Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

When I think of asses, something comes over me.

quote:

No one looks better in the rear view than Dontari Poe, the NFL's new gold standard in badonkadonk. At the combine, the 346-pound nose tackle from Memphis made scouts' hearts race after he ran a 4.98 40-yard dash in a pair of impossibly large compression shorts. Instantly, Poe's bouncing, bodacious bubble butt (also referred to in scouting parlance as the shelf, high rear end, assy, great hips, the crevice and the timeless classic "big enough to land airplanes on") turned the usually taciturn fraternity of football scouts into a chatty horde of Sir Mix-a-Lots.

Adds Yankees teammate Nick Swisher: "Your legs and your butt take the swing. Look at a guy like Albert Pujols. He's not a monster dude up top, but he's a monster guy down low. Alex Rodriguez, Ken Griffey Jr., Sammy Sosa, Hank Aaron -- all monster legs and rear end."

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8132777/david-fleming-importance-athlete-butt-espn-magazine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
They should have made the next article about homophobia in pro sports.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

This would be a firing offense at a 5,000-circulation paper, let alone ESPN, but I'm not sure ESPN realizes they still employ Lynn Hoppes.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

This would be a firing offense at a 5,000-circulation paper, let alone ESPN, but I'm not sure ESPN realizes they still employ Lynn Hoppes.

I wonder if ESPN executives felt a wave of panic when the Sandusky story broke and thought to themselves "Oh god, did we ever hire him for anything ever?"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

haljordan posted:

I wonder if ESPN executives felt a wave of panic when the Sandusky story broke and thought to themselves "Oh god, did we ever hire him for anything ever?"

A bunch of interns frantically scanning the assignment history for their spelling bee coverage.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

AsInHowe posted:

Of course, his next post really gets to the heart of Erin Andrews being a terrible journalist, by being an attractive woman. Here's the actual post, the contents (and headline) of which are not an added-on joke:

Truly breathtaking levels of sexism. Hard to believe it took him three pieces to call pretty women bitches, indirectly.

I went to college with Laura and it really upsets me to know that she's about to get poo poo on by a bunch of old men simply because she's a pretty girl who is successful.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I too am a monster guy down low.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Man, Gawker traffic must be way down since their redesign because AJ is now resorting to this:

quote:

And, still, none of these women who've ever slept with Magic Johnson seemed opportunistic enough to step forward and tell their tale. Neither have the transsexual prostitues. So once again, the story of Magic's HIV survival takes front and center over how he actually got it. That Frontline documentary will have to wait for another day.

If anyone has any more information about who gave Magic Johnson HIV, please feel free to contact us. I think we can afford to pay more money for this now. Please email me at ajd@gawker.com with information. Thanks.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Truly that is the most important part of the story.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

If you venture down to the comment sections on some of the entries at Gakwer, it's evident that even a lot of people who regularly visit the site are getting really sick of Daulerio.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I think they were sick of him from Day 1. I used to comment a lot on deadspin but I got really skeeved out when they started doing that HEY HELP US IDENTIFY THIS RANDOM HOT GIRL AT THE BALLGAME...THE FACT THAT SHE'S HOT MEANS SHE WANTS ATTENTION poo poo.

Oh and the whole "posting a video of a girl being sexually assaulted in a sportsbar then telling her 'tough poo poo' when she asked for it to be taken down" episode.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 12, 2012

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I wanna know who shot their death load in Magic's neg hole.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crazy Ted posted:

If you venture down to the comment sections on some of the entries at Gakwer, it's evident that even a lot of people who regularly visit the site are getting really sick of Daulerio.

This brightened my day. Thanks, Crazy Ted.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jeremy Schaap wheeled out for one of those 'serious news' pieces on sportscenter : "Only the most most sycophantic dead enders remain in Paterno's camp. Needless to say, his son Jay Paterno is standing his ground."

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Kalli posted:

Jeremy Schaap wheeled out for one of those 'serious news' pieces on sportscenter : "Only the most most sycophantic dead enders remain in Paterno's camp. Needless to say, his son Jay Paterno is standing his ground."

Wait, he actually loving said that?! That's spectacular.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Wait, he actually loving said that?! That's spectacular.

Yeah, I was shocked he actually said that, and followed it up with a disastrous clip from Thursday's Jay Paterno interview.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I was shocked he actually said that, and followed it up with a disastrous clip from Thursday's Jay Paterno interview.

Found it!

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8166061

The specific remark is at about 2:05.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Kalli posted:

Why is Jay acting as the family spokesman? Why isn't the Scott, lawyer kid, taking that role?

Running Jay out for interviews is like putting a wounded cow in front of a wolf pack.

Dr_Strangelove fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 19, 2012

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Found it!

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8166061

The specific remark is at about 2:05.

Holy poo poo :iceburn:

In other news, Grantland has got to be the most schizophrenic sports site out there in terms of article quality. There seems to be almost no middle ground between great insightful pieces like that WFAN one, and inane bullshit nobody could possibly care about like this:
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/32363/kobe-bryant-does-the-most-kobe-bryant-thing-hes-done-in-a-week-2

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Alpha3KV posted:

Holy poo poo :iceburn:

In other news, Grantland has got to be the most schizophrenic sports site out there in terms of article quality. There seems to be almost no middle ground between great insightful pieces like that WFAN one, and inane bullshit nobody could possibly care about like this:
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/32363/kobe-bryant-does-the-most-kobe-bryant-thing-hes-done-in-a-week-2

Sometimes hitting article quotas/word counts is hard.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

If anyone is looking for some entry-level contract work, SB Nation is hiring writers.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ladies and gentlemen, I present: We've Run out of Ideas

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Crazy Ted posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present: We've Run out of Ideas

The Mets were having a star wars night vs the Nats and Snooki did a recent promo appearance and well I guess they have lots of hours to fill.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Heaf posted:

The Mets were having a star wars night vs the Nats and Snooki did a recent promo appearance and well I guess they have lots of hours to fill.

She did a promo appearance to announce that ~Pauly D~ will be DJing some event at a Mets game or something :cawg:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

leokitty posted:

She did a promo appearance to announce that ~Pauly D~ will be DJing some event at a Mets game or something :cawg:

I have been at a club that had advertisements for Paulie D coming. Providence~

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

leokitty posted:

FWIW the rumor is that the Jersey Shore actor stuff is being forced on the Mets by MLB.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

FWIW the rumor is that the Jersey Shore actor stuff is being forced on the Mets by MLB.

I believe it but it also says something about the Mets position within MLB that they are the ones getting this shoved down their throats.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

leokitty posted:

I believe it but it also says something about the Mets position within MLB that they are the ones getting this shoved down their throats.

Bud can force them to do pretty much anything because their ownership hangs by the grace of Bud at this point.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

leokitty posted:

I mean, there's really only three teams that would make sense for a Jersey Shore tie-in, and I don't think it surprises anyone that the Mets are lower in the pecking order than the Yankees and Phillies.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Well I was thinking the other option was to realize how dumb it is and not force anyone to do tie-ins that don't benefit MLB.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

leokitty posted:

Well I was thinking the other option was to realize how dumb it is and not force anyone to do tie-ins that don't benefit MLB.

Haven't you heard, kids these days love that Jersey Shore, just like they love that Skrillicks fellow and his crudbump music

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Good news, there's finally going to be some sports writing on the internet.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

And they misspelled wookiee!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Arctic Baldwin posted:

And they misspelled wookiee!
I guaran-loving-tee you ESPN got e-mails about this.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

NBC Sportsnet is gonna try their own morning highlights show without an on-screen host. Nice of them to try, but as usual I think they have an uphill battle against that other show with the Star Wars/Snooki/Harper fact sheet

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/07/nbc-cable-net-to-get-morning-highlight-show-with-unseen-host/1#.UA_o26PpWjS

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

NBC Sportsnet is gonna try their own morning highlights show without an on-screen host. Nice of them to try, but as usual I think they have an uphill battle against that other show with the Star Wars/Snooki/Harper fact sheet

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/07/nbc-cable-net-to-get-morning-highlight-show-with-unseen-host/1#.UA_o26PpWjS

I actually like the sound of this and I'll certainly give it a try. I just want to see highlights of the games, I have zero shits to give about Bud HEAVY Six Dumb Questions With John Clayton's Alien Head. I generally like what NBC Sports is doing the quality of their stuff tends to look better I think - they just need to get some better sports.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah, I'd be willing to give that show a try too. I hope it shows highlights somewhat equally though as opposed to 25 minutes on the Yankees-Red Sox game and 20 seconds for each other game.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Niwrad posted:

Yeah, I'd be willing to give that show a try too. I hope it shows highlights somewhat equally though as opposed to 25 minutes on the Yankees-Red Sox game and 20 seconds for each other game.

You'll probably see more NHL and MLS highlights, and I think they're allowed to do actual video replays of the Olympics thanks to their license.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Jeff Passan posted:

On June 21, the Marlins had lost six of seven games and fallen two games under .500. Loria decided it was an appropriate time to give the team a pep talk. One player there called it "possibly the worst speech I've ever heard." The Marlins lost that day and then four of their next five.

The Heat's first playoff game was April 28. They won the NBA championship June 21. For every home game between those dates, the Marlins averaged a crowd of 28,194. When the Marlins and Heat played at home on the same day, that number dropped less than 2 percent, to 27,729.

What have the Marlins drawn at home on the dates outside of the NBA playoffs? Exactly 28,774 per game, and if you want a more realistic idea of an average game, take away opening day – the only sellout the Marlins have been able to muster in their supposed must-see ballpark – and the number dips to 28,402. In other words, the difference between a regular Marlins game and one on a day in which the Heat hosted a playoff game was 208 fans after opening day, 673 fans including that game.
And considering tickets for the next three Marlins home games are going for $2.50, $2.50 and $2 apiece, it's not like those 673 people had a great reason to stay away.

It's a testament, actually, to the people of Miami, who are either so sickened by the Marlins or ambivalent toward them that neither a campaign of glitz nor an offseason of spin could lure them into this den of blood money.

The Florida Marlins owners whined, and they brayed, and they swore up and down that they couldn't afford the new stadium necessary to raise their payroll from embarrassing levels and compete annually. And they got it, the vast majority on the taxpayer's teat no less, this gleaming new gem from which they would fatten their pockets by taking all of the ticket and concession and parking and advertising sales, every last cent, no matter how unseemly that felt.

To allay fears, they changed their name to the Miami Marlins, their colors to a rainbow vomiting, their image to reflect the city, hot enough that the New Yorker would profile them and Showtime would broadcast a documentary on them and free agents Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle and Heath Bell would take the money. People actually bought into the thing, recognized them as a real team and not just some affiliate run by a couple of swindlers who had already screwed Montreal and were primed to do the same to another city.
Jeff Passan really hates Jeffrey Loria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
while there are a shitfuckload of reasons to hate Jeff Loria, the Marlins' attendance numbers have loving skyrocketed compared to what they were before (home attendance so far on the year is ~1.42M per ESPN, versus ~1.52M for all of 2011 and ~1.53M for 2010; they've already bested the entire season's paid attendance for each year from 2006-2009)