Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Just picked up Oblivion with all expansions from the steam sale, its my first Elder scrolls game so pretty excited.

Asides from that, is there anything I should know?

Honestly, get over to the modding thread first and get an overhaul mod. The gameplay itself is horribly broken, but once you fix that it's a fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm going to disagree and argue that the overhaul mods aren't as vital as some people claim they are. As long as your character has and uses its combat skills on a regular basis, you won't be outclassed. Fundamentally, Oblivion is a game where a decent percentage of the practical gameplay has bad guys coming at you and wanting to hurt you. This isn't Planescape Torment Of Someone Who Likes The Sound Of His Own Writing.

Some people just have a hardon for playing super-sneaky pacifists.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I'm going to disagree and argue that the overhaul mods aren't as vital as some people claim they are. As long as your character has and uses its combat skills on a regular basis, you won't be outclassed. Fundamentally, Oblivion is a game where a decent percentage of the practical gameplay has bad guys coming at you and wanting to hurt you. This isn't Planescape Torment Of Someone Who Likes The Sound Of His Own Writing.

Thats the opposite problem that occurs in oblivion though? Enemy levels and skill is based on your skill. If what you use all the time never makes you level you'll stay stronger then the enemies by virtue of having gotten stronger without increasing their strength. If you play sword and board paladin for instance and level, its very likely most fights will be reduced to slow, horrible slogs of health attrition where before it was enjoyable quick fights.

This of course also glosses over that the leveling system only allows you to improve 3 core stats each time you level but only for values between +1-+5 and it doesn't store any reserves for later use. These + skill modifiers are tied to your skills which means should you skip leveling a stat on a level up you will never get that point back. God forbid you reach the next level by doing different things because you'll end up with 4 or 5 +1 or +2s which not only waste stats but makes you weaker relative to enemies when you do level. So even assuming you want to level you basically have to plot it out and never deviate or you end up crippling yourself.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Thing is, it's very easy to take a mix of combat and non-combat skills, then end up gaining a few levels in non-combat skills (hey, I just reached a big city, I'll spend a while stealing poo poo and brewing potions), and now suddenly all the enemies have leveled up along with you but you're no more combat effective than you were.

Now, granted, Oblivion is not a very hard game so it's not like you're inescapably hosed, but it does make combat more tedious and/or quickload-heavy.

On the flip side, if you're leveling in nothing but combat skills - or raising your combat skills without leveling - combat quickly becomes a cakewalk. The whole idea of "scale combat difficulty to the character's level" is completely hosed in Oblivion because the character's level doesn't necessarily have any relationship to their combat effectiveness.

And this doesn't even get into the absurdity of having THE TERRIBLE THREAT OF THE ARMIES OF OBLIVION consisting of like one scamp and two low-level Dremora when you enter your first Oblivion Gate, or high-level bandits showing up with enough high-end gear that they could sell it and retire to a mansion on the coast if they weren't coded to suicidally attack you at every opportunity.

Morrowind kind of had the beginnings of this issue, but in Morrowind most enemies weren't scaled at all, so it was only random encounters that suffered from this. In Oblivion everything is scaled and the problems are much more obvious as a result.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Thats the opposite problem that occurs in oblivion though? Enemy levels and skill is based on your skill. If what you use all the time never makes you level you'll stay stronger then the enemies by virtue of having gotten stronger without increasing their strength. If you play sword and board paladin for instance and level, its very likely most fights will be reduced to slow, horrible slogs of health attrition where before it was enjoyable quick fights.

Never had a problem like that at all. If I built a class with basic combat skills, I got stronger over time and the levelling of enemies kept things interesting without being too difficult.

Also, I reject the notion that you had to plot anything out, lest you cripple yourself. Bad builds, not bad design, is what I'm saying.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You don't have to plot anything out to succeed, but its definitely a poorly designed leveling system to the extent that it led to a complete overhaul for skyrim

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I played a pure mage my first time and around the teens I found myself overwhelmed by enemies with high resistances that overpowered every spell. This was before I finished the archmage quests because I was doing the main plot but having to go through a long trek to access to spell creation is another strike on the "poorly designed" board. It's difficult to totally gimp yourself but it's not uncommon to have a tougher time than other characters because what you created isn't optimal. It's a horrible system regardless and I would have welcomed an alternative at launch.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
It's bad design dude. Some areas (Kvatch) get way tougher than they're supposed to be if you level too much.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Out of the box, Oblivion is a pretty bad game. I did sink about 200 hours into vanilla before I started modding the poo poo out of it, though. Bethesda is still pretty good about creating immersive worlds and games, as unexciting as TES4 was.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Oblivionpost!

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Just picked up Oblivion with all expansions from the steam sale, its my first Elder scrolls game so pretty excited.

Asides from that, is there anything I should know?

- Factions offer some very good freebies for new characters. The Arena faction in the Imperial City will give you free sets of enchanted heavy/light armor. The Mage's Guild will weigh you down with scrolls and potions when they ask you to run some jobs for them. The Dark Brotherhood aka the Assassin Guild will give you one of the best vanilla armor sets in the game for a stealth character. But the Thieves' Guild, which you can join by reading a Gray Fox poster somewhere in the Imperial City then searching the Waterfront District at night for a man named Armand Christophe, is the most useful as it will allow you to sell stolen goods.

- Making a circuit of the road around the Imperial City will open up some good intro quests for you. The village N of the city, Aleswell, will provide you with free room and board if you can fix their invisibility problem. The fisherman near Weye's Inn will reward you with a Waterbreathing Ring if you kill some slaughterfish for him.

- At first, disease will be a constant in most dungeons so be prepared. Bring Resist/Cure potions or learn the Cure Disease spell. It can really destroy you if you're not ready, and it's not feasible to return to town to get restored at the altar each time you get hit with it.

- Make sure you have some method of restoring attributes on the fly, primarily Strength, Intelligence, Endurance and Speed. All of those will often get drained or damaged by enemies, and they can severely impact your combat skills, depending on what class you are. You can accomplish this via potions or spells, but constantly trudging back to the altar in town will soon become annoying. If you plan on using Restoration for this, invest early as it levels up extremely slowly and Restore Attribute spells are both expensive, difficult to find for purchase, and usually for Journeyman level and above.

- Always keep a silver or magical weapon on you. Some monsters (like ghosts) will be immune to normal weapons, so you’ll need a silver or magically enchanted weapon to hurt them. Keep in mind that if you have a magic weapon with no charge, it will still bypass their damage resistance. Eventually, Daedric weapons will also do the trick, but you won’t run into those until level 18+.

- You may wish to hold off on the main quest...indefinitely. When you leave the tutorial sewers the main quest will send you to Chorrol, and then to Kvatch. Visiting Kvatch triggers a world-event that persists for a very long time and is one of the most tedious aspects of the game. You can postpone it as long as you like by simply never visiting Kvatch. Beyond even the leveling issue, the world-event is just repetitive and annoying and tends to get in the way of whatever else you're trying to do in the game.

- Keep an eye out for daedric statues in the wilderness. Each one will have a pretty involved quest that usually comes with a unique reward. The quests are all level-restricted and you need a specific offering for each statue, but you can usually talk to one of the supplicants nearby to get that info. Azura's quest will reward you with a re-usable soul gem.

- The best way to get people to talk to you is through bribes, especially with a low speechcraft/personality/illusion score. If someone has more to say about a topic, the topic will remain gold, and you'll usually need to raise their disposition above 70 or so before they'll tell you everything. At higher character levels and at dispositions above 70, bribes produce diminishing returns (several hundred in gold in exchange for only a point or two increase in disposition) so you might want to ensure your illusion skill is journeyman or above before this happens. Then you switch to charm and forget about bribing ever again.

- If you back away as your enemy swings at you, he’ll miss and stumble. This will provide a better opportunity for you to attack than if you’d stood still and taken the blow, or even blocked it with your shield. You can also block without a shield, although it won't be as effective. Also, it's most effective to only block when you see the enemy move to strike instead of continually blocking.

- Your attacks will do less damage if your weapons are not at full health. Be sure to repair on the fly as much as possible. A general rule of thumb is to check your gear after every second or third fight (unless you’re killing rats, or sneak-killing enemies in one hit).

- You can ride horses that aren't yours as long as no one sees you get on. So if you have a high sneak skill, or hit up the local stables at night, the odds are good that you can find an isolated horse that no one's watching and just get on. You'll sometimes even see unattended horses outside of small inns or just roaming free in the wilderness because their rider has been killed. There's no reason NOT to steal these horses if no one's around. You can ride right past Imperial Guards and they won't say a word. You'll only have to worry about two things: (1) where you "park" the horse, because if you leave it in front of someone, you won't be able to re-mount the horse until they leave, and (2) how long you leave the horse unattended, since stolen horses have a tendency to wander away a minute or two after you dismount, meaning that if you go into a dungeon your stolen horse will likely be long gone by the time you get out.

MisterBibs posted:

Never had a problem like that at all. If I built a class with basic combat skills, I got stronger over time and the levelling of enemies kept things interesting without being too difficult.

Also, I reject the notion that you had to plot anything out, lest you cripple yourself. Bad builds, not bad design, is what I'm saying.

This is not good information and will only confuse new players. It's possible to enjoy or even be successful at a broken game, but that doesn't change the fact that the game itself is broken. The problems with Oblivion's leveling system are absolutely not a matter of builds, either. Can you support that statement?

Because design-wise, here's why Oblivion is broken: monsters get stronger when you level up, but monster progress is automated to maximize resilience and damage output. Player characters, on the other hand, can split their skill/ability increases in a dozen different ways, only a handful of which grant any increased ability in combat. This is less-pronounced in melee-heavy classes, as you mentioned, but especially problematic for ranged- and magic-classes.

Compounding the problem of monster progression is the fact that maximizing gains during player levelup is only possible through heavy micromanagement of all skill increases.* Again, in a melee-focused class, this problem is less apparent. As you've pointed out, melee skills are almost vital for survival, and they are all that a frontline fighter class needs to worry about. You use a primary attack to kill things, and in doing so are able to do more damage. You use block to resist attacks, and in doing so become hardier. But melee skills only account for a third of the skills in the game. So a mage, who also needs to sink time and effort into spellcasting, which won't make him any more resilient or vital, will only become easier to kill as the game progresses. Granted, he might do a smidge more damage, but it's a sad truth that a level 1 mage in Oblivion is a much better match for his environment than a level 30 mage. That smidge of extra damage isn't going to be worth much against foes who have been pumping nothing but Strength and Endurance for the past 29 levels.

Yes, you can play a melee brawler who specializes in one kind of combat and who only puts points into those skills/attributes as well. And yes, come level 30 or so you might still be able to take on most foes. But Oblivion purports to offer a wide selection of player classes. What about every one of the dozen other gameplay styles that don't place a 100% focus on combat? After about 10 levels, they'll be left out in the cold and torn to pieces by even similarly-leveled foes. The worst part is that it isn't a problem that the player can fix by reloading and trying a different strategy. They'll have to sacrifice all the time invested in that character and start from close to scratch.

So no, it's not a matter of builds. Most of the builds in the base game will screw the player over in the long-run, and the game gives no indication that characters who don't maximize their strength/endurance every level will eventually be outpaced by monsters to the point where the game becomes unplayable.

*For anyone who's interested: Players can receive 3 bonuses to their attributes at level-up, but the "best" bonuses to those attributes will only be available if they concentrated their skill increases appropriately. It only takes 10 skill increases of your major skills to level up, but the best bonuses to attributes are only available if you have earned 10 increases in the appropriate skills.

So leveling "normally" means you'd only ever get 1 good bonus out of a potential 3, and that's only if all 10 of those increases were in skills governed by the same attribute. Which means that to get 3 great bonuses per level, you'll need to accumulate at least 30 skill increases spread out across your major and minor skills. Not only do you need to accumulate triple the amount of skill increases needed per level, you need to monitor them closely to ensure that 1. they're all in skills governed by the desired attributes, 2. they're spread out in your major and minor skills, as if they're all in your major skills you'll level up before reaching 30 increases, and 3. you don't wastefully level up any undesired skills in the process, since that results in at best an insignificant skill increase but at worst the entire derailing of your planned skill increases for that level.

Again, a melee character might not notice this problem as readily. If you just take hits and kill things, you will be alright continuing to do so. But if you decide to do anything else, like learn how to pick locks or brew potions or cast spells, your ability to take hits and kill things will suffer, while the enemies' capacity for the same will only ever continue to increase.

This produces all sorts of weird poo poo, which is why people recommend during character creation that you think about what skills you'd NEVER use and make them your class skills, so that your level ups are entirely within your control. Some of the classes that the game offers are literally broken, as they concentrate too many skills linked to specific attributes in the list of class skills. A warrior who chooses ONLY warrior skills will actually never be able to be as powerful as a warrior who chooses one or two warrior skills and then only magic or only stealth skills for the rest of the list. Which is positively absurd.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Problem is, the people are asking help about Oblivion. Maybe it's just me, but I'd want tips on Oblivion, not Oblivion As Defined By Someone Else Other Than The Developers.

Astfgl posted:

Because design-wise, here's why Oblivion is broken: monsters get stronger when you level up, but monster progress is automated to maximize resilience and damage output. Player characters, on the other hand, can split their skill/ability increases in a dozen different ways, only a handful of which grant any increased ability in combat. This is less-pronounced in melee-heavy classes, as you mentioned, but especially problematic for ranged- and magic-classes.

Yes, if you actively seek to gimp your character by not allocating a modicum of combat skills, then your character has issues. Boo. Hoo.

Thing One Players Need To Learn About Oblivion: Unless specifically tailored otherwise by the specific quest, the majority of your gameplay will consist of enemies coming towards you, seeking to kill you. This is not a shocking, surprising thing. Most of your gameplay will consist of people who cannot be be bargained with, reasoned with, feel no pity, remorse, or fear. They will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

Astfgl posted:

So a mage, who also needs to sink time and effort into spellcasting, which won't make him any more resilient or vital, will only become easier to kill as the game progresses.

Thing Two Players Need To Learn About Oblivion: If someone is telling you a type of combat is unplayable, don't listen, for they didn't do it right. It's very fun and rewarding to play as a Magic character, and it's not some convoluted thing.

Astfgl posted:

But Oblivion purports to offer a wide selection of player classes.

Thing Three Players Need To Learn About Oblivion: Freedom of Choice is Freedom To Fail. Just because you can make Super Sneaky Thief Of Charming Wit doesn't mean it's going to work against a Demon Lord.

The core to having a successful character in Oblivion is something that I'm flabberghasted people have to be reminded of: Don't be an idiot, and remember that Ability To Kill Stuff is vital.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Astfgl posted:

Because design-wise, here's why Oblivion is broken: monsters get stronger when you level up, but monster progress is automated to maximize resilience and damage output.
This is good advice/warning for new players, but it's left me wondering what other advancement paths might have been possible.

I guess the most obvious one would be stealth: you spot a weak bandit and charge in to kill him, whereupon three of his buddies emerge from the bushes and pincushion you with elven arrows.

Or perhaps you find that you can no longer finance your adventuring career with alchemy, because high-level necromancers have already flooded the trade hubs with Potions of Restore Fatigue. I know that the Radiant economy stuff was badly bugged and was stripped-out before release, but a man can dream.

Or, worst of all, the Oblivion crisis goes unresolved because that one Bandit Lord that you were tasked to assasinate turns out to have a reaaally good Persuasion skill and he convinces you to become his second-in-command. Occasionally, gazing upon the wreckage and slaughter of an ambushed merchant caravan, you sense your loyalty slipping and feel a desire to desert. But then he boasts about the strength of his warband, tells you how much he admires your service, recites a bawdy joke from the Lusty Argonian Maid, and threatens to kill your family... and somehow you feel rededicated to his service.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
You don't need an overhaul mod. People who say so say it because they can't imagine going back to vanilla even though they played it that way for hours and hours. Don't mod anything except the UI out of the gate. Add other mods as you identify things you'd like to work differently. Oblivion is very much your game to shape as you see fit and if you jam a billion mods in it right away, you're playing somebody else's version of it, which isn't the right way. Your way is.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Thing Two Players Need To Learn About Oblivion: If someone is telling you a type of combat is unplayable, don't listen, for they didn't do it right. It's very fun and rewarding to play as a Magic character, and it's not some convoluted thing.

If you're trying to play as a pure mage without knowing how Oblivion calculates magic damage and magic weakness (and also know to pump alchemy sky high asap in order to make use of that knowledge) you're going to have some serious difficulty killing anything in a reasonable time later in the game. Expect to spend a lot of time casting invisibility and running away. If you are in the know, you can kill the Shivering Isle gate keeper dude in like 4-5 casts.

EDIT:

zachol posted:

Also learn how to use the console. It's pretty neat.
A thousand times this. I wish it used words rather than numbers like in Morrowind, but that's progress I suppose.

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 18, 2012

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
In general, my advice for Oblivion on the PC is to not get attached to a particular character/run, and early on find a mod that lets you skip the tutorial. It's generally best to start a new game for all but the smallest of mod changes, and if you're anything like me you'll want to try out new mods a lot.
Also learn how to use the console. It's pretty neat.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

GloomMouse posted:

If you're trying to play as a pure mage without knowing how Oblivion calculates magic damage and magic weakness (and also know to pump alchemy sky high asap in order to make use of that knowledge) you're going to have some serious difficulty killing anything in a reasonable time later in the game. Expect to spend a lot of time casting invisibility and running away. If you are in the know, you can kill the Shivering Isle gate keeper dude in like 4-5 casts.

I have no idea how Oblivion calculates magic damage and/or weakness. More to the point, I never felt I had to. Playing a pure mage was comfortable and effective as a melee character for me, in terms of killing things. And I ain't no gaming savant, for the record.

The only problem the enemies levelling up with you had in Oblivion was that everyone wound up wearing glass or Daedric. Not because it made things more difficult (As I said before, if you're having problems by that point, you gimped your character), but because it made each bandit drop a tiny fortune in and of itself.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Strongly agree with the 'get a few good UI mods and touch nothing else' school of thought

Play until something annoys you, then go find a mod to fix it (there's a mod to fix it), then go back to playing

I played hundreds of hours of Oblivion and loved it, with very, very carefully selected mods to suit my tastes (which is how everyone ends up over time)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

victrix posted:

Strongly agree with the 'get a few good UI mods and touch nothing else' school of thought

Get UI mods and a leveling overhaul (just that, not one of the big overhauls; my preferred levelling mod was OblivionXP) then add actual gameplay changes as necessary.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

OSheaman posted:

I am ashamed to admit I've never played BioShock before. What should I know/do before playing? Any mods worth downloading?

I think it's best to go in blindly to this game, but two things. Disable Vita Chambers, so you'll have some challenge. Second thing is don't bumrush Big Daddies. Set up some traps and only engage them when you're ready. There's no way you can kill one without proper preparations. Set up the traps with the crossbow, hack some turrets and pull him there, enrage some splicers upon him.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I have no idea how Oblivion calculates magic damage and/or weakness. More to the point, I never felt I had to. Playing a pure mage was comfortable and effective as a melee character for me, in terms of killing things. And I ain't no gaming savant, for the record.

You have got to tell me your secret then, because if you're rocking all the magic schools (Destruction, Illusion, Conjuration, Alteration, Mysticism, and Restoration + Alchemy) and:

- keeping Destruction skill from falling behind
- not understanding how magic weakness stacks
- having no idea where the more useful artifacts are,
- not knowing the shortest quest-path to the custom spell creator (and how to best use it)
- still killing enemies with increasingly ridiculous HP pools,
- not going invis to regen HP/MP, and then re-engaging ad nauseum (or save scumming)

all without any planning or foreknowledge of Oblivion's little quirks, then I'm happy to say that you are in fact a gaming savant. Really the only thing I can think of is that you only used Destruction spells, and virtually nothing else. You would level up so little and so slowly, and when you did, only in something that could kill people, that the game would never throw any real enemies at you. Did you play Morrowind first? Because, if so, you were already prepped for Oblivion's character leveling system. And how did you deal with those horrible self-rezzing, resist-shifting tree-things in Shivering Isles?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

My first character was a Mage and I blasted the ever living poo poo out of everything from start to finish, in an unmodded game :shobon:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Oblivion had a lot of annoying small problems unmodded, but if you're not an obsessive min-maxer you should have no trouble beating it unmodded. Is it more fun modded? Without a doubt? Is it necessary to mod anything but the UI(seriously, the UI is poo poo)? No.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

victrix posted:

My first character was a Mage and I blasted the ever living poo poo out of everything from start to finish, in an unmodded game :shobon:

So was mine, and I did too. My point was that playing as a hyper-focused fireball cannon and almost exclusively leveling Destruction is the 'best' way to build a magic character (not what I'd call a 'pure mage' though), but most folks dropped into a game like Oblivion will go "Oh look, I have a lot of spells! I should use them!". I didn't experience all the problems with the leveling system, because I basically bypassed the system entirely. Once you hit high numbers of Destruction skill, you level up at a crawl, and enemies don't get any tougher relative to you. If you actually used half of those Schools, all of a sudden the game becomes a slog. Still winnable, but much more tedious.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

More I meant that I didn't use any particularly cheesy leveling tactics, other than casting spells all the drat time once I realized that's how they raised, and I didn't have any serious problems.

Probably the biggest loving pain in the rear end was that horrible, awful, consolized hotkey system that was just utterly inadaquate for a caster of any sort.

Thankfully there's an oblivion script extender mod that lets you bind whatever key to whatever spell, which makes playing a mage bearable again - I think there's something similar for Skyrim too, I went full mage on my first playthrough in that.

Really, any issues you have with your character can typically be solved with random magic items, and once you start getting powerful enchanted gear, you can cut stuff up regardless of your build.

Kvatch is the poster child for issues with scaling, but in general I feel they're overblown - I played a ton of 'vanilla' in terms of the leveling/skill system with various character types and never had any serious problems.

That said, I don't disagree that the system is fundamentally stupid, because running around the landscape jumping and spamming spells to gain skill is in fact quite dumb. They managed to mostly tune it to reasonable speeds in Skyrim, though the trainers still feel like tacit acknowledgement that it's not quite perfect.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

My comments were directed more towards MisterBibs, since his post implied that anyone who played a mage and actually used the diversified skill set available to them, may be some kind of drooling retard.

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 18, 2012

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
I bought Space Empires IV during the steam sale, seems a fun 4x game but I'm a bit overwhelmed by it, any starting tips?

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.
Oblivion myopia ITT. Look, you're never going to finish the quest with your first character. You're going to run around and do stuff until you get bored and want to see how a different character plays. You'll notice little things that bug you and wonder if using a different skillset will fix it. It will, but will present its own problems. Your second and third characters will likely go the same way and you'll begin to understand the caterwauling here. By your fourth or fifth character you might have finished the main quest (unlikely) and you'll have moved on to something else.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
At the very least, get something that fixes some enemies having health multipliers (enemy health is equal to your level times some multiplier, most enemies are not like this). Gloom Wraiths and the highest level goblin types in particular will end up with absurd amounts of health at higher levels even if you have 100 Strength and 100 points of weapon skill, to the point where it takes a long-rear end time to just kill one and the dungeon you're in is going to have like 15-20 or so of them.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Wow this thread took off.

Currently I am 3 hours into my Vanilla game playing as Dark Elf custom build battle mage (the skill difference being light armour instead of alchemy , though I might reboot and pick heavy armour instead), my characters aim just to be a hedonistic dick.

Asides from a extensive amount of larceny, I have not really gotten too far. What I am wondering now really, is should I just attach a levelling mod and start again or just keep going? (also ui)?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'd say you should Ron. On top of what others have said about skyrocketing health and resistances for enemies, their equipment goes that way too. It gets a bit tiresome when every bandit you meet is wearing god-like armour and weaponry.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Don't forget enemies that damage your stats! Thanks, Oblivion! :downs:

Mod that poo poo.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If you do mod it, I suggest Francesco's over Oscuro's. Fran's is much, much more flexible, and is just rebalancing plus optional extra items and monsters, Oscuro's is more "Well here's how I want it, sorry if you want something different".

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
What mod just fixes the levelling problems? ... or is there more I should be worried about?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Some people like Fran's, some like Oscuro's. If you just want levelling tweaks and nothing else, do Fran's without the optional add on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Thing Three Players Need To Learn About Oblivion: Freedom of Choice is Freedom To Fail. Just because you can make Super Sneaky Thief Of Charming Wit doesn't mean it's going to work against a Demon Lord.

The core to having a successful character in Oblivion is something that I'm flabberghasted people have to be reminded of: Don't be an idiot, and remember that Ability To Kill Stuff is vital.

What are you blabbering about? Its perfectly possible (because after all after the tutorial dungeon you are allowed to wander around and do no combat for hours) to be hours into the game, several levels under your belt and then discover you are now and forever screwed by the leveling system. Freedom to fail is only acceptable if the game laid any of this out at your feet which, I'd like to remind you, it doesn't. The game says "look thieves guild, look illusions, look crafting" and never mentions "oh yeah, don't focus on or do these things if you want to actually win."

Also; the classes the game provides as prefab choices are all pretty much terrible and most of them will be unable to actually keep anywhere near pace with enemies. Is it still the players fault for thinking the game is giving them good advice? Hell, even if you focus on killing things in melee you can have a very tough time if you screw up your leveling or pick too few skills to help bolster the stats enemies are maxing out. To say nothing of the HP slog enemies become.

What you're stating here is that it is 100% acceptable to design a game where you tell players nothing directly and provide misdirection so their only way of learning they've made a mistake is to invest multiple hours in the game so they can realize all those hours are wasted. That is a terrible, terrible design decision.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
So... if I am reading this right, if I picked a thief class and earned several levels from thieving and then was to enter a dungeon, though I may be an excellent thief.. I would be a poo poo fighter and get my head smashed in combat?

So is Oblivion like a monkeys paw?

That your hosed by the hubris in what you wish to be?

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 18, 2012

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
Hey I picked up Dragon Quest IX, and it is my first Dragon Quest/Warrior game. What should I know?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I find it funny that Oblivion sold half a million more copies on 360 than Morrowind did on the original XBox and all those new players had pretty much no trouble with it even with unmoddable copies, yet there are so many RPG vets who will complain about how it's practically unbeatable without mods. Yeah, the levelling system was annoying and could've been balanced way better, but it was not game breaking.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Barudak posted:

What are you blabbering about? Its perfectly possible (because after all after the tutorial dungeon you are allowed to wander around and do no combat for hours) to be hours into the game, several levels under your belt and then discover you are now and forever screwed by the leveling system. Freedom to fail is only acceptable if the game laid any of this out at your feet which, I'd like to remind you, it doesn't. The game says "look thieves guild, look illusions, look crafting" and never mentions "oh yeah, don't focus on or do these things if you want to actually win."

Also; the classes the game provides as prefab choices are all pretty much terrible and most of them will be unable to actually keep anywhere near pace with enemies. Is it still the players fault for thinking the game is giving them good advice? Hell, even if you focus on killing things in melee you can have a very tough time if you screw up your leveling or pick too few skills to help bolster the stats enemies are maxing out. To say nothing of the HP slog enemies become.

What you're stating here is that it is 100% acceptable to design a game where you tell players nothing directly and provide misdirection so their only way of learning they've made a mistake is to invest multiple hours in the game so they can realize all those hours are wasted. That is a terrible, terrible design decision.
Pretty much what happened to me. I was having so much fun with the Thieve's Guild and exploring the world in general, that by the time I actually started the main quest I was 30 hours in and encountering minotaurs outside of the main city. I got boned and had to start over but could never muster the energy to see it through to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lord Banana posted:

I bought Space Empires IV during the steam sale, seems a fun 4x game but I'm a bit overwhelmed by it, any starting tips?

Hmm.... it's been a while but here's a few basics:

Every race in the game will have a planet type (Gas, Ice, Rock) and atmosphere type that they can colonize. The planet type can be improved through tech but atmosphere type is fixed. It's possible later on (I think) to convert the atmosphere, but that's a long-term project.

What you can do is capture enemy colonizers and planets and use their population to colonize planets (Especially if they have a different atmosphere type)

A single boarding pod can be a remarkably effective defense for colonizer ships before shields become common.

A domed planet (Non-matching atmosphere) has 1/5th of the capacity of a non-domed one. So a tiny has 1 slot instead of 5 and so on.

You can preposition defenses before a battle begins. This can be very useful if you're blockading a gate or establishing defenses around your planet.

Locations in ship design don't matter too much. Stuff can be shoved anywhere it fits, it won't affect how they're damaged, I believe.

Planetary Defense Platforms are not a bad idea. I don't remember if it's still true but you can make a few that are nothing but shields and they'll really help the HP of the planet.

The AI rarely bothers with ground troops. Even a huge planet doesn't field that much militia so a single combat transport worth of guys can take most planets.