Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

SexyBlindfold posted:

i am very sad about Bruno being probated, I would love to see what he's got to say about this new development of the zionist plot :allears:

A few days ago he claimed he was from Croatia on Twitter, even though he's been posting on the Ron Paul forums as Angry Canadian and his IP is in Toronto. I had some fun today asking him about the opinions of Croatians while he desperately tried to not answer the question and change the subject. Here's a couple of his posts, "Inuslted On Twitter and Threaten with death & Was Added to the egg-troll-4regime List" and this bitching about a blog post of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

CoderCat posted:

This is not true. The chant was invented by the Assad propaganda machine.

It was sourced by numerous dissidents and Christians. You claimed this earlier and I responded with several blog posts, you can respond to those if you like now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm kind of curious as to the Russian response of all this. Also, what type of chemical weapons does Assad have?

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Hollis posted:

I'm kind of curious as to the Russian response of all this. Also, what type of chemical weapons does Assad have?

Reportedly, Mustard Gas, Sarin, and possibly VX.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/07/deadly-uncertainty-the-reason-syrias-chemical-weapons-are-so-dangerous/259850/

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
This report of defections is more interesting than a lot of the other ones, it suggests that Palestinians from the PFLPGC are defecting to the FSA. The PFLPGC have been historically been used as Palestinian goons of Syrian intelligence to keep the local refugee community in line, so their defection has implications for the Palestinians in Syria

شبكة شام: إنشقاق عناصر من الجبهة الشعبية- القيادة العامة وإنضمامهم الى الجيش الحر

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Brown Moses' Twitter Feed is amazing. Journalists from all over the world, plus one 17 year old girl who's obsessed with his avatar. The switches back and forth between typical Brown Moses chat about rumors and FSA weaponry to playful banter about his avatar is jarring.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nenonen posted:

Even though it was an amazing day for the rebs the military hasn't actually disbanded itself yet.

Yeah but I'm not even seeing anything about a fight there, and I thought somebody said the place was surrounded with tanks. Surely something newsworthy happened if that was actually the case.

Let's hope not. That stuff is nasty as all hell.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Patter Song posted:

Brown Moses' Twitter Feed is amazing. Journalists from all over the world, plus one 17 year old girl who's obsessed with his avatar. The switches back and forth between typical Brown Moses chat about rumors and FSA weaponry to playful banter about his avatar is jarring.

I've just got about 60 followers in the last 30 minutes because Michael Weiss, "Research Director of the Henry Jackson Society, Telegraph and New Criterion blogger", and the activist BSyria just said how awesome my blog is. The one thing that sucks is now all these loopy anti-imperialists have heard of my they keep Googling me and bringing up stuff I've posted on the forums, so I don't feel like I can freely discuss my contacts with journalists and activists in public anymore.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Volkerball posted:

Let's hope not. That stuff is nasty as all hell.

True facts. Although Sarin and Mustard Gas are nasty in their own right.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

A Crazy Person posted:

claudia kling ‏@ckling1234
@Brown_Moses F*^ YOU &CLINTON&ISRAEL KILLING INNOCENTS IN NAME OF WESTERN POWER EXXON MOBIL!

Stop killing innocents, Brown Moses! Stop killing innocents for Exxon Mobil. :saddowns:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So that document supposedly showing plans for chemical attack captured by the FSA, any more on that?

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Patter Song posted:

Stop killing innocents, Brown Moses! Stop killing innocents for Exxon Mobil. :saddowns:

Does Syria have a lot of potential oil fields?

Orange Devil posted:

So that document supposedly showing plans for chemical attack captured by the FSA, any more on that?

Nothing that I know of. The chemical weapons stockpile is the one thing that I've really been trying to find as much on as I can. For some reason I have it my head that Assad will actually use these as an end-game middle finger to his people, and to the region, and to the World.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Brown Moses posted:

I've just got about 60 followers in the last 30 minutes because Michael Weiss, "Research Director of the Henry Jackson Society, Telegraph and New Criterion blogger", and the activist BSyria just said how awesome my blog is. The one thing that sucks is now all these loopy anti-imperialists have heard of my they keep Googling me and bringing up stuff I've posted on the forums, so I don't feel like I can freely discuss my contacts with journalists and activists in public anymore.

You should really stop engaging with them. You'll run out of hair long before they run out of crazy.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
So is attacking Syrian State TV a war crime or can it be considered inciting.

quote:

I'd treat it with caution.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

truth masseuse posted:

Very little. Not none, but little.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2178rank.html

It's down at #33 on that list.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

truth masseuse posted:

No, but it refines a fair amount of oil. For Sinopec.

:downs:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Maybe we can lure them here like Bruno so they can have a voice bilk them out of :10bux: when they eventually go crazy and get themselves banned.

Oh, I crossed out the thing I was supposed to say and said the thing I was supposed to cross out.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

farraday posted:

You should really stop engaging with them. You'll run out of hair long before they run out of crazy.

Generally they are so dumb they end up doing something amusing.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Patter Song posted:

Very little. Not none, but little.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2178rank.html

It's down at #33 on that list.

Yeah, I didn't think they were all that rich in oil. So Canada, how you doing? :heysexy:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Volkerball posted:

Yeah but I'm not even seeing anything about a fight there, and I thought somebody said the place was surrounded with tanks. Surely something newsworthy happened if that was actually the case.

"Surrounded by tanks" makes it sound like they were besieging the building, but it could just mean that troops moved to positions around the tv station to keep it secure. Maybe there was fighting nearby or maybe it was just a precaution. It's not even possible to ascertain if there were any tanks...

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Not Syria-related, but a video of American Apache helicopters taking down a platoon of Taliban just emerged.

Via.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 19, 2012

Pieter Pan
May 16, 2004
Bad faith argument here:
-------------------------------->

ufarn posted:

Not Syria-related, but a video of American Apache helicopters taking down a platoon of Taliban just emerged.

Via.

It's always the same pattern in these Apache attacks, with extra bombs dropped on severely wounded people. Isn't that a war crime?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Lots of reports from separate Twitters talking about a series of seriously huge explosions rocking Damascus about five minutes ago.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

MothraAttack posted:

Lots of reports from separate Twitters talking about a series of seriously huge explosions rocking Damascus about five minutes ago.

Bashar has had a rough day at work, why do they disturb his sleep? :smith:

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
If anyone could provide some decent links to twitter feeds with good content, and reliability, I would really appreciate it.

Nenonen posted:

Bashar has had a rough day at work, why do they disturb his sleep? :smith:

Bashar should know, the night is dark and full of terrors.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"
Can anyone link me to a good rebuttal to the main "anti-imperialist" conspiracy theories and slander against the FSA? i.e. "The FSA are Islamist child killers" etc. etc. There's a lot of point by point news stories in this thread but I'm looking for a broader overview.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

This is more theoretical than a specific rebuttal, but it's a good and important read.

http://qunfuz.com/2012/07/16/blanket-thinkers/

edit; There's also Bassam Haddad's 3 part post on Jadaliyya

http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/2527/for-syria-what-is-left-(part-1)
http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/3352/religion-morality-syria-resistance_for-syria-what-
http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/5959/hizballah-development-and-the-political-economy-of

Xandu fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 19, 2012

CoderCat
May 7, 2005

Science, it works. :science:

az jan jananam posted:

It was sourced by numerous dissidents and Christians. You claimed this earlier and I responded with several blog posts, you can respond to those if you like now.

Give me a video, not a blog post. There are thousands upon thousands of protest videos. Surely you'll find one with this chant if it's popular.

The Scarlet Hot Dog
Jan 18, 2005

Trust me, everything will be fine.

MaterialConceptual posted:

Can anyone link me to a good rebuttal to the main "anti-imperialist" conspiracy theories and slander against the FSA? i.e. "The FSA are Islamist child killers" etc. etc. There's a lot of point by point news stories in this thread but I'm looking for a broader overview.

To be honest I think the general media is trying to bunch a dozen groups into one simple package as the 'Free Syria Army,' for convenience. It's just not that simple. There are a huge amount of groups including true freedom fighters, fundamentalists and all kinds of other splinter groups currently in play in Syria, each with their own agenda.

I'm really worried about the hardcore fundamentalist groups that have reared their head since this whole mess started.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

MaterialConceptual posted:

This article is somewhat in that camp.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

The Scarlet Hot Dog posted:

To be honest I think the general media is trying to bunch a dozen groups into one simple package as the 'Free Syria Army,' for convenience. It's just not that simple. There are a huge amount of groups including true freedom fighters, fundamentalists with their own agenda for Syria and all kinds of other splinter groups.

Brown Moses linked this to me earlier. It gives a drat good general overview of what is going on.

http://www.understandingwar.org/press-media/graphsandstat/evolution-syria%E2%80%99s-opposition

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Pieter posted:

It's always the same pattern in these Apache attacks, with extra bombs dropped on severely wounded people. Isn't that a war crime?

No, because they are merely combatants, therefore we can do absolutely anything we like to them.

Also those single guys they are hitting with hellfires? $68,000 a pop.

Banano fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 19, 2012

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Banano posted:

No, because they are merely combatants, therefore we can do absolutely anything we like to them.

You can't surrender to helicopters so you're an active enemy combatant or a corpse. No compromise.

vvv What the gently caress. Are you psycho?

namesake fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 19, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

namesake posted:

You can't surrender to helicopters so you're an active enemy combatant or a corpse. No compromise.

Yeah, it's not like the pilots can land, hop out of their copters and render medical aid. It's more like mercy killing after you rake someone with the 30mm, because they aren't going to survive for long.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

CoderCat posted:

Give me a video, not a blog post. There are thousands upon thousands of protest videos. Surely you'll find one with this chant if it's popular.

Why are you so incredulous to the notion that a members of a belligerent party to an extremely sectarian conflict may harbor sectarian views?

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it's not like the pilots can land, hop out of their copters and render medical aid. It's more like mercy killing after you rake someone with the 30mm, because they aren't going to survive for long.

I was just going to say, getting hit with a 30mm, the chances of your surviving a hit from just one of those is almost zero. So those guys on the ground are probably minutes or less from bleeding out, or shock.

e: Total agreement with Young Freud. Pilots are doing them a favor.

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 19, 2012

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

truth masseuse posted:

I was just going to say, getting hit with a 30mm, the chances of your surviving a hit from just one of those is pretty low. So those guys on the ground are probably minutes or less from bleeding out, or shock.

Better finish the job with aerial bombardment just to make sure then? loving hell.

Euthanasia isn't a moral position when you inflict the initial mortal wound.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I also love how they treat a guy , possibly injured, after being hit with multiple missile and cannon strikes, pitifully crawling away for his life as 'we got a guy trying to set up on our guys! hit 'im! :byodood:

Banano fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 19, 2012

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

This is off topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

Euthanasia isn't a moral position when you inflict the initial mortal wound.

I would expect no less of my enemy if I am bleeding out from a 30mm chest wound, or missing limb.

e:

Xandu posted:

This is off topic.

Noted.

• Locked thread