Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

General_Failure posted:

there is one thing that occurred to me. Suppose for whatever reason something goes awry with an update. How do you recover from that? Does it have the equivalent of whatever that ROM backup is that some PCs have? Or perhaps a working USB stack to allow re-flashing from a PC?

Just a genuine question. Besides custom ROMs or whatever I've had to reflash once after an update caused a phone to get stuck in an infinite boot loop that nothing else could solve. How do the Nexus and other such things deal with this scenario?

Pretty much every device should be able to enter fastboot mode via USB where you can flash images. This way you can revert back to stock if you mess something up, or flash custom Roms if you've done all the hoop jumping for your device.

Also the storage is mounted to /sdcard which is where sdcards are usually mounted. Roms usually touch /system only, and /data and /cache usually need to be cleared. So /sdcard is preserved unless things go terribly terribly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Anyone else feel that the Nexus 7 case from the Play Store seems...lack luster? I'm also having a hard time hitting the power/vol buttons on the side as they're covered by the rubber, but this could be my bitch fingers.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BoyBlunder posted:

Anyone else feel that the Nexus 7 case from the Play Store seems...lack luster? I'm also having a hard time hitting the power/vol buttons on the side as they're covered by the rubber, but this could be my bitch fingers.

No one else has one.

How does it latch closed and are there magnets involved at all?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Frozen-Solid posted:

Definitely check out Google's My Tracks for mapping your trips. I use it for bike rides and it's really awesome.

I'll have to check that out tonight, see if I can precache topographic data.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was going to come in and rage post that the touchscreen is unresponsive and lovely but I installed a system update and restarted and everything seems smooth as butter now.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
So what, Calibre won't recognise my Nexus 7?

I could move files over manually, but that sort of defeats the purpose of a library management program.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this the case?

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Anyone else have concerns about the serial number sticker? I almost ripped it off because I thought it was just the FCC stuff. I still ripped it off and stuck it to a slice of plastic from the unit itself and stuck it in the N7 box.

I hope this isn't another T Prime serial number issue.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

averox posted:

Anyone else have concerns about the serial number sticker? I almost ripped it off because I thought it was just the FCC stuff. I still ripped it off and stuck it to a slice of plastic from the unit itself and stuck it in the N7 box.

I hope this isn't another T Prime serial number issue.

They still put the serial number on a god drat sticker?!?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Slo-Tek posted:

So what, Calibre won't recognise my Nexus 7?

I could move files over manually, but that sort of defeats the purpose of a library management program.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this the case?

Calibre would have to support MTP. No nexus device on 4.x works with USB mass storage.

Edit: Serial number is available from the system menus, why do you want it on the device itself?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 17, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

They still put the serial number on a god drat sticker?!?

Yes, and what's better is the serial number reported in the Settings screen is not the same as the serial number printed on the label.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Yes, and what's better is the serial number reported in the Settings screen is not the same as the serial number printed on the label.

I just don't even know where to start here.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

Calibre would have to support MTP. No nexus device on 4.x works with USB mass storage.

Edit: Serial number is available from the system menus, why do you want it on the device itself?

Serial number sticker on the device is required for warranty through asus.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Mine came off immediately... oh boy.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

bull3964 posted:

Man. I realize it's some kind of mandated "elegant solution" from a very important Google engineering team but gently caress not having expandable storage and gently caress not being able to see your device from your computer. I can't imagine this is a benefit to the consumer at all.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Don Lapre posted:

Is warranty handled through Asus or Google? Does it matter where you buy it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Mine came off immediately... oh boy.

Maybe they have changed it but i remember some prime users having issues

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Is warranty handled through Asus or Google? Does it matter where you buy it?

For what its worth, someone on XDA said they called google and were told devices bought through google will have warranties handled through google, everyone else has to go through asus directly.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

n/m

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I feel like this should be the thread title.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

golgo13sf posted:

I just don't even know where to start here.

Nexus.txt

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

There's a serial number sticker in the warranty booklet.

Edit: and on the box that contains the warranty booklet.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 17, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Wait, what? There's a software accessible serial number on the nexus 7 tablet that differs from a physical sticker serial number, and you need the latter to get warranty support? It's not even engraved or anything and can just slide or peel off?

:stare: what possible reason could there be for this? Two serial numbers for a device? One being un-losable but also useless. One easily lost but critical for warranty repair or support?

randyest fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 17, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

Man. I realize it's some kind of mandated "elegant solution" from a very important Google engineering team but gently caress not having expandable storage and gently caress not being able to see your device from your computer. I can't imagine this is a benefit to the consumer at all.

You can see the device just fine from the computer, it just uses MTP instead of USB mass storage.

This is a 6 month old argument now (over a year if you want to include Honeycomb devices) so there's not much more ground to cover about it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Don Lapre posted:

For what its worth, someone on XDA said they called google and were told devices bought through google will have warranties handled through google, everyone else has to go through asus directly.

If that's true, then everyone who bought theirs directly from Google shouldn't feel too bad about having to pay for shipping.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

I just use the Kindle app and use Calibre to send the files directly to the device. Alternatively use Aldiko or some other reader that works with OPDS servers and use Calibre's built in OPDS server, put it on Dropbox for extra points.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If that's true, then everyone who bought theirs directly from Google shouldn't feel too bad about having to pay for shipping.
That makes me feel so much better.

/looksatemptyinboxwithnoshippingnotification

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
At what point do people stop buying from a company like Asus?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I suppose Google's "we're going to muddle through this as best as we can because we still don't 'get' direct-to-consumer service" is preferable to Asus' "our RMA mailroom intern smashes one out of every five packages to come in the door."

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

computers posted:

At what point do people stop buying from a company like Asus?

Right after they stop buying from Samsung

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

No one else has one.

How does it latch closed and are there magnets involved at all?

It doesn't really latch, it just falls into place because of the binding. No magnets involved, sadly. The screen stays on. Definitely not a smart cover.

I will definitely be getting a new case once people start making accessories for this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

All your poo poo is in one place and you don't have to be worried about being "out of storage" because the device manufacturer gave it a system partition that is barely big enough for the OS plus the Facebook app and nothing else. Those are pretty huge benefits, if you ask me.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Despite thinking they're a bit overpriced, I've always loved the look and feel of the Speck fabric covers for Apple devices. Especially the Burton collaborations. I received a reply from them today that they will be making Nexus 7 cases, and to stay tuned. That's enough to make me wait before purchasing anything else.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Has anyone received their $25 google play for their Nexus 7? I got my device in today, but I still am not seeing a way to pay for stuff on the play store.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

IT Guy posted:

You guys that already have your Nexus 7's, are you experiencing the issue where the sides are coming apart?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus7/comments/wkyg5/the_left_side_of_the_screen_isnt_fully_stuck_to/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28712748#post28712748

According to some XDA posting, apparently Google knows of this and wanted those first batch N7s to be delayed.

edit: Beaten.

Edit2: or not, misread a post.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 17, 2012

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I just use the Kindle app and use Calibre to send the files directly to the device. Alternatively use Aldiko or some other reader that works with OPDS servers and use Calibre's built in OPDS server, put it on Dropbox for extra points.

Ok, I'm not too familiar with calibre or android devices generally. With my kindle, I plug it in, and it says "here are the books on your kindle, here are the books in your calibre library, click anything you want different" and I can handle that.

So, when you say "use calibre to send files directly to the device, walk me through that. When I right-click on a book and hit "send to device" it doesn't show up as a valid option.

Or tell me more about opds servers, if that is easier.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

According to some XDA posting
The size of the salt grain boulder I've got here is considerable.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Tempted by this case if I ever get my Nexus:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008GM3S9O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A2CODDGMAUR50T

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Optimus Subprime posted:

Has anyone received their $25 google play for their Nexus 7? I got my device in today, but I still am not seeing a way to pay for stuff on the play store.

The second I activated my Nexus 7 I got an e-mail from them saying that I had a $25 credit to my account and to select it on checkout in the play store.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The size of the salt grain boulder I've got here is considerable.

Yeah, but honestly, that's the most believable post I've ever seen on XDA. Ever.

I mean, I'd expect first batch devices to have some problems anyway. Didn't the Prime have problems with the first batch (and possibly the second)?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

FWIW, I do notice that the left side of my screen to feel a little looser/more depressable than the right side, but I don't know if its a design issue or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, but honestly, that's the most believable post I've ever seen on XDA. Ever.

I mean, I'd expect first batch devices to have some problems anyway. Didn't the Prime have problems with the first batch (and possibly the second)?

This?:

quote:

I just spoke with a Tier 2 Google rep who told me a couple very interesting things. The first is that a software glitch and screen problem have been discovered in the early run of the Nexus 7s, and that the initial devices that 'got out' are going to have a couple of serious issues regarding wifi, as well as glue holding the screen to the body that, in some cases, is causing the screen to actually lift off and separate from the main tablet. They have recalled most of the first wave, and they already have another run in place that corrects the issues. The devices will still be shipped out next week. For those of you (un)lucky enough to have gotten yours early, you may be in for a nasty surprise.

Also, apparently Google is none-too-pleased with the contents of this thread, and will be pursuing action of some sort against the Ronald-McDonald-Cat-QTip-Raping-Whiney-A$$es posting about Google's inability to fold space and time to make the current date and time be 'Mid July', as originally promised.

Yeah, ok. That first part was complete bulls$hit. But I swear that the second part was true. Honest.
Really? The post that says right in it that it is actual bullshit is the most believable to you?