Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Zarkov Cortez posted:

From Futureshop (Canada)
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...2528dc46336en02

Pre-Orders: Estimated release date: 08/10/2012

I don't believe it. I ordered mine from Visions.ca and they said the 23rd of July. If you do a google search for Nexus 7 July 23, you get a lot of hits. So I think that the consensus right now is that we will see it on or just after July 23.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
ABT.com telling customers there is an FCC delay

http://blog.laptopmag.com/nexus-7-pre-order-shipments-delayed-fcc-to-blame

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dradien posted:

People are taking it to the extreme, and there was one guy talking about legal action over on XDA.
Did anyone point out to him that attorney bill rates can be easily measured in "Nexus 7s Per Hour?"

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

On the flip side, there's this to consider: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...-business-days/

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Check your local Sam's Club. They're selling them today, it seems.

Mine (Madison WI West Side location) has 5 in stock.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

I called the number (855-83-NEXUS) and it indeed plays a recording that says the shipments are starting today and they'll all be out within the next three business days (and there will be email confirmation upon shipping).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nexus 7's started shipping for Play orders.

https://plus.google.com/106886664866983861036/posts/cjhEZ3DihLP

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Literally the only piece of breaking news I've ever gotten from G+. :rimshot:

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe
This is one of the most goony threads I've ever followed.

Aside from that. I have an Evo 4G rooted with ICS and have a Kindle Fire rooted with an ICS rom. I'm tempted to pick up a Nexus 7 because it offers the "real Android experience", but I'm really curious and hesitant, what IS the "real Android experience"? So far to me, it's been a clunky open source platform to just dick around with, read some books, play some emulators, and do some internetting before sleep.

I get that it's more powerful and has a camera and such but is there something I'm missing as to why this tablet is such a big deal for the "experience" or is it just because the weather widget will update 50ms faster than any previous tablet?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Regardless of the "experience" it's still the best tablet for $199 and absolutely smokes the Kindle Fire, which is its most prominent direct competitor. Even if the Nexus 7 still had Ice Cream Sandwich it would still be the $199 tablet to buy.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Hoppin Tin posted:

Aside from that. I have an Evo 4G rooted with ICS and have a Kindle Fire rooted with an ICS rom. I'm tempted to pick up a Nexus 7 because it offers the "real Android experience", but I'm really curious and hesitant, what IS the "real Android experience"? So far to me, it's been a clunky open source platform to just dick around with, read some books, play some emulators, and do some internetting before sleep.

I get that it's more powerful and has a camera and such but is there something I'm missing as to why this tablet is such a big deal for the "experience" or is it just because the weather widget will update 50ms faster than any previous tablet?

You actually have a better than 2% chance of getting an official update.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
So who else furiously clicked through the cart and didn't notice:

Apparently they open the box and connect your account for you which delays shipping on your device.

Anyone know how they're going to attach my account when I have two-factor auth?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IT Guy posted:

Apparently they open the box and connect your account for you which delays shipping on your device.

They don't open the box and it doesn't delay shipping.

It's all server side. When you power the thing on and connect it to the internet, google knows that this device serial is yours and sends over the username.

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2659446

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

They don't open the box and it doesn't delay shipping.

It's all server side. When you power the thing on and connect it to the internet, google knows that this device serial is yours and sends over the credentials.

Oh sweet. Thanks.

Edit: I maybe should have clicked that little "Learn more" link. Good to know. Anxiety is going back down now.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 13, 2012

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

IT Guy posted:

You didn't actually think they did that, did you? Like they powered it on, put your username and password in, authenticated it, and then packed it back up...

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You didn't actually think they did that, did you? Like they powered it on, put your username and password in, authenticated it, and then packed it back up...

Not originally, no. But then my friend (who is a goon but shall remain nameless but I know you're reading this) loving told me that's what they were doing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hey IT Guy's friend:

you're dumb.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

IT Guy posted:

Not originally, no. But then my friend (who is a goon but shall remain nameless but I know you're reading this) loving told me that's what they were doing.

Troll successful!

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

bigmandan posted:

Troll successful!

Bullshit!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hoppin Tin posted:

Despite its past, modern Android isn't clunky and is arguably in the same league as iOS. On average, the various custom manufacturer skins detract from its usability in some manner, and all of the non-Google-Experience devices receive updates more slowly.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

Despite its past, modern Android isn't clunky and is arguably in the same league as iOS. On average, the various custom manufacturer skins detract from its usability in some manner, and all of the non-Google-Experience devices receive updates more slowly.
Didn't the Transformer Prime get Ice Cream Sandwich before the Xoom?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Didn't the Transformer Prime get Ice Cream Sandwich before the Xoom?

Sorry, I didn't even remember that Google Experience was an offical thing. I was just using it in the generic sense...meaning Nexus devices.

So yeah, replace "non-Google-Experience" with "non-Nexus".

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Has anyone actually gotten a shipping order from Google yet, aside from those UPS messages a few days back?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I just got an email today from Google that my American express was just charged, although my card thought it might have been fraudulent, so I had to call in to confirm the charge for it to be processed. I guess the gears are finally turning.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ok, let's not post about N7 shipping stuff anymore. I guess one post about getting a shipping notification is ok, so everyone knows the thing is really happening.

I just don't see a point in continual updates and speculation on it.

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe
I get the downside of various android devices get slow updates... but isn't that null as soon as you root and get customs roms and ports? I still don't know why I should trade in my kindle fire for a nexus 7. Don't get me wrong, I'd really want to get a nexus 7 but I'm not seeing the really big advantage

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Hoppin Tin posted:

but isn't that null as soon as you root and get customs roms and ports?

Yes but that makes a huge assumption that the device has a sizable and talented after market community.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Hoppin Tin posted:

I get the downside of various android devices get slow updates... but isn't that null as soon as you root and get customs roms and ports? I still don't know why I should trade in my kindle fire for a nexus 7. Don't get me wrong, I'd really want to get a nexus 7 but I'm not seeing the really big advantage

Performance and functionality are all better on the Nexus 7. Unless you are really tied to some of the fire only media applications, there is no reason to stay with a kindle fire.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Twice the ram twice the processor, higher resolution, and Bluetooth are why I traded mine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hoppin Tin posted:

The previous two comments are right.

If you're trying to decide whether to buy a Fire or a 7, the obvious choice is a 7.

However, I don't guess the choice is clear-cut if you already have a Fire. Among other things, it depends on how much $200 means to you.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Hoppin Tin posted:

Since the next closest device to the N7 is the Fire, most commentators have been comparing the two. Most are saying that there is a pretty noticeably performance increase in the 7. Read up, the info is out there.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

Thermopyle posted:

Ok, let's not post about N7 shipping stuff anymore. I guess one post about getting a shipping notification is ok, so everyone knows the thing is really happening.

I just don't see a point in continual updates and speculation on it.

Received a minute ago from googleplay-noreply@google.com:
Your Google Play Order from Jun 27, 2012 Has Shipped

Edit: Order date: Jun 27, 2012 10:50 AM PDT

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I just got my email from Visions.ca that my Nexus 7 has shipped. Will be here Monday, stupid weekends.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
Y'all don't have it that bad. In the Netherlands we have to wait until somewhere in September(!) before Asus starts moving the Nexus 7.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

The previous two comments are right.

If you're trying to decide whether to buy a Fire or a 7, the obvious choice is a 7.

However, I don't guess the choice is clear-cut if you already have a Fire. Among other things, it depends on how much $200 means to you.

And assuming you do have a Fire, you like the Fire for the Amazon exclusive content, and you're still wanting to part with $200, it's worth seeing what Amazon's follow-on to the Fire might be.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

kitten smoothie posted:

And assuming you do have a Fire, you like the Fire for the Amazon exclusive content, and you're still wanting to part with $200, it's worth seeing what Amazon's follow-on to the Fire might be.

Is there any analysis of how big/good the amazon app ecosystem is compared to the play marketplace?

I get the impression that there is more/better stuff on play, but I don't know that.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

For some people (like me), the cool thing about the Kindle Fire is that you can stream Prime video which is basically like Netflix. You can also check out ebooks for free from the Kindle Owner Lending Library which you can't do from any other tablet.

That being said, the app store has most of what you'd want with the downside of having updates be delayed because they need to be approved by Amazon. I'm sure there is stuff missing but you can sideload most apks including ones not in the Amazon store so it's not a huge deal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Slo-Tek posted:

Is there any analysis of how big/good the amazon app ecosystem is compared to the play marketplace?

I get the impression that there is more/better stuff on play, but I don't know that.

I'm fairly certain there are no apps on the Amazon store that can't be found on the Play store.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Syrinxx posted:

That being said, the app store has most of what you'd want with the downside of having updates be delayed because they need to be approved by Amazon.
On a lark, about a month or two after the Amazon app store opened, I submitted an app.

It sat in the review queue for so long that when the approval email came through, I initially was confused because I had nearly forgotten I had submitted the app. We're talking nearly a month delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Install Gentoo posted:

I'm fairly certain there are no apps on the Amazon store that can't be found on the Play store.

Other than the built-in Amazon ones on the Kindle Fire.