Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Free Caspian live album.

http://noisetrade.com/caspian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I just "discovered" Khuda on my hard drive. I had their first album, Stratospherics, and it turns out they've released two more since then, Iecava and Palingenesia both of which I think are great. I also think it's neat that they only have two members, the only other group like that I'm aware of are Collapse Under the Empire. Speaking of those guys I apparently missed their 2011 release so I'm gonna go check that out now.

Awesome thanks for posting it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't know if it was posted in this thread yet or not, but Caspian's got a new album called Waking Season coming out in a few months ("Autumn 2012"), they're now signed to Triple Crown, and they're going to have vocals in this new album, but according to them on Facebook, the vocals will be used as if they're another instrument, and at times you won't even be able to tell where the vocals are :ssh:

Here's the album trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74bmf-FyMmU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
OK holy poo poo I am listening to This Will Destroy You for the first time and I think they have already become my favourite post rock band (sans Jakob). This is the first time I've listened to a band's discography in one sitting and become completely enamored by the whole loving catalogue. I am in a state of disbelief at how perfectly they suit my tastes :unsmith:

\/\/\/ I had never had anyone recommend them until last night and I don't actively search for music all that often (which I obviously need to do more of). I've also just listened to Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells for the first time and really enjoyed it.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 14, 2012

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

david puddy posted:

OK holy poo poo I am listening to This Will Destroy You for the first time and I think they have already become my favourite post rock band (sans Jakob). This is the first time I've listened to a band's discography in one sitting and become completely enamored by the whole loving catalogue. I am in a state of disbelief at how perfectly they suit my tastes :unsmith:

You're a fairly frequent poster here, how have you gone this far without TWDY?

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
I posted earlier asking for really spacious, ambient post-rock that suited listening to while chilling out or falling asleep - it's worth mentioning that TWDY's Tunnel Blanket is loving perfect for this. I love that the songs aren't in a hurry to get somewhere, there's no obvious build-up and pay-off, just huge, sprawling soundscapes that meander along so pleasantly that you almost lose track of time. Even the heavier tracks have such an ethereal, distant quality to them that it's more like you're being surrounded by the noise rather than confronted by it. Like a blanket, or a tunnel for that matter. :buddy:

Might as well ask again - anything else like this?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

I posted earlier asking for really spacious, ambient post-rock that suited listening to while chilling out or falling asleep - it's worth mentioning that TWDY's Tunnel Blanket is loving perfect for this. I love that the songs aren't in a hurry to get somewhere, there's no obvious build-up and pay-off, just huge, sprawling soundscapes that meander along so pleasantly that you almost lose track of time. Even the heavier tracks have such an ethereal, distant quality to them that it's more like you're being surrounded by the noise rather than confronted by it. Like a blanket, or a tunnel for that matter. :buddy:

Might as well ask again - anything else like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHKzfcTa3ZU

Actually, pretty much anything from Jakob's Solace. It's more soundscape-y than their first 2 albums and is similar (if not a little less heavy) than Tunnel Blanket.

edit: listen to this through good headphones or a sound system with good bass, it's mindblowing

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
As a kiwi I'm well acquainted with Jakob. Actually, I'm pretty sure we talked about them earlier in the thread. Thanks anyway. :)

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I've had Jakob in my library since January, but haven't listen to them yet because I'm a bad person. I'm so happy you lot have gotten me to actually listen to their music.

Trip report: The end segment of Pneumonic is the best thing I've ever heard.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 15, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Jakob were actually the first post rock band I was ever exposed to, and it was at a live gig (aww yeah). I saw them open for Tool. in January last year, they opened with Malachite and I was awestruck within about 15 seconds. I went home and ordered all three of their CDs. That is how much I like this band. Also, Solace is the best sounding vinyl I own if you guys are into that sort of thing.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I've had Jakob in my library since January, but haven't listen to them yet because I'm a bad person. I'm so happy you lot have gotten me to actually listen to their music.

Trip report: The end segment of Pneumonic is the best thing I've ever heard.

Make sure you have the Dominion EP in your library. It's probably the best way to spend half an hour :3:

Also this isn't *really* post rock, and I'm sure lots of you are familiar with Porcupine Tree, but lots of people don't even seem to realise this exists and is the best way to spend 40 minutes heh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTWqj5NMwAE

\/\/\/ non existent it seems :(

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 15, 2012

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I'm not sure what Porcupine Tree is/isn't at this point.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I can't get into PT at all they seem to pedestrian to me. I like weird poo poo.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Caspian have announced tour dates - unfortunately, they're only a supporting act, but hey, new album and tour!

code:
09/13	Minneapolis, MN	Varsity Theater	w/ Minus The Bear, Cursive		
09/14	Milwaukee, WI	The Rave	w/ Minus The Bear, Cursive	 	 
09/16	Iowa City, IA	Blue Moose Tap House	w/ Minus The Bear, Cursive	 	 
09/17	Indianapolis, IN	The Vogue	w/ Minus The Bear, Cursive	 	 
09/18	Grand Rapids, MI	The Intersection	w/ Minus The Bear, Cursive	 	 
09/19	Cleveland Heights, OH	Grog Shop	w/ Minus The Bear, Cursive	 	 
09/20	Rochester, NY	Water Street Music Hall	w/ Minus The Bear, Cursive	 	 
09/21	Pittsburgh, PA	Stage AE	w/ Minus The Bear, Cursive	 	 
09/23	Sayreville, NJ	Starland Ballroom	w/ Minus The Bear, Cursive	 	 
09/25	Silver Spring, MD	The Fillmore	w/ Minus The Bear, Cursive	 	 
09/26	Clifton Park, NY	Upstate Concert Hall	w/ Minus The Bear, Cursive	 	 
09/27	Boston, MA	Royale Nightclub	w/ Minus The Bear, Cursive	 	 
09/28	Philadelphia, PA	Electric Factory	w/ Minus The Bear, Cursive	 	 
09/29	New York, NY	Best Buy Theater	w/ Minus The Bear, Cursive	 	 
09/30	Richmond, VA	The National	w/ Minus The Bear, Cursive	 	 
10/01	Raleigh, NC	Lincoln Theatre	w/ Minus The Bear, Cursive

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Also European dates coming too, I may finally get to see them!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

thehustler posted:

I can't get into PT at all they seem to pedestrian to me. I like weird poo poo.

Are we talking pretty standard postrock weird, or are we going into full Shalabi Effect/Set Fire To Flames/Cul de Sac weird? On that subject, what's the weirdest thing you've got, or the top 10 if it's something like Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do which everyone who cares about post rock has heard. (I also like weird poo poo)

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Anybody else digging the new Fang Island cd? They aren't strictly post-rock, but have instrumental tracks so they have some genre cross over. It is listenable over at npr http://www.npr.org/2012/07/08/156137589/first-listen-fang-island-major

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Caspian tour isn't coming anywhere near me :( They're playing with Minus The Bear, too!

Ah well. I've seen Minus The Bear live 4 times and Caspian live twice (and even played with Caspian once :v:), so I guess it's time for people in other areas to enjoy them. I really wish I could be in attendance, though.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

(and even played with Caspian once :v:)

You can't just not tell this story.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cymbal Monkey posted:

You can't just not tell this story.

I thought I already had told it in this thread a while ago!

I used to play synth in a post-rock band called Aiua, which I'm no longer in, but in March of last year, we played our CD release show with Caspian, Native, Chiaroscuro, and Moving Mountains was supposed to play too but they got stranded a state over and couldn't make it to the show.

Suffice it to say it was mind-blowing and one of those experiences that I'll never forget.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I thought I already had told it in this thread a while ago!

I used to play synth in a post-rock band called Aiua, which I'm no longer in, but in March of last year, we played our CD release show with Caspian, Native, Chiaroscuro, and Moving Mountains was supposed to play too but they got stranded a state over and couldn't make it to the show.

Suffice it to say it was mind-blowing and one of those experiences that I'll never forget.

Native from Top Shelf? Because they own.

edit: oops, thought this was the vinyl thread

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 17, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Parachute Underwear posted:

Native from Top Shelf? Because they own.

Yup! They were pretty excellent. I'd never heard their stuff before but they put on an awesome live show.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

:siren: MONO have realeased a full track from their new album, called Dream Odyssey :siren:

This is incredible, I can't wait :woop:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

They had better tour to promote this, I've not seen MONO live but everything I've heard tells me I need to.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Cymbal Monkey posted:

They had better tour to promote this, I've not seen MONO live but everything I've heard tells me I need to.

They are, and you do. I know they're coming back to Australia in February/March, and there's no way in hell I'm going to miss it. They're easily my favourite live band so far, and I've seen Tool, Muse, Roger Waters, etc.

edit:

MONO posted:

After this tour, we will tour:
Sep/Oct 2012 - North America (7 weeks)
Nov/Dec 2012 - Europe (5 weeks)
Feb 2013 - Southeast Asia, Australia & New Zealand
March 2013 - Europe (4 weeks)
We also hope to hit Mexico and South America after that.

from their facebook page

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 18, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That song has nice textures but doesn't really go anywhere so it doesn't need to be 8 minutes long. I was laughing while listening to it because the band I was in tried to be Mono and the exact same was true of a lot of our songs.

I'm sure the rest of the album will be better.

As far as their live performance, it's fuckkng jaw dropping. I've seen them twice (been front row both times) and they're just so drat powerful live. Very emotionally charged, too. I don't usually feel like I've just witnessed pure beauty after seeing most live shows, but with Mono, I definitely did both times. If they come to Louisiana as part of their 7 weeks in North America, I'll be in attendance for sure.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

MONO posted:

Sep, 01 North American Tour North America North America ON SALE NOW
There's no actual dates listed, how do I give them money? :saddowns:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Are we talking pretty standard postrock weird, or are we going into full Shalabi Effect/Set Fire To Flames/Cul de Sac weird? On that subject, what's the weirdest thing you've got, or the top 10 if it's something like Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do which everyone who cares about post rock has heard. (I also like weird poo poo)

Now that you're actually asking me, I'm struggling to think of an example. I like a lot of angular math rock/post rock crossover stuff? Set Fire to Flames never really did anything for me. There is a large amount of "formulaic" post rock that I like, but I generally like stuff that keeps me on the edge of my seat, if that makes ANY sense at all?

Maybe I'm doing PT a huge disservice and I need to give it another go.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

There's no actual dates listed, how do I give them money? :saddowns:

They also say their North American tour will start September 1st and be for 7 weeks, but then they have a 9/7 date in Japan. Don't lie to me, Mono! Don't they know that those who tell the truth shall live forever? :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't know whether to post this in here, the IDM thread or the electro thread, but half of it is post-rock related: I just got tickets to go see Tycho + The Album Leaf live in September and I am so goddamn excited right now.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Forums upgrade of your choice or :10bux: to the person who can provide a link at which I can buy tickets for a west coast MONO show (preferably Portland or San Francisco).

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

thehustler posted:

Maybe I'm doing PT a huge disservice and I need to give it another go.

Their weirdest stuff is most likely on Voyage 34: the Complete Trip. I haven't heard everything they've done. It's repetitive but interesting enough. Hopefully someone who's really into PT can advise us both.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Should probably go ask about PT in the prog thread (or even PM me, I guess), I just thought that Moonloop was a good instrumental rock song that fits better in here than the prog thread v:v:v

I am pretty sure that "BUY" option is just a placeholder, their facebook page is here and they post all their stuff to there I guess.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
anyone listened to ancients yet? Its pretty lax, im digging it.

http://shelsmusic.bandcamp.com/album/star-showers-on-the-euphrates

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

A LOVELY LAD posted:

anyone listened to ancients yet? Its pretty lax, im digging it.

http://shelsmusic.bandcamp.com/album/star-showers-on-the-euphrates
Wow, thanks for the heads up. This is some great stuff!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Wait, Ancients and *shels... Are they basically the same group?

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
*shelsmusic is *shels label and they sign other (post rock/post metal/metal) bands.

One of the members of *shels is in ancients.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Forums upgrade of your choice or :10bux: to the person who can provide a link at which I can buy tickets for a west coast MONO show (preferably Portland or San Francisco).

Portland: https://static.ticketbiscuit.com/cl...keting%2f137882

SF: http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/146497?utm_medium=bks

PM me to get info on how to pay me my $10

I'm probably going to see them at Glasslands in NY, don't think they've played there before and I think it's a good space for them. Last time I saw them was at Bowery in '10 and there was some electrical problem, one of the PAs kept crackling on and off and also I was on a lovely date and the lighting was bad so that was the only time I saw Mono and I didn't love it (I think it's been 9 times now).

a false fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 26, 2012

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Guess who's got two thumbs and just bought a ticket to see Swans in Oklahoma City? THIS FUCKIN' GUY RIGHT HERE. I'm so goddamn excited for this.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Guess who just got ticket for MONO in Seattle! I knew about this about an hour before I read A False's post about it, but he gets his :tenbux: anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
In case anyone didn't already look after the last few posts, all Mono's North American tour dates are here:
https://www.monoishere.com/tour-dates/

Extensive tour, good on them. I'll be there 9-17, Big Orbit Soundlab, the same place I first saw them five years ago (with World's End Girlfriend). I'm just glad I won't have to drive a few hours and across the Canadian border like on their last tour.