Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

buttopticor posted:

This came up in the Ouya thread, but not everyone reads that. There's apparently a kickstarter for an iDevice dock with controllers and TV-out called "gamedock".

A kickstarter for an iOS-related device that lets you play emulators, and it's not already overfunded ten times over? Truly these are the end times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

raditts posted:

A kickstarter for an iOS-related device that lets you play emulators, and it's not already overfunded ten times over? Truly these are the end times.
It made a few big blunders. The biggest being that it only supports 2 buttons. If it did 4 + 2 shoulders, so that it could actually play proper games, I think they'd be seeing a heck of a lot more support.

Instead, they've targeted it exclusively at the retro / emulator crowd. Alas.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I found three games that I thought looked pretty interesting.
First, is Crea, which is more or less Terraria, but it has a really good art style, and I think it could become something of its own thing.
Next is QONQR which reminds me of a combination of The Secret World and Parallel Kingdom, which is a pretty awesome combination. It's more or less a real-world map-based MMO for mobile systems and the PC.
Last is Project Locus, which is a cyber-punk RPG in the vein of Diablo with an emphasis on co-op. They're asking for a lot of money.

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 12, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Quest For Glory II posted:

No, I just think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. They're promising a year of the comic presented ad-free. That is a legitimate project by Kickstarter's definition. Something will be produced by it: comics, for one year. When they hit their stretch goals, new original content will be created as well, such as comics and podcasts.

Whether the comic would be made regardless of the Kickstarter is irrelevant. A lot of the people coming to Kickstarter have the money or resources to do their project on their own, but if people are willing to fund it, then there's no reason for them to do that. Kickstarter is not a handout service for poor people, it's just a funding platform for creatives. They have never been against big projects, or notable people.

I don't know why you even cited the "charity" or "fund my life" rules because this project is neither.

Man I don't even read PA and now I end up defending them. What in the gently caress
It's not irrelevant. The project is removing ads, not creating a product. There is no product being created at the first tier, and you have to hope people pay even more to actually get new content from PA.

Kickstarter is for projects that have tangible products as a reward for the crowdfunding. In this case, no, nothing new is being made and the comics are almost totally unaffected by this Kickstarter. On top of that, 250k only gets rid of ONE ad. They need a cool million for all the ads.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Azure_Horizon posted:

On top of that, 250k only gets rid of ONE ad. They need a cool million for all the ads.

For one year, at that. They've also explicitly said that they will be doing another Kickstarter in 2013 (and presumably every year after that, assuming it continues to succeed?).

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

For one year, at that. They've also explicitly said that they will be doing another Kickstarter in 2013 (and presumably every year after that, assuming it continues to succeed?).

With how their pledges have slowed I get the feeling that they may end up just scraping by the $250k goal. I guess people have realized what the kickstarter is actually for.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Kyrosiris posted:

This begs the question: Why not just do it through their site? A Kickstarter is for projects that bequeath products (maybe, maybe not, but that's the hope), not for website renovations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's not irrelevant. The project is removing ads, not creating a product. There is no product being created at the first tier, and you have to hope people pay even more to actually get new content from PA.

By that reasoning then it would be impossible for anyone to release a project that failed to get "Kickstarted" but went on to release anyways. The fact that they will continue to make the product but "fund" it in another way should the Kickstarter fail still means there is a product.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I guess people have realized what the kickstarter is actually for.

What is it actually for, besides producing PA for a year with no ads? I don't think they've said it's anything else.

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's not irrelevant. The project is removing ads, not creating a product.

It's paying for the product that the ad / ads would have otherwise paid for. It's still paying to create something.

Azure_Horizon posted:

This begs the question: Why not just do it through their site? A Kickstarter is for projects that bequeath products (maybe, maybe not, but that's the hope), not for website renovations.

What 'products' do the dance and theater categories produce? They're not doing it form their site because Kickstarter already has the infrastructure in place and it gives them publicity.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

nessin posted:

By that reasoning then it would be impossible for anyone to release a project that failed to get "Kickstarted" but went on to release anyways. The fact that they will continue to make the product but "fund" it in another way should the Kickstarter fail still means there is a product.

There's no "product" involved in PA's Kickstarter. It's replacing revenue streams, with the promise of actual product if they make it to 800k or whatever.

A Kickstarter gives you the promise of a product, it may or may not occur, but at least you know you're giving funding towards a product. With PA's Kickstarter, the product already exists, will continue to exist, and won't stop existing if you donate or not. With many Kickstarters, the product would have a much, much lower chance of existing without that support.

Had PA said, "well we're going to make this cool new poo poo AND the side effect is no ads if you give us money" it would seem less like website rehaul and more like something an actual Kickstarter does.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The product you are paying for is 'PA without ads.' That particular product does not exist without the Kickstarter. Why is this so hard to understand?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I found three games that I thought looked pretty interesting.
First, is Crea, which is more or less Terraria, but it has a really good art style, and I think it could become something of its own thing.
I wonder how this will pan out. With only 15k I hope they have some good deals on a musician and/or artist because for the game to have the kind of modding community they're hoping for, I think it'd have to be pretty special.

quote:

Next is QONQR which reminds me of a combination of The Secret World and Parallel Kingdom, which is a pretty awesome combination. It's more or less a real-world map-based MMO for mobile systems and the PC.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but massively multiplayer anything, mobile or no, with only a 25k goal sounds impossible.

quote:

Last is Project Locus, which is a cyber-punk RPG in the vein of Diablo with an emphasis on co-op. They're asking for a lot of money.
50k is not a lot of money to make a game of this scale, and it looks like their tiers are set reasonably. I'm not personally interested in that kind of game, but that's the only one of the three I'd really consider possible to end well.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

There's no "product" involved in PA's Kickstarter. It's replacing revenue streams, with the promise of actual product if they make it to 800k or whatever.

A Kickstarter gives you the promise of a product, it may or may not occur, but at least you know you're giving funding towards a product. With PA's Kickstarter, the product already exists, will continue to exist, and won't stop existing if you donate or not. With many Kickstarters, the product would have a much, much lower chance of existing without that support.

Had PA said, "well we're going to make this cool new poo poo AND the side effect is no ads if you give us money" it would seem less like website rehaul and more like something an actual Kickstarter does.

Those comics they're going to write/draw for the next year aren't publicly available, therefore they don't exist as far as it matters to a Kickstarter effort. Likely they don't even exist at all since PA writes around current news and memes. I don't get why you continue to insist they do... Furthermore I don't get why you insist on claiming Kickstarter is something that even they don't claim they are. There is nothing saying a Kickstarter project has to be on the ropes and likely to fail if it doesn't succeed, or that it even has to be in question at all.

Edit:
For that matter, as pointed out before, PA as a whole is a product in and of itself.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

nessin posted:

Those comics they're going to write/draw for the next year aren't publicly available, therefore they don't exist as far as it matters to a Kickstarter effort. Likely they don't even exist at all since PA writes around current news and memes. I don't get why you continue to insist they do... Furthermore I don't get why you insist on claiming Kickstarter is something that even they don't claim they are. There is nothing saying a Kickstarter project has to be on the ropes and likely to fail if it doesn't succeed, or that it even has to be in question at all.

The comics they draw for the next year happen regardless of the Kickstarter. If it was a Kickstarter that would allow them to draw more comics, then it would work. But as it stands, they have the money to do it anyway. The whole site will continue on anyway. It's revenue stream switching, which to me does not equate to a product. I don't see how the removal of ads from a popular website is equivalent to: Art, Comics, Dance, Design, Fashion, Film, Food, Games, Music, Photography, Publishing, Technology, and Theater.

The ads have little and less connection to the comics, which is the main reason why PA is a product.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Guys, guys guys, I think we're all missing a boat here:

Super. loving. Motherload!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's not just a pitch, it's a pretty amusing one too!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Looks like the Jetpack 2 kickstarter decided to relaunch due to budget concerns, the goal is now just $10k and all the physical rewards were removed: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adept/jetpack-2

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Am I crazy, or are they just not offering the game at all from the ks?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

SupSuper posted:

Looks like the Jetpack 2 kickstarter decided to relaunch due to budget concerns, the goal is now just $10k and all the physical rewards were removed: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adept/jetpack-2

The idiots behind the MULE remake have announced that they're doing much the same: with three days left, they've fallen over $400,000 short of their half a million dollar target.

Edit: Project Locus... nope, they're not offering the game at all. The kickstarter is to produce a 'vertical slice demo' that they'll hope to show off to producers. It's hidden near the bottom of the page, just before the vanity pics of the staff.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 12, 2012

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Yeah it doesnt seem that any of the project locus guys have worked in the industry and I guess one of them is still learning how to program at college.

Their website says there are more than 3 of them, but it doesn't say how many more or anything.
edit: Oh the video says there is ten of them.

Fund our tech demo it's legit we have an artist.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

AllanGordon posted:

Yeah it doesnt seem that any of the project locus guys have worked in the industry and I guess one of them is still learning how to program at college.

Their website says there are more than 3 of them, but it doesn't say how many more or anything.
edit: Oh the video says there is ten of them.

Fund our tech demo it's legit we have an artist.

Apparently 2 of the 10 are swordmasters. That will work to integrate combat in the game. One of the reward tiers is to get a lesson from the swordmasters. Really bizarre.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"How appropriate, you pitch like a cow."

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rime posted:

Guys, guys guys, I think we're all missing a boat here:

Super. loving. Motherload!

Like, it seems as if you're being sarcastic here, but I loved that game and this actually looks pretty loving awesome. Sign me right the hell up.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Last Class Heroes was successfully funded, including all stretch goals. They also grabbed an OUYA dev schtick to pile on, so we'll see how things go if that fiasco pulls through.

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

I played the hell out of Motherload as a kid, the game was simply brilliant. Motherload 2 Super Motherload is going to be great.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I love digging games -- I Dig It, Miner Dig Deep, and so on -- that's even how I played Terraria, as a digging game with occasional combat interruptions. Super Motherload looks like it might be leaning towards the dark-and-edgy, though, and I'm not really sure I want that...

Well, I've got a little while to decide.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

atholbrose posted:

I love digging games -- I Dig It, Miner Dig Deep, and so on -- that's even how I played Terraria, as a digging game with occasional combat interruptions. Super Motherload looks like it might be leaning towards the dark-and-edgy, though, and I'm not really sure I want that...

Well, I've got a little while to decide.

The original Motherload had you fight the devil who was secretly your boss in hell with dynamite so I don't know how edgy this one can be.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

XboxPants posted:

Like, it seems as if you're being sarcastic here, but I loved that game and this actually looks pretty loving awesome. Sign me right the hell up.

I'm not actually sarcastic. When I discovered Motherload the first time a few years back it kept me up and playing till 5am.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
Gabe posted an update on Penny Arcade's Kickstarter: http://penny-arcade.com/2012/07/11/updated-kickstarter

Gabe posted:

We have updated the Kickstarter FAQ with answers to a lot of the questions we’ve been getting. We’ve also revealed a couple of the stretch goal projects. Something that might not have been clear is that when we say no advertising that also means no PA Presents. I love working on comics for publishers but we spend a huge chunk of time every year on stuff that isn’t ours. Working on things like comics to promote games and pre-sell bonuses fill in all the cracks between our Mon, Wed, Fri strips. I’ve been honored to work with some of these properties but I’d love to devote that time to our own projects. I feel like we have all these cool worlds that we’re neglecting because we just don’t have the time. This KS would change all that.

On the KS page now you will see that we have plans for a new Lookouts story, one that explains what it’s like for girls in this world. We also put up a peek at an Automata project we’d love to do. The best part is that if the KS works all these new projects would go up alongside the regular strip rather than taking it over. This isn’t just about an ad free Penny Arcade, it is about more Penny Arcade.

Some people have asked if the KS ammount is really how much we make in advertising each year. Advertising revenue changes from year to year but the truth is that this figure is significantly less than we generally make. This KS is not about making money, it is about working directly for you guys and the freedom that will give us as artists.

Already the support for the idea has been overwhelming. Thank you to everyone who has chipped in. If you still have questions after looking at the updated FAQ please send them my way. Also we’d love to hear your ideas for rewards and stretch goals. This is a big experiment for us and we want to hear from you guys.
I don't imagine this will dissuade any frothing-at-the-mouth PA haters, but hopefully this clears things up for some of those who were confused and/or thought the PA guys were joking.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Al! posted:

The original Motherload had you fight the devil who was secretly your boss in hell with dynamite so I don't know how edgy this one can be.

Well all right then. Backed.

I also went ahead and backed Moon Intern, which I don't think anyone's mentioned here before. It's a 2D sidescrolling RPG where people have a reason to think they can give you all their crappy jobs... you are the intern for the entire moon, after all. There's something really appealing to me about the look and the ideas behind the game. This is one I hope works out.

edit: VVVVVVVVVVVVVV I even went back and looked through the thread. Argh. Ah, well, the sentiment stands.

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 12, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

atholbrose posted:

I also went ahead and backed Moon Intern, which I don't think anyone's mentioned here before.

Star Guarded posted:

Moon Intern

Watch the video - it's rather hard to explain. Kind of a randomly generated, serialized 2d action/sidescroller with base build elements. They're asking for 30k.

quote:

This is one I hope works out.
It's definitely a cool idea; I hope they can deliver a good fraction of what they're pitching.

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

Bad Planet is a game based on some comic about twelvelegged spideraliens killing humans and some other stuff. The pitch was a lot more about the comic than the actual game, so I don't really know what to think about it. They have a very high goal of $575k so I guess this will either crash and burn or be a huge success.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

atholbrose posted:

Well all right then. Backed.

I also went ahead and backed Moon Intern, which I don't think anyone's mentioned here before. It's a 2D sidescrolling RPG where people have a reason to think they can give you all their crappy jobs... you are the intern for the entire moon, after all. There's something really appealing to me about the look and the ideas behind the game. This is one I hope works out.

edit: VVVVVVVVVVVVVV I even went back and looked through the thread. Argh. Ah, well, the sentiment stands.
Did you get the game or the testing? I got the game, but it'll be so long to get the return, I'm tempted tot up my donation.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Did you get the game or the testing? I got the game, but it'll be so long to get the return, I'm tempted tot up my donation.

I actually went for "Become a Character". Figured what the hell.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

atholbrose posted:

I actually went for "Become a Character". Figured what the hell.

The game looks fantastic and its one of the first that I ever actually wanted to do this in. The only issue is deciding which type I want to be....

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
It's weird to me that the Defense Grid team didn't have enough capital laying around to backroll a new game. And, honestly, if it gets to the last day and they only have enough for an add-on to DG1 (bottom tier) I'll probably withdraw my pledge, because that honestly isn't worth $15 to me. But I imagine they'll coast by $1M pretty smoothly, and I'd love some DG2.

I hope they can link the map editor up with Steam Workshop.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Z. got funded. :toot:

With 40 hours to go, it remains to be seen if they'll add stretch goals...

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Arnold of Soissons posted:

It's weird to me that the Defense Grid team didn't have enough capital laying around to backroll a new game. And, honestly, if it gets to the last day and they only have enough for an add-on to DG1 (bottom tier) I'll probably withdraw my pledge, because that honestly isn't worth $15 to me. But I imagine they'll coast by $1M pretty smoothly, and I'd love some DG2.

I remember when DG1 came out, one of the dev is a goon and was maintaining the thread. He said the game didn't make that much money and they almost had to shut down, but that was before DG1 got included in indie packages, Steam sales, etc. so I don't know about their situation now.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I hope they can link the map editor up with Steam Workshop.

They're a studio with 32 employees. Not that surprising they don't have tons of money laying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Antitonic posted:

Z. got funded. :toot:

With 40 hours to go, it remains to be seen if they'll add stretch goals...

I donated 100 bucks. I am so happy it is going to work. I honestly don't want any stretch goals. I really wish they would add physical items to the $100 all digital bundle.

Digital has no cost to them. They should give us physical cards to spread the desire to local gameplay opportunities. I feel it's kinda selfish and a missed marketing opportunity not to give cards to everyone.