Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

readingatwork posted:

Can someone avatar this up for me? I'm seriously considering taking this for my own (I'll keep the text underneath it the same as what I already have. It's kind of my "thing"). The only reason I wouldn't is if anyone has seen the next episode already and has any better ideas.
I'm too hungover to do anything constructive, so it's Avatar Time!

It was way too big to make one avatar out of, so I've chopped it into different parts. Take your favourite one~

And also some Mabel if anybody wants in:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

an_mutt posted:

And also some Mabel if anybody wants in:

I call this one. I just need a good caption.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I was pretty unconvinced about Dipper at first, but after episodes five and six I'm ready to declare him Doctor Funtimes. I think six was a bit more adventure-timey than the others, but that's not exactly bad thing. The Men-otaurs were pretty goofy, but thoroughly hilarious. I'm also glad that Dipper is getting some time to shine, because Mabel started out as bright as the loving sun.

The show is heartwarming without being too saccharine, the characters aren't exactly breaking any molds (although I like that Stan is pretty unrepentant about his sleezyness, and the show doesn't really punish him with lessons) but they play off each other so well. Everything just pops visually and I've found myself pausing just to admire the vibrant settings.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

an_mutt posted:

I'm too hungover to do anything constructive, so it's Avatar Time!

It was way too big to make one avatar out of, so I've chopped it into different parts. Take your favourite one~

Aw man. I was kind of hoping for the whole thing. Oh well. :/ Thanks for making these though!

I'll put a hold on #2 for the moment. I'm still waiting to see ep 6 before I make my decision.

Edit: I love how simultaneously in pain and into his role he is. He may hate his life right now but he'll be damned if he's going to half rear end this thing.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 15, 2012

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Hell yes, I am calling this one.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hace posted:

The newest episode fell flat for me honestly, although it wasn't written by Hirsch or Rianda so whatever I'll just blame it on that.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Ep 6 stuff: While there were more than enough good gags in this episode to make it worth watching, this wasn't the best of episodes. What's made this show so amazing so far is that every episode has an emotional hook, while this one had like seven. I think they could have made a whole episode out of Dipper's manliness insecurities or Grunkle Stan trying to get a girlfriend, but as is no montage could make them work together.

The thing is, this episode's problems have kinda made me like the series more. I get the feeling that they realized that the episode wasn't playing to the show's strengths somewhere during its production, and then just kinda rolled with it until they got something that wasn't embarrassing. There was a lot of self-deprecating humor in this episode, particularly in the montage sequence where they tried (and failed) to connect the A and B plots and the credits gag that negates half of the story.

So yea, not a perfect episode but still a very likable one! If nothing else, worth it for Dipper's temporary tattoos.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
The real question is: were any of the Manotaurs voiced by John DiMaggio and if yes, how many?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Comrade Question posted:

The real question is: were any of the Manotaurs voiced by John DiMaggio and if yes, how many?

Actually he voices Manly Dan! :haw:

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Episode 6: I have no idea how this show got away with naming a character Pube-otaur

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Mokinokaro posted:

"This town has such a colorful history!"

SwimmingSpider fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 15, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zeeman posted:

Episode 6: I have no idea how this show got away with naming a character Pube-otaur

I was thinking puberty but it probably has a double meaning.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
Hey, guys! Thanks for the great thread.

I've been having a bad summer and finally gave into my friends' enthusiasm--which outstrips their taste from time to time--and chowed down on all the GF episodes this weekend. So glad I did. It's been great comfort food for me.

And yeah, avoid tumblr and "fandom" places. That poo poo is poison.

I think my favorite ancillary character is Cute Biker. He's so... thrilled.

Also, this is hilarious: http://vigilantcitizen.com/moviesandtv/gravity-falls-a-new-disney-tv-show-loaded-with-illuminati-symbolism/

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Zeeman posted:

pretty sure it's "pituitaur"

also i absolutely need to know who voices multi-bear

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

SexyBlindfold posted:

pretty sure it's "pituitaur"

there's pubertor and pituitor and testosteror and chutzpah

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

SexyBlindfold posted:

Alfred Molina

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SexyBlindfold posted:

It's Alfred Molina.

efb

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Devil Tesla posted:

Thanks for pointing this out!

Ep 6 stuff: While there were more than enough good gags in this episode to make it worth watching, this wasn't the best of episodes. What's made this show so amazing so far is that every episode has an emotional hook, while this one had like seven. I think they could have made a whole episode out of Dipper's manliness insecurities or Grunkle Stan trying to get a girlfriend, but as is no montage could make them work together.

The thing is, this episode's problems have kinda made me like the series more. I get the feeling that they realized that the episode wasn't playing to the show's strengths somewhere during its production, and then just kinda rolled with it until they got something that wasn't embarrassing. There was a lot of self-deprecating humor in this episode, particularly in the montage sequence where they tried (and failed) to connect the A and B plots and the credits gag that negates half of the story.

So yea, not a perfect episode but still a very likable one! If nothing else, worth it for Dipper's temporary tattoos.

I thought the A and B plots went together well. Both Dipper and Stan were trying to adjust their masculinity under the tutelage of someone who exemplifies the ultimate end goal (the manotaurs as manly men, Mabel as a girly girl). At the end they took something from the experience but refused to compromise themselves, and it worked out for both of them. They were practically the same plot.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Sockser posted:

there's pubertor and pituitor and testosteror and chutzpah

and Beardy

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
All this talk about episode 6 and nobody mentions the hilarity that was Lazy Susan.

"I GOT HIT BY A BUS!...."

Everything she did was gold.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Mokinokaro posted:

"Your sister seems to be going nuts for that Smile Dip..."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

readingatwork posted:

Aw man. I was kind of hoping for the whole thing. Oh well. :/ Thanks for making these though!

I'll put a hold on #2 for the moment. I'm still waiting to see ep 6 before I make my decision.

Would you be comfortable if I took 1, 3, or 4? I just came up with text that is WAY too good to not use.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just found out we have a thread for this awesome show. Good times.

So what's the goonsensus on Soos? Best character, right?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rarity posted:

But...Mabel exists...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Occupation posted:

But...Mabel exists...

Sir, you make a compelling argument.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

DivisionPost posted:

Would you be comfortable if I took 1, 3, or 4? I just came up with text that is WAY too good to not use.

Go for it! You can even have #2 if you want. I'll do something from episode 6.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Rarity posted:

Don't forget your Grunkle Stan!

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
I spent the day mini-marathoning the stuff via OnDemand, and boy, this is a winner of a show.

For me, it is the Mabel show, and everyone else is her sidekick.

I wish this could be shrunk down, and made avatar-able, because I would so totally use it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rarity posted:

Soos is great but Wendy is my favorite, followed by Mabel and Stan. They're all so great!

But Soos has probably the highest awesome joke:screentime ratio. The sasquatch walk, the reaction to Deuce, the mailman scene, "I'm soft, like a woman", "I am needed elsewhere", his dance... he's amazing.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Oh my goodness. Matt Chapman from Homestarrunner.com is going to be doing some work for Gravity Falls!

I can't imagine a more perfect project for either of the Chapman brothers.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 16, 2012

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Pick posted:

Soos is great but Wendy is my favorite, followed by Mabel and Stan. They're all so great!

Stan shot to the top of my list with the conversation with Gideon's dad.

"It's imported. All the way from Colombia."

"Wow. I went to jail there once."

Also his reaction to The Duchess Approves.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

I swear, half the things Mabel does in this show are created specifically to be turned into animated gifs.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Some random bootleg clips from Comic-Con:

Scene from an episode in progress. Animation is finished, but not final voice tracks, so everyone inexplicably sometimes has a male voice.

A brief promo.

Chexoid posted:

Oh my goodness. Matt Chapman from Homestarrunner.com is going to be doing some work for Gravity Falls!

I can't imagine a more perfect project for either of the Chapman brothers.

Well, he's working on a project for Disney TVA, so that's not really surprising. (He also works as a director and actor for The Aquabats! Super Show!, even going so far as playing in one episode a character who was pretty much Strong Bad.)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

readingatwork posted:

Go for it! You can even have #2 if you want. I'll do something from episode 6.

Great! #2 is actually perfect, there's just one thing:

It's 1 KB over the limit! :gonk: Can you get this down to 30 KB?

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

mobo85 posted:

Well, he's working on a project for Disney TVA, so that's not really surprising. (He also works as a director and actor for The Aquabats! Super Show!, even going so far as playing in one episode a character who was pretty much Strong Bad.)

At least one of 'em is doing SOMETHING. I miss the regular H*R updates. They were doing the poo poo all the hip cartoons do now ten years ago.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Winklebottom posted:

Stan shot to the top of my list with the conversation with Gideon's dad.

"It's imported. All the way from Colombia."

"Wow. I went to jail there once."

Also his reaction to The Duchess Approves.

"It's just like my life! ... in a way."

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rhinoceraptor posted:

"This town has such a colorful history!"

That's perfect. Thanks.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

DivisionPost posted:

Great! #2 is actually perfect, there's just one thing:

It's 1 KB over the limit! :gonk: Can you get this down to 30 KB?
I saved it at 29kb. :( Here, try this:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

mobo85 posted:

Some random bootleg clips from Comic-Con:

Scene from an episode in progress. Animation is finished, but not final voice tracks, so everyone inexplicably sometimes has a male voice.

A brief promo.

They've straight up struck gold with this show. I'm not going to be surprised when this show becomes Adventure Time big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

an_mutt posted:

I saved it at 29kb. :( Here, try this:

Aaaand sold.

• Locked thread