Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Ahh I feel bad for abandoning this thread for so long. :(

I haven't messed with lego for a long-rear end time, but I was inspired by the new brick-textured piece and made a thing. See, I love taking textured pieces and playing with them and flipping them around, like turning log bricks and track pieces sideways to make cabin and siding textures or whatever.

The idea behind this moc was to use textures, not color, to detail the building. The theme in my head was "noir", so I had two ground rules based on that: 1) no color. White, gray, dark gray, and black only. 2) no transparent or metallic pieces. Windows would be solid color only. I was going for drab and dull, so shiny things would kind of kill that. Here's what I came up with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvrad
Jun 30, 2006

Dogen posted:

I felt like the mines looked kind of uninteresting aesthetically and didn't seem like a fun playset, what'd you like about it? Because clearly I need Boromir and that cave troll...

More than anything I love the accuracy and attention to detail. With the exception of the rest of the Fellowship the set has everything you need to recreate the entire Balin's Tomb scene. The skeleton falling down the well and the 3 destructible wall features are pretty cool. It comes with 7 minifigs (of which Gimli, Pippin, and the Cave Troll are great).

On the other hand, the set was smaller than I expected and I hated the stickers (there are a ton). The Balin's Tomb lever mechanism doesn't work and the treasure chest wasn't in the movie.

Moria is still much better than Weathertop though, which only has 2 play features that weren't in the movie and was disappointing considering it's 75% the cost of Moria.

Kvrad fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 18, 2012

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Weathertop was an excellent build. The structure is pretty solid and neat.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Some of you might remember I picked up a new-in-baggies sans box Message Intercept Base last year. I put it up on Craigslist, but nobody really bit so I got busy with school and didn't really think about it for 6 months or so. Now that summer's here and I had a little time, the kids and I put it together!

It's good I didn't sell it because one tiny bag with trans red pieces, headlight holders, and offset stud tiles was missing, but fortunately I had every missing part in my stash.

Sweet tunnel (the sections with the trans yellow pieces swing open for play access)

All done!

Shot of the back:

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
For the UK goons out there who are tempted by the Amazon IT and ES deals which are going on at the moment, I picked up 3 of the new star wars sets (Jabba's Palace, Fury-class interceptor and desert skiff) at 30% off. With the Euro currently slightly favourable, I couldn't argue with the prices!

What I would really like to say however is that the shipping actually occured from the UK, not Spain. I ordered yesterday, they were dispatched today via Citylink with an ETA of tomorrow. All I can say is that I will be buying from them again!

Thanks Brickbadger :)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

LordEvilElmo posted:

Thanks Brickbadger :)

You're welcome and thank you... and yeah, everything I've ordered has arrived next day. You can actually get some LOTR stuff for slightly less than UK retail at the moment, which is tempting me.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Those whatever-they're-called things above the windows are really nice.

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one
Anybody got an idea on fair price for bulk legos?

Guy on Craigslist in my area has a lot for sale, plastic tub 30 X 18 X 13 in size.

No idea on specific sets in the mix. He's saying $350, seems kinda high without knowing what's in there.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

dangittj posted:

Guy on Craigslist in my area has a lot for sale, plastic tub 30 X 18 X 13 in size.

No idea on specific sets in the mix. He's saying $350, seems kinda high without knowing what's in there.

30x18x13 is going to be a fair amount of lego, but weight is more important than volume. $6-7 per pound is usually a good price unless you know there's some good stuff in there. If he weighs it for you make sure you (somehow) get him to account for the weight of the container.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

dangittj posted:

$10/pound is on the high end of random mixed bulk; it assumes actual mixed sets with minifigs. Some sellers remove all the minifigs and uncommon pieces.

I've just about finished sorting a tub of similar size, and it weighed 40 pounds.

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one

Pyroclastic posted:

$10/pound is on the high end of random mixed bulk; it assumes actual mixed sets with minifigs. Some sellers remove all the minifigs and uncommon pieces.

I've just about finished sorting a tub of similar size, and it weighed 40 pounds.

Ill have to email back and see if I can get a weight. The lone picture doesn't have any identifiable parts aside from a quarter UFO panel.

Someone else has a similar lot (same price, similar size container but has lists of some of whats in there.... which includes:

6990 - Monorail Transport system
4559 - Cargo Railway
6285 - Black Seas Barracuda

among about 10 other listed sets and a number of identifiable parts (airport baseplates and crater baseplates from classic space)

Sadly they haven't responded to my email yet, otherwise I would be living my childhood dream of Lego Space Monorail right now.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Well I hadn't bought any new lego (or even took mine out of storage) for over a year, until this afternoon. Was in line at a Bartell Drugs and they had some of those special minifigures out for impulse buys. Picked one up and felt a big piece in there so I bought it and it was the spaceman. His gun and helmet are pretty cool. Looking at the pamphlet that came with it I wouldn't have minded the Aztec either but the rest are pretty lame. Is this really the 7th series?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yep, they release them what, every six months?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The first batch of Team GB figs is in the mail to me! My friend got swamped this week and couldn't get to the post office until today, but I have a tracking number and I've paypaled her the money. It's come out to ­£21 per set of 9 after shipping to the US. I don't expect the US shipping to exceed a few bucks, so my earlier estimation of between $35 and $40 was right. I should have them in hand by next Friday, assuming the east coast isn't destroyed by the weather.

Only the first three people get one from this batch, unless they want to give up their place, don't respond, don't pay, or someone else bribes me (hint: you don't really want that Message Intercept Base taking up all that space, do you?).
Those three are: djfooboo, PKMN Trainer Red, and Shuppiluliumas. Please either PM me or email me by adding 'hawk' to the end of my username @gmail and we'll get this thing going for real.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Email sent! Thanks again for doing this.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Picked up all the bigger LotR sets today, there was a bundle deal on walmart for weathertop and moria and amazon had a dented box helm's deep for 112bux through warehouse deals.

NEXT WEEK WILL BE AWESOME :circlefap: now i have to finally choose what display pieces are going to end up in storage, drat apartment living :smith:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Is this LoTR set coming out soon?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielzdnl/7596302778/

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Yes, should be a Christmas 2012 release, MSRP $4,000

InsanityRocks
Oct 28, 2006
I'm a rocker . . I'm a roller too baby!
Managed to get my hands on a really good deal through gum tree today got the avengers quinjet set for £35, felt like a drug deal tho going to a dodgy part of Birmingham and handing over cash money instead of waiting on my amazon fix

InsanityRocks fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 21, 2012

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Seems like shipping to canada from barnesandnoble.com shot up a lot, instead of $6 for the first item + 2$ per additional item it is now $12 for the first and $6 for every addition item. Shame as buying from there even with the beat up packages was still cheaper then waiting for sales up here.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Some pics of the Manchester Lego Store that opened yesterday. Awesome shop.. they just have everything and it's like a kind of wonderland. Staff were really (although this was early and the shop wasn't busy so my little guy had like four different shop assistants too himself. Big pick-a-brick wall. I took a few shots but I'm not an expert on what people are looking for.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83085314@N03/sets/72157630677624536/

Just bought a little Monster Fighters set as I've spent too much this month.

Nazzle
Apr 11, 2008
Thank you for showing me that Helms Deep lego creation, I now feel as though anything I ever make will never be good enough to see the light of day!

Also Pyroclastic if your friend struggles to find the Team GB boxes im happy to go scout out shops and find some!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Gravy Jones posted:

Some pics of the Manchester Lego Store that opened yesterday. Awesome shop.. they just have everything and it's like a kind of wonderland. Staff were really (although this was early and the shop wasn't busy so my little guy had like four different shop assistants too himself. Big pick-a-brick wall. I took a few shots but I'm not an expert on what people are looking for.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83085314@N03/sets/72157630677624536/

Just bought a little Monster Fighters set as I've spent too much this month.

The big sign that says Topman?

Read it as tampon. Was very confused.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Sockser posted:

The big sign that says Topman?

It's a reflection (I assume) from the store across it.

https://www.topman.com

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Sockser posted:

A LEGO STORE EXCLUSIVE

One thing I found interest was that it was my kid's first sighting of both Lord of the Rings and Monster Fighters and he didn't care about the former and went crazy for Monster Fighters. He's well under the target age for both, but Monster Fighters could have a lot of goofy kid appeal. The glow in the dark stuff was a big hit.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Went to yard sales today and found the following:

The Chamber of the Winged Keys (4704)
Hagrid's Hut (4707)
Hogwarts Castle (4709)
Gringott's Bank (4714)
Forbidden Corridor (4706)

All complete, with directions, but no boxes; how good of a find was this? Is Harry Potter still a popular property?

$60
\/\/\/

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 21, 2012

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

How much did you pay? Typically any yardsale find is a good one, but price is important. :)

Yeah I'd say you got a good deal on that.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 21, 2012

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Tower Bridge is back down to around £125 shipped from Amazon.it. Seriously has to be the deal of the year.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
I bought this

http://shop.lego.com/en-AU/Sungnyemun-21016

yesterday, My first architecture set. Look fun to build.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Holy plastic building blocks!

eclipse
Mar 12, 2003

It's gone rather dark all of a sudden...
Gah! Thought I'd fondled out a set of Team GB minifigs perfectly, but messed up and got two swimmers and no judo lady. I found these ones really hard to sort out for some reason.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
So it's my birthday next week and my parents surprised me with the last current Batman set I didn't have while we were down for a quick visit this weekend

Nananananananana nananananananana

The Batmobile fits through the cave doors that open and close, although it's a bit awkward since the Batmobile's so low to the ground it goes over the ramps a bit funny. Also given recent play feature quality I thought the Bruce Wayne->Batman elevator feature could work a bit smoother, but meh. I really like the chair and how it's cape-friendly, the Batcycle(?) is a fun little build, and Bane's drill (not pictured) is really neat with REAL DRILLING ACTION

In boxes still on our counter: Moria, new Space Shuttle (for wife), and Weathertop, and dented box Helm's Deep is showing up Tuesday :circlefap:

Dogen fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 23, 2012

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Anyone know if they cancelled the next series of the Star Wars mini sets in the spheres? Or are they just holding off on them for when the Rancor Lair stuff comes out?

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

DrChud posted:

Anyone know if they cancelled the next series of the Star Wars mini sets in the spheres? Or are they just holding off on them for when the Rancor Lair stuff comes out?
Theyre up on the Lego site right now.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

DrChud posted:

They arrived in the store today! They look super cool.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

youareoffthehook posted:

They arrived in the store today! They look super cool.

Doh, now I feel stupid for not checking there.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Damnit all the new Star Wars sets are on shop.lego.com.

Any chance the Sith Interceptor and the Malevolence are in stock in Bellevue, youareoffthehook?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whole bunch of new mining themed City sets. They look neat!

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
I was talking to one of the employees at the new Manchester store and he informed me that they were in a "soft" opening phase and the official opening date will be on the August bank holiday weekend, where they will have promotions, competitions and exclusive launch sets will be available (presumably 3300003).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I think it's a different exclusive each day with a minimum £25 spend to get it. Some of these they will have potentially very limited numbers of as well... not sure that I can be bothered.