Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Although I'm annoyed that we still haven't heard a peep about F4, at least there's Wasteland 2 to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
They won't do it, because it's the opposite of progression, but I really feel the best choice for a new location would be the LA Boneyard sometime between the first and second games. You get all the benefits of playing in the Fallout sandbox and you ain't gotta jump through hoops to explain why The Brotherhood, The Enclave, supermutants and ghouls are there (maybe the Enclave, but you could keep their involvement on the level of New Vegas). You've got the second largest city in America to explore, so there's that recognizable-real-world-place thing FO3 and NV have and I'm sure you can add new content without violating the canon :goonsay: stuff.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I really love Hardcore mode but the companion permadeath part of it is pretty annoying. A lot of the time I decide to just go without rather than bring someone along who I know will just get killed. If there was a mod that prevented companion permadeath but kept every other part of hardcore 100% as it is, I would never play normal again :)

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

VaultAggie posted:

Although I'm annoyed that we still haven't heard a peep about F4, at least there's Wasteland 2 to look forward to.

New Vegas sold me so much on the new game design that I wonder whether this one will feel like a step back, at least outside of the writing. I'll still buy the hell out of it.

I don't mind waiting for a full-fledged F4 if it means next-gen game engine + well-honed story.

HitTheTargets posted:

They won't do it, because it's the opposite of progression, but I really feel the best choice for a new location would be the LA Boneyard sometime between the first and second games. You get all the benefits of playing in the Fallout sandbox and you ain't gotta jump through hoops to explain why The Brotherhood, The Enclave, supermutants and ghouls are there (maybe the Enclave, but you could keep their involvement on the level of New Vegas). You've got the second largest city in America to explore, so there's that recognizable-real-world-place thing FO3 and NV have and I'm sure you can add new content without violating the canon :goonsay: stuff.

That's an area that I think could profit from being revisited, but I still would prefer an early days Fallout that takes place either during or before the events of the original Fallout. It would definitely need to be taking place somewhere other than California to avoid interfering with the whole California story arc, though. Texas is a great unvisited area, for instance. I played through Fallout: Tactics just the once... it doesn't cover Texas does it?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

khy posted:

If there was a mod that prevented companion permadeath but kept every other part of hardcore 100% as it is, I would never play normal again :)

There are like five mods on the Nexus that do this,

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Epi Lepi posted:

Maybe I'm just super scarred by the Star Wars prequels but I just can't get excited by a prequel anything. I just don't see the point of them and the only vaguely well done ones I can think of are the KotOR 1 and 2, and even those aren't really that stellar.

There's always Deus Ex.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
There's no much around in the time of the original Fallout though. It's mostly just small towns, lots of wilderness and people scared of the radiation and mutation they don't yet understand. As much I love the first game, I think revisiting that part of the timeline could be a little dull, or just end up being a rehash. Fallout canon doesn't give that much leway for player choice, considering how the player games say what is canon out of Fallout 1 and 2 - like how the good ending for the Followers of the Apocalypse is bugged, but New Vegas shows that the bad ending shown isn't canon, but the ending where they survive is.

If they do reference New Vegas in fallout 4, it'll probably be some guy going "the Legion and the NCR had a battle at Hoover Dam, but I don't know much about it". I get the feeling that the House path is most likely to be canon, since that's the one the game encourages you to take first.

Out of all he companions, Veronica gets the most :smith: endings.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The trouble with prequels is that they're pretty limited. Like, KOTOR works because you can have this big fuckoff the-galaxy-at-war thing because it's 10,000 years ago, whatever. But in Fallout you can't really have a prequel set on the west coast because you already generally know what happens on the west coast. It makes the game totally meaningless because whatever you do or don't accomplish is invalidated by the fact the Master's army is about to roll up, and if the game developers decide to make it this epic struggle (and they always do) then it makes it all the more jarring that nobody mentions said struggle in the original game.

That being said, Fallout:Denver as a follow-up to whatever Fallout 4 game is working on would be great, since they've already dropped hints about it, and a giant treetop city built into the skyscrapers (kinda like a large scale version of the Pitt) with packs of dogs roaming the streets would be pretty incredible. You run into kind of a problem that the Legion's standing at the end of NV can be wildly different (amongst other pretty serious possible events, like the Courier nuking the NCR) but I assume it would be like the other Fallouts and they would go with the 'good' ending (House, obviously, but really any non-Legion victory) as canon and have a defeated, crumbling Legion, possibly already infighting and with other stuff factoring in.

OldMemes posted:

Out of all he companions, Veronica gets the most :smith: endings.

How is telling her to wait in McNamara's office and then setting off the bunker's self destruction sequence bad? She gets to die with her family :unsmith:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Even if the Legion ending was canon, I'm pretty sure that would still work so long as they set it far enough ahead of NV that Caesar would have died of natural causes (he's already pretty old even if you do cure his cancer), since most dialogue makes it pretty clear that the Legion would fall apart without the force of his will driving it. The whole thing is built on all of his knowledge and ideas, and cobbled together from a bunch of tribes that wouldn't have anyone with his education capable of taking over leadership. It would most likely splinter into rival factions pretty soon after his death anyway.

LLCoolJD posted:

New Vegas sold me so much on the new game design that I wonder whether this one will feel like a step back, at least outside of the writing. I'll still buy the hell out of it.

I don't mind waiting for a full-fledged F4 if it means next-gen game engine + well-honed story.

I agree with this; the setting works REALLY well as an FPS. Much better than the fantasy setting of the Elder Scrolls games, where melee combat just feels incredibly shallow. The big open exploration of the Fallout games just ends up being much more immersive when you're doing it all yourself, rather than just having most of it happen automatically over a world map between key locations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
If you don't take Veronica and Bloody Mess, you're missing out on the most hilarious decapitations this side of the Rio Grande.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Wolfsheim posted:

How is telling her to wait in McNamara's office and then setting off the bunker's self destruction sequence bad? She gets to die with her family :unsmith:

You're a monster! :stonk:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Epi Lepi posted:

You're a monster! :stonk:

You know what's really monstrous? Not letting me hear Elijah's final words after I locked him in a vault. Wait.

I was kinda bummed out there wasn't even a holotape message read by Elijah. That was the low point for me in Dead Money.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

The companions at release were pretty crazy, Veronica was bugged so she wouldn't level past ten. Boone would level extremely fast and gain stacking crit chance each time you opened his inventory wasn't it? He could kill everything before you even knew they were there and Veronica was constantly getting knocked out in combat.

Veronica and Ed-e are the group I always find myself going back to. Its unfortunate that Cass and Rex require so much legwork to get and are only available relatively later in the game.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Veronica and Ed-e are the group I always find myself going back to. Its unfortunate that Cass and Rex require so much legwork to get and are only available relatively later in the game.

This is my problem with Raul; I loved adventuring with him, but having to finish up Black Mountain to do it is a pain.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
ED-E was a decent companion at launch. After the patches he is an orbital satellite of death and destruction.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

The companions at release were pretty crazy, Veronica was bugged so she wouldn't level past ten. Boone would level extremely fast and gain stacking crit chance each time you opened his inventory wasn't it? He could kill everything before you even knew they were there and Veronica was constantly getting knocked out in combat.

It was always fun to be casually walking along when suddenly Boone would whip out his gun and disappear into the distance, to return 5-10 minutes later without a word. Whatever it was he spotted, it's not a threat to anything anymore!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've just never liked Veronica. Her zany shtick clashes with her "I belong to an organization that is slowly dying due to its unwillingness to change, and also my family separated me from my girlfriend, and also my mentor went insane and vanished" thing. Not that I hate zany, but it's such a jarring disconnect whereas in (for example) Lily, a character that truly is a one-note joke, the game doesn't try to have it both ways. I didn't want her to be all weepy or like Mass Effect 2's Jack or anything, but I feel like they were trying too hard to make her overtly wacky to mask her terrible life, and it just didn't work.

The same thing comes across much less forced in Arcade, the game's other gay companion that is both struggling to find meaning in the wasteland and belongs to a secret high-tech group that is now a dwindling shell of what it once was, and also happens to be The Best Companion :colbert:

JawKnee posted:

This is my problem with Raul; I loved adventuring with him, but having to finish up Black Mountain to do it is a pain.

One stealth boy, a decent sneak skill and enough drugs and magazines to get you up to 60 Science will let you finish Black Mountain without firing a shot. I did it at like Level 3 (and immediately shot up to Level 6 when I finished it, thanks to the ridiculous XP dump you get for it).

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 17, 2012

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Kharmakazy posted:

ED-E was a decent companion at launch. After the patches he is an orbital satellite of death and destruction.

Yeah and after the Lonesome Road upgrades you just feel silly switching him for Rex.

Poor Rex, you are pretty cool and cute but that flying eye robot is just 100x better than you :smith:, at least I gave you a new brain so you can be live happy and forever with The King.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I'm surpsied so many people like ED-E. I hated him and his annoying musical chime. Rex never steered me wrong and when I went cruising through Deadwind Cavern, motherfucker took down a Mommy Deathclaw.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Cass is the best companion because her storyline ends with the two of you going to war with two of the biggest power brokers in the New Vegas area, and the NCR by proxy, over a matter of principle and a lovely, broken-down caravan company.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rex isn't a bad companion, but he's The King's companion. I can't in good conscience separate them, they're buddies. :unsmith:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

EDE is the best, since you don't have to worry about Deathclaws and Cazadors hiding out of your line of sight. Also he doesn't get stuck on geometry

The Fallout franchise is really constraining itself by trying to both constantly advance the timeline and leave the "true" ending of each game entirely open ended with no canonical choice. There's no reason things can't be happening all over America concurrently, instead of having to carefully place settings so they don't touch eachother;

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Cass is the best companion because her storyline ends with the two of you going to war with two of the biggest power brokers in the New Vegas area, and the NCR by proxy, over a matter of principle and a lovely, broken-down caravan company.

I have no idea what you're talking about, my brief jaunt with Cass ended up with her a pile of ash in the Silver Rush :colbert:

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Ohio State BOOniversity fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 5, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JawKnee posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, my brief jaunt with Cass ended up with her a pile of ash in the Silver Rush :colbert:

This reminds me how far I went out of my way to keep the Silver Rush Bouncer from dying to my companions' fire every time I was in that area after I wrecked his employer's business, because our brief time together on the door was really neat and he was a good, no-nonsense dude who was just doing his job.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Yeah, he kind of goes overboard when you let that bomber in.

And also when you get the evidence on the Vangraffs and the Crimson Caravan in a previous game of mine, oddly enough.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JawKnee posted:

And also when you get the evidence on the Vangraffs and the Crimson Caravan in a previous game of mine, oddly enough.

Oh dude no matter what you do at the end of Cass's quest the Van Graff's will either be hostile or dead. Preferably dead (after getting the evidence of course). Because then Cass will get both perks and keep them. Oddly reflecting my own indecisive nature.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JawKnee posted:

Yeah I didn't let the bomber through (should have, it would have been perfect but I didn't know what would happen) but I ended up turning in the evidence against them and promising not to take matters into my own hands. I could never bring myself to let the bouncer get killed even though he wanted my head, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hey, they shot first. SELF-DEFENCE. :mad:

I just carried the entire contents of their store over to the gun runners to give them a new home now that their original owners are gone. It's not like it's stealing or anything.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I turned in McLafferty and the Van Graffs, then went back to the Silver Rush to see if Gloria had restocked her inventory.

But before I had even reached the criers at the intersection, Simon was trying to fill my mouth with plasma. So I pulled out the gauss rifle and killed him, then the Smitty Special for the rest. Jean-Phillipe went down like a molerat to a deathclaw.

Of course, this was after I had already dumped a few nailgun rounds into the back of McLafferty's head in her office.

Some of the sneak situations in the game make me laugh. I'm crouching pretty much on McLafferty's back and she doesn't notice me. I crouch right next to the inside door guards at the Silver Rush and they don't notice me. Just...awesome.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Say, if you do a bunch of companions' quests and tell them to chill at the Lucky 38/The Sink, will their slides still show up? And is it possible to recruit the Enclave Remnants, dismiss Arcade and go get someone else to join you at Hoover Dam?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

CommissarMega posted:

Say, if you do a bunch of companions' quests and tell them to chill at the Lucky 38/The Sink, will their slides still show up? And is it possible to recruit the Enclave Remnants, dismiss Arcade and go get someone else to join you at Hoover Dam?

The way I saw the Remnants work is that after you finish Gannon's companion quest, he just stays with the Remnants until the Dam fight and you're free to grab two more companions.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
As far as I'm concerned this is the only way to cap off beating Dead Money

:byewhore:

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

You should get an ending slide for all recruited companions. Even if you're playing on hardcore and they die, you should get a slide saying that so-and-so reached the end of their journey fighting alongside the courier.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

As much as I disliked Operation: Anchorage, I think a proper FPS game during the war that culminated in the bombs falling would be interesting. Hell, have id do it.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Dr.Smasher posted:

The way I saw the Remnants work is that after you finish Gannon's companion quest, he just stays with the Remnants until the Dam fight and you're free to grab two more companions.

Arcade can stay with the Remnants and fight at Hoover Dam or you can tell him he should go back to the Followers and help the wounded and dying during the battle.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

FauxGateau posted:

I was kinda bummed out there wasn't even a holotape message read by Elijah. That was the low point for me in Dead Money.

If he's alive at the end of Dead Money, you can listen to him ramble whenever you want as long as you picked up his radio signal in the Villa.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Orgophlax posted:

As much as I disliked Operation: Anchorage, I think a proper FPS game during the war that culminated in the bombs falling would be interesting. Hell, have id do it.

What was the consensus on Fallout 3's DLCs, anyway?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Thompsons posted:

I've only played through Op:A and the UFO one and these are just my opinions. The UFO one is terrible and completely off lore and boring as poo poo. Op:A is basically their attempt at putting a Modern Warfare mission into the game. It's worth slogging through for the indestructible power armor at the end though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Thompsons posted:

None of em were as good as the NV DLCs though I'd argue that Point Lookout comes close. I don't think many people like Operation Anchorage or Mothership Zeta, but the other 3 are pretty strong in my opinion.