Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

signalnoise posted:

I am looking for items averaging 3 dollars that are somewhat interesting and will fit inside a 4"x4" box. I'm having a christmas-themed wedding and for our wedding favors, everyone is getting a tiny christmas gift and I want the stuff to be instantly useable in some way and not just a piece of garbage from a dollar store. I'm looking for stuff that will draw a "Oh what did YOU get?!?" response from people at the table talking to each other. The best I've found so far is stuff at Thinkgeek.com on clearance, but there are only like 5 items there. We've got about 100 people invited.

Small soap samples (lots of places on sites like Etsy for those)
Those small versions of Sharpies, in different colors
Fortune cookies
These tiny champagne bubble bottles are neat
Lip balms or chapsticks in different flavors
Tiny candles like these
Small photo frames
Cookie cutters

Most of these ideas are better if you're putting multiple items in each box, though.

Pretty Pretty Pony has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Jul 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

signalnoise posted:

I am looking for items averaging 3 dollars that are somewhat interesting and will fit inside a 4"x4" box. I'm having a christmas-themed wedding and for our wedding favors, everyone is getting a tiny christmas gift and I want the stuff to be instantly useable in some way and not just a piece of garbage from a dollar store. I'm looking for stuff that will draw a "Oh what did YOU get?!?" response from people at the table talking to each other. The best I've found so far is stuff at Thinkgeek.com on clearance, but there are only like 5 items there. We've got about 100 people invited.

Bottle opener ring:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0019HX4RY

Charlie Foxtrot
Aug 24, 2002

Talk to the hand, cause the Receiver isn't listening.

PLaSMaN posted:

My So and i are in need of some advice, we are looking for recommendations for a lightweight stroller (the "umbrella" ones that you can fold small)

We are looking for something full featured yet small, weight insn't really a concern. Thanks !
When you say "full featured," what do you mean? Because the more features you tack onto a stroller, the bigger it is when you fold it up, and all of a sudden, it's not an umbrella stroller.

We have a MacLaren Quest, which we loved until we also got a Chicco Liteway. The Liteway can recline (the Quest we got a few years ago did not, but it seems the newer ones do), the Liteway has a detachable storage compartment that turns into a mini-backpack (why you'd want that, I don't know, but hey, it's another thing the Quest can't do, I suppose it also makes it easier to clean), and the Liteway's just a little bit tougher with bigger wheels (which detach if you really want it to get smaller). I don't have them in front of me, but I believe the fabric used with the Liteway is a little durable than the Quest as well.

Both ride very smoothly, and the smoothness is noticeable over the cheapass $20 or whatever umbrella strollers. I can barely push my kid with two hands with the cheapos, but I can push my 40-lb kid in the above two strollers easily with one hand. Neither have a kid tray or drink holder or a parent tray. So we tricked out our strollers and bought an add-on drink holder and parent tray for like $10 each.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Geoj posted:

Can someone suggest a good pair of water shoes for use in difficult terrain? My wife and I walk our dogs in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park along a stream bed between late spring and early fall. Getting into knee/waist deep water is common so waterproof hiking boots are out (and I'm not wearing waders in the middle of summer) and the bed itself consists mostly of football (and larger) sized rocks so I need something that provides more support than the average pair of aquasox.

Have you considered Vibram Five Fingers? I bought a pair specifically for running obstacle course races so they're constantly being submerged in water, mud, swamp marsh and rocky terrain and they work awesome for it. They don't really provide any kind of ankle support through so you want to be fairly sure of your footing so you'd still want to walk fairly carefully, but they're sure to keep your feet pebble free.

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Another post on this because I like the idea. Here's another site to look at: http://www.incrediblethings.com/unique-gifts/below-25

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Can anyone recommend a good cable modem and wireless router or a wireless gateway that I could use with Comcast? I want something on the cheaper side but solid quality. I'd buy it used even.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Doghouse posted:

Can anyone recommend a good cable modem and wireless router or a wireless gateway that I could use with Comcast? I want something on the cheaper side but solid quality. I'd buy it used even.

The Home Networking Megathread might be able to give you better answers!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I remember a discussion about good electric kettles, but can't seem to find it in the thread. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking in the 30-60 USD range.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

1redflag posted:

I remember a discussion about good electric kettles, but can't seem to find it in the thread. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking in the 30-60 USD range.

This one on Amazon is really cheap and my boyfriend and I have had it for a long while with no issues. Heats up water pretty quick and keeps it hot for a long time.

The only downside is that refilling it can be a bit awkward because of the location of the handle.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

1redflag posted:

This is the one everyone recommends and I have personally bought, but it was only $80 at the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPK...nart+perfectemp

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

kloa posted:

This is the one everyone recommends and I have personally bought, but it was only $80 at the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPK...nart+perfectemp

Wow, that looks like it has a great deal more functionality than I require. I just want something to make a quick cup of tea instead of using my gas range.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I just talked a friend of mine out of the Cuisinart one and into this one at Target for $40.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Can anyone in this thread recommend a decent white noise machine? I can't stand my neighbor's television sound anymore.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

the black husserl posted:

Can anyone in this thread recommend a decent white noise machine? I can't stand my neighbor's television sound anymore.
have you tried telling them to shut the gently caress up? If that hasn't worked, you have lots of options to generate noise. You can find what you need in iPhone apps, as computer software, it really depends on what you want to use.

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
Any good weekly planner recommendations? I already know about Moleskines, but I was curious if there was anything else out there.

sultan_of_bling
Apr 30, 2006
Huh?

I had the same issue recently - tried a few different options but the best I found was this: http://www.amazon.com/Conditioner-Marpac-formerly-Sleepmate-980A/dp/B000KUHFGM/.

Instead of just playing a noise track it uses an actual fan (or something like that) inside the device to create the noise. They have a one and a two speed model and there are two moveable plastic pieces on the housing that allow you to change the pitch and... intensity is the best word I can think of... of the noise.

The only downside is that now it's really difficult to sleep without it!

sultan_of_bling has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Jul 14, 2012

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

If you have a computer nearby with decent speakers, use simplynoise.com. I use it in hotel rooms with no good white noise and it works great.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

sultan_of_bling posted:

I had the same issue recently - tried a few different options but the best I found was this: http://www.amazon.com/Conditioner-Marpac-formerly-Sleepmate-980A/dp/B000KUHFGM/.

Instead of just playing a noise track it uses an actual fan (or something like that) inside the device to create the noise. They have a one and a two speed model and there are two moveable plastic pieces on the housing that allow you to change the pitch and... intensity is the best word I can think of... of the noise.

The only downside is that now it's really difficult to sleep without it!

I had ordered this and I could not stand the mechanical whirling noise it produced. I even replaced it three times to try and make it work. :(

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Etrips posted:

I had ordered this and I could not stand the mechanical whirling noise it produced. I even replaced it three times to try and make it work. :(

Isn't that what it is supposed to do?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can build you a silent white noise machine if you'd like.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Isn't that what it is supposed to do?

I was expecting more of a whirling noise like one being created by a fan in my house. However all the machines we got all produced the fan noise mentioned PLUS an undesirable mechanical whirling. Not really sure how to describe it.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Etrips posted:

I was expecting more of a whirling noise like one being created by a fan in my house. However all the machines we got all produced the fan noise mentioned PLUS an undesirable mechanical whirling. Not really sure how to describe it.

Just get a fan?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Gism0 posted:

Just get a fan?

Fan is pretty counter intuitive during the winter! During the rest of the season I do use a fan.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Etrips posted:

Fan is pretty counter intuitive during the winter! During the rest of the season I do use a fan.

Turn it to face the wall.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Get a decent air cleaner and leave it on at high/medium/low depending on desired noise. Then you get clean air and white noise.

It'll cost like $100-150 for nice good one, but it's multi-purpose and for permanent filters there's no expense other than electricity.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Anyone have any recs for a good bedframe? Looking for something running less than $300 that is pretty quiet if I am moving around on it.

Something pretty sturdy is what I am looking for.

Thanks!

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
I am in need of an inexpensive
memory foam mattress. Looking to spend under $400. Thanks!

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

The Light Eternal posted:

I am in need of an inexpensive
memory foam mattress. Looking to spend under $400. Thanks!

I bought this one about a month ago and I love it! Kick rear end price and a mattress on Prime? Hell yeah.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Senf posted:

I bought this one about a month ago and I love it! Kick rear end price and a mattress on Prime? Hell yeah.

What did you put it on? Not just the ground, right?

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

Senf posted:

Oh man that's perfect, thanks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm looking to drop my cable but I want to get an antenna so I can still get the local ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX affiliates. I'm on the ground floor of my apartment, and while I have a back patio it's surrounded on three sides (not including the side that is my apartment) by trees or other apartments. The affiliates for the area are all ~50 miles away too, so combining those I need something with some power and probably something designed to be indoors. Is there a go-to antenna or brand for this sort of setup? A friend of mine is also shopping around and said that this antenna from Mohu is pretty popular (though he doesn't own one), and $38 seems pretty fair considering I'll be saving about twice that every month if I drop my cable. How much of an HD signal can you even get over-the-air? Enough for a 16:9 aspect ratio at least?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This one is pretty great. I get full HD through it.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

C-Euro posted:

I'm looking to drop my cable but I want to get an antenna so I can still get the local ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX affiliates. I'm on the ground floor of my apartment, and while I have a back patio it's surrounded on three sides (not including the side that is my apartment) by trees or other apartments. The affiliates for the area are all ~50 miles away too, so combining those I need something with some power and probably something designed to be indoors. Is there a go-to antenna or brand for this sort of setup? A friend of mine is also shopping around and said that this antenna from Mohu is pretty popular (though he doesn't own one), and $38 seems pretty fair considering I'll be saving about twice that every month if I drop my cable. How much of an HD signal can you even get over-the-air? Enough for a 16:9 aspect ratio at least?
Honestly you can just leave the coax screwed in and get this that way. Theoretically, the cable companies are supposed to pipe those through unscrambled.

sultan_of_bling
Apr 30, 2006
Huh?

C-Euro posted:

Before you buy anything I would check http://www.antennaweb.org - you can put in your address and it will tell you where to point your antenna for optimal results and give you information about all the different signals that may be available to you.

SuicideDrink
Mar 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

My sister used it and liked it enough to recommend it to me. I bought a couple, but since I haven't been booted off my analog signal, never bothered switching to it. I gave one to my girlfriend and she thinks it's great. From what I've seen, it's better than the rabbit ears she was using before. You need to keep it in the window tho. Not sure about the aspect ratio, but it looks high def at least.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

What did you put it on? Not just the ground, right?

I'm not loving trash, no :colbert: I have a decent wooden frame but it's nothing too terribly sturdy (Ikea-brand), so I wouldn't really recommend it if that's what he's looking for.

Oh man that's perfect, thanks.

:c00lbert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the feedback y'all.

Honestly you can just leave the coax screwed in and get this that way. Theoretically, the cable companies are supposed to pipe those through unscrambled.

Not sure what you mean by this since everything in my setup is run through HDMI cables (AT&T U-Verse). You mean that if I leave everything plugged in, I'll still get local channels even if I've cancelled service?

sultan_of_bling posted:

Before you buy anything I would check http://www.antennaweb.org - you can put in your address and it will tell you where to point your antenna for optimal results and give you information about all the different signals that may be available to you.

I'm not so sure about that, someone else pointed me to http://www.antennapoint.com/ and the local affiliates are some 50 miles away, they don't even show up when I search on the site you gave me. Since they're a little farther away (and since I'll most likely mount the antenna inside) I'm looking for something strong.

SuicideDrink posted:

My sister used it and liked it enough to recommend it to me. I bought a couple, but since I haven't been booted off my analog signal, never bothered switching to it. I gave one to my girlfriend and she thinks it's great. From what I've seen, it's better than the rabbit ears she was using before. You need to keep it in the window tho. Not sure about the aspect ratio, but it looks high def at least.

What do you mean by keeping it in a window? On a window, or near one? My TV's next to a sliding glass door (out to my back porch) so I could stick it on the wall next to that, but there wouldn't be a clear path from the antenna out that door/window. There's a window on the other side of the room but I wouldn't really count it as near my TV.

VV Well shoot, the door to the back porch slides away from the TV, not towards it :(

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Jul 19, 2012

SuicideDrink
Mar 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

What do you mean by keeping it in a window? On a window, or near one? My TV's next to a sliding glass door (out to my back porch) so I could stick it on the wall next to that, but there wouldn't be a clear path from the antenna out that door/window. There's a window on the other side of the room but I wouldn't really count it as near my TV.

Between putting it directly on the glass and behind the blinds, the glass got great reception and the blinds got terrible reception.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
What would be a good choice for a set of headphones at around the $150 price range? Having an attached microphone would be a bonus but it is sound quality I am most concerned about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Thanks for the feedback y'all.

Not sure what you mean by this since everything in my setup is run through HDMI cables (AT&T U-Verse). You mean that if I leave everything plugged in, I'll still get local channels even if I've cancelled service?

Ok take the coaxial cable plugged into the cable box and screw it into your TV. I forgot about cable boxes.

• Locked thread