door. I mounted the stovetop and the oven myself, so as much as I'd love to blame those guys, I think it's either junkies or one of the gangs of (WARNING RACISM ALERT OKAY) eastern europeans who drive up here in vans, empty summer homes until the vans are full and drive back home to sell it.

What pisses me off the most is the collateral damage. Have to replace the entire countertop, thousands of monies damage to floors because they for some reason thought that us having a toilet and sink was wrong or something.

I don't even know. I'm just so loving angry.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I've got to keep an eye on the lead inspection people who are coming tomorrow because apparently lead/asbestos abatement people are usually ex-cons.

No sir, there's no problem, just following you around to make sure you don't try to jack my poo poo.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Happy Hat posted:

Also - wearing kilt rocks

This is true, but not Tartan ones, and especially if you're American and you've seen Brigadoon once and decided you're basically Scottish.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Sucks about those travelling gangs. The police districts up here teamed up on them a while back and had a bunch of them locked up when they figured out the wonders of actually sharing information across districts.

Also,

e: also love the caption http://imgur.com/gallery/Mim0s

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 10, 2012

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

I thought you lived on that weird little island?

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Congrats on cancer-free babby FGR! And really sorry to hear abour your summer cottage Dane :(

Back from Roskilde Festival. I just slept 16 hours and I'm still a bit tired. Kilts are fun yes, one of my friends wore one at the festival. So many people saw his dick.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Gentlemen, I have been blessed by the pork gods. My butcher caught me while I was picking up some bacon ends, and sold me 20lbs of pork tenderloin... at $1.98 per pound.

After the recent terrible bullshit recipe capers, I feel I must do this justice while feeding my poor rear end. So, half of it is being brined in apple juice with fresh rosemary and a bit of bourbon, to be either braised or smoked depending on how motivated I get.

What should I do with the other half, beyond the obvious of slicing it up and having a week's worth of chops?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Sometimes the obvious answer is the right answer. I vote for chops.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
...which is the point of Roskilde!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

What should I do with the other half, beyond the obvious of slicing it up and having a week's worth of chops?

The obvious is not chops, it's this http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493011&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post405326415

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Man, I'm poor as gently caress. I'm not going to go buy all his specialized ingredients just not waste them on that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Gentlemen, I have been blessed by the pork gods. My butcher caught me while I was picking up some bacon ends, and sold me 20lbs of pork tenderloin... at $1.98 per pound.

After the recent terrible bullshit recipe capers, I feel I must do this justice while feeding my poor rear end. So, half of it is being brined in apple juice with fresh rosemary and a bit of bourbon, to be either braised or smoked depending on how motivated I get.

is it pork loin or tenderloin? if its tenderloin, those will be some tiny rear end chops. I think fancy chefs call them medallions.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Liquid Communism Eat The Tenderloin

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I actually have a pork tenderloin too that I don't really know what to do with, I never buy these things but my wife grabbed one at the grocery store because it was on sale (she loves to buy meat that is on sale....) I was going to just put some seasoning on it and grill it. Cook's Illustrated claims that will work, but I'd love a better suggestion.

I guess medallions and some kinda pan sauce would work...

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I like making Pork en croûte with them, a mushroom duxelle just like a Beef Wellington. It comes out really nicely.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

bunnielab posted:

I thought you lived on that weird little island?

Oh right. I moved to actual Oakland a year ago though.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Aramoro posted:

This is true, but not Tartan ones, and especially if you're American and you've seen Brigadoon once and decided you're basically Scottish.

I got lost in a wikipedia black hole the other day and learned that each US state has an official state tartan. Why?! I'm just bitter though because California's is lame. :(

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

FishBulb posted:

I actually have a pork tenderloin too that I don't really know what to do with, I never buy these things but my wife grabbed one at the grocery store because it was on sale (she loves to buy meat that is on sale....) I was going to just put some seasoning on it and grill it. Cook's Illustrated claims that will work, but I'd love a better suggestion.
Simple rub, smoke, apply a finishing sauce of habenero and maple jelly during resting.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Drink and Fight posted:

Oh right. I moved to actual Oakland a year ago though.

Once I played a show in Oakland and had to remove dog poo poo from the stage before I set up my gear.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Once I played a show in Oakland and had to remove dog poo poo from the stage before I set up my gear.
Define "stage".

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

(same club, not me)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You were going on after 311?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Ke$ha

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Should have booked Divine after that and before you.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hey so I'm pretty new to this whole vacuum-sealer-at-home deal, but getting excited about my possibilities with it.

I love making duck confit, and bought some duck today to make some with. I had the revelation that I could use much much less duck fat, and also theoretically confit individual serving size portions of duck, cooking it right in the bag since all the oxygen would be out anyways - and it'd keep for just as long as normal confit. with the added benefit of not having to dig one or two pieces out of a huge jar of congealed duck fat every time I wanna make a salad or something.

anyways, am I right in assuming I'm safe to do this? I was planning on doing my normal procedure of getting some garlic and herbs, cutting slits in my duck legs, shoving garlic up in there, rubbing everything with herbs, covering very liberally with kosher salt for about 8 hours, giving them a quick rinse and pat bone dry.

then normally I'd put them in a huge pot of duck fat in my oven at about 200-220 for about 2-4 hours until falling apart, place in jars, top with 350 degree fat (all moisture rendered out), and store for up to about 4 months.

so my revised procedure would be to portion out individual servings into bags, put a little (solid, cool) duck fat into the bag, vacuum seal, and put in a lightly simmering (200-212 deg) pot of water on my stove for about 2-3 hours. then just take out, refrigerate, and forget about for ages!

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 11, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
reading stuff about botulism - should I do most of the cooking in a water bath and then throw my bags into a pressure cooker for 10 or 15 minutes? I've never done that sort of thing or seen anything about worrying about botulism in the many french confit recipes I've read, but...

man I'm tired of the internet making me worried about botulism. :( it's like the most annoying thing.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
that's it, I'm e-mailing michael ruhlman.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

mindphlux posted:

reading stuff about botulism - should I do most of the cooking in a water bath and then throw my bags into a pressure cooker for 10 or 15 minutes? I've never done that sort of thing or seen anything about worrying about botulism in the many french confit recipes I've read, but...

man I'm tired of the internet making me worried about botulism. :( it's like the most annoying thing.

Well maybe the second most annoying thing next to actually getting botulism.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The botulism stuff is annoying because it acts as if you have to go above and beyond normal precautions. Make sure meat comes up to a safe temp (above 140 degrees) within about an hour once you put it in the circulator, and ice chill meat after cooking it if you're not eating it immediately. That's all you have to worry about. The reason your french recipes seem concerned is because cooling down a giant vat of hot fat could take many hours, longer than is safe. A vacuum-sealed bag with a small-ish amount of mass will chill fast.

The distinctive flavor of duck confit comes more from the curing process than anything. You might as well just cook the duck sous-vide without adding duck fat because the skin will render pretty fast and cover the meat in fat regardless.

Do you not have a tepid puddle?

EDIT: Also - concerning Ruhlman - he's of the opinion (like Myrhvold) that the confit cooking method does nothing to affect the duck's flavor, as fat can't permeate the meat (you might as well slow-roast or hell, even steam, followed by brushing with duck fat if you're so inclined). But sous-vide without any additional fat will be functionally identical so even if you feel that there's something to cooking in fat you'll be doing it.

The reason anybody originally cooked in duck fat is because the fat in the legs being cooked would leech out into the existing duck fat, allowing you to collect and re-use it (slow-cooking/preserving duck in any other fat would make an ugly amalgamation of rendered duck fat and the original fat). Thus, you could preserve the duck legs in fat, and then when you're ready re-use the old fat without ever really running out, as new legs cooked in the fat would leech into the old stuff. This would more than replenish any loss of fat clinging to the duck legs when they're pulled out.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 11, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Let's work under the assumption that I have half a gelding at my disposal to eat. Let's also work under the assumption that I have never cooked horse before. Anyone have any tips or recipes?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Casu Marzu posted:

Let's work under the assumption that I have half a gelding at my disposal to eat. Let's also work under the assumption that I have never cooked horse before. Anyone have any tips or recipes?
No idea. I will say that I've heard that horse fat fries are one of the most unique and cool culinary experiences out there so make sure you hold onto that fat and at least saute some potatoes in there. I'm very jealous.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Sashimi it. Or if it's not safe for that, I always hear it grills/kebabs well.

E: I'll see if I can grab a friend I know who has a casserole recipe with horse in it.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 11, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

The botulism stuff is annoying because it acts as if you have to go above and beyond normal precautions. Make sure meat comes up to a safe temp (above 140 degrees) within about an hour once you put it in the circulator, and ice chill meat after cooking it if you're not eating it immediately. That's all you have to worry about. The reason your french recipes seem concerned is because cooling down a giant vat of hot fat could take many hours, longer than is safe. A vacuum-sealed bag with a small-ish amount of mass will chill fast.

I mean, I instinctively agree with you. I've made confit this way for years, kept it for 4-6 months, and am not dead yet. But I don't deny the science of botulism spores, so that leaves me where I am. I need someone smarter than me to explain the science of it so I don't kill a dinner party of 20 or something.

quote:

But sous-vide without any additional fat will be functionally identical so even if you feel that there's something to cooking in fat you'll be doing it.

no, I don't think cooking with extra fat does anything magical. hope I didn't imply that in my post. I just like to have a bit of duck fat with my duck confit - so if I portion everything out, after I scrape off the excess, I can use it to make some wicked oven roasted potatoes - so adding a few tbsp to the bag before cooking would just help with that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Casu Marzu posted:

According to Larousse, it's perfect for tartare.