Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Turnquiet posted:

Do we have a release date on the Nexus 7 yet? It is on sale locally, but I preordered. I haven't heard a word from Google. Am I an outlier, or is this just the way it is?

I think Google said around Friday noonish that they'd have all preoder units shipped out in 3 days, but I haven't heard anything about mine at all yet so who really knows at this point. Kinda getting annoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Quandary posted:

I think Google said around Friday noonish that they'd have all preoder units shipped out in 3 days, but I haven't heard anything about mine at all yet so who really knows at this point. Kinda getting annoyed.

I just ordered the 16gb on July 10th, and UPS tracking says I'll have it tomorrow. I suppose there's some wackiness going on with their order fulfillment process. What the hell did you do to piss off Google?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Final Blog Entry posted:

I just ordered the 16gb on July 10th, and UPS tracking says I'll have it tomorrow. I suppose there's some wackiness going on with their order fulfillment process. What the hell did you do to piss off Google?

I ordered mine on the 11th, so :iiam:. I figure I'll call them tomorrow if I still haven't heard anything. Has anyone else who pre-ordered had this problem?

I know there was a moratorium on shipping talk, so I can remove this if requested but I think this falls outside of the bounds of "oh god my nexus is on my doorstep :fap:"

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Quandary posted:

3 business days. We aren't there yet.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

So it sounds like the only place I might be able to walk in and out with a Nexus 7 is Gamestop and Sam's Clubs/Wal Mart?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

randyest posted:

I am old and reasonably well-read and I have never heard that word (fobbed). I thought you made it up or mangled the spelling of something like that other guy, but it turns out I am just ignorant. Wow, thanks for the new word!

You're most welcome!

Edit: And since people are talking about shipping dates again, Google posted this today:
http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2667319&ctx=plusone

quote:

When will my preorder ship?
We're now shipping Nexus 7 preorders. All US and Australia preorders are scheduled to ship by July 17th. UK and Canada preorders have also begun shipping in waves.
pre:
Customers who received their confirmation email on
Friday, July 13 can expect delivery on Tuesday, July 17.
Once your order has shipped you’ll receive a
confirmation email and tracking number. You'll be able
to track your shipment with this tracking number as
soon as it has been activated, which may take up to one
business day after the email with your tracking number
has been sent to you.
Though our agents are unable to provide a specific delivery date for individual preorders, please rest assured that our shipping team is working to fulfill all orders as quickly as possible.

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 17, 2012

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Ah, thanks guys.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
We have no idea when it will actually be in stores though? I'd rather walk in and out with one than order it and have to wait.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

General_Failure posted:

With all the Nexus talk above, I do have my concerns that it'll have a short life in its position, being pushed aside by a wave of more fully featured tablets. They could have extended its appeal so much with just a couple of minor tweaks, but perhaps that was by design. Get it right first time and who would buy another one?
Still don't get why they didn't give the Nexus 7 an SD card. Was it the licensing fee? Sure they could have cheaped out and gone SPI mode on an SD card slot, but that would have gained them a lot of criticism.

If people are wondering what I'm talking about, using a properly supported SD card slot carries a royalty. SPI mode bypasses the special protocol and talks to the card more directly but it is slower. All you really need to talk to an SD card like that is literally power, earth and a few IO lines. It's not hard. I've done it myself.
Such a shame too because I really like the Nexus 7. Spiffy tablet for money, even with the "Australia tax" to a degree.
Good point General_Failure: US$2500/year for an SDIO license is unreasonably steep and really pretty unnecessary for a company like Ainol who is just trying to bring high-quality, low-cost android tablets to the masses without unnecessary cost burdens that just have to be passed on to the consumer. They'd have to sell ~25 of those Ainol Elf II's to pay for just that fee alone, and that's assuming all profit! I bet they have to sell thousands to cover those ridiculous licensing fees from profits. :(

edit: oh, wait, you mean the Nexus 7, not the Ainol, oops (I figured you were talking about how the Ainol corrupts SD cards and so probably didn't license a proper SDIO stack and instead used some SPI work-around approach.) But isn't $2500/year approximately $0 for a company like google? Maybe the marginal cost to include the SD hole is more than one would assume? Boy this stuff sure is complicated I'm glad you're here G_F to help us understand!

As an aside / follow up to your previous posts, did you ever decide which of you or your lady enjoys the Ainol the most? I'm thinking about giving my wife the Ainol but she really likes Peggle and Bejeweled and games like that, and I hear that those have some issues on the Ainol ellf. Have you tried those at all?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Daric posted:

We have no idea when it will actually be in stores though? I'd rather walk in and out with one than order it and have to wait.

Most of the preorders have been shipped; mine is coming tomorrow. My friend's, who ordered early last week, has been charged, but not shipped as of tonight.

It's been in stores since Friday or this weekend. You'll have to call around to see whether or not they have them in stock.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Jesus Christ, could we please stop with N7 shipping bullshit and making fun of General_Failure for knowing something about a hardware platform?

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
I just wanted to post that I called the Nexus Helpline (or whatever it is called) and I was informed that if you ordered a case with your Nexus 7, that they should be going out Tuesday (today technically in my timezone). I guess the whole holdup was the case itself, but yeah.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Make fun, whatever. I don't care. I'm a big boy. Back from the trip and the first field test of the Chinese special. It was playing video for perhaps 3.5 hours. barely made a dent in the battery and Wi-Fi was left on the whole time. I connected it to the car stereo and just had the back speakers running for the passengers watching it.

it's serving its purpose. No complaints.

As a bonus I picked up a Mini to normal HDMI adapter and an HDMI to DVI one. Among other things it means I can plug it into the TV or the monitor for the desktop to make a fair assessment of what the HDMI support is like using equally cheap Chinese adapters.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I thought they were just not going to put SD cards in Nexus devices anymore. Something about how it unifies storage which makes everything easier/more elegant. I remember them saying that about the Galaxy Nexus so I wasn't surprised when I heard the Nexus 7 would follow.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Hikaki posted:

I thought they were just not going to put SD cards in Nexus devices anymore. Something about how it unifies storage which makes everything easier/more elegant. I remember them saying that about the Galaxy Nexus so I wasn't surprised when I heard the Nexus 7 would follow.

Well it would fill a niche for certain consumers, no doubt. I won't deny though I like having removable storage.

there is one thing that occurred to me. Suppose for whatever reason something goes awry with an update. How do you recover from that? Does it have the equivalent of whatever that ROM backup is that some PCs have? Or perhaps a working USB stack to allow re-flashing from a PC?

Just a genuine question. Besides custom ROMs or whatever I've had to reflash once after an update caused a phone to get stuck in an infinite boot loop that nothing else could solve. How do the Nexus and other such things deal with this scenario?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I've been using my 16gb Galaxy S for over 2 years and I still have 5gb left on it, so I'm hoping 16gb will be enough for the tablet, though I imagine I'll be watching more videos and playing bigger games on it.

Pre-ordered mine the day after it was announced and I haven't heard a thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Staples all over the place have them in stock. I went to one last night and just bought it. Just check their website for stores stock. It helps that no one shops at staples.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

potentiometer posted:

Not exactly sure if i've seen the tablet layout in landscape unless you mean what i'm seeing now. When I switch to landscape in Nova Prime the search bar turns into a magnifying glass icon on the left side of the screen and the dock moves to the right side in a vertical format, the rest of the screen icons, folders, ect just stretchs out. I tried to get a couple screen shots up but imgur won't play nice with me.

Thanks, that sounds like how Nova displays on a phone in landscape rather than the tablet layout. I wonder if the dev will find a way to use the tablet layout since I'd rather not actually change the DPI and have to deal with Play Store compatibility issues.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So I tried out the HDMI on the Elf II. Doesn’t seem to support dual mode but it does thankfully do the swirly circle pointer for navigation. Plays video fine even at 1080. Was silly enough to try playing a couple of games like that and they worked fine too in HD, besides not having the position of the buttons on the display etc.

Shame about the lack of dual display, but I couldn't see myself plugging it into a TV for touch screen gaming anyway so no big loss to me. That seems as pointless as a Wii-U.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
You guys that already have your Nexus 7's, are you experiencing the issue where the sides are coming apart?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus7/comments/wkyg5/the_left_side_of_the_screen_isnt_fully_stuck_to/

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

IT Guy posted:

You guys that already have your Nexus 7's, are you experiencing the issue where the sides are coming apart?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus7/comments/wkyg5/the_left_side_of_the_screen_isnt_fully_stuck_to/

That's awful. I was expecting that it had a really high quality build. Please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it meant to have that Gorilla Glass stuff? If so then how are people applying enough force to re-adhere / pop back the screen? either way that's a pretty serious issue.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

General_Failure posted:

That's awful. I was expecting that it had a really high quality build. Please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it meant to have that Gorilla Glass stuff? If so then how are people applying enough force to re-adhere / pop back the screen? either way that's a pretty serious issue.

You were expecting a high quality build from Asus of all companies?

Your Ainol Elf is probably made better.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

golgo13sf posted:

You were expecting a high quality build from Asus of all companies?

Your Ainol Elf is probably made better.

Well... it's built better than those lovely old 1.6 tablets for sure but beyond that I couldn't say.

My eee701 was very well built... except they had to underclock them from the factory and CPU throttling didn't save power because of a board design issue, and the last motherboard in the PC was ...terrible. O.K. fair enough. I concede.

But seriously it's a flagship item of sorts. I was expecting issues like the inexplicable ability to realise that the GPS was shielded by the case in the Transformer. Not what's essentially a structural failure in the main item that makes a tablet what it is, especially with an armored coating over it. I hope they at least offer to do recalls for the affected people.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

General_Failure posted:

But seriously it's a flagship item of sorts.

This flagship device was slapped together in 4 months what do you expect?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Amazon just changed the delivery date of my Transformer Infinity from Aug 14th to July 19th (this Thursday). I guess this means they should be in stock at various places this week for anyone interested. Now back to your regularly scheduled Nexus 7 shipping discussion thread.

Whooping Toff
Oct 21, 2010

*ahem*

I do beg your pardon.
Its been partialy talked about before but could someone with a nexus 7 confirm if usb OTG actually works or what needs to be done to get it to work? Really really want to be able to connect a flash drive for extra storage when mine arrives.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

eric posted:

Mine is fine. Sorry.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Mine too, although I would like to know when they are releasing the coloured smart cases because I do not trust my kids.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Whooping Toff posted:

Its been partialy talked about before but could someone with a nexus 7 confirm if usb OTG actually works or what needs to be done to get it to work? Really really want to be able to connect a flash drive for extra storage when mine arrives.

It's not that difficult, you have to be rooted though. You can check out this xda thread for details on how people have gotten it to work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

General_Failure posted:

But seriously it's a flagship item of sorts.
"Of sorts" is the best description of it. It was a tablet Asus already had in development and Google convinced them to use it as their Nexus tablet with four months till release.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

General_Failure posted:

Well it would fill a niche for certain consumers, no doubt. I won't deny though I like having removable storage.

there is one thing that occurred to me. Suppose for whatever reason something goes awry with an update. How do you recover from that? Does it have the equivalent of whatever that ROM backup is that some PCs have? Or perhaps a working USB stack to allow re-flashing from a PC?

Just a genuine question. Besides custom ROMs or whatever I've had to reflash once after an update caused a phone to get stuck in an infinite boot loop that nothing else could solve. How do the Nexus and other such things deal with this scenario?
If you are technically adept and care enough to worry about flashing stuff off an SD card, you can recover just as easily with one of the factory images. Drop into bootloader mode, unlock bootloader, flash the factory image, relock bootloader if you feel so inclined.

If installing an OTA goes south and you were not technically adept enough to know or worry about flashing stuff off an SD card, well, I guess you call the 1-800 number and ask them. They'd probably just swap your device I guess.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 17, 2012

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Mine is fine. Sorry.

Are you already bored with it and planning to sell it?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

eric posted:

Are you already bored with it and planning to sell it?

Actually:

1) I cancelled my first preorder for an 8GB
2) I made a second order for a 16GB
3) I happened upon on in a Staples last night and bought it
4) I'm selling my pre-order to a guy I work with

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Actually:

1) I cancelled my first preorder for an 8GB
2) I made a second order for a 16GB
3) I happened upon on in a Staples last night and bought it
4) I'm selling my pre-order to a guy I work with

Is it currently fitting YOUR needs?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I got my N7 for a GPS, particularly off road, I can't wait to test it out in the mountains this weekend. It should be delivered at my office in the next hour or two. :3:

If it works out well I'll probably hit up the local fry's or staples to get 1-2 more.

For a few years I was using a General Dynamics laptop with a satellite receiver running cached google earth and delorme. It's great, but I need to run it through vehicle power and the thing weighs a ton:

Then I replaced that with an Ipad 2 3G model, not that I needed the 3G but the dumb ipads have the GPS radio/receiver chips only on the 3G models. On that I run motionX GPS with cached topographical maps...

I threw a gumdrop 2 case on the ipad and had that thing bounce around on rocks and sand and it still works great.

So It'll be interesting to see how the Nexus 7 stacks up for acquisition time, reception in a hard top and soft top vehicle, and various mapping software, and see how well the screen performs in daylight.

I'll probably start off by running GPS tools to start.

That being said I hope there's a few options for rugged cases for the nexus 7, the price point is perfect for a good off road gps setup.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Staples all over the place have them in stock. I went to one last night and just bought it. Just check their website for stores stock. It helps that no one shops at staples.

Staples is also cool because they frequently have x% or $x when you spend $y amount coupons that work on tablets.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

eric posted:

Is it currently fitting YOUR needs?

My knees are suited.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

First impressions, this is different.

I've owned a Xoom for a year and a half now and when I ordered this I thought "This will be a faster, more portable version of a thing I've been using for awhile. I may be more inclined to use it in portrait mode due to the form factor, but otherwise it won't differ a ton."

That couldn't be further from the truth. It just feels so RIGHT in portrait. The DPI renders full websites perfectly readable zoomed out at this size and most are formatted such that 800 width works great. It's very natural to hold one handed in portrait and typing with two thumbs is about perfect for the size and balance of the device. I would venture to say that I'll probably only use it in landscape when playing games that run in landscape.

This is in direct opposition to the Xoom that feels natural in landscape and just feels really odd in portrait. But that means it almost always requires two hands.

I'll be interested to do an even more in depth comparison between using the two devices once my Xoom gets JB.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

eric posted:

No it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Geared Hub posted:

So It'll be interesting to see how the Nexus 7 stacks up for acquisition time, reception in a hard top and soft top vehicle, and various mapping software, and see how well the screen performs in daylight.

I'll probably start off by running GPS tools to start.

Definitely check out Google's My Tracks for mapping your trips. I use it for bike rides and it's really awesome.