Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

UncleGuito posted:

So does Flipboard on the Nexus 7 run using the phone interface (flip up/down) or is it optimized for tablets? I'm thinking about selling my iPad 2 but Flipboard is one of my most used apps on it- I don't really want to get rid of it if the experience isn't the same.
It's the phone interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I purchased an XOSkin for my Nexus 7. I googled a bit and found a 40% coupon, so it was only ten dollars. I intend on not using a case, and just using a screen protector. The vendor has a lifetime warranty, so if it's dinged you can just get a new one). I did that with my other tablets, and it works pretty well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tunga posted:

How does the N7 compare in terms of hardware to the GNex. The N7 feels even more responsive and smooth to me and I was just wondering if it is better specced or if it's just placebo from the screen size. There are so many different SoCs and whatever else that I really have no clue how to compare.

Are you comparing it to a GNex with Jelly Bean? JB made the GNex a lot smoother, so if you're comparint the JB N7 with an ICS GNex, that would explain some of the difference.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

It's the phone interface.
Flipboard is pretty nacent on Android, I would expect this to change. (But I wouldn't ditch an iPad and buy a Nexus until it does.)

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Chas McGill posted:

The fingerprints will really bother me for the first week or so, then I won't even notice them.

Got mine a few hours ago, though I haven't actually turned it on yet. The packaging isn't nearly as bad as those videos made it out to be. The sleeve is quite tight, yes, but it didn't take much effort to get off. I'm a packaging nerd and, while this isn't amazing, it isn't as bad as many electronics I've bought and I like how unfussy the box is.

I also really like the dimpled back. One of the things I hate about Ipads and other shiny electronics is their lack of tactility and texture. Quite impressed with the build and design on show at this price point.

I was expecting to need the jaws of life after watching that unboxing compilation video. Instead I carefully removed the sleeve (which was a bit tight as you said), cut the tape with an actual blade, and easily opened the box. I don't know what the hell was wrong with all those people.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Yeah that would annoy the hell out of me. If I use anything I'd want it to look and feel as much like the naked glass as possible, just with less fingerprints.

I've had good luck with Skinomi skins in this regard. Doesn't noticeably change screen quality, still nice and smooth to the touch.

http://www.amazon.com/Skinomi-TechS...skinomi+nexus+7

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

SouthLAnd posted:

I decided to put ICS on my Kindle Fire, although now I'm thinking I should have thrown on a Jelly Bean rom, this is pretty fun so far though.

All the essentials, right there. :frogc00l:

Go to the market and get Awful Betamax instead of Awful. Thank me later.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Does anyone know of a TPU case for the TF-101? I'd love one, but I've had no success in finding something. Googling with "case" and "transformer" just gets me Transformers-themed crap.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Gerdalti posted:

I'm going to go ahead and thank you right now.

Thanks! :):respek::)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Finally got home and tried the Nexus out. Holy poo poo Jellybean is nice. Takes a little getting used to coming from Eclair (2.2...) yet already I can see how far the OS has come since.

Having a loving Jeffrey Archer book and Transformers sitting in the middle of the screen like stinky turds on a pristine rug was a bit of a disappointment, though.

Now I just need to figure out what to spend my £15 credit on. Tempted by one of those graphics intensive games I've been avoiding.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Walmart has pre orders up for the Nexus 7. Shipped and arriving no later than the 30th

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

oxsnard posted:

Walmart has pre orders up for the Nexus 7. Shipped and arriving no later than the 30th

You can probably just walk into a staples before then and pick one up.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Gerdalti posted:

Thank you! :worship:

How long has this been hiding from me?

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Chas McGill posted:

Now I just need to figure out what to spend my £15 credit on. Tempted by one of those graphics intensive games I've been avoiding.
Zen Pinball and Pinball Arcade are both awesome if you want something to show the Nexus off that's actually fun.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

I already have a Kindle Fire, but drat, I want a Nexus 7 so badly. I rooted the Kindle, but I'm returning it to stock cause I don't like the battery life with the ROMs I've put on it, and I'm also gonna unroot it, in case I need to do a warrenty swap out on it. I just don't like how closed in the Kindle's OS is. Would it be worth it to sell the Kindle and get a Nexus?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BobbyDrake posted:

I just don't like how closed in the Kindle's OS is.
This is enough to answer your question right there.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

BobbyDrake posted:

I already have a Kindle Fire, but drat, I want a Nexus 7 so badly. I rooted the Kindle, but I'm returning it to stock cause I don't like the battery life with the ROMs I've put on it, and I'm also gonna unroot it, in case I need to do a warrenty swap out on it. I just don't like how closed in the Kindle's OS is. Would it be worth it to sell the Kindle and get a Nexus?
You can get about $80 for it from instantsale.ebay.com which means you could probably get $120 on eBay or Craigslist. Seems like $80 is a good trade up.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I purchased an XOSkin for my Nexus 7. I googled a bit and found a 40% coupon, so it was only ten dollars. I intend on not using a case, and just using a screen protector. The vendor has a lifetime warranty, so if it's dinged you can just get a new one). I did that with my other tablets, and it works pretty well.

I had an XOSkin on my Galaxy Nexus. On a hot as gently caress day in the south the loving thing melted together to my work badge and the screen was ruined.

Other then that it was great!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

teethgrinder posted:

Flipboard is pretty nacent on Android, I would expect this to change. (But I wouldn't ditch an iPad and buy a Nexus until it does.)
Why would you expect flipboard to make a tablet version for android when they've said there are no plans to do so?

http://gigaom.com/mobile/flipboard-launches-on-android-phones-no-plans-for-a-tablet-app/

quote:

While the move to Android phones has been long-awaited, '€™s marketing executive Marci McCue said there is no rush to build a version for larger Android tablets and it isn't on the company'€™s roadmap.

"We focus on taking one step at a time. As far as tablets go, the biggest player is the iPad. We’ll watch the (tablet) market but right now the market is the iPad," said McCue. She said there may be some Android devices that have undergone less testing for the Flipboard app, but she said it should work for most higher-end devices.

I wonder why they wouldn't just do that easy thing where you make it all universal like the awful Betamax app?

Edit: \/\/\/ how would I know what you're aware of ? I was just asking what you based your expectation on.

randyest fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 19, 2012

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Why would you phrase your reply in such a way when I was obviously unaware of that statement?

Anyway, that article is a month old. A lot has changed since then. The Nexus wasn't even announced.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 19, 2012

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

SouthLAnd posted:

Thank you! :worship:

How long has this been hiding from me?

update: walmart has removed the estimate. Don't count on it coming then now

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Don Lapre posted:

You can probably just walk into a staples before then and pick one up.

Depends where you are. Every Stapes in the New York City metropolitan area is sold out. I biked to a hidden Staples tucked under a highway, in a weird area near the queens / brooklyn border, and the guy said they had sold “all four.” Four is apparently the standard shipment Staples is getting.

Previously you could view the N7 on the staples site and see which stores had it in stock, but now you can't even get to the N7 on staples.com.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I'm starting to think that I just want to buy an 8GB version of the nexus and use an OTG cable and a flash drive for trips and whatnot. I know I'd have to root in order to do this, but does that gently caress up my ability to receive OTA updates from google?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Are you comparing it to a GNex with Jelly Bean? JB made the GNex a lot smoother, so if you're comparint the JB N7 with an ICS GNex, that would explain some of the difference.

Nah, both JB stock rooted. I think it's just the size. I'm super happy with both anyway :) .

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
Apparently the screen on my Nexus 7 cracked on its own today. I was using it this morning, left for work, and came back home to find the screen unresponsive with a crack running diagonally. I have only used it for a few hours watching a few movies and browsing the web. :waycool:

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Did you do anything like open it up to tighten up the screen screws? It is most likely someone else in your household dropped it and didn't notice the crack, but it would be good for people to know that retensioning those screws may have caused this.

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

Turnquiet posted:

Did you do anything like open it up to tighten up the screen screws? It is most likely someone else in your household dropped it and didn't notice the crack, but it would be good for people to know that retensioning those screws may have caused this.

I have the creaky screen issue that other people have been complaining about, but opted to not fix it as I just didn't care that much. There was no one at my house when I was at work. I literally have no idea as to what could have caused this.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

atehist posted:

Apparently the screen on my Nexus 7 cracked on its own today. I was using it this morning, left for work, and came back home to find the screen unresponsive with a crack running diagonally. I have only used it for a few hours watching a few movies and browsing the web. :waycool:

Good luck convincing Asus/Google that happened.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I'm curious what your reaction will be if he has a wonderful customer service experience.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rastor posted:

I'm curious what your reaction will be if he has a wonderful customer service experience.

I would be amazed even if Apple were to replace it without AppleCare

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

golgo13sf posted:

I would be amazed even if Apple were to replace it without AppleCare

I know I'm stuck with a broken and useless piece of poo poo device. I'm not even going to bother trying to deal with Asus/Google as literally no one would believe me about a screen breaking on its own.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

atehist posted:

I know I'm stuck with a broken and useless piece of poo poo device. I'm not even going to bother trying to deal with Asus/Google as literally no one would believe me about a screen breaking on its own.

There's no harm in trying, you should at least give it a shot.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

atehist posted:

I think a case could be made if the damage was from temperature, like if it sat in the sun or on top of an A/C vent or something. Certainly worth a try.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

atehist posted:

I'm not advocating this, and it maybe illegal and/or immoral, but I'd be a little tempted to say it arrived that way. Maybe it did and you didn't notice?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Is there some way to get a "conversation/thread" style view for the Exchange account email viewer in JB? This is probably my biggest gripe with the tablet.

PS: I dropped mine today and the screen is still alive :haw:.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

I think a case could be made if the damage was from temperature, like if it sat in the sun or on top of an A/C vent or something. Certainly worth a try.

This. It's not unheard of. I was in a buddy's car in winter time and the sunroof pretty much exploded shortly after the car warmed up.

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
It did get incredibly humid and hot today in a relatively short period of time, but I would have hoped that Google's Flagship Tablet wouldn't be susceptible to non-extreme temperature variations.

I got off the phone with Asus and opened a ticket with them. The person on the phone basically stated that all I could do was open a ticket, send it in, and go from there, where I am assuming it will promptly get rejected due to a crack. Hooray.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

atehist posted:

It did get incredibly humid and hot today in a relatively short period of time, but I would have hoped that Google's Flagship Tablet wouldn't be susceptible to non-extreme temperature variations.

I got off the phone with Asus and opened a ticket with them. The person on the phone basically stated that all I could do was open a ticket, send it in, and go from there, where I am assuming it will promptly get rejected due to a crack. Hooray.

Well look at it this way, if you don't try you're 100% guaranteed to not get a replacement for free, this way you're maybe only at 95%.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It sucks, but sometimes undetectable manufacturing defects get through. Believe me, I know. Just look in the Verizon thread where my Razr cracked in my pocket, while I was standing, with no impact or trauma of any kind. Motorola rejected my warranty claim and the only way it was getting fixed was to submit it to repair.

Did you buy it with a credit card? If so, check your member perks. You may have accidental damage coverage for a period after purchase. I know my AMEX does. I was able to salvage the $300 subsidized price from them by submitting a claim on the phone. They cover loss or damage within the first 90 days of purchase.

SquareTrade actually just released drop test videos for the Nexus 7 today and it passed with flying colors.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/19/video-nexus-7-drop-test-fully-functional-even-after-being-dropped-in-bathtub/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
That crack looks just like the eeepad transformer prime cracks people got.