Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

penismightier posted:

Didn't Kubrick prefer those two get projected 1.66:1?

I recall the spec sheet in the big coffee table book indicated 1.75:1 for The Killing and 1.85:1 for Paths of Glory. That's consistent with contemporary data for both films. Not a big deal since they were shot with an unmatted negative mostly safe for anything between 1.66:1 and 1.85:1.

Criterion generally does their research well, even if invoking the wrath of Jeffrey Wells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What's the general opinion on these?

Good Morning
The Lady Vanishes
Night Train to Munich
The Killing
Le cercle rouge
Blow Out
Army of Shadows

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
^^^^ Definitely on The Lady Vanishes, and I'm partial to Blow Out

Ended up with

Throne of Blood
Wild Strawberries
Topsy Turvey
Harold & Maude
Last Year At Marienbad
Stagecoach (for my dad's birthday, but I'm probably stealing it)
Days of Heaven

I also lucked into an absolutely pristine copy of Black Narcissus for $2 at a big Italian church festival flea market in Brooklyn tonight, and I've long since fulfilled the cost of my B&N membership, so it's pretty good all-around with that 60% off.

I'm considering World On A Wire, Bigger Than Life, and Three Colors before the sale stops; if I did Fanny & Alexander, would I be alright with the smaller theatrical release they have, or should I spring for the bigger set?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Lady Vanishes - If I had to pick one film from his work in England, it's the best and most entertaining. The plot twists get me every time, even after seeing several times.

The Killing - Kubrick does a film noir with Sterling Hayden, Elisha Cook, and Timothy Carey. What else is there to convince about?

Le Cercle Rouge - French film noir. Endlessly cool, involving, and slick.

Army of Shadows - Melville's masterpiece. Absolutely worth seeing.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Edit. ^^ What he said.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Lady Vanishes and Army of Shadows are essential titles. Incredible films, near-perfect editions.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I'm considering World On A Wire, Bigger Than Life, and Three Colors before the sale stops; if I did Fanny & Alexander, would I be alright with the smaller theatrical release they have, or should I spring for the bigger set?

Spring for the bigger set. The television cut is superior in every way and completely worth the extra time and money investment.

I (as always) have bought way more than I planned to. Already. At least I have the overlapping sale excuse this time. Thusfar:

12 Angry Men
The 39 Steps
Czech Pearls (Eclipse)
David Lean directs Noel Coward
The Gold Rush
Letter Never Sent
Samurai Trilogy
Shallow Grave
Summer Interlude
Summer with Monika
World on a Wire

I'm still going to grab a few things, probably Three Outlaw Samurai, Harold & Maude, and a random title or two. It's the most wonderful time of the year, part one.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Egbert Souse posted:

I recall the spec sheet in the big coffee table book indicated 1.75:1 for The Killing and 1.85:1 for Paths of Glory. That's consistent with contemporary data for both films. Not a big deal since they were shot with an unmatted negative mostly safe for anything between 1.66:1 and 1.85:1.

Criterion generally does their research well, even if invoking the wrath of Jeffrey Wells.

Aha! Knew I'd seen that somewhere:

"Hi Rob Thanks for reading and posting! You're totally correct that Kubrick aspect ratios are a consistently controversial subject, but we're confident about the 1.66:1 aspect ratio for a couple of reasons (and that doesn't include the fact that when you see the movie in this format, everything -- from the presentation of the opening credits to the internal balance of the compositions -- appears perfect). First, Bob Gitt of the UCLA Film & Television Archive, whose stellar restoration provides the basis for our master, was totally positive that 1.66:1 was the film's projected ratio in theaters. As you probably know, our policy is to try to adhere as closely to original theatrical presentation as possible. Second, Leon Vitali (Stanley Kubrick's longtime technical assistant and BARRY LYNDON's Lord Bullingdon) supervised the video mastering and he too insisted on 1.66:1. Who's to argue when Lord Bullingdon himself requests satisfaction? OK, Kubrick in-joke aside, I want to assure you that we didn't undertake the pictoral presentation of one of cinema's greatest visionaries lightly, and we made absolutely sure that our release would do justice to the masterpiece and preserve the work's original theatrical format."

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1544-at-work-with-curtis-tsui-on-paths-of-glory

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

penismightier posted:

As you probably know, our policy is to try to adhere as closely to original theatrical presentation as possible.

Ugh, tell that to loving Vittorio Storaro. And tell him to stop loving around with Univisium; no one's going to adopt his stupid format.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Just got an email for an internet coupon. gently caress you, Barnes and Noble. I don't want to spend more...

Edit: Nevermind. It's only $3.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 12, 2012

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Are all Criterion's releases on Hulu? I can't seem to find Salo on there, for example. Also do they still put in commercial breaks when you have hulu plus?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
What's the consensus on the BBS set? I'm thinking about picking that up, but I'm only kind of familiar with Easy Rider and The Last Picture Show. Are the rest of the movies worth the price tag?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

foodfight posted:

Are all Criterion's releases on Hulu? I can't seem to find Salo on there, for example. Also do they still put in commercial breaks when you have hulu plus?

Not all unfortunately. Criterions don't have commercials, but other stuff like TV shows still have commercials.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

barkingclam posted:

What's the consensus on the BBS set? I'm thinking about picking that up, but I'm only kind of familiar with Easy Rider and The Last Picture Show. Are the rest of the movies worth the price tag?

It's very much worth it. Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, King of Marvin Gardens and Last Picture Show have and will never(for now anyway) look better. The features are great as is the documentary on the company and the people behind it. Drive He Said and A Safe Place aren't very interesting (or worth watching) but the set as a whole is worth much more than the sixty its at right now.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

barkingclam posted:

It's a fantastic buy. Everything but A Safe Place is good to amazing, and even that's worth slogging through once just for some great bits of Orson Welles. Head remains my favorite of the set.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

barkingclam posted:

I would call Head every bit as culturally significant as A Hard Day's Night, if not for the fact that it's just so goddamn weird. I love it, though. Might try to pick that set up before this sale ends.

KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!
In the end I picked up

The Samurai Trilogy
The Seventh Seal
Rushmore
Godzilla
Modern Times
The Great Dictator
The Gold Rush
The Phantom Carriage

and I want to go back for more dammit =)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I went back for Alambrista on blu ray and I'm done for now. I might go back near the end of the month and pick from what's left. Maybe grab Hunger or Science is Fiction if it's still there.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
If anyone wants to divvy the BBS set up, I'd be interested in buying Five Easy Pieces as a stand alone. (Unless it doesn't have its own case, but I remember them having individual slipcovers.)

robix smash fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 13, 2012

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK
Where's the love for Anatomy of a Murder? One of the best films ever made. Picked that up along with A Hollis Frampton Odyssey, 12 Angry Men and Topsy-Turvy. Stupidly ordered the Samurai Trilogy and Three Outlaw Samurai a few weeks ago, forgetting about the upcoming sale.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Anatomy of a Murder is awesome but I never see people talking about this, either. I just love it so much. How can you say no to Timothy Spall singing A More Humane Mikado?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
So far I've just picked up Modern Times, it's the one Criterion on blu-ray that I felt most wrong for not owning. I'll probably pick up at least three or four more, though.

edit: vvvv haha poo poo :downs:

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 13, 2012

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

So far I've just picked up Modern Lights, it's the one Criterion on blu-ray that I felt most wrong for not owning.

Is this some crazy Chaplin mashup that I don't know about?
I'm intrigued to say the least.

If you're meaning what I think you mean - you can now sleep better with that on your shelf.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Ugh post isn't edit. Yeah I meant Modern Times. I'm thinking of getting Solaris and The Rules of the Game, and weeding out a bunch of other possibilities.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Egbert Souse posted:

Just a reminder, Blu editions of Mr. Hulot's Holiday and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp will probably be out before the end of the year.
Well, perhaps not in regards to the former.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Goddamnit. Guess I'd better buy Mon Oncle now before it goes out of print.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Criminal Minded posted:

I'm thinking of getting Solaris

Solaris is fantastic. You'll still be thinking about it a week after you watch it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've decided not to spend much money this time, so I had to pick only one. I went with Days of Heaven. I haven't seen it but I've adored the two Malick films I've seen (Badlands and The Tree of Life).

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

caiman posted:

I've decided not to spend much money this time, so I had to pick only one. I went with Days of Heaven. I haven't seen it but I've adored the two Malick films I've seen (Badlands and The Tree of Life).
You will not be disappointed. Not only is it a great movie and a great transfer, but it features a lot of gorgeous scenery that are both bright and dark, so it works as a great film to test out a new television.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 13, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow received the 3 I ordered Tuesday night already. I went with the cheapest shipping but it still came in a few days--awesome!

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Well I grabbed An Anatomy of a Murder, Godzilla, 12 Angry Men, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Great Dictator, Gold Rush, and Yojimbo/Sanjuro.

God drat it, they got me to blow well over a hundred dollars.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

That's the worst news I've heard in a while. Lionsgate renewed the license with StudioCanal for US releases, so I'm guessing we'll never see the Tati films on Blu until the license expires again. If Lionsgate isn't even interested in putting out Peeping Tom, I can't imagine them being motivated to release Mon Oncle.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Grabbed World on a Wire and Gray's Anatomy - both blind buys, but for $15 a DVD I can't really resist.

Also picked up La Jetee/Sans Soleil on Blu Ray, but I've already seen it. I loving love that movie. Should be gorgeous in HD.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Man, the Topsy Turvy Blu-ray menu is impossibly boring. The transfer is also kind of subpar. And my yacht isn't the right shade of off-white.

How long's this sale? I want to grab 3 Women but I have to wait for payday.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

How long's this sale? I want to grab 3 Women but I have to wait for payday.

Last day's July 30th, so you've got time.

And yes, get 3 Women.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The haul so far: High and Low, The War Room, The Samurai Trilogy, Three Outlaw Samurai, and Letter Never Sent. My Criterion trigger finger is sated for now, but The Human Condition still calls to me. High and Low was purchased on the strength of the hype from this thread, so if you were an outspoken Kurosawa fan here, take a bow!

The Barnes & Noble clerk was very nice, but she had to admit a small hole in her upsell. She said if I liked Criterions so much, I might be interested in pre-ordering their bluray of Quadrophenia when it comes out this fall -- for the sale price, no less! And I could totally refund it if I don't like the product.

I asked her, "You mean the unopened package, right?" and she copped to it. I can't tell if being a Criterion hound means people should expect me to be more or less willing to blind-buy movies. I love The Who's Tommy album, but haven't heard Quadrophenia yet, much less cared to view anything with/about it.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Space Fish posted:

I love The Who's Tommy album, but haven't heard Quadrophenia yet,
I recommend you remedy this.

edit: Although the movie isn't a musical like Tommy, so hypothetically you could hate the album and still like the movie

Mustach fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 16, 2012

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Any predictions for today's reveals?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Quadrophenia is the best Who album and the best Who movie.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

kaujot posted:

Any predictions for today's reveals?

Rosemary's Baby is probably one since it will be October. Then again Criterion doesn't often release their horror movies to coincide with Halloween (I can remember they did with House though).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

So I'm only vaguely familiar with Criterion's release methods: Does Eraserhead being on their Hulu channel mean anything in regards to a physical release, or should I not get my hopes up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

TrixRabbi posted:

So I'm only vaguely familiar with Criterion's release methods: Does Eraserhead being on their Hulu channel mean anything in regards to a physical release, or should I not get my hopes up?

Quadrophenia was originally released on their Hulu channel. They won't sit on something like Eraserhead.