Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

epalm posted:

What's so
about this?

Enlighten me.

It's a 250cc 2-stroke Suzuki GP bike replica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

slidebite posted:

Holy gently caress, what's got CA's panties in a knot today? :wtc:

My bad, some real life bullshit. :suicide:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

It's a 250cc 2-stroke Suzuki GP bike replica.

TBH the fact that anyone's still managing to keep an RGV250 running is impressive enough, nice paintjob or no...

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

epalm posted:

Enlighten me.

See in terms of power bands, if a 1000-1200cc 4-Stroke has a wide, manageable Power Girdle, this thing has a Power Garrotte. It might not have a lot of power, relatively speaking (55-70hp), but everything it has is delivered in one hit, right at the top end. The bike also weighs about as much as packet of crisps. It's effectively a GP bike on the road, an older GP bike maybe, but still a bike to be respected. Also, as goddamnedtwisto touched on, it's going to be very maintenance intensive and anyone using one for even a semi regular ride would have to be dedicated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_RGV250

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 19, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

... Power Girdle... Power Garrotte...

Haha excellent! I want a bike with a nice comfy Power Sports Coat.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I don't quite understand why a GP bike replica would be any harder to maintain than your average sportsbike of its day? Provided you didn't thrash it 24/7 and took care of it wouldn't it be the same as any other sportsbike?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shimrod posted:

I don't quite understand why a GP bike replica would be any harder to maintain than your average sportsbike of its day? Provided you didn't thrash it 24/7 and took care of it wouldn't it be the same as any other sportsbike?

2 strokes require much more maintenance than a 4 stroke.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
To elaborate, because the RGV motor, while having no-where near the guaranteed highside potential of a KR-1S, will probably seize on you at some point even on a religious diet of £15/l fully synthetic two-stroke oil.

This is basically why you never see an RS250 (same motor - the later RGVs were all grey imports) any more in the UK. Only the fattest of ZZR1100 fans didn't like them, it's just that they all went pop and after a certain point people gave up on rebuilding them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Shimrod posted:

A 2 stroke used for street use is going to require more maintenance that a similar 4 stroke. A purpose built race engine is going to take even more.

My 4-stroke CRF has a race engine. It gets new oil/filter every 5 hours, valves checked every 10 hours, new PISTON every 100 hours. A race 2-stroke engine is going to be even more work.

Plus it's a 2-stroke so it'll pry seize on you randomly at some point even if you maintain it properly. As well as it likely being pretty sensitive to proper jetting and everything else.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Oh, well, fair enough I guess.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Shimrod posted:

Oh, well, fair enough I guess.

Imagine you back off and tip it into a long, fast corner at 90mph on your track of choice. As you get to the apex a couple seconds later the back cylinder seizes solid, instantly locking the back wheel up.

This is actually a feature not a bug on loving Shite liveried Suzooks, because it allows owners to have the very same "flying through the air and smashing their limbs to pieces" experience as their hero Daryl Beattie!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Saga posted:

Imagine you back off and tip it into a long, fast corner at 90mph on your track of choice.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
I must not have seen that movie? Field of dreams in the desert?

e:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

slidebite posted:

Holy gently caress, what's got CA's panties in a knot today? :wtc:

we've been hanging out too much and now our menstrual cycles are synchronized.

WHOOPS SEXISM!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Saga posted:

I must not have seen that movie? Field of dreams in the desert?

e:

Jurassic Park, you prole. :)

It's the scene in the beginning where the little boy says Velociraptors don't look that scary, and Dr. Grant asks him to imagine a raptor attack.

Dr. Alan Grant posted:

Try to imagine yourself in the Cretaceous Period. You get your first look at this "six foot turkey" as you enter a clearing. He moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing his head. And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Velociraptor. You stare at him, and he just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side,
[makes 'whoshing' sound]
from the other two 'raptors you didn't even know were there. Because Velociraptor's a pack hunter, you see, he uses coordinated attack patterns and he is out in force today. And he slashes at you with this... a six-inch retractable claw, like a razor, on the the middle toe. He doesn't bother to bite your jugular like a lion, say... no no. He slashes at you here... or here... or maybe across the belly, spilling your intestines. The point is... you are alive when they start to eat you. So you know... try to show a little respect.

Edit:
VVVVVV "I MUST HAVE IT MY WAY!"

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 19, 2012

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I was driving home from work yesterday on a two lane highway (two lanes each way). I went into the left lane to pass a van, and in my rearview mirror I see a red Audi barreling down the road, probably going 10-20 mph faster than everyone else. I get around the van and put my turn signal on to indicate I'm moving right so this guy can get around me. Well, that doesn't sit well with this fellow who decided to split between the van and myself. I'm glad I was in the outside of my lane or I would have been pasted to the road. I check myself, the van driver gives me a "what the gently caress was that" look, and I continue driving. This Audi, however, continues to swerve in and out of traffic, then slam on his brakes (I heard the squealing) and whip a right hand turn from the left lane into Burger King :wtc:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
When you gotta go, you gotta go.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

americanzero4128 posted:

I was driving home from work yesterday on a two lane highway (two lanes each way). I went into the left lane to pass a van, and in my rearview mirror I see a red Audi barreling down the road, probably going 10-20 mph faster than everyone else. I get around the van and put my turn signal on to indicate I'm moving right so this guy can get around me. Well, that doesn't sit well with this fellow who decided to split between the van and myself. I'm glad I was in the outside of my lane or I would have been pasted to the road. I check myself, the van driver gives me a "what the gently caress was that" look, and I continue driving. This Audi, however, continues to swerve in and out of traffic, then slam on his brakes (I heard the squealing) and whip a right hand turn from the left lane into Burger King :wtc:

I'm guessing that pants making GBS threads was imminent

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

echomadman posted:

I'm guessing that pants making GBS threads was imminent

on both parties' parts.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm convinced this is the reason most gloves nowadays really come with comically large knuckle armor. It's not for sliding protection...

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah... always be prepared to bail onto RT1 through VA.

Thanks for the advice and offer, but I managed to fit a change of clothes in my backback since its only a one day trip down there.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

americanzero4128 posted:

Morons will be.

That said - if you were dominating your lane he wouldn't have been able to do that. Proper lane position.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

americanzero4128 posted:

Audi drivers will be Audi drivers. They are on my list of cars to avoid being near, along with Subarus, Volvos, and VWs. I'm profiling here, but people who drive those cars are dangerous.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

How do you typify Subaru drivers?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

They drive predictably unpredictably.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

clutchpuck posted:

Audi drivers will be Audi drivers. They are on my list of cars to avoid being near, along with Subarus, Volvos, and VWs. I'm profiling here, but people who drive those cars are dangerous.

What gives with the Volvo drivers? Mostly old and slow to react? I'll take that.

I'm not a typical Volvo driver, though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

clutchpuck posted:

They drive predictably unpredictably.

Drive fine but their dogs will snap at you as you pass

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I'm a Subaru driver and a rider. What does that make me? :ohdear:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

Depends. Someone in a Legacy or any non-Impreza is probably fine, like a Volvo driver but with functioning eyes. Imprezas though... my rule of thumb is the more random poo poo stuck to it to make it look like a WRC, the wider a berth to give it. If it's got a race livery, just park up, phone home, and say goodbye to your family.

(Drivers in actual WRCs are normally okay though, oddly - maybe they feel they don['t have anything to prove).

Oh, on the RGV thing - to give you an idea, my Aprilia RS125 - which was a Rotax engine, so generally considered much more reliable than the Suzuki in the RS250 and that RGV - had 4,000 *kilometre* service intervals. At 12,000 kms - you know, when most bikes just need an oil and filter change - you had to replace the piston, rings and reed valves and inspect and replace if needed the cylinder lining, power valve, power valve solenoid, and little and big end bearings.

(Amazingly that big service cost only £200, not much more than a big service on my Shiver 15 years later - the 125 was an absolute dream to work on, none of that work requires the engine to come out)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

XYLOPAGUS posted:

What gives with the Volvo drivers? Mostly old and slow to react? I'll take that.

I'm not a typical Volvo driver, though.

The version I've heard is that lots of people buy Volvos for their well-deserved reputation for safety. Hence, they tend to be people who are less focused on things like performance and active safety in the form of handling. Because they feel safer, they tend to take a "my Volvo will save me" approach to road safety.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

The version I've heard is that lots of people buy Volvos for their well-deserved reputation for safety. Hence, they tend to be people who are less focused on things like performance and active safety in the form of handling. Because they feel safer, they tend to take a "my Volvo will save me" approach to road safety.

Xovaan gonna track you all down and kick ALL yo' asses.

Also, as the owner of a NA Impreza wagon, I try to keep out of my own way so I don't run myself over.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I stay the hell away from any male under 30, because they are statistically more likely to cause and be in an accident than anyone else.

no I don't

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I just had my best friend of 6 years ask me why I was wearing pants and a jacket in 110 heat on my motorcycle, when I said "because im riding a motorcycle?", she said she didnt care and would ride without all of those in this weather. Might have to find a new friend.

Shes the one who originally wanted to get our licenses together but bailed at the last second so I got it with my mom instead.

:psyduck:

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 19, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I keep my gear on BECAUSE of the heat. Better to have the sun beating down on a layer of leather than right through a t-shirt.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

clutchpuck posted:

I keep my gear on BECAUSE of the heat. Better to have the sun beating down on a layer of leather than right through a t-shirt.

Clutchpuck knows what's up. That layer of insulation actually helps you cool off, contrary to squid-beliefs. It's not all that uncomfortable if you have a well-ventilated helmet (with earplugs) and you're going at speed.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

slidebite posted:

I stay the hell away from any male under 30, because they are statistically more likely to cause and be in an accident than anyone else.

no I don't

I avoid every fourth person, because statistically, they have herpes.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Clutchpuck knows what's up. That layer of insulation actually helps you cool off, contrary to squid-beliefs. It's not all that uncomfortable if you have a well-ventilated helmet (with earplugs) and you're going at speed.

Unless you're wearing black. My next bits of summer gear are going to be silver or white.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Yup, all black gear except my Jeans :eng99:. Not too bad when I'm moving but god drat if I'm sitting on the 95 in traffic I wish I could lane split because I'm usually cutting the engine so I don't get roasted.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't know if the color of gear matters a whole hell of a lot especially when compared with a t-shirt. I wear black, and while the leather itself gets pretty warm, it doesn't conduct much heat inside to me - it's like my own personal portable shade.

I also believe solid leather is better than mesh or perf because above 90f or so you want to avoid the wind hitting your skin, which is what mesh and perf is designed to allow. Below that temp, you can open vents on a solid and be just about as comfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I try real hard to avoid injury or illness, I have three major no-go areas:

1) biology
2) physics
3) chemistry

No accidents so far.