Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Yeah, they're fused in a giant stack. I've been hesitant about popping them all in the microwave since the outer ones would cook faster; I could take them out periodically and peel off the ones on the top, but then I worry about them all getting too tough/weird from being microwaved and then frozen AGAIN.

I guess you get what you pay for at 10 bucks for a pack of 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Are there "ridges" seperating each tortilla or is it all one, solid stack? If so, how about some getting some cheesewire to seperate them? You'd have to go to a slightly fancy cookery store but it wouldn't be *that* expensive. Although really, too expensive to justify when we're talking about a problem with bulk frozen tortillas.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

tarepanda posted:

Yeah, they're fused in a giant stack. I've been hesitant about popping them all in the microwave since the outer ones would cook faster; I could take them out periodically and peel off the ones on the top, but then I worry about them all getting too tough/weird from being microwaved and then frozen AGAIN.

I guess you get what you pay for at 10 bucks for a pack of 40.

That's not even that good of a price. You can buy a 10 pack for under $2.

But yeah, you're going to have to let them get up to room temperature. Maybe let them sit on the counter over night when you get them home and then repackage them in freezer bags with whatever quantity you generally use with that pizza dough paper in between individual tortillas.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Why not just keep them in the refrigerator instead? It'll take a day or so for them to thaw, but they should come apart easily afterwards. But I agree with spregalia, just buy a smaller non-frozen package at the grocery store. I've never heard of bulk frozen tortilla before.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

stubblyhead posted:

Why not just keep them in the refrigerator instead? It'll take a day or so for them to thaw, but they should come apart easily afterwards.

They are frozen at Costco. I keep them in the fridge and they do not come apart easily afterwards, which is why I presented my problem here.

stubblyhead posted:

But I agree with spregalia, just buy a smaller non-frozen package at the grocery store. I've never heard of bulk frozen tortilla before.

It costs about 13 bucks for a pack of ten flour tortillas at a normal grocery store. I live in Japan.

spregalia posted:

That's not even that good of a price. You can buy a 10 pack for under $2.

See above.

spregalia posted:

But yeah, you're going to have to let them get up to room temperature. Maybe let them sit on the counter over night when you get them home and then repackage them in freezer bags with whatever quantity you generally use with that pizza dough paper in between individual tortillas.

I've tried that and they stick to each other, which is why I asked here.

Hoops posted:

Are there "ridges" seperating each tortilla or is it all one, solid stack? If so, how about some getting some cheesewire to seperate them? You'd have to go to a slightly fancy cookery store but it wouldn't be *that* expensive. Although really, too expensive to justify when we're talking about a problem with bulk frozen tortillas.

One solid stack. I've never been able to find cheesewire in Japan, though that's a good idea. I should see if I can just find some thin wire.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
The problem is that you are getting them frozen because Japan. Normal bulk packs stick a slight bit but come unstuck when they are microwaved for a few seconds in a sealed container of some kind

If you have had fajitas at a restaurant, then you have seen the best microwave container for heating (and thus unsticking) flour tortillas. A Zip lock bag does as good a job, but does not look good. Plastic wrap over a plate does a good job too.

The key to unsticking them is to moisturize the air in the sealed space, not necessarily so much to heat the tortillas themselves. So sprinkle some water on the tortillas and heat them for as short a time as possible, reportion them into meal portions.

The other way to separate them right before you eat them is to lay the tortilla directly on a stove heating element. It browns it lightly and you can then peel the top ones off rather easily. Of course Japan is all gas so that does not work as well.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
As mentioned before, I can do that, but the worry is that microwaving and refreezing them will affect the taste/texture.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
I didn't realize the Japan part. That definitely changes the ballgame in terms of buying smaller quantities. I'm all out of tips and tricks to unstick them beyond what I've suggested though, sorry. Best of luck though, no man should have to suffer a tortilla-less existence.

As far as microwaving them, wrap them in lightly dampened paper towels (if you bunch it up and squeeze, no water should come out). This will keep them from becoming dry. But I'd stick to very short increments of time between separation attempts.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

tarepanda posted:

As mentioned before, I can do that, but the worry is that microwaving and refreezing them will affect the taste/texture.

Then pay better attention to how long you are microwaving them: you are not trying to heat them just lightly steam them when separating the pack into portions.

The ones you get in many restaurants may have been microwaved several times before you get them if the restaurant buys them in frozen bulk packs (once to separate in to portions, and once before serving), and they are light and fluffy and not stale, because like anything, if it is done sloppy it sucks, but if due care is paid, it's fine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am moving with a friend who uses her Comcast email as her main address for some insane reason. She wants to keep Comcast solely because of this even though I get a better deal from Qwest. Is there anything she can do short of changing her email on all of her accounts? Is there a way to get her old emails forwarded to a new account?

She wants to keep it because she is scared she thinks she is gonna miss important student loan emails and such but I think that is an absolutely retarded reason to keep a service i don't even want. Especially after i went out of my way to get a really good deal from Qwest.

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006
Holy poo poo I have a song in my head but don't know the name and it is driving me INSANE. It's a slow kinda cheesy guitar-based song (think like a solo jazz guitar) which I think of as a love song and maybe having "love" and/or "star" in the name but I can not for the life of me figure it out. It is very basic, guitar playing high notes... this is probably the worst way ever to share it but it's worth a shot:

http://www.google.com/doodles/rober...YhcTZhmGYYhgA..

Winner can have :10bux: for something if they need it. Even a suggestion on a better way to record/share the tune would help.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Clevername Lookhere posted:

Holy poo poo I have a song in my head but don't know the name and it is driving me INSANE. It's a slow kinda cheesy guitar-based song (think like a solo jazz guitar) which I think of as a love song and maybe having "love" and/or "star" in the name but I can not for the life of me figure it out. It is very basic, guitar playing high notes... this is probably the worst way ever to share it but it's worth a shot:

http://www.google.com/doodles/rober...YhcTZhmGYYhgA..

Winner can have :10bux: for something if they need it. Even a suggestion on a better way to record/share the tune would help.

I cant really help as I don't have any speakers around. But a bit more info would be great. Is it a recent song or something you heard long ago? Is someone singing? If yes, woman or man? What triggered it to become stuck? Is it/was it a mainstream song?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Another air conditioning question.

I've got a "portable" unit attached to a window with both intake and exhaust fans. Ever since I set it up, it was filling up a reasonably large bucket with draining/condensation/whatever about 1.5 times a day.

Yesterday, I sealed around the intake/exhaust tubes a bit better, and now there's an extremely nominal amount of this drainage. I'm wondering why.

It's been on auto mode aiming for 27°C, but it hasn't been any cooler now than it was before (so it's been active just the same amount). Is the better sealing the reason it's not draining as much, or something else altogether?

Just strange that at this rate I could probably last four or five days before draining it, whereas before it was probably twice a day to be safe.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Air conditioners dry out the air - this is where the condensation comes from. I'd bet that with better sealing, the already-dry inside air is mixing less with the more-humid outside air, so when the air conditioner draws in air from inside your house to cool, it's already drier/cooler. You might also see a corresponding drop in power use - the house isn't any cooler, but the conditioner isn't working as hard to keep it there.

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006

Helios Grime posted:

I cant really help as I don't have any speakers around. But a bit more info would be great. Is it a recent song or something you heard long ago? Is someone singing? If yes, woman or man? What triggered it to become stuck? Is it/was it a mainstream song?

Good questions...sorry I didn't think of better extra info to give. It is a song I have been hearing for a while now, I feel like it is a bit of an old-timey song. I don't know if it has words though...might be an instrumental which could make it even harder to figure out!

The first time I heard it and actually paid attention to it was at a blues bar in Chicago. One guy there (Pistol Pete) plays it all the time, and I knew the name of it at one point but have forgotten. I checked his website but he doesn't have this song on there from what I listened to. But I have heard it a few other times as well and heard an acoustic guitarist playing it tonight but didn't have the chance to ask him what it was - that's what triggered it again.

I don't think it is a mainstream song, especially since it's probably pretty old, but people might recognize it if they heard it. It almost sounds Hawaiian with the way the guitar sounds in it, but is probably not a Hawaiian song. Sorry if this is a dumb aimless question but I'm hoping that's what this thread is for!

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006
OK now we are getting somewhere! Found him on youtube...it's the song he is playing for the first bit of this video. The main part is skipped at first but picks up again at 1:16. Hopefully the first minute or two will be enough to jog somebody's memory!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxewA4yMGQk

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
In the film version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, is Uncle Vernon wearing a fat suit, or maybe just a pillow or something under his shirt? He's noticeably larger than in the previous movie, and his bulk has a very unnatural look to it.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

stubblyhead posted:

In the film version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, is Uncle Vernon wearing a fat suit, or maybe just a pillow or something under his shirt? He's noticeably larger than in the previous movie, and his bulk has a very unnatural look to it.

Doing some googling it looks like the actor who plays Vernon (Richard Griffiths) is just incredibly fat. Interestingly the kid who played the son Dudley needed to wear one in later films.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Helios Grime posted:

Doing some googling it looks like the actor who plays Vernon (Richard Griffiths) is just incredibly fat. Interestingly the kid who played the son Dudley needed to wear one in later films.

Yeah, he's definitely a big guy, no disputing that. It really does look like he's got a pillow under his shirt though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

stubblyhead posted:

Yeah, he's definitely a big guy, no disputing that. It really does look like he's got a pillow under his shirt though.

No, he really is that fat.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Clevername Lookhere posted:

OK now we are getting somewhere! Found him on youtube...it's the song he is playing for the first bit of this video. The main part is skipped at first but picks up again at 1:16. Hopefully the first minute or two will be enough to jog somebody's memory!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxewA4yMGQk

It jogged my brother's memory. :) It is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bFp-DlVNtk

(Santo & Johnny - Sleepwalk)

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Can a virus get cancer?

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

concerned mom posted:

Can a virus get cancer?

The virus itself? No. But viruses have been linked to cancer (e.g. HPV and ovarian cancer).

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

spregalia posted:

The virus itself? No. But viruses have been linked to cancer (e.g. HPV and ovarian cancer).

How come? Does RNA not mutate?

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

concerned mom posted:

How come? Does RNA not mutate?

Cancer is uncontrolled proliferation of cells. Viruses are not cells, and are unable to replicate without hijacking a host's cell and forcing it to make viral particles. There is some debate over whether or not a virus is even 'alive', because it cannot reproduce on its own.

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006

WillieWestwood posted:

Yes!!! Thank you!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Frozen Tortilla guy, make your own tortillas. Flour, water, fat, salt. I've never lived in japan but I think you can get all of those things there.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

WillieWestwood posted:

this is a lovely song, thank you for bringing it to our attention :)

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Whats the best way to get the smell of mildew (?) out of my tennis shoes?

About a month ago I went fishing with my dad for father's day. I didn't really know what I was getting into and just wore my regular tennis shoes. The day rained and our boat was filled with water so my shoes were more or less submerged for several hours.

Now weeks later they still smell like an old gym locker. I have to assume the water did something whether it be mildew or unlocking the scent stored up in them over several years.

I've put them through the washing machine twice, sprayed them down with Febreze and left them in a warm dry place for over a week and the smell isn't really improving. It's still strong enough that I can smell them just sitting here in my office chair.

Is there some secret easy method I'm overlooking?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Try baking soda.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Throwing them in the trash.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Xenoborg posted:

Whats the best way to get the smell of mildew (?) out of my tennis shoes?

About a month ago I went fishing with my dad for father's day. I didn't really know what I was getting into and just wore my regular tennis shoes. The day rained and our boat was filled with water so my shoes were more or less submerged for several hours.

Now weeks later they still smell like an old gym locker. I have to assume the water did something whether it be mildew or unlocking the scent stored up in them over several years.

I've put them through the washing machine twice, sprayed them down with Febreze and left them in a warm dry place for over a week and the smell isn't really improving. It's still strong enough that I can smell them just sitting here in my office chair.

Is there some secret easy method I'm overlooking?

Put them in a plastic bag to keep moisture out and freeze them. That kills the active cultures that are making the smell. Other than that, maybe try an enzymatic cleaner. I can't think of the name, but I think it has "fizz" in it, and it's a tablet that you dissolve in water. It's supposed to be for pet ofor.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
That Santo and Johnny - Sleepwalk song, I recognized it right off as something I knew, when the bluesman played it then the actual song someone posted. I just had no clue the artist or name.

As soon as I heard it today I immediately started associating that song in my mind with something really dark and creepy happening in a movie while that song played. Wikipedia says it was used in La bamba, S. King's sleepwalkers and 12 monkeys. 12 monkeys isn't what I'm thinking of and I haven't seen the other 2. Any ideas what I'm thinking of? edit: now I'm thinking there may have been aliens involved, maybe they were tuning in to an earth broadcast?

Another unrelated question: I recently bought some Wolverine wellington style pull-on boots. I've never owned anything pull on before, I've worn lace-up work boots forever. New boots are high-dollar ones and comfy as hell when just standing (my old wolverine lace ups were cheap model) but I practically have to keep my toes curled when I'm walking especially walking fast to keep them from flopping all around like sandals. It's because there's nothing tight against the top of my foot. What do I do here? develop a new walking technique?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 19, 2012

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
While we're on this subject, there's a song that I hear all the time but don't know the name of. It's also an instrumental but mostly piano. It may be only piano actually, I'm not sure. I think it's from the 50s as well. It's in a major key, fairly slow tempo, with a kind of bittersweet melody. It feels like the last song they'd play at a honky tonk bar before closing for the night. Any idea what the name of this might be?

Wagonburner posted:

As soon as I heard it today I immediately started associating that song in my mind with something really dark and creepy happening in a movie while that song played. Wikipedia says it was used in La bamba, S. King's sleepwalkers and 12 monkeys. 12 monkeys isn't what I'm thinking of and I haven't seen the other 2. Any ideas what I'm thinking of?

Here's the Santo and Johnny page on imdb, most are for use of Sleepwalk. Any of them sound familiar?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

stubblyhead posted:

Here's the Santo and Johnny page on imdb, most are for use of Sleepwalk. Any of them sound familiar?

Nope. I'm guessing I made this association up in my head or maybe it was really from 12 monkeys what I'm thinking of. I guess I need to re-watch, there's never a reason too small to watch that movie again. BATTERY. OPERATED. SEXUAL. DEVICES!

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 19, 2012

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

While we're on this subject, there's a song that I hear all the time but don't know the name of. It's also an instrumental but mostly piano. It may be only piano actually, I'm not sure. I think it's from the 50s as well. It's in a major key, fairly slow tempo, with a kind of bittersweet melody. It feels like the last song they'd play at a honky tonk bar before closing for the night. Any idea what the name of this might be?

This probably isn't it, but Tom Waits' Closing Time jumps strongly to mind from your description. Even though it's not from the 50s (but could be) and conspicuously features non-piano instruments.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

This probably isn't it, but Tom Waits' Closing Time jumps strongly to mind from your description. Even though it's not from the 50s (but could be) and conspicuously features non-piano instruments.

Nope, definitely not that. I'm only guessing at the vintage really, but I do remember hearing it as a kid in the 80s sometimes. I also vaguely recall it being the b-side of an REM single (or maybe some other band from back then), but I can't find an REM single backed with the song I'm thinking of.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

Throwing them in the trash.
A few people, including my mom when I asked her about it, suggested I just throw them away, but I really don't want to spend $100 on a new pair if I don't have to.

Very Strange Things posted:

Put them in a plastic bag to keep moisture out and freeze them. That kills the active cultures that are making the smell. Other than that, maybe try an enzymatic cleaner. I can't think of the name, but I think it has "fizz" in it, and it's a tablet that you dissolve in water. It's supposed to be for pet ofor.
This sounds good and I'll try it tonight when I get home. Should I put something in the bag like rice or baking powder? How long should I leave them in, overnight, a week, longer?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Xenoborg posted:

A few people, including my mom when I asked her about it, suggested I just throw them away, but I really don't want to spend $100 on a new pair if I don't have to.

This sounds good and I'll try it tonight when I get home. Should I put something in the bag like rice or baking powder? How long should I leave them in, overnight, a week, longer?

Overnight is fine, plus a few hours or so I imagine; it just needs to freeze completely all the way through.
I don't think a desiccant is necessary, but it won't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Very Strange Things posted:

Overnight is fine, plus a few hours or so I imagine; it just needs to freeze completely all the way through.
I don't think a desiccant is necessary, but it won't hurt.

IMO you might as well try it for 3 days. You want it to freeze through, and then some little organisms might take a day or two to die of the cold.

My reference for this is killing moth eggs in grain, so you don't have to listen to me, but you might as well use the few extra days.