Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
FYI: Airaves are back ordered. Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I just dropped TEP from two of our lines, saving $19/month in the process. I fully expect a freak accident to happen to my phone tomorrow.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

brc64 posted:

I just dropped TEP from two of our lines, saving $19/month in the process. I fully expect a freak accident to happen to my phone tomorrow.

When did TEP jump up to $9.50 a line?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

bigpolar posted:

When did TEP jump up to $9.50 a line?

It jumped to $11 for the Galaxy Nexus (and I think all other LTE phones). $8 for my Evo 3D.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

It jumped to $11 for the Galaxy Nexus (and I think all other LTE phones). $8 for my Evo 3D.

The Viper is still at $8 a month good sir.

So there you have it everyone, you can have TEP and a dual processor phone. Just get the LG Viper, there can't be anything wrong with now, right?

(yes the Viper return rate is already terrible and it's a terrible phone. gently caress LG).

Edit Btw, the epic touch is getting ICS July.12.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 12, 2012

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Evo 4G LTE got an OTA update that fixes Google Wallet, wifi drops, and some other bugs. The biggest thing for me is the radio firmware update. I went from 75kbps on 3g at my office to 350kbps average on downloads. It's actually usable now.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Looks like they flipped the switch early for LTE in Kansas

If anyone tries it I'm curious as to your experiences with it. I'm in Dallas so I'll see it soon enough myself, but I'm an excited and impatient nerd.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Hoppy posted:

I'm sick of my Evo3D, even with running MeanROM ICS on it. Is Sprint still giving people the option to "buy out" their contract to get their upgrade pricing? I really want a Galaxy Nexus.

I haven't been able to get back to HBOOT 1.4 since my refurb, but changing carriers means both my wife and I have to change and that's just double-everything charge and guh. Can't wait to blow this pop stand. Hopefully there'll be a new Nexus out before June?

Encor3
Jun 29, 2005

Konnichiwa Bitches
GSII Epic 4G Touch Android 4.0 OTA rollout officially starts today. Sprint statement with changelog.

Looking forward to having the Chrome browser!

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

DanAdamKOF posted:

If anyone tries it I'm curious as to your experiences with it. I'm in Dallas so I'll see it soon enough myself, but I'm an excited and impatient nerd.

You should already be seeing faster 3G speeds near upgraded towers. It can be a bit frustrating at times... On one block I'll get 1.2Mbps download even during peak hours, further down the road you are lucky to get 50Kbps during peak hours... But I have noticed the good areas slowly expanding.

Of course on LTE people are seeing 7-15Mbps download which is fantastic. I'll definitely be grabbing the next iPhone with LTE.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ender.uNF posted:

You should already be seeing faster 3G speeds near upgraded towers. It can be a bit frustrating at times... On one block I'll get 1.2Mbps download even during peak hours, further down the road you are lucky to get 50Kbps during peak hours... But I have noticed the good areas slowly expanding.

Of course on LTE people are seeing 7-15Mbps download which is fantastic. I'll definitely be grabbing the next iPhone with LTE.

Hey, do you know how the new phones work on call and data at the same time? I noticed the other day I was still getting emails whole talking on my GS3,and sure enough everywhere I try it out can use call and data simultaneously. Is this more a phone thing, network vision thing or both?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Ender.uNF posted:

You should already be seeing faster 3G speeds near upgraded towers. It can be a bit frustrating at times... On one block I'll get 1.2Mbps download even during peak hours, further down the road you are lucky to get 50Kbps during peak hours...

I'm experiencing this in the Chicago area right now and it really sucks. Streaming music in the car is impossible because you're handing off from 1.5mbps towers to dial-up speed towers.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://omgdroid.com/att-and-sprint-disabling-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-universal-search-with-ota-updates/

Both Sprint and AT&T are pushing OTAs to disable universal search on the SGS III thanks to Apple.

Its weird though because it didn't even apply to the SGS III, just the Galaxy Nexus and I think one Samsung's tablets.

Hopefully they don't start doing this to other phones...or ask Google to throw it in the OTA updates to the Nexus devices.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey, do you know how the new phones work on call and data at the same time? I noticed the other day I was still getting emails whole talking on my GS3,and sure enough everywhere I try it out can use call and data simultaneously. Is this more a phone thing, network vision thing or both?

It's the phone. The SGS3 and the EVO LTE (and maybe the GNex?) can all do it. I thought I heard that those phones have separate 1x and EVDO radios so they can both work at the same time, but I could be pulling that out of my rear end. I'm sure ExcessBlarg will come post all about it soon.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So my wife's Evo 4G's charging port is nearly completely toast...and this about a month after I took off TEP.

How much of a pain in the dick is it going to be to get this fixed? She's not up for an upgrade until 9/1 and I want to try and wait until the next iPhone comes out since I think she'll be ditching Android for iOS. Even if she doesn't get the iPhone5, it'll make a 4GS cheaper.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I thought I heard that those phones have separate 1x and EVDO radios so they can both work at the same time, but I could be pulling that out of my rear end.
That's pretty much it. It's called SVDO.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

IOwnCalculus posted:

So my wife's Evo 4G's charging port is nearly completely toast...and this about a month after I took off TEP.

How much of a pain in the dick is it going to be to get this fixed? She's not up for an upgrade until 9/1 and I want to try and wait until the next iPhone comes out since I think she'll be ditching Android for iOS. Even if she doesn't get the iPhone5, it'll make a 4GS cheaper.

I think repairs like that are only $35 even without TEP, but for not much more money you could just buy out the rest of her contract and buy the iPhone.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I think repairs like that are only $35 even without TEP, but for not much more money you could just buy out the rest of her contract and buy the iPhone.

I could be full of poo poo, but I'm pretty sure Duckman has said in the past that broken charging ports are considered neglectful physical damage and cost more.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

The evo charger is a known issue, so there is no fee as long as it is still attached to the board. Have her take it in ASAP.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Already covered but phones that support SVDO are basically two cell phones in one as they keep both the voice and data channels open at the same time with two separate modems IIRC. Very few phones will ever ship with this so don't get used to it, it eats battery like a monster.

However LTE is another story. LTE Voice is basically VoIP so there is no difference between the channels and unlike Verizon, Sprint is deploying it directly so anywhere you have 4G you can talk and download at the same time. Expect all LTE devices to support this.

Airvana arrived. It was really annoying to find the tech details about what ports it needs, etc because they want you to put it between your router and modem. However I have FIOS and use a m0n0wall box setup with 16X PCI-E NICs for 1Gbps speeds (FIOS offers 300Mbps here currently) and I have my own static netblock assignment so there was no way in hell I was gonna inject that thing into my network. Long story short I got it sorted out. Thankfully the GPS antenna wire is long. After about 30 minutes it finally gave me the three green lights and so far seems to be working. Getting 4-5 bars inside the house and text messages are being received fine. We shall see if my outgoing texts spam everyone 10-20 times as that seems to be the Airvana issue-de-jure.

Edit: last I heard VZW's LTE was data only so in theory you can be in an area with great voice or great data but not have the other, plus voice keeps the CDMA 1X radio powered up so talking and surfing at the same time will eat more battery.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?
So I tried the contract buyout today...

Called customer service, asked for account services. The person kept asking what my issue was, so I told them I wanted to buy out, and explained what I had heard/read. She told me that customer service is account services, but she wasn't able to do it. I was told to go to a corporate store to inquire about the Upgrade NOW promotion, which sounded like what I wanted. I asked if this would allow me to pay a fee to make myself upgrade eligible, and she said yes. I also asked if it would require me to buy at that store (I'm eyeing up a deal Amazon has right now), and she said no. I was also told it would not involved a trade in or surrender of my device.

I went to one store to ask about it, and was told they did know about Upgrade NOW, but it was the following:
- You have to trade in your phone. I know I can get more than the $75 they offered for it by going through ebay, Craigslist, or Swappa.
- You have to buy a phone from them.
- Only the Evo4gLTE, Galaxy S3, or iPhone 4s are eligible to be bought with this plan. I want a Galaxy Nexus.

So I left there. I called another corp store (a bit farther, so I didn't just go there). The guy there had no clue what Upgrade NOW was, and he kept telling me that when I said buying out my contract, I must be thinking of paying full retail as the "buyout fee".

I'm probably going to call customer service again, and insist upon account services, even if customer service tells me they can "service my account".

Anyone have any ideas how to best handle this?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Hoppy posted:

Called customer service, asked for account services. The person kept asking what my issue was, so I told them I wanted to buy out, and explained what I had heard/read. She told me that customer service is account services, but she wasn't able to do it. I was told to go to a corporate store to inquire about the Upgrade NOW promotion, which sounded like what I wanted. I asked if this would allow me to pay a fee to make myself upgrade eligible, and she said yes. I also asked if it would require me to buy at that store (I'm eyeing up a deal Amazon has right now), and she said no. I was also told it would not involved a trade in or surrender of my device.

I went to one store to ask about it, and was told they did know about Upgrade NOW, but it was the following:
- You have to trade in your phone. I know I can get more than the $75 they offered for it by going through ebay, Craigslist, or Swappa.
- Only the Evo4gLTE, Galaxy S3, or iPhone 4s are eligible to be bought with this plan. I want a Galaxy Nexus.

So I left there. I called another corp store (a bit farther, so I didn't just go there). The guy there had no clue what Upgrade NOW was, and he kept telling me that when I said buying out my contract, I must be thinking of paying full retail as the "buyout fee".

I'm probably going to call customer service again, and insist upon account services, even if customer service tells me they can "service my account".

I was told that on a contract buy out that you end that line/contract and have to start a whole new line/contract.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hoppy posted:

I think "Upgrade Now" is a promotion they had going for a while that, as you were told, was available through corporate stores. The main difference was that you'd pay $55 and no upgrade fee, versus the remaining ETF (likely $50, having to pay an upgrade fee later if you upgrade in store). But yeah, it probably suffers the triple whammy of (i) not actually being available anymore, maybe, (ii) nobody knowing about it, and (iii) not useful in your particular circumstances.

The other problem I think was discussed here earlier is that customer service reps are now discouraged from punting to account services right away because they were doing that "too often", related is the lack of a direct number to retentions.

I mean, there's a couple of approaches, I'm not sure what's best. You can call back, politely explain what you want to do, and see if they'll hook you up with the right department. If you get anymore upgrade now bullshit, tell them that it's not eligible for the kind of upgrade you want, and you just want to buy out the remainder of your contract.

The second approach is you can say you want to cancel your contract, and when they ask why, say you want the Galaxy Nexus now and you're going to Verizon to get it, unless you can buy out the remainder of your contract and get it at subsidized upgrade price. If you keep insisting on wanting to cancel, eventually they'll forward you to the department that can actually help you.

Duckman may have better suggestions. Although honestly, *2 is a game of roulette where people either figure things out right away, or they jerk you around a bit and you're forced to call back. A buddy of mine had to do it thrice before he ended up at the right place.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

The evo charger is a known issue, so there is no fee as long as it is still attached to the board. Have her take it in ASAP.

Going in tomorrow, thanks!

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Hoppy posted:

I did this exact thing right when the GNex launched, but had none of the run around you got.

I called them and said "I want to buy out my contract to reset my upgrade eligibility." I used the number that was in the OP. They charged me for the buyout, reset my upgrade, and then the next day I bought the GNex on Sprint's website. Then I sold my EVO 3D on craigslist.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jensen posted:

I did this exact thing right when the GNex launched, but had none of the run around you got.
Was that the SERO/EPRP number? Cause that's what I called (as I have one of those accounts) and they were equally as efficient about it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hey, I can add to this.

There are two different retentions departments as I can figure out. The number in the OP is out of date and will not work (I really need to update this). Another guy here posted a number he found from the consumerist. I don't have it on me, but that number seems to be higher up customer service, although I don't think its cancelations.

Really easy to get to cancelations though. Dial *2 hit 0 three times to get to regular care. Then just tell the first person you talk you "I want to cancel, switch me to cancelations. I have had them switch me the last two times I tried this. They can do buy ups there. I also have had success getting them to waive upgrade fees, although it apparently is generated o. The account whether you qualify for that or not, if the last person I talked to is to be believed.

So yeah, get to that department and they should be able to fix it. Unfortunately there is a huge gap in phone and store service, and neither seems to ever know what the other can or cannot do. Which drives me crazy.

FYI the nexus is certainly not selling well, so look around and it is probably on sale somewhere. I think the price may drop again soon, although I have to check.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

DanAdamKOF posted:

My boss has been able to get an LTE connection on one of the towers near his house since he picked up the Evo 4G LTE at launch. IIRC he was averaging ~10-12Mbit down and a couple up, and the peak DL speed he's seen was 25.

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI the nexus is certainly not selling well, so look around and it is probably on sale somewhere. I think the price may drop again soon, although I have to check.

I was actually just checking prices on the GNex/4GLTE/SGS3 this morning and noticed that Best Buy has the GNex for $150 for new/upgrading customers.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

I'm getting an LTE connection on my Galaxy Nexus in my office North of Houston. I guess they flipped the switch early?

edit: as I typed this my connection reverted back to 3G.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chizad posted:

My boss has been able to get an LTE connection on one of the towers near his house since he picked up the Evo 4G LTE at launch. IIRC he was averaging ~10-12Mbit down and a couple up, and the peak DL speed he's seen was 25.

I was actually just checking prices on the GNex/4GLTE/SGS3 this morning and noticed that Best Buy has the GNex for $150 for new/upgrading customers.

Best Buys default price is to match spring with an instant rebate, which is what that is. I believe the GNex may go down soon to $149 with $50 back in sprint stores, so fingers crossed on that.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My wife text me like 7 times today and I didn't get them until a hour later (all together at the same time). During this time she could get my texts. I know no big deal this happens sometimes. Well she got a call from a number that wasn't on her contact list and it was a guy that said he got all my text messages too. He was on Sprint too but his number only had the same first number as mine. His wife was upset at why someone was texting him that they was missing him and couldn't wait to see him after work. I would blame her phone (or Go SMS) if it was a number in her contact list, but this was a person that she didn't know. WTF Sprint?

Just to be clear he was only getting my texts for hour I wasn't get them.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

chizad posted:

Amazon has it for $100

edit: on my 4th call to customer service, I finally got someone to send me to account services, and they could do the early upgrade. They knew which one I was talking about!.. but their systems were not letting them pull up accounts currently, and I have to call back in an hour or two.

They couldn't give me a direct line to them, and I have to call customer service and get transferred again.

So close...

Hoppy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 13, 2012

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Maybe a NYC goon can help answer my questions.

My girlfriend and I have never had a smartphone. We've always used crappy phones, prepaid NET10 phones most recently. We want to sign a contract with some carrier and get two Samsung Galaxy S3s, but we're not really sure what carrier for our needs. We're also not sure how much data we'd be using per month, if 2 or 4 GB is enough, etc., since we've always had a capless Cable Internet connection, and most recently, very fast Fios.

It's between Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile, since they are the only ones that carry the Samsung S3s. I'm leaning towards Sprint for the relatively inexpensive shared unlimited data plan, with 1500 minutes, split 3-4 ways (my brother may go on it as well, and maybe my grandma, but without a smartphone for her). Is this enough minutes, generally, considering that cell to cell minutes are free no matter the carrier, and free nights and weekends? 375 minutes each?

How's the Sprint 3G network in NYC? I've heard that the call quality is good, but the 3G service is not that great compared to the other carriers. I do not do a lot of traveling yet, so it would mostly be service in NYC, and maybe upstate from time to time.

My brother has a Samsung Galaxy S1, but has had it on Simple Mobile for about a year or so. The Internet is very, very, slow, to the point where it's pretty much unusable, a lot like 56K. Is it safe to assume that the Internet speed is much faster on Sprint? I know it won't be like my 25/25 mbps Fios home connection, but I want something that is pretty usable. Is it at least broadband speed?

Finally, the all-included monthly bill for four people should be something like $180-$195, which is about $50 per person, though one person will not have a smartphone. Is this a good price? Is there a way to get a better price?

small butter fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 13, 2012

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

I managed to get a speedtest done while my LTE was working. Not too shabby.

As you can see from the screenshot, shortly after I ran the test it reverted back to 3G.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I own 3 sprint lines in a family account, though I no longer take service there. My wife is going to leave sprint too, and that leaves my parents. If I do a TOL to one of them on those two remaining lines, does that reset my employer discount? I know they wouldn't be elegible for it, but it would be neat if they could keep on going with it on their two line account. Also, does switching the owner trigger a credit check? Their credit is garbage.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
My Evo 4g is appearing to have some known issues, although they're semi-manageable. First it's been randomly restarting itself, used to happen like once every other month, then once a month, but now it's like every day almost. It'll do it while it's idle too, used to just be if I was doing a lot with it at once, like using navigation and doing something else while on Wimax. I only noticed it recently because wireless kept turning on while Tasker had it set to off and I started catching it restarting by leaving it face up while at work.

The other issue is that if I have the in call volume up higher than say 50~60% it gets distorted and buzzy. Along with that the front-facing camera is now misaligned and just off center, like something came unglued in the top part of the phone (apparently this is the part of this based on various forum posts I read, sorta odd though). Most of the time this isn't a problem but my mom and a few friends talk sorta quietly and often mumble, so I usually have to turn it up for them. This could be "fixed" by using a headset I guess.

I've had the phone since Jan. 2011, up for an upgrade on November 1st according to their site, which is 22 months not 20 like in the OP, maybe I needed to get it later for that to apply? I have TEP on the phone, but the store I took it to (after unrooting it) ran a diagnostic and said it seemed fine, and the guy offered to fix the speaker, but he seemed a little off (couldn't find the dialer on my homescreen, it's in the lower left and shaped like a phone like on most phones :v: Also his advice for these hardware issues was try updating the firmware). The Service Center gave me a run around too, but they were super busy and I didn't feel like dropping it off for a few days for them to poke at it since it's my only phone. Going to try going to a different one this weekend, but I don't expect good results at this rate.

Should I just go through that site, phoneclaim.com, or is that more for like phones that aren't turning on and have a spear through them? Was thinking about trying out craigslist too, but at the moment it doesn't look promising in my area.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

SpelledBackwards posted:

AndroidPolice is reporting an Evo LTE update today to fix several known issues
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...f-other-things/

Changelog:

I've definitely been seeing Wifi disconnect and time zone issues. Not sure if I've run into some of the others. Hopefully a rooted version shows up on xda soon.

This did not fix Google Wallet for me.

edit: Apparently it didn't apply the update the first time so now I'm staring at a bootloader screen and at the top it says
TAMPERED
SECURITY WARNING

I had rooted my phone but I unrooted it so what is this I don't even....

:psyduck:

edit: Oh I see, the RUU didn't go through when I unrooted it. Strange. Fixed now! Wooo.

SyRauk fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 13, 2012

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Finally got my upgrade bought out. Only sprint.com is recognizing it now, so I guess I have to wait a bit. Can't wait to get my $100 GNex.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Turnquiet posted:

I own 3 sprint lines in a family account, though I no longer take service there. My wife is going to leave sprint too, and that leaves my parents. If I do a TOL to one of them on those two remaining lines, does that reset my employer discount? I know they wouldn't be elegible for it, but it would be neat if they could keep on going with it on their two line account. Also, does switching the owner trigger a credit check? Their credit is garbage.

Yes switching the ownership of a phone number requires a credit check if the receiving party does not have an account with Sprint already under their own ssn. No they cannot keep your discount t if you change ownership over since it's account specific not line specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix
4g is up and running in Houston:

http://imgur.com/9PQjP