Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
day 12 not smoking.
wasn't too hard.

I have had another issue though. I was at the gym yesterday, trying to jog when after 10 minutes or so I had the feeling of not getting enough air.
After 20 minutes I had much trouble breathing in, as if my lungs would just mechanically stop after a shallow breath.
So obviously I stopped and went outside.
It took over two hours to be somewhat okay, but even after a day it just doesn't feel like I get enough air into my lungs.

Anyone know what this could be?

Is it possible to be some sort of mechanical obstruction caused by my hosed up spine like a blocked vertebrae thing?
Asthma that takes so long to go away?
Allergy?

I mean I will go to the doc if it persists it's just funny that this poo poo starts in week two after not smoking and I'd like to know to which type of doctor I should go first.

Other than that not smoking is a very good thing and it's not really that hard if you go by the Carr book mentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RamrodMC
Mar 2, 2011

midget astronaut
Year and a half without smoking. Good luck to the rest of you goons trying to quit, once you get past your "hump" (you'll know it when you get there), the rest will be smooth sailing in comparison.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

I had so much extra money after no longer paying for a long, slow form of suicide I came to this chill place for bros :shobon:

CaptMrWill
Jan 26, 2004
www.will-o-rama.com
1.5 years here. My trick was to chew on toothpicks. I still chew on them at my desk, in the car, and bring them with me when I drink. They're my pacifier. It might not do much for you, but I was a fifteen year smoker and the oral fixation was a big obstacle for me.

panorama_change
May 23, 2008

Inertia is a property of matter.

Boner Slam posted:

day 12 not smoking.
wasn't too hard.

I have had another issue though. I was at the gym yesterday, trying to jog when after 10 minutes or so I had the feeling of not getting enough air.
After 20 minutes I had much trouble breathing in, as if my lungs would just mechanically stop after a shallow breath.
So obviously I stopped and went outside.
It took over two hours to be somewhat okay, but even after a day it just doesn't feel like I get enough air into my lungs.

Anyone know what this could be?

Is it possible to be some sort of mechanical obstruction caused by my hosed up spine like a blocked vertebrae thing?
Asthma that takes so long to go away?
Allergy?

I mean I will go to the doc if it persists it's just funny that this poo poo starts in week two after not smoking and I'd like to know to which type of doctor I should go first.

Other than that not smoking is a very good thing and it's not really that hard if you go by the Carr book mentality.

Phlegm? For about three weeks after I quit I had quite a bit of phlegm every morning. Never had it feel like it obstructed my breathing, but it was considerable amounts.

Day 478 of being smoke free.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wanted to hop into this thread to let you guys know that if you're in British Columbia (Canada) the government will pay for the first 2 months of gum/patches, and will help pay for zyban etc.

More info here.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've been trying to start smoking lately to fit in with my peers but the stuff loving tastes like poo poo and makes me dizzy. Any tips guys? This is harder than I thought it would be.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

I've been trying to start smoking lately to fit in with my peers but the stuff loving tastes like poo poo and makes me dizzy. Any tips guys? This is harder than I thought it would be.

Try looking into suppositories.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

panorama_change posted:

Phlegm? For about three weeks after I quit I had quite a bit of phlegm every morning. Never had it feel like it obstructed my breathing, but it was considerable amounts.

Day 478 of being smoke free.

nothing of that sort. After going to a doctor I now believe it was some unrelated mechanical obstruction from my spine problems.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.

VelociBacon posted:

Just wanted to hop into this thread to let you guys know that if you're in British Columbia (Canada) the government will pay for the first 2 months of gum/patches, and will help pay for zyban etc.

More info here.

Two months? That's awesome.

If you live in the state of New York and want some help quitting, the state quitline will do two weeks of patches plus telephone counseling/support to help you quit. Go here. Keep up the hard work, folks!

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012
I have quit smoking dozens of times. I've tried chewing tobacco, gum, patches, zyban, everything. 25 year habit is starting to take its toll on me and I fear I'll die if I don't quit. The only time I've ever been able to quit smoking for any length of time is when I'm incarcerated so I guess I better roll some fool or something else that will net me a couple of months in the slammer.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
Day 17 of being an ex-smoker.

Loving it! No more withdrawal symptoms, sometimes just a little bit of an urge to smoke, but nothing I can't opress.

I can taste my food. I CAN TASTE MY FOOD! And it tastes great. Plus i can exercise more and more. Why didn't I do this before?

Keep up the good work everybody!

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
18 months now.

What worked for me was completely cutting out anything I associate w/ smoking. that meant caffeine, booze, and recreational drugs. All are back now save tobacco (shisha once) and I can really say that I don't want to smoke, ie; before when I've quit I always resented not being able to fully enjoy a beer, coffee, etc. but now I don't even associate them. or something. whatever, it worked for me!

ColonelMoutard fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 23, 2012

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

ColonelMoutard posted:

18 months now.

What worked for me was completely cutting out anything I associate w/ smoking. that meant caffeine, booze, and recreational drugs. All are back now save tobacco (shisha once) and I can really say that I don't want to smoke, ie; before when I've quit I always resented not being able to fully enjoy a beer, coffee, etc. but now I don't even associate them. or something. whatever, it worked for me!

I can identify with this, because it was incredibly hard for me to quit for the first week and now I see why. I started smoking at work with the guys and picked up the habit for real. That was 6 years ago and I've not had a smoke for two weeks now. One day at a time.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
I'm going back and forth being motivated to quit. I use the patches when I do, otherwise I lose my goddamn mind. I've been on the patch for 24 hours and have only had 2 cigarettes, down from about 15 a day normally.

Apart from cravings, my mouth tastes like utter poo poo and I'm twitchy as gently caress. Also I get this strange sort of detachment from everything. I was feeling a bit hot in a few areas of my body and was wondering if that was some new weird side effect for me. It wasn't bad, just present. I went to check the A/C and apparently its busted because its 80 in here instead of the usual 68. I hardly notice the difference. I can't tell if I'm hungry, thirsty, have to piss, anything. I'm just detached. My vision is a bit hazy but manageable. With no patch on I'll get blurred and double vision so bad I can't drive.

I have to go to the doctor to get a meningitis shot to go to school this fall, I may ask for some chantix while I'm in there. I have a very profitable but very intense job so as weird it as it may sound I'd rather smoke two packs a day than risk losing it. I only go on these small bursts of nicotine withdrawals to boost my health whenever I can afford to do so. This addiction sucks though.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Quit cold turkey. I made a bet with someone on who could go longer without smoking and that really helped. Just hit a month this past Thursday. I've always been prone to colds and got one this last week for the first time since quitting. I've never recovered faster from one since I started smoking when I was 17.

Admittedly, I stopped buying a few months ago and would just bum off of people. I've noticed I have ~$200 extra left over every month.

This is the best choice I've made in years, but it wasn't easy to get to this point. Not smoking while drinking was the toughest. I would justify it and say "I'm just going to smoke while I drink!" but I have a really supportive group of friends who told me to gently caress off anytime I would ask.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

This is attempt number infinity..I'm trying the taper method this time. Down from a pack a day to six cigarettes a day. It's a lot easier this way, but I'm not sure if it's because the quarter ended. Not having any stressful things to worry about makes it easier to not smoke...buuuut what happens if I freak out about something? I'm not really prepared for that. :ohdear:

What do you guys do as a replacement for dealing with stress instead of smoking?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

old dog child posted:

This is attempt number infinity..I'm trying the taper method this time. Down from a pack a day to six cigarettes a day. It's a lot easier this way, but I'm not sure if it's because the quarter ended. Not having any stressful things to worry about makes it easier to not smoke...buuuut what happens if I freak out about something? I'm not really prepared for that. :ohdear:

What do you guys do as a replacement for dealing with stress instead of smoking?

Luckily I work in a job where I can freely yell at people. That worked big time.

"Hey Cole, how's your day going?"
"SHUT THE gently caress UP AND DON'T loving TALK TO ME FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR!"

I apologized to everyone when I calmed down.

When I wasn't at work? The gym. A lot of gym time. I would beat the everloving poo poo out of the heavy bag.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

old dog child posted:

This was the only thing I got out of the Alan Carr book, really. When I realized that the progression wasn't stressed -> smoke -> unstressed, it was that stress causes cravings, and then you fill that craving. So actually smoking makes your stress WORSE because it adds a craving on top of everything, and fulfilling that craving (smoking) doesn't make your stress any better, it just brings it back down to a non-smoker level.

Which isn't to say that taking five minutes to chill out and mull over an issue doesn't help. Just do it inside with some coffee or a beer, pen and paper to doodle out your stress/solutions and get through the craving.

You'll be ok. Just remember smoking makes stress worse, not better.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure
Been clean for about 6 months but I'm off on a lads' holiday this weekend and I am already thinking of excuses why I will be sitting on the terrazza drinking an espresso and sucking down a marlboro. What the gently caress is wrong with me.

Sny
Sep 1, 2007
Been about three months now, I still get the occasional curious thought of smoking, not because I want one, but because I'm bored. Oddly, being around my brother who still smokes has helped me quit. The secondhand smoke I sometimes put up with has really turned me off from them.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland
1 year! :toot:

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine
Broke all week. Got paid today. Bought a pack of smokes, had one. Guess I hit a bump on my bike and it fell out, as they werent there when I got to work.

Guess its a sign its time to quit. Wish me luck goons!

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

Six days without a smoke. Started smoking when I was 16, I'm almost 31 -- smoked just under a pack a day typically. I'm using nicotine gum and it's working well for me so far. I still really want to smoke, but I won't. I'm done with that poo poo.

I feel a ton better already. I felt like such a fatigued lazy pile of poo poo before; that feeling was gone after just a day or two without a smoking. I've started trying to run, too. I've never run in my life, but after just a week, I can run 1/2 mile nonstop without dying/puking. Within a couple more weeks my goal is to be able to run a mile without getting winded. Already thinking of running a 5k in a few months, too. gently caress smoking. The few actually good cigs I'd smoke in any day (the first one, the after meal ones) are not worth it.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!
2.5 years for me now. Good luck Goons!

I did it with Chantix and breaking my biggest habits.

First, I stopped going into convenience stores. I pay for my gas at the pump. That kept me from automatically saying " and give me a pack of Camels or Marlboro too". That went a LONG way in helping.

The harder part was smoking after meals. Instead of smoking I'd go on a 15-20 minute brisk walk. For whatever reason, that took care of my craving after meals.

It's still hard sometimes, TBH, but it gets easier every day. Now I only really miss it when I'm stressed out.

So good luck!

InfiniteDonkey
Jul 27, 2007

I think I need a hug.
Today it's been 31 days since my last smoke. I asked my doctor for the Champix starter pack and it's now starting to run out (I've lowered the dose slowly this last week). I have a prescription for 2 months more of Champix, but at this time i'm not going to use it. I'm now in the phase where it's all about willpower.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
I'm on Day 4 of quitting cigarettes cold turkey, and so far it isn't too bad! I've only been a regular smoker (of cigarettes, :420:) for 2 years or so, but for the past year my use had escalated to about a pack a day. I decided I would quit now since a) it's probably a good idea to start now instead of in 20 years and b) I can barely afford them as it is. My first day was actually the worst, I walked into a convenience store intent on buying a Black and Mild, but luckily I stopped myself and got some soda instead. Since then I've had cravings, but none have been too strong.

Good luck to everyone else out there fighting the good fight! A big motivator for me has been an increase in my biking performance. It's only day 4 but I feel like I can ride without losing my breath quite as easily, so I'm excited to see what happens in a few weeks.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
For the gum chewers: do you actually have to do what it says on the box?

Ive been trying to quit for ages. I slipped up again on the same drat trigger and decided to grab some Nicorette just for those moments. It's really helped, I've only needed a couple pieces in the last four days but it's really made a difference. But the box tells me I should chew 9 pieces/day for six weeks. That's crazy talk! That's more cigarettes than I smoked a day and definitely way more gum than I've ever chewed in my life (and this stuff is foul!) Are they right and I'm just kidding myself or are they just trying to get me to buy $100 worth of gum?

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

InEscape posted:

For the gum chewers: do you actually have to do what it says on the box?

Ive been trying to quit for ages. I slipped up again on the same drat trigger and decided to grab some Nicorette just for those moments. It's really helped, I've only needed a couple pieces in the last four days but it's really made a difference. But the box tells me I should chew 9 pieces/day for six weeks. That's crazy talk! That's more cigarettes than I smoked a day and definitely way more gum than I've ever chewed in my life (and this stuff is foul!) Are they right and I'm just kidding myself or are they just trying to get me to buy $100 worth of gum?

I've been on the gum for 12 days now. I chew probably about 8-10 pieces a day of the 2mg gum. I've gotten to the point where I crave the gum more so than a cigarette. I love this poo poo. It gives a good nicotine buzz. Walgreens always has the generic brand on sale for a good price. I just paid $40 for 160 pieces -- a lot cheaper than the Nicorette.

I plan on following their directions. I figure they are trying to sell more gum; but also, I think it makes sense to keep the addiction fed while just taking out the psychological aspects of smoking. After that psychological addiction is done with, then work on the physical addiction. And gently caress it, I'd rather chew nicotine gum forever than smoke cigs again.

BouncyCastle
Jul 17, 2011
Its been 5 days since my last puff quitting cold turkey, and the occasional withdrawal anxiety attacks are quite bad for me.

I'd appreciate some help coping with them, if anyone has any.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Its been 365 days since I quit cold turkey, I am getting alot of exercise these days, and I feel great!!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

BouncyCastle posted:

Its been 5 days since my last puff quitting cold turkey, and the occasional withdrawal anxiety attacks are quite bad for me.

I'd appreciate some help coping with them, if anyone has any.

Physically flee from them, leave the room, go elsewhere, anywhere that can keep you occupied, you really only have to make it through like 2 weeks of this, and you'll ve fine.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Bone posted:

I'm on Day 4 of quitting cigarettes cold turkey, and so far it isn't too bad! I've only been a regular smoker (of cigarettes, :420:) for 2 years or so, but for the past year my use had escalated to about a pack a day. I decided I would quit now since a) it's probably a good idea to start now instead of in 20 years and b) I can barely afford them as it is. My first day was actually the worst, I walked into a convenience store intent on buying a Black and Mild, but luckily I stopped myself and got some soda instead. Since then I've had cravings, but none have been too strong.

Good luck to everyone else out there fighting the good fight! A big motivator for me has been an increase in my biking performance. It's only day 4 but I feel like I can ride without losing my breath quite as easily, so I'm excited to see what happens in a few weeks.

hehe; you're not going to like what is going to happen in a few weeks, as your lungs will begin to regain the strength needed to cough out all that tar. :)

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
Yesterday was month 5 of cold turkey. It's also been a year since I smoked pot. I never want to touch a cigarette again, but I'll be damned if the first thing I don't do when I get back home is suck on a bong.

I have to admit that it has been a struggle dealing with the stress of school without pot or cigarettes, but I guess that builds character. I still hope I can take half a hit of sativa and be super engrossed in whatever I need to get done.

Also, I never think about cigarettes at this point, and if anything I look forward to the 15th every month so I can celebratorly take myself out to eat again. :) Hogarth Hughes was absolutely right when he said a few pages back that eventually the cravings would completely go away after three months. At this point I feel like the crest of the hill is behind me and I'm coasting down the path.

rivid fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 16, 2012

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Ugh. Cigarettes.

I've been smoking since about 2008 now (4 years only? Feels like it's been longer.) and I've tried to quit numerous times, during college and after it. I have had some successes, but even once I've kicked the addiction, I inevitably always go back to smoking again. I largely fall into social circles of smokers, and even when I've moved to a brand new town where I was away from all those influences, I fell into yet another crowd, and some stressful stuff drove me back to tobacco.

Now I'm on the patch again, and it sucks. I mean, it's better than the gum, but the patch just makes me feel a continual, calmer nicotine craving rather than sharp, alarming ones. Not to mention I get hosed up dreams while on it. Usually a patch will help me for a few days, and then I can wean myself off completely, but since I inevitably bounce back, I don't really know what the best solution would be.

I don't like asking for help very often, but this thread seems to have produced a lot of success stories. Any advice?

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian

BelgianWaffle posted:

Hi guys,

6 months without cigarettes, coming from half a pack a day habit. Granted, it took me 3 packs of chewing gum and one pack of nicotine patches to get me started (or to get stopped???)

I occasionaly think about cigarettes once in a while but not every day anymore. It's starting to get better now but I'm still susceptible.

Hopefully I'll make it to my 30st birthday...

The one reason which definitely helps me alot is my better skin. My face is not pale anymore and I feel my skin is thicker and more colorful. The area around my mouth looks young again. When I was smoking it tended to be wrinkly, not so anymore.

Although I also feel my lung capacity being much better and healthier it is my healthier skin which acts as the rational reason for me not to smoke.

update: still going strong! my counter now says over 560 euro saved! Hm, might buy a Vita with some games...

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Aw, what the gently caress, I'm in.

Today I was lounging around on my day off, and realized I was getting a pretty serious craving for one, something that never happens for me. I've been smoking for... however long, and usually just smoked because it seemed like a good time for one, so this intense craving is kind of freaky.

So, this thread popped up while I was thinking about whether or not to have one, and I figured why not. Count me in.

After this last "So long, smoking" cigarette, I'm soaking the last of the pack and throwing it away.

Edit: I didn't realize I had killed my pack last night, so looks like this is it.

Edit 2: I almost justified buying just one more pack but I'm not going to. Instead, all your success stories are a real help. Thanks for being there, goons, because lord knows working in food/bev and theater, there isn't going to be a whole lot of support from non smokers and quitters.

FreakerByTheSpeaker fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 17, 2012

C.Y. Phillis
Jan 28, 2006
Today is day 9, I feel like a complete badass already. It really wasn't too hard, but drat I'm proud of myself for making it this far.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

RentCavalier posted:

I don't like asking for help very often, but this thread seems to have produced a lot of success stories. Any advice?

Keep trying man. You've got to really drill it into your head how loving stupid and pointless it is to smoke. Re-read this thread, read allen carrs book, make some notes and stick them all over the place if need be.

You know what it's like getting over the physical addiction, once you've done that ask yourself if you really need that 'one' smoke and want to go through all that poo poo again.

You can fight it or accept it's part of the process, whatever works. The feeling/anxiety that you need to smoke to feel normal and relaxed, yeah... it will gently caress right off eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I haven't smoked since April 16th because of the accident that I was in. So the first 3 days were easy since I couldn't get out of bed in the hospital to go outside to smoke, and I was on a ton of narcotics so I didn't really notice anyway. So yeah, it was an easy choice once I got out of the hospital to not continue smoking.

I came close to having a smoke yesterday and today since I was at a reception (visitation) and a funeral for a brother of two very good friends of mine. I fought the craving, and in all honesty, the craving only lasted max 4-5 minutes, tops. I'm glad I didn't do it. I've been smoking for... a very long time, and if I can fight off the cravings, then anyone can.

• Locked thread