Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I liked the fact that Robbie sort of resembled Norman if only because I like to believe it's a little nod to the whole "Zombies are often mistaken for teenagers" thing from the first episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
The best thing about episode 5 was Stan watching and getting insanely invested in The Duchess Agrees over the course of the episode.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does iTunes have a season pass for this show yet or is it too early?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

ProfessorProf posted:

The best thing about episode 5 was Stan watching and getting insanely invested in The Duchess Agrees over the course of the episode.

You had your chance at the cotillion, you!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ProfessorProf posted:

Stay tuned for the Friday Night Movie, The Duchess Approves; starring Sturly Stembleburgiss as "The Duchess", and Grampton St. Rumpterfrabble as irascible cock swain "Saunterblugget Hampterfuppinshire".

I seriously had to pause and rewind that scene like five times because I couldn't breathe from all the laughing.

Also, I hope someone buys an av gif of the two cast screens switching repeatedly with the above text as the av text, because that'd be a great av.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Occupation posted:

Also, I hope someone buys an av gif of the two cast screens switching repeatedly with the above text as the av text, because that'd be a great av.

If there's a gif wizard out there who can do it, I would love them forever.

http://i.imgur.com/ZD6Hd.png
http://i.imgur.com/U75RS.png

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Zeeman posted:

You had your chance at the cotillion, you!

That's what I'm sayin'!

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Comrade Question posted:

That's what I'm sayin'!

Yes! Take that Elizabeth! It's just like my life... in a way.

Insanely good ep

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Spoiler alert: Ep 6 is really good

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
The newest episode fell flat for me honestly, although it wasn't written by Hirsch or Rianda so whatever I'll just blame it on that.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Sockser posted:

Spoiler alert: Ep 6 is really good

I hate avoiding this thread for a week. Can't we make a thread that prevents spoilers because of how ahead people can be?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Hockles posted:

I hate avoiding this thread for a week. Can't we make a thread that prevents spoilers because of how ahead people can be?

Well, people in this thread are good about using spoiler tags, so I think you'll be fine.

As for episode 6, I don't think it was quite as good as the last 5 episodes. To me, what really gives Gravity Falls its charm and its soul is the mystery and the incredibly authentic sibling interactions between Dipper and Mabel, and episode 6 had little of either.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hockles posted:

This is a children's cartoon show, dude, not Game of Thrones.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Occupation posted:

This is a children's cartoon show, dude, not Game of Thrones.

I know, but it is still annoying to avoid spoiler tags all week just so I can laugh at jokes and not know they are coming.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

As for episode 6, I don't think it was quite as good as the last 5 episodes. To me, what really gives Gravity Falls its charm and its soul is the mystery and the incredibly authentic sibling interactions between Dipper and Mabel, and episode 6 had little of either.

I agree, but it was still fine. Episode 5 is still my favorite :allears:.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

After hearing my nerdy internet friends rave about this show for the past couple weeks and seeing a gif of a gnome continuously vomiting a rainbow I decided to check it out. Just finished marathoning all six episodes and I already want more.

This show is really something special, and I think it must be because of how genuine and lovable the characters seem. It evokes a really nostalgic feeling, like even if you stripped away all the Weird poo poo, I could just watch Dipper and Mabel messing around in everyday life and still be entertained just because they remind me so much of kid me and my kid friends and our shenangians. :3:

That's a strong foundation for any show, then you throw in characters like Grunkle Stan, Soos, Wendy, the townsfolk, even the monsters - they're all great, and the way they interact with each other is even better. Now put all these charming folks in a setting of paranormal danger and intrigue, with top-notch humor that appeals to tons of people instead of just dumb kids or neckbeards, an adorable art style, fluid animation, rich scenery, catchy theme and background music, and all kinds of subtle little hints and secrets... it's just a recipe for brilliance.

A few episodes in and this is already one of my favorite cartoons ever. You can tell that underneath all the gags and cuteness there's some messed up stuff going on and they're headed places with this show, big time. Good on Disney for actually having something interesting on their channel, I guess. I just hope that it's a ratings hit and they get the chance to see it through. Also that maybe the internet won't completely ravage and mutilaaahahahahaha who am I kidding, the creator has a tumblr for fucksakes. It's only a matter of time before he sees things that make him want to dig his eyes out with a spoon, assuming he hasn't already.

Oh well. The future is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima! :dominic:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Pick posted:

I agree, but it was still fine. Episode 5 is still my favorite :allears:.

I mean, how the hell can you possibly top

Feranon posted:

The future is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima! :dominic:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean, how the hell can you possibly top

Yes. This is the best gif ever.

Besides any possible The Duchess Approves gif I guess.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Feranon posted:

Good on Disney for actually having something interesting on their channel, I guess. I just hope that it's a ratings hit and they get the chance to see it through.

Gravity Falls is doing pretty well, ratings-wise. It's Disney Channel's #1 show and it's beating every other cartoon except Spongebob in viewers.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Feranon posted:

Oh well. The future is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima! :dominic:

Some people on ToonZone's forums are claiming that this means that John Aoshima is leaving the show because he's moving on to something else.

I don't know how much that's true though.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Some people on ToonZone's forums are claiming that this means that John Aoshima is leaving the show because he's moving on to something else.

I figure it's just meant to be an in-joke, a la the "Hurzch" ad seen in the bar in "Headhunters" and the Pitt Cola that's shown up in various episodes (after Joe Pitt).

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Pakled posted:

Gravity Falls is doing pretty well, ratings-wise. It's Disney Channel's #1 show and it's beating every other cartoon except Spongebob in viewers.

Finally a show I like on cable isn't a ratings underdog :qq:

I think I could stand being beaten by Spongebob in terms of cartoon ratings, though. I mean come on, it's Spongebob.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think there is a much simpler explanation. "The Inconveniencing" has production code 103 according to some Wikia wiki about the show. The same site gives John Aoshima as the director for "The Hand That Rocked The Mabel", with production code 104.

So assuming the production code is actually meaningful, episode 5 was once episode 3, and now its future (episode 4) is in the past. Onward Aoshima!

Well it makes sense to me.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Episode 6 I noticed something:
There was no bald moon guy with the glasses, but there was a shitload of visual references to bundles of sticks in the background and single sticks being broken. A meta reference on the episode and a metaphor on how Dipper and Mabel can't be seperated.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Episode 6 was good but it felt like a Flapjack script with the serial numbers filed off, down to the b-plot involving Captain K'nuckles at the Candy Barrel Grunkle Stan at Greasy's Diner.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Winklebottom posted:

If there's a gif wizard out there who can do it, I would love them forever.

http://i.imgur.com/ZD6Hd.png
http://i.imgur.com/U75RS.png

Ask and you shall receive.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Ask and you shall receive.

You are a beautiful person and you should know that I love you.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Vaerai Archon posted:

Episode 6 I noticed something:
There was no bald moon guy with the glasses, but there was a shitload of visual references to bundles of sticks in the background and single sticks being broken. A meta reference on the episode and a metaphor on how Dipper and Mabel can't be seperated.

It's also part of fascist symbolism, and on top of that there's been some illuminati/NWO conspiracist imagery sprinkled about the show. Maybe we're gonna get a Secret Shadowy Cabal of Evil Old Dudes at some point. Please don't be one of them Grunkle Stan :ohdear:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Winklebottom posted:

You are a beautiful person and you should know that I love you.

What kind of a sick joke is that?

I loved the sugar dipping sticks, I haven't seen those in ages. I remember everyone would get so loving hyped up on those things.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Feranon posted:

It's also part of fascist symbolism, and on top of that there's been some illuminati/NWO conspiracist imagery sprinkled about the show. Maybe we're gonna get a Secret Shadowy Cabal of Evil Old Dudes at some point. Please don't be one of them Grunkle Stan :ohdear:

He has made reference to "The guys from the lodge", but they neither like nor trust him, so he might betray them for Mabel and Dipper.

SwimmingSpider fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 15, 2012

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just caught the latest episode. I humbly submit that we change the title of this thread to "Gravity Falls - 'The future is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!'" because drat if that didn't make me laugh out loud.

Also, anyone got any animated gifts of the Lamby dance? I'm kind of surprised it hasn't already worked it's way into half a dozen avatars by now.

Edit: Hey cool I found one!

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 15, 2012

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

readingatwork posted:

Also, anyone got any animated gifts of the Lamby dance? I'm kind of surprised it hasn't already worked it's way into half a dozen avatars by now.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I decided not to get the 8-bit lamb dance avatar, so if anybody else wants it, here it is:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Awesome!

Can someone avatar this up for me? I'm seriously considering taking this for my own (I'll keep the text underneath it the same as what I already have. It's kind of my "thing"). The only reason I wouldn't is if anyone has seen the next episode already and has any better ideas.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Episode 6 is fantastic. The training montage and the MENotaurs are absolutely hilarious.

Reginaldavid
Sep 30, 2006
beautiful cretin

Rhinoceraptor posted:

He has made reference to "The guys from the lodge", but they neither like nor trust him, so he might betray them for Mabel and Dipper.
Oh wow, I had assumed he meant a fishing lodge, but a Masonic-style lodge would make so much sense--especially considering his fez and the symbol he has hanging in the dining room (which the online game calls the "Order of the Holy Mackerel" logo). It'd be pretty funny if his fez meant that he tried being a shriner for a while, but he dropped it because he was too curmudgeonly.

Occupation posted:

Grampton St. Rumpterfrabble as irascible cock swain "Saunterblugget Hampterfuppinshire"
Coxswain. Boating term. :eng101: It might be unintentional, but there's an additional joke there in that coxswains are always small, light-weight people, but that actor is an old fat guy.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Reginaldavid posted:

Oh wow, I had assumed he meant a fishing lodge, but a Masonic-style lodge would make so much sense

Coxswain. Boating term. :eng101:

Holy crap I didn't consider either of these points!

Just finished watching all six episodes and now I'm kind of obsessed with this show? There's just such a great balance between the Crazy Thing of the Week, the creepy underlying plot, and humor, with hefty doses of character interaction for each element.

Which, now that I think about it, is pretty much the kind of mix in all the shows I really love (Dennou Coil, Veronica Mars), so yay, new show to obsess over! :D

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm hoping the lodge thing ends up being another Twin Peaks reference. Is Grunkle Stan with Bob or with Mike?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd like to point out something about episode 5:

Texting girl - imprisoned in the TV
Fat Kid - imprisoned in DDR machine
Blonde kid - eaten alive by cereal bird
tattoo guy - made into a hot dog
black-haired guy with a guitar - ???

That leaves him as a witness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick