Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Artificer posted:

Welp new avatar time for OhCrap, clearly.

Man. I'm surprised that we're getting dwarven kids that actually live to grow up. Usually we suffer a lot more kiddy casualties before that happens.

Well, he turned 12, and was 11 when he arrived, so, yeah. He lived a year!

So, you guys are producing a ton of content. It's been about 2.5 years into the fortress and you've done:

57 journal entries
27 portraits
6 landscapes
7 gods
7 enemies
3 drawings of artifacts
16 recorded songs
1 lyric

for a total of about 125 fan contributions.

Plus a variety of other stuff I haven't linked. That's kind of a terrifying pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
This is a picture of a goblin and a dwarf. The dwarf is attacking the goblin. The goblin is stabbing the dwarf. This artwork relates to the stabbing of Vim Fuego, female ranger, by a goblin thief in Bronzestabbed.

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 20, 2012

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

Plus a variety of other stuff I haven't linked. That's kind of a terrifying pace.

One that can't be maintained but holy poo poo is it entertaining so far.

I think one of the benefits of OhCrap's reign is that you can read her in whatever way you want to. I'll add to all of the previous ways a sort of troubled dwarven Sally Field based on the update that ended in "They heeded! They really heeded!"

Er, in other words updates are Good updates, and appreciated.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
hot goblin butt

Mortizzle
May 29, 2004

Not the good kind of anal
Hah flight delayed so got to read update in airport lounge. Awesome updates, awesome pics.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

From the Overseer Diary of OhCrap Mountainmist, 238, Bronzestabbed

25th Slate 238

Migrants bring word from sankis. Sankis reminds of Overseer Term. Must Do Faster.

Sankis provides migrant aliases and past professions:

Tosca Cake Trademartyr, Gem Cutter
Zapdos Lensblaze, Herbalist
Dallbun Channelwilted, Child
overthefalls Chainedlabored, Herbalist
Ventnor Ponderedmachine, Blacksmith
brute Bannercaves, Furnace Operator
Jessant Weakbasement, carpenter
Captain_Duck Inkfolds, Surgeon
Moonwalk Trusschamber, Trader
Barbarossa Priestfence, child
Saith Paddledthorn, Trapper
life_source Lanceinch, Gem Setter
Leal Chantglove, Weaver
woytaz Graveltested, Clothier
InwardChaos Trottedrag, Child
Strom Cuzewon Laboredmines, Engraver
Joecool Blotpulley, Hunter
Shorter Than Some Guardedcloisters, Woodcutter
Willie Tomg Bulbwork, Peasant
neongrey Apelance, Ranger
TremendousMajestic Abbeyjade, Siege Operator
Mlle Yellsmine, Hunter
Three Phase The Neurotic Cloisterscrape, Glassmaker
Dareon Coalwheels, Pump Operator
Teddles Hoodnet, Milker
Ven-Garr Specialaxes, Animal Dissector
Ajaxify Fencefame, Fishery Worker
Mzbundifund Lockurn, Ranger
PoptartsNinja Roughclimax, Siege Operator
Spikey Citygilds, Soap Maker

Migrants bring animals:

Stray Poult
Blue Peachick, pet of Strom Cuzewon Laboredmines
Stray goat kid
Stray mule foal
Dog, pet of life_source Lanceinch
Stray kitten
Poult, pet of willie_tomg bulbwork
Stray donkey foal
Stray Donkey

I will need a Bigger File and More Time to Do Records.

OhCrap fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 20, 2012

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Oh man, chances are high I'm going to be a child.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
A blacksmith, huh? I can work with that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Good lord, we're getting dwarves quickly. At this rate, we're going to end up getting sieged long before we have a proper military. I think that will be my priority one if I'm the next overseer.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

From the Private Overseer Files of OhCrap MountainMist, 237, Bronzestabbed

New Migrant Assessment - 25th Slate, 238

The following new migrants arrived on 25th Slate, 238. I have Assessed them Rigorously and my findings follow.

Tosca Cake Trademartyr

Zapdos Lensblaze

Dallbun Channelwilted

As a child, Dallbun has No Skills of note, but I Assess the following of her Personality for Future Assignment.

overthefalls Chainedlabored

overthefalls, parent of Zaodai and i poo poo trains, has come to see grandchildren Apeynap and John Charity Spring.. This will prove awkward.

Ventnor Ponderedmachine

Ventnor, parent of Zaodai and i poo poo trains, has come to see grandchildren Apeynap and John Charity Spring.. This will prove awkward.

brute Bannercaves

brute Bannercaves is a hulk of a dwarf.

Jessant Weakbasement

Captain_Duck Inkfolds

Moonwalk Trusschamber

Barbarossa Priestfence

As a child, Barabarossa has No Skills of note, but I Assess the following of her Personality for Future Assignment.

Saith Paddledthorn

life_source Lanceinch

Leal Chantglove

woytaz Graveltested

woytaz comes with Family to live with law-enforcing parents Gnu Sheriff in Town and Chickenfrogdwarf.

InwardChaos Trottedrag

As a child, InwardChaos has No Skills of note, but I Assess the following of her Personality for Future Assignment.

Strom Cuzewon Laboredmines

Joecool Blotpulley

Shorter Than Some Guardedcloisters

Willie Tomg Bulbwork

neongrey Apelance

TremendousMajestic Abbeyjade

Mlle Yellsmine

Three Phase The Neurotic Cloisterscrape

Dareon Coalwheels

Teddles Hoodnet

Ven-Garr Specialaxes

Ajaxify Fencefame

Ajaxify comes at My request to teach Daughter Geri Khan to be Good Parent and not Drink granddaughter.

Mzbundifund Lockurn

Mzbundifund comes at My request to teach Daughter Geri Khan to be Good Parent and not Drink granddaughter.

PoptartsNinja Roughclimax

Spikey Citygilds

OhCrap fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 20, 2012

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I didn't even know you could get parents of current dwarves to come live in your fortress. That is all kinds of awesome.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

OhCrap posted:

Moonwalk Trusschamber

Oh, sweet, I'm a trader apparently! And a competent Hammerdwarf, which means I'll probably be drafted soon unless I end up being the best broker/trader in the fortress. Hell, this is DF, so you might as well draft a broker anyway if they've got weapon skills :black101:

Also, if I might gripe about the current state of the game for a moment, it seems like almost every dwarf after year 2 or so comes in with lovely fishing skills and the fishing labors enabled by default, and it is just the biggest loving waste of time since they suck at fishing and so often prioritize it over the job they're actually supposed to be doing. poo poo, I would rather have a novice fisherdwarf do nothing but haul than actually go out and attempt to fish (or clean/dissect fish).

I suppose it'd be less of a problem if I used therapist, but I don't, so as it stands I pretty much have to disable fishing for every single migrant as they enter the screen. :argh:

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 20, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Good to see the parents stop by. Especially when their stats suggest they were good at kicking rear end, just like me and i poo poo trains. :black101:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

So I have:
Poor focus
Poor spatial senses
Disorganised
Bad aesthetic sensitivity

I'm the worst Great Engraver ever!

At least I'm quick to heal, presumably a tolerance built up from slipt chisels.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

25th Slate 238

Must do stronger Militia.

Must do stronger Militia.

Must do stronger Militia. And Job security.

Much Patrol will occur. New Overseer will see what a Good Overseer I was. Job will not be Taken Away.

Best Overseer.

Best Ever.

Good Overseer did not do Make Mistakes.

Oh No!

:supaburn: Militia to Dead Bad Spider found by Miners! :supaburn:

26th Slate 238

I poo poo TRAINS!

INTERNET KRAKEN AND SIRPENGUIN AND NOMIKOS AND ZAPDOS FIGHT TO SAVE I poo poo TRAINS

IDLES JOINS FRAY

WILLIE TOMG DIVES IN

ZAPDOS DOES BASHING

WILLIE TOMG DOES MAKE BAD SPIDER SICK

NEONGREY TO DO REMEDIAL ARCHERY AFTER SAVE I poo poo TRAINS, NOT CORRECT USE OF CROSSBOW

BAD SPIDER IS DEAD!

I poo poo TRAINS ALIVE! CALL GOOD MEDIC!

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
Um.

That was unexpected.

Combat log is here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?k1wx9unzkirdhwk

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The errant capitalisation reminds me of the very formal and archaic sounding writing from a back in the day, stuff like:

Thomas Hobbes posted:

Seeing the foundation of all true Ratiocination, is the constant Signification of words; which in the Dotrin following dependeth not on the Will of the Writer. For the Universe, being the Aggregate of all Bodies, there is no reall part thereof that is not also Body

But OhCrap, being a young petulent child-dwarf doesn't quite get it. It's clever, and bloody funny.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The errant capitalisation reminds me of the very formal and archaic sounding writing from a back in the day, stuff like:

But OhCrap, being a young petulent child-dwarf doesn't quite get it. It's clever, and bloody funny.

I prefer the idea that things like 'Good' and 'Make' are not the same as their vague non-capitalized versions; The Dwarfs have very strict ideas on what is 'Good' or 'Bad', and so on.
One might say they always refer to the same word in the original dwarf-language, while the rest of the writing might be adjusted for ease of reading by whoever decided to translate it to human.

For example, a Good Dwarf is not just 'good-aligned', or 'of positive quality', it is a healthy dwarf that obeys their superior and works hard and so on.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I had started to associate 'Bad' with 'murked' so as soon as I saw Bad Spider webbing up the fort I thought we were done. i poo poo trains is going to have the badassest scar. And a good story to tell.

Is the cavern hatch outdoors? That's sensible I guess but was a little confusing.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Boing posted:

I had started to associate 'Bad' with 'murked' so as soon as I saw Bad Spider webbing up the fort I thought we were done. i poo poo trains is going to have the badassest scar. And a good story to tell.

Is the cavern hatch outdoors? That's sensible I guess but was a little confusing.

Shat myself when I saw oodles of spider thread while writing up OhCrap Mountainmists starting preparation for a new overseer (almost down to last season). But I knew things could go in unexpected ways.

To be honest, I started writing just Spider and then checked myself. It was a spider, but not one she'd seen before, and it was attacking livestock. So it had to be Bad Spider.

The hatch is outside. There are no stairs inside the fortress, only ramps, and she was continuing this practice. But stairs would be faster for finding spider webs, which she ordered and then ... forgot.

Livestock make an excellent meatshield.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
He bruised his tongue. Ouch, that makes me cringe.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

OhCrap posted:

I poo poo TRAINS!

Am I the only person disturbed by this?

Not only did I poo poo Trains kiss a Giant Cave Spider, but he slipped it some tongue. This is clearly a deviant dwarf.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Giant cave spider out of nowhere!

Look at all that free silk...

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Pickled Tink posted:

Am I the only person disturbed by this?

Not only did I poo poo Trains kiss a Giant Cave Spider, but he slipped it some tongue. This is clearly a deviant dwarf.

This paints its later retching in a new, and entirely horrifying, light.

Could 'i poo poo trains' have mastered the rare and disgusting profession of Combat Snogdwarf? :cry:

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

27th Slate 238

Idles did deading blow to Bad Spider. Extra Soap for Idles.

Idles carries i poo poo trains to hospital.

i poo poo trains does not do Blood now but is Pale. He will Rest and Markus_cz will Diagnose.

28th Slate 238

Cavern traps had not Completed. That is why Bad Spider. Is Bad Spider of Murk?

1st Felsite 238

Markus_cz diagnoses that i poo poo trains has "great big bloody spider bite in Head you great gallumping idiot". I nod in Wisdom.

2nd Felsite 238

Goblin Snatcher!

Willie Tomg does chase!

Willie Tomg does catch!

3rd Felsite 238

Goblin is Nearly escaped but Willie Tomg Denies.

Goblin just barely escapes Willie Tomg vengeance.

5th Felsite 238

What is so good about Bad Munki battle axe?

I have Own Fine battle axe.

10th Felsite 238

Oh, for Ugath's sake.

Shorter Than Some reports Ghost!

Ghost is Bad Dwarf Bikindok! Does Murk make Ghost Dwarf?

I order to Engrave Slab of Bikindok, so:

BIKINDOK
BAD DWARF

DID NOT HEED.
BAD WEASELED.

Murk murks much.

Do not shout it! I already Know! I am Busy Patrolling and Watching Murk murk murkily.

11th Felsite 238

Good news! i poo poo trains is a Denty Head and looks Faint, but up and about!

Soap is Good Magic made by Dwarf! A Good Overseer made it!

Murk does Go Away without Need for Heed.

There is a Kangaroo tied down for Sport! I order do Train it. Kangaroo of War would Speed.

18th Felsite 238

Slab of Bad Dwarf Bikindok to install in Room of Justice at Entrance to Remind what happens to Bad Dwarfs who do not Redeem.

There is some mistake. I did not Order Elf?

OhCrap fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 5, 2012

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

OhCrap posted:

Markus_cz diagnoses that i poo poo trains has "great big bloody spider bite in Head you great gallumping idiot".

I had to explain to my officemates why I was laughing :negative:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

How did I poo poo TRAINS survive that? Giant cave spider venom is a potent full-body paralytic. He should've suffocated right on the spot!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

scamtank posted:

How did I poo poo TRAINS survive that? Giant cave spider venom is a potent full-body paralytic. He should've suffocated right on the spot!

He eats spider venom and shits trains.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

scamtank posted:

It takes a fairly long time to kill dwarves. He'll either suffocate later, or he was treated for it successfully in the hospital.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aww, crap, I'm still using that copper axe, and now I'm attached to it? Unless someone forcibly upgrades me, I'm doomed. :ohdear:

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.

Pickled Tink posted:

It takes a fairly long time to kill dwarves. He'll either suffocate later, or he was treated for it successfully in the hospital.

If the soap managed to clean his wounds before the paralysis syndrome took hold, he should be safe I think. One of the many benefits of soap!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
A little late, because updates are coming fast and furious.

OhCrap posted:

I think that Murk could make Bad Dwarf, or Worse Dwarf if already Bad Dwarf.

This is Good Logic. I approve.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

DrMelon posted:

If the soap managed to clean his wounds before the paralysis syndrome took hold, he should be safe I think. One of the many benefits of soap!

Pickled Tink posted:

Soapy baths remove infection risk and clean off syndrome contaminants, sure, but that venom went right in his blood. I don't know if it helped any there.

No matter. In my experience, dwarves are pretty quick to suffocate once respiration systems give. He's up and about, so he should be fine now, but I still can't understand how he made it that far.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Bad Munki posted:

Aww, crap, I'm still using that copper axe, and now I'm attached to it? Unless someone forcibly upgrades me, I'm doomed. :ohdear:

They'll have to. Someone who was not OhCrap Mistmountains set Bad Munki to have a copper battle axe in Equipment.

Next update is last for the day. Finally up to Summer!

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

19th Felsite 238

Bad Ghost Dwarf Bikindok finally Heeds!

20th Felsite 238

Negligence of Trap Dwarfs is Fixed.

21st Felsite 238

More Beasts for Train! Dwarfs will do Hunt from Air!

Nettle Soup trades with Elfs. Elfs have much Wood and Cheetah for Train War!

22nd Felsite 238

Kelli awakes and talks Strange of Make Craft!

I spy Kobold Scum!

I DO BATTLE ON KOBOLD

NOT NOW I AM BUSY

I MAKE VICTORY!

Kobold could not match Speed of OhCrap Mistmountains. Kobold could not Hurt.

A Good Overseer presents Good Example to Other Dwarfs.

25th Felsite 238

Gnu Sheriff in Town yells of fresh Kobold!

SirPenguin, Zapdos, and Willie Tomg rush to Dead Kobold!

i poo poo trains appears. Kobold shits bricks!

i poo poo trains chases and Kobold Runs much Faster!

Kobold will escape. He will tell other Kobolds of OhCrap, i poo poo trains.

Nomikos and Mlle spot another Kobold!

Kobold is too quick.

26th Felsite 238

Kelli talks Strange of Leather and Wood. Kelli has procured Wood. So Leather.

I order Kangaroo Leather.

28th Felsite 238

Crackmaster cries of Snatcher!

Run Revenant Threshold! Do not be Snatched!

Revenant Threshold escapes clutches of Goblin. Willie Tomg Runs but Goblin will escape.

1st Hematite 238

Not only I think it is Hot. Kangaroo is seen in Swimming Pool.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just want to say that i poo poo trains is my hero now.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

DrMelon posted:

The syndrome took hold immediately because he was paralysed in the spider's grasp, but I think it wore off before he had enough time to actually suffocate. I'm picturing i poo poo trains with a big bloody bandage tied around his head, already up and chasing kobolds around without a second thought.

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)

OhCrap posted:

Chickenfrogdwarf busies himself with Hammering lye and Sheriff.

Maybe I'm just immature, but this line is loving hilarious. I love your posts, OhCrap. Can't believe you guys almost skipped him for overseer.

And yay, my dwarf is in! You should totally make her military, all that brawn must be used for the Good of Bronzestabbed.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

brute_force posted:

Maybe I'm just immature, but this line is loving hilarious. I love your posts, OhCrap. Can't believe you guys almost skipped him for overseer.

And yay, my dwarf is in! You should totally make her military, all that brawn must be used for the Good of Bronzestabbed.

When I saw that you would be brute Bannercaves, I couldn't help a Hulk joke. Especially when it said she was muscular.

My posts are one long bad joke, such as:

Grittybeard posted:

a sort of troubled dwarven Sally Field based on the update that ended in "They heeded! They really heeded!"

I couldn't believe someone got the mangled reference :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

scamtank posted:

Soapy baths remove infection risk and clean off syndrome contaminants, sure, but that venom went right in his blood. I don't know if it helped any there.

No matter. In my experience, dwarves are pretty quick to suffocate once respiration systems give. He's up and about, so he should be fine now, but I still can't understand how he made it that far.

I was fully expecting him to die. His head was pissing blood.

i poo poo trains is a Dwarf God incarnate. :stare:

• Locked thread