Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

Yes.

Having started a new file over and over again until I got Sudo Neku, I've noticed a few things:

1. The Meow Wow you get by fusing is not necessarily the same Meow Wow all the time. In fact, the Spirits System is far more variable and complex than I thought: Dream Eaters start with a personality, which you can change by playing with it and cuddling it. Even if a Meow Wow likes to be rubbed doesn't necessarily mean subsequent Meow Wows like to be rubbed, or they may only like to be rubbed in certain spots and places. If you find that your Meow Wow doesn't like rubbing, try poking it instead. Dream Eater animations tend to be adorable and/or sometimes hilarious. Meow Wow licks the screen when you make it really happy, while Sudo Neku (the Dream Eater I started a new file for over and over again)does the moonwalker!

2. Riku's dark elemental Link Style is called Darkest Fears! That is a kickass name!

3. Sora and Riku has the same (or very similiar) stats. I think Riku at least moves slightly faster, but I'm not certain. Tests will have to be done to check that.

4. The tutorials can be skipped, as can all the cutscenes, and all the memento flashbacks as well. It makes getting to the point where you can use your Dream Eater AR card a minor annoyance at best (which is why I started my file over and over again in the first place until I got the AR Dream Eater I wanted, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered). This is quite possibly the best change I've seen in 3D so far... besides Flowmotion.

5. Flowmotion is awesome! With practice, it makes getting somewhere a piece of cake, usually. It can also be used in battle which is even more awesome! In fact, Flowmotion + Deck Command really makes the game as far as I'm concerned.

6. Clearing Traverse Town Dive Mode and getting an A Rank gives you Spark Dive, allowing you to use the three usual Square elements right from the start.

7. I suggest you get many Link Points for Meow Wow at the start. That way, you get Cure very early.

8. Meow Wows are easily set on fire. They will run around before it dissipates.

9. This particular Kingdom Hearts game tend to have cartoon sounds when something happens (like Sora falling in a cutscene or Meow Wow getting put on fire). I like that.

I dunno about the Drop Gauge yet, I'm gonna have to play a bit more to get a real opinion on that.

How does playing as the two characters work? Is it two seperate stories like in Chain of Memories or does it switch off as the game goes on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Larryb posted:

How does playing as the two characters work? Is it two seperate stories like in Chain of Memories or does it switch off as the game goes on?

You have a Drop gauge, and when it runs out, you automatically switch to the other character. So you can't get too far in one story without advancing the other.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You have a Drop gauge, and when it runs out, you automatically switch to the other character. So you can't get too far in one story without advancing the other.

Basically, that. That said, I haven't found it too awful thus far.

I've gotten all the Treasure Chests in Traverse Town now, and I have 10 Dream Eaters, some gotten through recipes, but most were made through experimenting. As for the Traverse Town boss(es) Hockomonkey Brute wasn't too bad. Hockomonkey Mage is a bastard however! (loving summoned hands grabbing those palm trees...)

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Is it just me or is Critical Mode on KH3D far more brutal that on other games? Critical on BBS was so easy, and I didn't expect it on KH3D to be different. Oh, how wrong I was...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Black Feather posted:

Is it just me or is Critical Mode on KH3D far more brutal that on other games? Critical on BBS was so easy, and I didn't expect it on KH3D to be different. Oh, how wrong I was...

Critical in KHBbS was annoying because ultimately it just made the boss fights longer without proportionately increasing risk or anything. What are the changes from Proud to Critical in KH3D?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So with regards to the gameplay, does this one run similar to Birth By Sleep's "all abilities are on a timer" thing? Because that was probably the coolest and funnest version of the combat in the series.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Yeah that's back, but it's a lot worse because you can't meld moves anymore and the game has a lot less of them.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

KH3D is rapidly becoming my favorite KH, just because there's so much to explore! Like, I go into the cathedral in La Cité des Cloches and find that not only is it huge, it has a second floor to explore as well!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I can't find anywhere that's selling this :( Asda had sold out (meaning they got barely any stock in the first place) and HMV just aren't selling it. I didn't want to order online as I'm moving house soon and it won't arrive in time so I figured brick and mortar would be the best way to go, but seems the Kingdom Hearts isn't as popular as it used to be.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pureauthor posted:

Critical in KHBbS was annoying because ultimately it just made the boss fights longer without proportionately increasing risk or anything. What are the changes from Proud to Critical in KH3D?

you have half as much HP, though. And you basically die in a couple hits the whole game. So I disagree, I think it does increase the risk (at least, early on. Once you get Second Chance and Once More it's less risky)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Folt The Bolt posted:

Hockomonkey Mage is a bastard however! (loving summoned hands grabbing those palm trees...)

Where do you find him? :confused:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I wanted the Mark of Mastery Edition, but it looks like every place is sold out of that version by now. And I really wanted that 3DS case :qq:, now I have to spend less money on a videogame!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xad posted:

I wanted the Mark of Mastery Edition, but it looks like every place is sold out of that version by now. And I really wanted that 3DS case :qq:, now I have to spend less money on a videogame!

They stopped doing pre-orders for them in Gamestop stores on July 1st. I had to order mine online :(

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Out of interest, has it ever been revealed why there is no Pixar representation in the Kingdom Hearts games? Are they not that popular in Japan or have they retained the rights to the IPs or something? I just want a world based on The Incredibles. :(

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Where do you find him? :confused:

Hockomonkey Mage is Riku's Boss in Traverse Town. It's a required fight and is found somewhere on the fifth district. Just do the story and you'll find it in no time.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Hey gents, I'm getting into the serie again and I just ordered 1-2-Re:Chains from a goon on SAmart, as well as Birth By sleep.

But I'm wondering if I should skip 358/2 days and Re:coded, I see the OP says the plots are minimal in the overall serie, but is it still worth my time if I want to wrap the whole thing up or are these two terrible games I shouldn't bother with? I can put up with "bad" games if they actually lead to something interesting.

Edit: Well care is a big word, more like trying to understand the gently caress is happening.

Edit 2: Ok yeah I guess I care :blush:

Bonby fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 22, 2012

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
You play Kingdom Hearts games and care about the story? :allears:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Hey gents, I'm getting into the serie again and I just ordered 1-2-Re:Chains from a goon on SAmart, as well as Birth By sleep.

But I'm wondering if I should skip 358/2 days and Re:coded, I see the OP says the plots are minimal in the overall serie, but is it still worth my time if I want to wrap the whole thing up or are these two terrible games I shouldn't bother with? I can put up with "bad" games if they actually lead to something interesting.

Edit: Well care is a big word, more like trying to understand the gently caress is happening.

Edit 2: Ok yeah I guess I care :blush:

Re:coded is fun as hell, gently caress the story. I'd recommend it, based on that alone.

You could play 358/2 Days, or you could watch My LP of it and get all the story without the pain of playing it. It's actually a pretty fun game but only if you know what you're doing.

Also play them in the order of KH->Re:Chain->KHII->BBS

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Re:coded is fun as hell, gently caress the story. I'd recommend it, based on that alone.

You could play 358/2 Days, or you could watch My LP of it and get all the story without the pain of playing it. It's actually a pretty fun game but only if you know what you're doing.

Also play them in the order of KH->Re:Chain->KHII->BBS

Hotdamn, I'll watch your LP then and play Re:coded next.

To be honest I actually played Chains of memory on the gba, let's just say that I never want to touch that version ever again.

gently caress the Ansem boss fight

Bonby fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 22, 2012

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Out of interest, has it ever been revealed why there is no Pixar representation in the Kingdom Hearts games? Are they not that popular in Japan or have they retained the rights to the IPs or something? I just want a world based on The Incredibles. :(

I think you spelled Toy Story wrong, but I'm not sure. (The Incredibles would also be awesome, but I mean...Toy Story.)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Folt The Bolt posted:

Hockomonkey Mage is Riku's Boss in Traverse Town. It's a required fight and is found somewhere on the fifth district. Just do the story and you'll find it in no time.

I defeated the boss so quickly I never noticed it was different. :negative:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So, given that you get commands out of your Neop- I mean, Dream Eaters, and you need different ones to get new commands, how quickly can you break the game over your knee this time? Is it like BBS' "Ragnarok, Megaflare, Time splicer, Sonic Blade by world 2" or a bit harder?

This popped up in my suggestions lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYFxYJYDVTw

It's rather boring and the commentator isn't saying much, but I find it odd and interesting to see 6 of the games across 4 platforms being played at the same time. It also reminds me that KH2 has the longest prologue EVER, and I can kinda see why so many people hate it. It just drags on for so long.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

HGH posted:

So, given that you get commands out of your Neop- I mean, Dream Eaters, and you need different ones to get new commands, how quickly can you break the game over your knee this time? Is it like BBS' "Ragnarok, Megaflare, Time splicer, Sonic Blade by world 2" or a bit harder?

If you grind enough, you can get the -ra spells (usual Final Fantasy elemental trio + Cura) before you leave Traverse Town, I think. Haven't had that luck with the ultimate magics and techniques though.

It also requires you to invest in your Dream Eaters a bit, as well as going for the recipe-less option.

EDIT: Also, can't wait until I can get Ghostabocky! Having Ghostabocky means having access to Dark Aura for Riku!

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 22, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

HGH posted:

It's rather boring and the commentator isn't saying much, but I find it odd and interesting to see 6 of the games across 4 platforms being played at the same time. It also reminds me that KH2 has the longest prologue EVER, and I can kinda see why so many people hate it. It just drags on for so long.

The Hellfirecomms LPs of the games aren't too bad, when he's with his co-commentator. They've covered KH1, 2 and are in the middle of BBS, and they bounce off each other pretty well.

But yeah, the prologue is one of the reasons I don't replay KH2 that often. The only good thing is that you can skip the cutscenes at least, and once you get to the second Axel fight, things start to get more interesting. Probably because you start the real game immediately after.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

But yeah, the prologue is one of the reasons I don't replay KH2 that often. The only good thing is that you can skip the cutscenes at least, and once you get to the second Axel fight, things start to get more interesting. Probably because you start the real game immediately after.

Don't forget the worst line of dialogue ever to be uttered in the series. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY3PHuRZOAE&t=282s

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

you can skip the cutscenes at least

I honestly wouldn't recommend skipping the cutscenes if you're playing KH2 for the first time, if only to make sure you know what the gently caress is going on.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I honestly wouldn't recommend skipping the cutscenes if you're playing KH2 for the first time, if only to make sure you know what the gently caress is going on.

It's cruel of you to make people think they'll know what's going on even if they do watch the cutscenes.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So this level-up board for your Dream Eaters, how do you get experience for it other than grinding the rub/poke stuff?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So this level-up board for your Dream Eaters, how do you get experience for it other than grinding the rub/poke stuff?

You get Link Points (the currency for the Dream Eater Lv. Up boards) by rubbin/poking them, battling Nightmare Dream Eaters (or enemies for that matter), or by feeding them.

Also, Symphony of Sorcery is the best Disney-themed KH world to ever grace the series! No sarcasm or irony here!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

So you get link points the same way you get regular EXP? Or is it only through the Dream Eater arena thing I've seen a couple shots of?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Xoidanor posted:

Don't forget the worst line of dialogue ever to be uttered in the series. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY3PHuRZOAE&t=282s

No you see because That's a virtual teenager that was programmed by a crazy old man it makes total sense that he talks like that, kingdom hearts 2 is the best written jrpg of all where everything makes sense

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

darealkooky posted:

No you see because That's a virtual teenager that was programmed by a crazy old man it makes total sense that he talks like that, kingdom hearts 2 is the best written jrpg of all where everything makes sense

Kingdom Hearts II is basically the Absalom, Absalom! of videogames.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

So you get link points the same way you get regular EXP? Or is it only through the Dream Eater arena thing I've seen a couple shots of?

Yeah having played for a little while longer I realised they get exp from regular battles too :downs:

The fact that Riku and Sora's playstyles are identical makes it REALLY irritating that the command deck you use for one of them isn't saved to the other. Having to re-equip every new item each time I drop is getting old and I've only done it 6 times.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

The fact that Riku and Sora's playstyles are identical makes it REALLY irritating that the command deck you use for one of them isn't saved to the other. Having to re-equip every new item each time I drop is getting old and I've only done it 6 times.
You can actually edit both Sora and Riku's decks regardless of who you're using, makes things at least a little faster.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Yeah having played for a little while longer I realised they get exp from regular battles too :downs:

Personally since I'm drowning in commands I use different abilities on the two to mix things up. Though that may just work since I haven't gotten very far yet. :shobon:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I've just begun to get commands that are exclusive to either Sora or Riku here. The Spark series and Tornado are obviously only equippable by Sora, and so is Sonic Blade. Dark Aura is obviously only equippable by Riku. Glide is exclusive to Sora only, so Riku gets Doubleflight to compensate, Counter Rush and Counter Aura are exclusive (Sora for the former and Riku for the latter), and so are Payback Raid (Sora) and Payback Blast (Riku).

I started getting most of those commands by my second run through Traverse Town though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'd like to say Riku's more of a magician, but that's probably because the few dark powers he uses are blasts and such I guess.

I wanted to ask about the enemies. Most of the previous games had a clear progression, especially with Heartless and Unversed (less so with Nobodies). How are the enemies here? All of them seem to be pretty unique and don't really fall into a niche (like Shadow-Soldier-Large Body and the palette swapped magician heartless). What's the worst so far? Pegasi? Pandas? Stupid giant elephants from TWEWY that stunlock you and never let you do anything? Bats?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

HGH posted:

What's the worst so far? Pegasi? Pandas? Stupid giant elephants from TWEWY that stunlock you and never let you do anything? Bats?

The loving snails from world 3. On their own they're perfectly harmless as all they do is hide inside their shells and occasionally roll around. If you happen upon a pack of them though you're absolutely screwed as you will be locked out by their gravity spells over and over again without being able to do anything about it.

On the bright side though most of the enemy designs are fantastic.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 23, 2012

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Forget the snails, the goddamn owls are a bigger problem! They can avoid your attacks!

Also, if there's a high density of Dream Eaters (any type) compared to the area size, prepare to see that HP bar go down quick! They're just fairly challenging otherwise.

AKA if you thought the Mandrill Unversed from BBS were a problem, wait until you see how some of the Dream Eaters fight! A thing to note is that Dream Eaters, in general, are just as (or almost as) useful (and maybe even more) when they are in your party, as an unwritten rule of thumb. (Too bad this makes a lot of them scarily more competent than your usual KH mook, but oh well, it makes the fights fun!)

Also cleared Symphony of Sorcery! I believe I have found my new favorite KH world, (the former one was Hollow Bastion) and I enjoyed both Sora's and Riku's boss fights in that world. The Spellican one is hard because of the unforgiving first phase, and it loves to warp around in it's second phase! It's annoying, and I'd expect nothing less since the bosses it summoned in Traverse Town killed me once or twice, due to a smaller area and better damage output! Chernabog was just epic though: Night On Bald Mountain makes this fight, and while he's much easier than Spellican, he's nowhere near as annoying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I've just started unlocking the synopses (synopsises?) of the previous KH games and I'm pleasantly surprised! They're actually fairly well written and don't assume the player knows too much about the games in question at all. I've never played 358/2 Days but now I feel I understand Roxas' backstory.