Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Even if the Legion made progress in the west, they couldn't hold it - you can convince Lanius of this to make him retreat at the end. There's a big difference between fighting unorganised small groups of tribals, and the largest, most organised and advanced army in the post-war world. The Legion's refusal to use medical chems, or more advanced tech would hurt them too.

It's interesting how people in the game compare Ceasar to House. But House offered the tribes the chance to work with him, and gave them access to his resources, and stays largely out of politics and personal freedoms, aiming instead to bulid a thriving economy, for Vegas and the people who live there. Ceasar, however, brutally murders people, crushes the cultural identity of those he captures, brain washes the children to mindlessly serve the Legion, and encourages awful crimes against women, in order to force his own facist society on the wasteland. Seriously go through Siri's dialogue, and see if safe trade routes are worth that.

House is pretty chill, Ceasar is just a well spoken monster. :colbert:

I love how the writing is that good, we're still talking about this, after the game has been out so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

OldMemes posted:

I love how the writing is that good, we're still talking about this, after the game has been out so long.

Fortunately Obsidian profitted from the good work they did on this game and... oh... oh wait :eng99:

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

victrix posted:

Fortunately Obsidian profitted from the good work they did on this game and... oh... oh wait :eng99:

:confused: Are they not going to do the next one? I thought Fallout:NV was a lot more popular than Fallout 3?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

:confused: Are they not going to do the next one? I thought Fallout:NV was a lot more popular than Fallout 3?

He's talking about how Obsidian worked out a deal with Bethesda where they'd get a larger amount of royalties if they got an 85+ reviewer metascore, and none if they got less (as opposed to a decidedly smaller portion of royalties, but guaranteed nonetheless, had they gone with "just give us royalties regardless of the metascore").

Bethesda really hosed 'em and it's pretty bullshit that this is the situation Obsidian faces, but I guess the moral of the story is gently caress games journalism.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

The White Dragon posted:

He's talking about how Obsidian worked out a deal with Bethesda where they'd get a larger amount of royalties if they got an 85+ reviewer metascore, and none if they got less (as opposed to a decidedly smaller portion of royalties, but guaranteed nonetheless, had they gone with "just give us royalties regardless of the metascore").

Bethesda really hosed 'em and it's pretty bullshit that this is the situation Obsidian faces, but I guess the moral of the story is gently caress games journalism.

Wow...That's actually really terrible.
Bethesda is the Legion of gaming.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Wow...That's actually really terrible.
Bethesda is the Legion of gaming.

Worse when you hear that they got a score of 84.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
How did that go down? Did they think they could easily pull 85+ enough to agree or were they in such a desperate bind they had no bargaining power to negotiate something more reasonable?

Shits hosed yo.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The entire concept is loving retarded. Literally the fate of their company in the hands of the monkies that write gaming reviews. Yes that's right, wheezing youtube guy got 30+ people sacked from Obsidian, then went to bed comfortably hugging his anime pillow.

(I might be exaggerating... but only a little.)

This isn't really new, or news though, dev/pub relations have been awful for an eternity, and while it looks completely evil, there are reasons pubs have to make tight contracts, or they get hosed by endless moneypit devs and go out of business themselves.

... what I'm saying is, Obsidian are cool guys and buy Wasteland 2 and more indie games I guess?

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Berk Berkly posted:

How did that go down? Did they think they could easily pull 85+ enough to agree or were they in such a desperate bind they had no bargaining power to negotiate something more reasonable?
The latter I'm sure, I don't think the people at Obsidian merely wanted to be the go-to studio for developing other people's sequels. You also have the cases were they've been outright screwed by publishers, KoTOR II being an infamous example. I doubt they've ever been in a strong bargaining position.

Chris Avellone's Deleted Tweet posted:

[Fallout: New Vegas] was a straight payment, no royalties, only a bonus if we got an 85+ on Metacritic, which we didn't
Sounds like royalties were never on the table in any case, just a bonus to the amount Bethesda paid Obsidian if New Vegas hit 85 on Metacritic.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Nope! Fallout 3 was by Bethesda, and was less thinky and more shooty, and had better QA and fewer crashes. Go back and read contemporary reviews of Fallout 3 and New Vegas- it's actually kind of stunning in retrospect.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I never had a crash in NV playing since the initial release. You know.. unless I was loving with the console something fierce.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Pope Guilty posted:

Go back and read contemporary reviews of Fallout 3 and New Vegas- it's actually kind of stunning in retrospect.
Bethesda has really hit a pattern where the problems their games have aren't acknowledged at release, at least by the gaming press. A year later everyone can agree on the weak points, but the same journalists who glossed over problems when reviewing the last Bethesda release will point out how all those dreadful problems are fixed when it comes time to promote the next Bethesda game. This has repeated from Oblivion to Fallout 3 to Skyrim, and I'm sure we will see it in action again.

New Vegas hit after the grace period had expired, and didn't change things up enough to get the same pass that Bethesda earns. Also I think Obsidian's buggy reputation is hard to shake off, everyone is looking for confirmation.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Rebel Blob posted:

Bethesda has really hit a pattern where the problems their games have aren't acknowledged at release, at least by the gaming press. A year later everyone can agree on the weak points, but the same journalists who glossed over problems when reviewing the last Bethesda release will point out how all those dreadful problems are fixed when it comes time to promote the next Bethesda game. This has repeated from Oblivion to Fallout 3 to Skyrim, and I'm sure we will see it in action again.

New Vegas hit after the grace period had expired, and didn't change things up enough to get the same pass that Bethesda earns. Also I think Obsidian's buggy reputation is hard to shake off, everyone is looking for confirmation.

"Games Journalism"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

OldMemes posted:

Even if the Legion made progress in the west, they couldn't hold it - you can convince Lanius of this to make him retreat at the end. There's a big difference between fighting unorganised small groups of tribals, and the largest, most organised and advanced army in the post-war world. The Legion's refusal to use medical chems, or more advanced tech would hurt them too.

It's interesting how people in the game compare Ceasar to House. But House offered the tribes the chance to work with him, and gave them access to his resources, and stays largely out of politics and personal freedoms, aiming instead to bulid a thriving economy, for Vegas and the people who live there. Ceasar, however, brutally murders people, crushes the cultural identity of those he captures, brain washes the children to mindlessly serve the Legion, and encourages awful crimes against women, in order to force his own facist society on the wasteland. Seriously go through Siri's dialogue, and see if safe trade routes are worth that.

House is pretty chill, Ceasar is just a well spoken monster. :colbert:

You seem to be portraying the Legion as this bumbling group that wouldn't stand a chance against the NCR, and the NCR as this organised juggernaut that it's not. The NCR were just able to turn back the Legion at Boulder City, and it was essentially a Pyrrhic victory. If anything, it's suggested that the two groups are on equal footing (hence the PC playing an integral role in leading one side to victory.)

It's also somewhat laughable that you're taking the extremes of both situations to prove your point: You describe the Legion solely by its flaws, apply those flaws wholesale, and pick a single thing it has made in return: only safe trade routes.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Kharmakazy posted:

I never had a crash in NV playing since the initial release. You know.. unless I was loving with the console something fierce.
Guess you rolled a 10 in Luck :hurr:

I had repeated crashes when trying to trigger OWB, crashes when fast travelling from The Sink Balcony, crashes randomly all over the Mojave.

Seriously though who the hell would agree to a deal like that, Obsidian? You're confident about your game and that's cool, but why play double or nothing with stuff like that?

e: requoting, I'll settle for just adding the perk

Synonymous posted:

Is there a way I can force Veronica to trigger her dialogue regarding Dead Money's Elijah's Holomessage? My Dead Money bugged out hard and I needed to use console commands to get the gently caress out/trigger the end slides, so any console commands that
1) Trigger that dialogue/perk
2) Remove the Dead Money Collar from my inventory (I've got a mod that hides it but gently caress off collar seriously)

would be much appreciated.

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 19, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Synonymous posted:

Seriously though who the hell would agree to a deal like that, Obsidian? You're confident about your game and that's cool, but why play double or nothing with stuff like that?

(Something about New Vegas odds)

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You seem to be portraying the Legion as this bumbling group that wouldn't stand a chance against the NCR, and the NCR as this organised juggernaut that it's not. The NCR were just able to turn back the Legion at Boulder City, and it was essentially a Pyrrhic victory. If anything, it's suggested that the two groups are on equal footing (hence the PC playing an integral role in leading one side to victory.)

It's also somewhat laughable that you're taking the extremes of both situations to prove your point: You describe the Legion solely by its flaws, apply those flaws wholesale, and pick a single thing it has made in return: only safe trade routes.

Yes, the NCR is a majorly flawed government, but after listening to what some of the NPCs have to say, and watching the slides for an Legion ending, it's pretty clear that the Legion is deeply evil. Seriously, Boone's story about his wife is one of the saddest moments in the game. The Legion is basically a cult based around Ceasar, not a form of government - hence why it's called Ceasar's Legion, not just "the Legion", without Ceasar, the whole thing will fall apart. The NCR can just elect a new president, but without Ceasar the Legion will just become a power vacumn.

Screw Legion and NCR, support House. It makes sense. :colbert:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
House is a dick hiding behind the proceeds of over two centuries of exploiting the labor of others. Yes Man uber alles!

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Pope Guilty posted:

Nope! Fallout 3 was by Bethesda, and was less thinky and more shooty, and had better QA and fewer crashes. Go back and read contemporary reviews of Fallout 3 and New Vegas- it's actually kind of stunning in retrospect.

Does anyone know the sales figures and budgets for Fallout 3 and New Vegas?

The only way I can see Obsidian getting FO4 is if NV made a much bigger profit then 3.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Sam. posted:

Does anyone know the sales figures and budgets for Fallout 3 and New Vegas?

The only way I can see Obsidian getting FO4 is if NV made a much bigger profit then 3.

New Vegas outsold Fallout 3, as I recall. I doubt it cost more to make, as well.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Pope Guilty posted:

House is a dick hiding behind the proceeds of over two centuries of exploiting the labor of others. Yes Man uber alles!

Actually, if I remember correctly, he built up most of his wealth and 'servants' then retreated to his pod thingy before the bombs dropped. He also spent a good chunk of his time after the war in a coma due to a system fault. It wasn't until the NCR stumbled on to Hoover Dam that he whipped New Vegas into shape.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Rebel Blob posted:

Also I think Obsidian's buggy reputation is hard to shake off, everyone is looking for confirmation.
Dungeon Siege III is stable as hell and had very few bugs at launch. Using our own engine helped.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

rope kid posted:

Dungeon Siege III is stable as hell and had very few bugs at launch. Using our own engine helped.

And yet no one seems to notice or care. I haven't played DS3 (shame upon me) but you guys deserve good reviews just for breaking out of your so-called "trademark" of many bugs.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

rope kid posted:

DS3 is indeed a great example of what you can do when not working with another developer's half-assed and buggy engine. Unfortunately it was also kind of mediocre so nobody really cares when you cite it as an example of when Obsidian didn't release a buggy game.

OldMemes posted:

Yes, the NCR is a majorly flawed government, but after listening to what some of the NPCs have to say, and watching the slides for an Legion ending, it's pretty clear that the Legion is deeply evil. Seriously, Boone's story about his wife is one of the saddest moments in the game. The Legion is basically a cult based around Ceasar, not a form of government - hence why it's called Ceasar's Legion, not just "the Legion", without Ceasar, the whole thing will fall apart. The NCR can just elect a new president, but without Ceasar the Legion will just become a power vacumn.

Screw Legion and NCR, support House. It makes sense. :colbert:

The problem here is that you make the assumption that the Legion is some kind of war machine and nothing more, when there lands have been said to be the most peaceful in the wasteland. Without Caesar there ambitions of spreading farther and overtaking the NCR may be gone, sure, but you still have a united people in a society that is extremely harsh towards any who stray outside their boundaries of law and morality.

Davos fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 19, 2012

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

So I'm trying to load my game and with about 3 tries now, every one sits at the loading screen for about 5 minutes, and won't let me Alt-Tab. I use Ctl-Alt-Delete to close the program and it says it's not responding. Did I just lose my save game?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Danyull posted:

So I'm trying to load my game and with about 3 tries now, every one sits at the loading screen for about 5 minutes, and won't let me Alt-Tab. I use Ctl-Alt-Delete to close the program and it says it's not responding. Did I just lose my save game?

Start a new game or load an earlier, functioning save. Once it loads, load the problematic save file. IF it loads, delete the problematic save file and make a clean save.

EDIT: Missing masters usually cause immediate CTDs, though, not hanging loads.
VVVVV

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 19, 2012

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Also make sure you've crossed the Ts and dotted the Is on your mod load order, if you have any mods that are .esms not loaded and you load mods that require those .esms, poo poo will get hosed up.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Even after having spent hundreds of hours on the PS3 version of NV, I snagged the complete edition off of the Steam sale and am having a blast. Ropekid's personal mod has made the game feel like a whole new experience, and I am having as much fun with it as I did when the game first released.

Question though, what's an easily repeatable way to raise your Karma positively? I'm trying to manage a playthrough where I recruit each of the companions and complete their personal quests, but by the time I get out of Goodsprings my Karma is always tanked because I just can't stop from taking all of the valuable items those idiots leave all over town (not to mention that a lot of the best loot in the game is flagged such that it has to be stolen). This isn't normally a huge deal for anything other than trying to recruit Cass and perform her quest, because she gets super bitchy about you having bad Karma. I've already given Boxcars the max amount of Med-X (although that was hours of play time ago) and I know that there's always ghoul / fiend hunting, but I was hoping there was something similar to donating fresh water to the homeless dudes in FO3 - something that I can gear up for and perform repeatedly with minimal hassle.

I checked the wiki and the only things it lists are killing fiends / ghouls or giving Boxcars the Med-X the one time. Has anyone discovered anything else? I suppose I could just console the problem away, but I'm trying to do this without cheating, so to speak.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

homeless poster posted:

I checked the wiki and the only things it lists are killing fiends / ghouls or giving Boxcars the Med-X the one time. Has anyone discovered anything else? I suppose I could just console the problem away, but I'm trying to do this without cheating, so to speak.

The problem is that jsawyer changes some karma values, so the wiki won't be accurate. Try stealth-killing some Powder Gangers and see if you get good karma from it.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The problem is that jsawyer changes some karma values, so the wiki won't be accurate. Try stealth-killing some Powder Gangers and see if you get good karma from it.

:sigh: Yeah, I know I can just go headhunting and hopefully raise my karma back to neutral, but I was really hoping not to have to do that (it's just tedious and wastes perfectly good ammo). I'm actually playing a smooth talking dude who doesn't go out of his way to just murder folks, so I didn't really want to just go on a murder spree, even if the game does justify it by making all criminals unrepentant assholes (save that one dude you can elect to be Sheriff of Primm).

The funny thing is that my character hasn't done anything quest related that would earn negative karma, I just steal everything even if it's nailed down and on fire. Guess it's time to whip up a mod that removes the karma penalty for stealing because that is seriously a dumb thing.

EDIT: On that note, if I use the console to reset my Karma and then save the game, quit out, and start it up again, will the Steam achievements be permanently disabled on that save file forever, or are they just disabled fort the session in which I am currently playing?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

homeless poster posted:

achievements...disabled for the session in which I am currently playing?

This one.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

You can donate medical goods to the Followers, I think. I would hope that would give you good karma.

homeless poster posted:

The funny thing is that my character hasn't done anything quest related that would earn negative karma, I just steal everything even if it's nailed down and on fire. Guess it's time to whip up a mod that removes the karma penalty for stealing because that is seriously a dumb thing.
You're a poor laborer in the post-apocalyptic desert. You struggle to make ends meet. Most of the money you earn after hard, hot, sweaty days full of labor goes towards feeding yourself and your family. You save up your caps though, bit by bit, and eventually you can afford a pistol and a bit of ammunition. Maybe keep your family safe from raiders or radscorpions. Maybe get a bit of cheap protein by hunting some geckos in your spare time. You've sacrificed so much to provide this little security.

One day, a mysterious rear end in a top hat comes through and takes it, along with everything in your house you worked all your life for. He takes everything you've struggled to earn in this godforsaken place for years, and he sells it all for less than 100 caps to a local merchant.

Sorry. You're an rear end in a top hat and deserve your lovely karma. :colbert:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Eiba posted:

You can donate medical goods to the Followers, I think. I would hope that would give you good karma.

You're a poor laborer in the post-apocalyptic desert. You struggle to make ends meet. Most of the money you earn after hard, hot, sweaty days full of labor goes towards feeding yourself and your family. You save up your caps though, bit by bit, and eventually you can afford a pistol and a bit of ammunition. Maybe keep your family safe from raiders or radscorpions. Maybe get a bit of cheap protein by hunting some geckos in your spare time. You've sacrificed so much to provide this little security.

One day, a mysterious rear end in a top hat comes through and takes it, along with everything in your house you worked all your life for. He takes everything you've struggled to earn in this godforsaken place for years, and he sells it all for less than 100 caps to a local merchant.

Sorry. You're an rear end in a top hat and deserve your lovely karma. :colbert:

You know, I can completely see where you're going with that, but unfortunately the game just doesn't get the chance to give me that impression.

Take skill books for instance - they're one of the most useful items that you can possibly find, and about half of them are tagged as needing to be stolen if you want to acquire them. Instead of having the Courier eat them immediately after reading them, why can't there be an option to have to go on a quest for the owner of each book in order to have them give it to you? Then, you could have just one book for each skill that gives a +20 bonus, rather than four to seven books for each skill that give a +2-4 bonus. You could still keep skill magazines in as the throwback items to FO 1/2 that are one use, and at the same time it'd make a hell of a lot more sense for the Courier to have to ask permission to read this fabled tome of knowledge, rather than having it be a semi-uncommon delicacy that can only improve your abilities if you consume it completely.

Also, it really makes no sense when you consider areas with items that are tagged as needing to be stolen when there aren't any compelling reasons for this to be the case. Why do I need to "steal" old food from the fridge of an abandoned factory that is solely staffed by malfunctioning robots? What possible moral value are they deriving from a fridge full of Dandyboy Apples?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can reverse the karmic backlash from stealing everything by slaughtering anyone that could ever pose a threat to the ones who you've disarmed.

Or, failing that, there are some perks you can take. Genocide or perks.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

homeless poster posted:

Also, it really makes no sense when you consider areas with items that are tagged as needing to be stolen when there aren't any compelling reasons for this to be the case. Why do I need to "steal" old food from the fridge of an abandoned factory that is solely staffed by malfunctioning robots? What possible moral value are they deriving from a fridge full of Dandyboy Apples?
I never ran into anything like this, as far as I remember. Everything that was tagged owned, was owned by someone. There was plenty of random poo poo lying around unowned, when appropriate.

And as for skill books and other semi-unique items, I stole all of them that were owned, in J.E. Sawyer's mod even, and never had any karma issues. There aren't that many of them. Stealing a few items, even a dozen or so total, won't make much of a difference overall. To really crater your karma like that, to the point that Cass is getting upset about it, you've got to be stealing a ton of poo poo you don't need... even if it might mean the world to the poor sap who actually owned it.

Or else you've been making the wrong choices in quests. There are a ton of opportunities to get karma bonuses and penalties in all sorts of different quests. I have no idea what you might have done, but that mod generally makes karma sane, so if it's calling you evil, I trust there's a reason.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Oh, on the note of the whole "Legion falls if Caesar dies" thing some of you keep mentioning, I recall Boone saying something if you talk to him after killing Caesar with him in your party about him having an entire line of succession, so even the death of Caesar wouldn't really slow the Legion down terribly. Course, if Caesar were to die AND they get pushed back at the drat who knows.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I steal pretty much everything. I pick goodsprings clean. My karma is always fine. Kill a few bad guys and you can basically steal whatever you want in my experience.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Yeah, if you don't use the JSawyer mod or something else that tweaks karma, it's pretty much impossible to go negative unless you murder every last good-aligned person in the Wasteland. My first character was a selfish, thieving, unrepentant killer who put people into two categories: people who do what I want them to, and people who get shot.

The Mojave still sang my praises as its new messiah though I like to pretend it was out of fear, and every major faction thought I was on their side (except House, who was dead) until I turned on them all for an Indie Vegas right at the Hoover Dam battle.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 19, 2012

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Danyull posted:

What CoP said. Otherwise try typing pcb in the console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

rope kid posted:

I liked DS3, pretty enjoyable if a little linear (though that is in line with the series). And certainly better than DS2