Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012

Thompsons posted:

What was the consensus on Fallout 3's DLCs, anyway?

(This is just my opinion) I thought that both Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta were pretty awful. The Pitt was just okay, really short and they tried to extend it by having that iron bar sidequest. Point Lookout was really atmospheric and looked great, but the ridiculous DR boost that all enemies got made it so tedious to play. Broken Steel's ending was unsatisfying but at least it wasn't as bad as the vanilla game's ending.

My favorite was Point Lookout personally, it's my favorite segment of the game, but I always play it with a mod that removes the ridiculous DR bonuses the enemies get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Thompsons posted:

UFO and Anchorage are garbage, don't bother. The Pitt is pretty neat although they try to shove in a lovely gray choice. Broken Steel was awesome and unfucked the vanilla ending. Point Lookout is fantastic and one of my favorite DLC's, alongside OWB, despite the terrible hillbillies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I suppose I'll be the voice of dissent here. Anchorage and Mothership Zeta were probably my favorite of the DLCs. I liked the general concept of anchorage, and the rewards you get at the end are so, so worth it.

Mothership Zeta may have been a little eyebrow-raising when it came to meshing with the rest of the lore, but I still had a hell of a lot of fun exploring a spaceship that looked like it was straight out of a 60s scifi story.

Broken Steel is a pretty much must-buy of you want a decent ending to the game, I didn't mind picking that one up.

The Pitt was okay, I never did finish collecting ingots, that was a dumb fetch quest.

Point Lookout is the one I never really played. It was actually the last bit of content I had to go through on my Fallout 3 save and I think i just got burnt out on the game as a whole.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
FO3 DLCs give you huge numbers of ludicrously overpowered items. This doesn't paper over the cracks that, eg. the engine and game design is not suited to a straight up FPS (Op Anchorage) unless you want to trivialise the rest of the game even more than normal. The concept might be interesting, but playing it isn't particularly.

And permanent invisibility? Christ.

Mothership Zeta similarly has incredible gameplay problems, no matter the theme.

Point Lookout's the best though so you kind of screwed up the order there :v:

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Looks like I've played the 2 worst. Guess I'll try the Pitt next, but I guess I should wait on Broken Steel until I beat the main quest?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Orgophlax posted:

Looks like I've played the 2 worst. Guess I'll try the Pitt next, but I guess I should wait on Broken Steel until I beat the main quest?

You have to iirc, the only thing broken steel changes before the end is the level cap and some monster spawns.

And yeah, put me in for point lookout being the best FO3 DLC.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Are there any mods that have tried 'fixing' the DLC packs besides the aforementioned Point Lookout DR reduction?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I just started New Vegas a few days ago, my first game in the Fallout series. I'm really enjoying it thus far. I decided to go Legion because I love Roman-flavor stuff and I am racist against robots.

I noticed last night that your followers can activate NPC flavor text as well. It's so cute to see Legionaries looking down at Rex and telling him to be true to Caesar. :3:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

More like you should hold off finishing the main quest until you get Broken Steel. If you've got Broken Steel, it doesn't matter when you finish the main quest. If you don't have it, you need to avoid it to keep playing.

Honestly, the gameplay and story of Broken Steel, the fight in that huge military base, was lame as heck, and kind of a slog.

Speaking of lame and a slog: Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta. They are lame corridor shooters where you kill enemy after enemy, and at no point you are allowed to engage with the story in either one- all you are allowed to do is walk down a set selection of corridors and shoot enemies. They could not possibly be more stupid.

The Pitt was pretty close to being fun, but it feels like they dialed back the greyness of the factions at some point to avoid having too ambiguous a dilemma, and ended up with a pretty silly good/evil choice that was trying to pretend it was grey.

Point Lookout was awesome. It had a hilarious, good story, and a really different, atmospheric setting to explore. It wasn't entirely without issues, but it was pretty much everything good about Fallout 3, just a bit smaller.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Mothership zeta was just silly. Operation anchorage was actually quite fun for me and I really don't like FPS games at all. I... didn't play any of the others...

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

Thompsons posted:

Broken Steel is a must-have if you want some sort of satisfactory ending to the game.
Mothership Zeta looked like a half-assed attempt to squeeze another pop-culture item (UFOs and aliens) from the 50's since everything else is themed 50's too.
As for Point Lookout, it appealed with its change of scenery from monotonous, grey-brown landscape of DC area.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've never played any dlc to fallout ever (couldn't stomach fo3, and even now I don't think I could do it since FONV is billions of times better), and I'm working on my first dlc, Dead Money.

The voice acting and story is great, though the actual combat is a bit lacking. I like scrounging around for poo poo, but I don't like having to pump stimpacks just to get across the stupid poison smoke, especially when I don't have Don with me.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've never played any dlc to fallout ever (couldn't stomach fo3, and even now I don't think I could do it since FONV is billions of times better), and I'm working on my first dlc, Dead Money.

The voice acting and story is great, though the actual combat is a bit lacking. I like scrounging around for poo poo, but I don't like having to pump stimpacks just to get across the stupid poison smoke, especially when I don't have Don with me.

Careful now, last time I said something like that like 40 people called me a pussy for letting the poison hurt me because I'm supposed to be able to avoid it.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I didn't mind Operation Anchorage too much, although I did start to get a little burnt out on it towards the end, and I was disappointed we didn't get to see Liberty Prime in action.

I really enjoyed the Pitt. The setting was incredibly moody and I found the story interesting. Both sides want the same thing (a cure), they just both have twisted ways of going about it.

Mothership Zeta was interesting for a whole 10 seconds and then it became a boring corridor shooter with nothing going for it. Totally skippable.

Point Lookout was pretty good. The larger setting to explore was refreshing and it had a couple of neat locals. I can't remember what the story was about other than feuding spies or something. I thought the hallucination part was pretty cool though.

Broken Steel. Dumb and boring. Only worth getting for the extended ending/free play option. Should've been released as a free patch in my opinion.

All that said, the Pitt is the only one I've been able to play through multiple times. I just really liked the setting a whole lot. I dare say I think I like the setting more than anything the NV DLC's have done.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

The trouble with prequels is that they're pretty limited. Like, KOTOR works because you can have this big fuckoff the-galaxy-at-war thing because it's 10,000 years ago, whatever. But in Fallout you can't really have a prequel set on the west coast because you already generally know what happens on the west coast. It makes the game totally meaningless because whatever you do or don't accomplish is invalidated by the fact the Master's army is about to roll up, and if the game developers decide to make it this epic struggle (and they always do) then it makes it all the more jarring that nobody mentions said struggle in the original game.

I think it's just a matter of how it's written, really. You could start off as someone who just escaped the Master's army but whose family was captured and ended up nearby, and then spend part of the game trying to get your family back in the wastes while fighting small skirmishes with the army on the side of the resistance or something.

Or maybe even have it after the New Vegas story arc and you can be in California. It might seem done too much, but it's just how it's written. You could have the NCR be a corrupt government that's slowly working toward splitting like the Roman Empire because it's spreading too much. There's a ton of different ways you could write it using the same stuff, I think.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah, careful, GreenBuckanneer, and don't let Dead Money best you. Otherwise we'll call you a pussy like we called Kharmakazy a pussy. :clint:

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

JawKnee posted:

This is my problem with Raul; I loved adventuring with him, but having to finish up Black Mountain to do it is a pain.

Agreed. Even if BM can be cheesed a couple of ways, it's unfortunate that the companion there couldn't be someone more disposable like Lily, but had to instead be the guy who has the best stories in the entire wasteland. I don't get to hear them often enough :smith:

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Gamestop is selling the download version of Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition for $10.19. This requires the Gamestop App, yet still needs Steam to activate. :confused:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I just started New Vegas a few days ago, my first game in the Fallout series. I'm really enjoying it thus far. I decided to go Legion because I love Roman-flavor stuff and I am racist against robots.

I noticed last night that your followers can activate NPC flavor text as well. It's so cute to see Legionaries looking down at Rex and telling him to be true to Caesar. :3:

Racist against robots...and yet a cyborg dog...:confused:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

D34THROW posted:

Racist against robots...and yet a cyborg dog...:confused:

If you talk to Rex you can examine him and find a Legion Bull painted on his side.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

FauxGateau posted:

Oh dude no matter what you do at the end of Cass's quest the Van Graff's will either be hostile or dead. Preferably dead (after getting the evidence of course). Because then Cass will get both perks and keep them. Oddly reflecting my own indecisive nature.

This was one of the "fixes" patched in that I did not like. There was absolutely no reason for the Van Graffs to know that you had turned in the evidence, this is even supported in the story by the line about how it could be months before it was acted on. If getting both perks for Cass was so game-breaking, couldn't they have made the perks mutually exclusive so you only get the first one?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wasn't mean to him but apparently the only option available to me is to kill dean :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wasn't mean to him but apparently the only option available to me is to kill dean :(

Dead Money spoilers: If I remember right, if you succeed an early speech check against Dean_____ then he won't trust you no matter what, because he knows you're a smooth talker and won't take anything you say at your word.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you pass the barter check the first time you meet him he wont be very happy, but he wont say anything initially.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

If you pass the barter check the first time you meet him he wont be very happy, but he wont say anything initially.

That's really weird. Are there any other times you get punished for succeeding at a skill check?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kharmakazy posted:

That's really weird. Are there any other times you get punished for succeeding at a skill check?

It's fairly obvious which speech checks will piss him off down the line, when in doubt, make sure to massage his ego as much as possible. Threatening him or out-leveraging him (in barter checks) will not go down well.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Kharmakazy posted:

How is getting to put. two .308 rounds through his stupid face punishment!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kharmakazy posted:

I thought it was a really neat twist on succeeding a speech check always getting you optimal results. For a character like that, having somebody come along and out-talk/out-trade/out-think them would instantly set off alarm bells that this person was a threat to them.

I think there's another thing like that with Arcade, where if you've got a particularly low intelligence you can fail a speech check to get him to become your companion, and he'll take pity on you and join up just because he can't in good conscience let somebody as stupid as you out in the world on your own.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 18, 2012

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
This most recently playthrough, Dean was the only one who didn't hate me. Christine wanted me dead (partly because I fumbled my way through talking to her with no subtitles) and Dog got put down because he never shut the gently caress up.

Dean helped me through the theater, told me about how the elevator lock worked then got impaled with a knife-spear. Legion, bitch :black101:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I know it's been said multiple times before, but I am currently how overpowered melee/unarmed can be. Add the Logan's Loophole Trait so that you're chemmed to high hell, and you're a god-like stabbing machine...

It's even more entertaining when you make Brock Samson during the character creation.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dr.Smasher posted:

I know it's been said multiple times before, but I am currently how overpowered melee/unarmed can be. Add the Logan's Loophole Trait so that you're chemmed to high hell, and you're a god-like stabbing machine...

It's even more entertaining when you make Brock Samson during the character creation.

I think you accidentally a word.

Niggard of Oz
Jan 24, 2011

It's a NIGGER joke,
You Faggot's!
The Pitt was good, great atmosphere, and the first time I was actually challenged in over 100 hours of play (those naked scourge dudes hit me hard) and it gives you the best drat weapon in the game if want to play out of VATS and in 3rd person. Soon as I got that 7 beam laser rifle (forgot what it's called) the game played like a nice 3rd person arcade shooter. That gun is terrible in VATS though, for some reason the spread gets ridiculous.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

This was one of the "fixes" patched in that I did not like. There was absolutely no reason for the Van Graffs to know that you had turned in the evidence, this is even supported in the story by the line about how it could be months before it was acted on. If getting both perks for Cass was so game-breaking, couldn't they have made the perks mutually exclusive so you only get the first one?

They wanted to but due to how companion perks work the first perk (Calm Heart) gets taken off but the HP remains, and then adds Heart of Vengeance. What you could do however is remove Alice and the Van Graffs from their locations after you turn in evidence. Call it being 'retired.'

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

OldMemes posted:

But if House programmed Victor, how does that work? The Old World flag could imply that Ulysses lived there, but he's already got Wolfhorn Ranch as his abandoned home. I guess sitting on a cliff moping about philosophy is more fun.

I actually kinda like Victor. He's a bit creepy with his overly friendly manner, but it is nice to see a friendly face as you make the journey to the strip for first time. And he implies that House does have a sense of humour. He might be to the point and business-like, but to me, the snowglobes, his creation of the Mr. New Vegas AI, and the unique Securitrons hints that he has a more creative side.

That, and he seems to warm to the Courier, and treat them with more respect as the game progresses - I do like House's character, and it dissapoints me a little to blow him up if I need to progress the other plots.

Yes Man, on the other hand, creeps me out somethig fierce.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't know what the hell happened to my post.

Anyway, why do people keep saying Mr. New Vegas is an AI that House made. It's never said in the game, is it? As far as I can tell it's just on the wiki.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

LividLiquid posted:

Anyway, why do people keep saying Mr. New Vegas is an AI that House made. It's never said in the game, is it? As far as I can tell it's just on the wiki.

They mentioned it in the promo materials.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

LividLiquid posted:

The developers said it in some interviews that Mr. New Vegas is an AI and was programmed before the nuclear shenanigans happened.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I thought it was a really neat twist on succeeding a speech check always getting you optimal results. For a character like that, having somebody come along and out-talk/out-trade/out-think them would instantly set off alarm bells that this person was a threat to them.

I think there's another thing like that with Arcade, where if you've got a particularly low intelligence you can fail a speech check to get him to become your companion, and he'll take pity on you and join up just because he can't in good conscience let somebody as stupid as you out in the world on your own.

That's just a low intelligence speech check, part of bringing back the dumb dialogue options from the first two games. Off the top of my head, you can also get a discount on the intelligence implant if you ask about selling plants, and bypass the robots in Repconn HQ by guessing the password. (ICE CREAM!:downs:)

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

thrakkorzog posted:

That's just a low intelligence speech check, part of bringing back the dumb dialogue options from the first two games. Off the top of my head, you can also get a discount on the intelligence implant if you ask about selling plants, and bypass the robots in Repconn HQ by guessing the password. (ICE CREAM!:downs:)

I hope the next game brings those back for the whole game. They won't, and I understand why.. but I can still hope.

Now I want to play arcanum again for the idiot dialogues..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Does the thread feel poorly about fan-art stuff? Because I thought this was loving hilarious.