Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sum
Nov 15, 2010

TildeATH posted:

Given that OhCrap is doing regular, quality updates and started at an odd starting point in the year, I'd be in favor of letting him play out the year just so later overseers can start at the traditional beginning of the year.

I think a lot of folks would agree with me on this, or does that sound horrible?

I agree with this if only on the principle that having every overseer start on 10th Limestone would start annoying me after 3 or 4 turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
I was basing my turn as ending at start of Autumn?

I'll admit that I'm concerned at how the next overseer will go with getting on top of things before any fun starts, given my expectation of Winter. Also, there's going to be a mess to clean up after this next update.

I will be guided by my fellow goons accordingly, but I don't want to deny anyone their turn.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do whatever your comfortable with OhCrap. If we decide that someone should do a year and a half to get back to a normal start point, it should be at the start of their turn. Alternatively someone could just do a short turn to get back to the normal starting point.

Though I really don't think it is much of an issue.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

From the Overseer Diary of OhCrap Mountainmist, 238, Bronzestabbed

4th Malachite 238

Internet Kraken patrols with Dogs of War.

6th Malachite 238

More water is made.

:supaburn: BAD COW! :supaburn:

MAKE DEAD BAD COW!

BAD COW IS CLOSE!

MOONWALK FAST RUNS TO BAD COW! BAD COW FAST RUNS TO MOONWALK!

MZBUNDIFUND RUNS TO HELP MOONWALK!

7th Malachite 238

BAD COW KNOCKS MOONWALK OVER AND TWISTS EAR!
MOONWALK STANDS!
BAD COW GORES. MOONWALK FALLS OVER.

MZBUNDIFUND LINES UP SHOT

NO MZBUNDIFUND! FIRE CROSSBOW!

IDLES APPEARS WITH BABY MALE MAN IN RIGHT HAND. COPPER MACE IN LEFT. DO NOT CONFUSE!

MOONWALK DOES NOT LOOK SO HOT

MOONWALK :smith:

BABY MALE MAN!

NOMIKOS AND HAARDRADA RUN TO SAVE BABY MALE MAN!

NO! BAD COW! LEAVE BABY MALE MAN ALONE!

IDLES SWINGS AT BAD COW BUT MISSES!
BAD COW PUNCHES AND BREAKS IDLES HAND!
IDLES FIGHTS ON!

JONIS FAST RUNS

WHY DOES BAD COW THINK SHIRT IS WEAPON?

NOMIKOS STABS MINOTAUR TO BELLY! BAD COW RUNS! NOMIKOS GIVES CHASE!

I AM COMING WITH TOSCA CAKE AND SIRPENGUIN AND NEONGREY AND BAD MUNKI HOLD ON BABY MALE MAN!

KEEP FIRING MZBUNDIFUND YOU WILL HIT BAD COW

INTERNET KRAKEN APPEARS AND FIRES AND UNLEASHES DOGS OF WAR

NOMIKOS DOES SCARE BAD COW INTO SWIMMING POOL

BAD COW DOES SWIMMING AND GETS OUT

BAD COW SWIMS MORE

BAD COW DOES NOT SWIM AS FAST AS DWARFS RUN

MZBUNDIFUND IS IN WAY OF BAD COW

I HIT BAD COW TO SAVE MZBUNDIFUND

BAD COW RUNS!

BAD COW SWIMS!

I FAST RUN TO HEAD OFF BAD COW!

8th Malachite 238

BAD COW SWIMS. MARKSDWARFS MAKE ARCHERY PRACTICE.

BAD COW JUMPS FROM POOL. SIRPENGUIN BOLT HITS RIBS!

OH FOR UGATH'S SAKE

OhCrap fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 22, 2012

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
I was using that arm. :mad:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Okay, is that just weird pathing, or is BAD COW trying to get a stat boost from becoming a legendary swimmer?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I'm imagining the Minotaur twisting the shirt up and snapping it at the dwarves like a towel.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Where do I keep going that I never end up in any of the battles? Am I just loving off, having space dwarf adventures on my own and never listening to the orders to mobilize?

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Zaodai posted:

Where do I keep going that I never end up in any of the battles? Am I just loving off, having space dwarf adventures on my own and never listening to the orders to mobilize?

No, you're in the chase, just lagging behind. I'd guess you took the time to actually equip yourself. I saw at least one dwarf heading to fill his waterskin before doing anything.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Zaodai posted:

Maybe you're a wereminotaur...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

OhCrap posted:

No, you're in the chase, just lagging behind. I'd guess you took the time to actually equip yourself. I saw at least one dwarf heading to fill his waterskin before doing anything.

Then I will continue to think of my dwarf as just being too fat to keep up. Something will eventually stumble within his range and them BAM, he'll charge waddle into action!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Heh. Mer-minotaur.

Idles
Dec 31, 2007
Just idling.
Not my baby! Hulk-mother smash!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm not sure whether to imagine the dwarves chasing the minotaur Bad Cow to the Benny Hill theme, or in a Scooby Doo hallway sequence.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Colon V posted:

I'm not sure whether to imagine the dwarves chasing the minotaur Bad Cow to the Benny Hill theme, or in a Scooby Doo hallway sequence.

Funny you should mention that ...

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

9th Malachite 238

BAD COW FAST SWIMS FOR ONE SO HURT.

DWARFS TRY TO KEEP UP

MY OWN FINE DOG OF WAR CHASES BAD COW

VENTNOR AND I poo poo TRAINS CHASE BAD COW

YaketySax.Engraving

I poo poo TRAINS CLOSES ON BAD COW

DENTY HEAD STRIKES! BAD COW FALLS OVER!

BAD COW ROLLS BUT DENTY HEAD FLIES ARM!
DENTY HEAD FLIES FOOT!

NOMIKOS JOINS FRAY!

DENTY HEAD HACKS LEG!
DENTY HEAD FLIES ARM!
NOMIKOS STABS HAND!
DENTY HEAD HACKS LEG!
NOMIKOS STABS HAND!
DENTY HEAD TWISTS AXE!
NOMIKOS STABS BELLY!

DENTY HEAD MAKES VICTORY!

I pride at Denty Head i poo poo trains, and order dwarfs to do Clean Mess.

Male Man needs Good Medic.

Idles needs Good Medic.

MzBundifund needs Good Medic.

Moonwalk needs Good Tomb. He was a Good Dwarf.

Kilrudzat needs more Walls.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
Combat log: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?0lphi8l8z3kopld

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

OhCrap is Best Overseer.

Seriously, really enjoying the updates. Whoever follows you is going to have a tough time filling your shoes.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Pretty soon we should rename the fort Babymurder. Or Babymurder-by-mythic-beasts-of-nightmare.

Imagine the stories the dwarves tell to their children. There can be no consolation about monsters not really existing. The parents can't tell the children that no boogeymen exist. Not in a world where werehyenas tear babies apart after stealing them from their mother's arms.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rurik posted:

Pretty soon we should rename the fort Babymurder. Or Babymurder-by-mythic-beasts-of-nightmare.

Imagine the stories the dwarves tell to their children. There can be no consolation about monsters not really existing. The parents can't tell the children that no boogeymen exist. Not in a world where werehyenas tear babies apart after stealing them from their mother's arms.

"Mom, there are boogeymen hiding in the closet!"
"Nonsense dearie, the boogeymen always stay outside. You'll be perfectly safe if you just stay in bed. Don't open the window if anybody knocks on it, that's how we lost our first son."

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Bogeymen exist in literal fashion in DF. They're Adventurer-mode only though, so we won't see them in the main LP. They're procedurally generated like some of the more terrifying monsters, but to a less-terrifying (but still potentially lethal) degree, and only appear when an adventurer tries to sleep outside of a settlement while alone.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
And i poo poo trains continues his reign of badassery. We were just waiting for him to arrive on the scene and settle some poo poo. My wife was contributing sound effects as I read.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I like that i poo poo trains is decked out in cave spider garments.

He is the arachnodwarf.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OhCrap posted:

I HIT BAD COW TO SAVE MZBUNDIFUND

Oh god, Bad Weasel evolved into a minotaur offscreen, all our worst fears have come true. :ohdear:

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I actually threw up my hands in elation when dwarf-me got the killing blow on the minotaur. I feel like such a nerd. I still can't wait until dwarf-me gets one of those long-rear end nicknames that isn't Denty Head

Also, I just noticed this from a few updates ago, but the name of the second squad is the 'One-Way Outs'. That is literally the best random name I've ever seen DF assign ever.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

10th Malachite 238

Vox Nihili labours at Make Greaves.

11th Malachite 238

Dog Hunter of Internet Kraken finds Snatcher!

neongrey Fast Runs at Goblin!

Goblin slashes Dog Hunter of Internet Kraken!
Internet Kraken shoots Goblin dagger from Hand!

Internet Kraken Dog of War crankies at Goblin for do slash Dog Hunter! Goblin Fast Runs! Internet Kraken Dog of War chases!

neongrey, Zaodai, and Cave Swallow Hunter chase!

Zapdos chases!

12th Malachite 238

Dog of War is Biting! Goblin is punching!

Goblin tumbles dog and runs!
Dog bites!
Goblin uses Bag as Weapon?

A Good Dog slows Goblin from escape so Dwarf can Revenge.

But Zaodai is too slow and Goblin will escape.

13th Malachite 238

Dog of life_source is a Good Dog.

Dog Hunter of Internet Kraken is a Good Dog.

17th Malachite 238

Mayor Kaishai advises no earrings to do Trade.

Where the Fun is Leal?

I decide to take Squad to do Find Leal. She is last seen going to Spider Cavern.

I am sure she is fine, but a Good Overseer does not take chances.

I will do such a Scold to the Dwarf Scamp when she is found.

Maybe the new arrivals will help to do Look.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.

i poo poo trains posted:

I actually threw up my hands in elation when dwarf-me got the killing blow on the minotaur. I feel like such a nerd. I still can't wait until dwarf-me gets one of those long-rear end nicknames that isn't Denty Head

I love those long-rear end nicknames. The first time one of my adventurer mode characters lived long enough to be named the Improbable Masquerade of Lobsters I felt like such a hero. A hero to strange, strange people, but a hero nonetheless.

Dwarf Fortress: Where 'the Silvery Cuttlefish of Loving' manages to sound bad-rear end.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

OhCrap posted:

But Zaodai is too slow and Goblin will escape.
:negative:

I'm just... uh... saving my strength for fighting the murder carp. Yeah, that's the ticket.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

17th Malachite 238

Sankis finally sends word of new Overseer. I will tell Leperfish, Bookkeeper, of new Overseer when I do Step Down.

Sankis provides migrant aliases and past professions:

DrMelon Pagegrips, Surgical Cheesemaker
SourceElement Crewblockade, Fishery Worker
Nekomata Birdsabre, Child
Star Guarded Savetown, Weaver
Black Griffon Pulleymute, Animal Trainer
Fiddler Three Granitecloister, Child
Tiler Kiwi Boardedrazor, Farmer
Helical Nightmares Staticstaff, Fisherdwarf
Hostile Rabbi Copperblock, Lye Maker
Natty Ninefingers Cobaltcradles, Bone Doctor
red mammoth Buddedarchies, Child
Anela Cistine Torridglazed, Planter
Hudlinkin Stillcopper, Butcher
Mortal Sword Wordstockades, Wood Burner

Migrants bring animals:

Gosling, Pet of DrMelon
Stray Piglet
Stray Mule Foal

I tell Migrants to write down Own Fine Skills and put in Private File. I must do Find Leal.

I am sure Leal is Fine.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

From the Private Overseer Files of OhCrap Mountainmist, 238, Bronzestabbed

New Migrant Self-Assessment - 17th Malachite 238

We arrived on 17th Malachite 238. Overseer OhCrap Mountainmist has instructed us to Assess ourselves Rigorously and write our findings:

DrMelon Pagegrips

SourceElement Crewblockade

Nekomata Birdsabre

Star Guarded Savetown

I, Star Guarded Savetown, look forward to seeing parents HONK HONK HONK Fateboat and The GoBotSodomizer InkedBronze. I bring my husband Black Griffon Pulleymute and child Fiddler Three Granitecloister, to our new home.

Black Griffon Pulleymute

What she said. But my parents are Tosca Cake Trademartyr and Zapdos Lensblaze.

Fiddler Three Granitecloister

I am thirteen already! Why am I not considered an adult? Mum and Dad keep babying me!

Tiler Kiwi Boardedrazor

Helical Nightmares Staticstaff

Hostile Rabbi Copperblock

Natty Ninefingers Cobaltcradles

red mammoth Buddedarchies

Anela Cistine Torridglazed

Hudlinkin Stillcopper

Mortal Sword Wordstockades

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"
With all the creatures fighting with clothing and bags, I can't help but picture them binding their fists in that standard 'violent boxing' style shown in oh so many movies.
'Course, given how many bones I've broken by throwing a waterskin's worth of water (not in the waterskin, mind you. Just the water) at someone, they could very well be killing people by hitting them over the head with a bag or shirt.

Apparently, in the DF world there is no such thing as 'soft' - the closest you get is 'Would make a mediocre weapon'

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

19th Malachite 238

Willie Tomg shouts of Troglodytes in Spider Cavern!

I Order militia to Dead Troglodytes!

I Fast Run to Assist Willie Tomg!

I see Willie Tomg crankying at Troglodytes!

Willie Tomg blurs with Fast!

I dive at Troglodytes!

I and Willie Tomg chase Troglodytes!

I and Willie Tomg dead Troglodytes!

20th Malachite 238

Willie Tomg shouts of Leal dead :smith:

Willie Tomg revenges on Troglodyte.

21st Malachite 238

I and Willie Tomg revenge on Troglodytes.

22nd Malachite 238

I and Willie Tomg run out of Troglodytes to revenge on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Fly Molo posted:

Oh god, Bad Weasel evolved into a minotaur offscreen, all our worst fears have come true. :ohdear:

What am I missing here, was there a weasel fighting next to the minotaur or was something nicknamed the weasel or?

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
Here is a Combat Log: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?il24nuxnib75eyk

Leal tried to run, but the troglodyte kept harassing her. Then the other troglodytes came. She was never going to have a chance of the militia saving her, even with sending the militia as soon as I saw the "interrupted by troglodyte" message.

Leal was already dead by the time the migrant wave was fully onscreen.

Willie Tomg got there first, and engaged while I was getting the migrant waves in. She kicked troglodyte rear end right from the outset. My dwarf just helped with the cleanup.

Grittybeard posted:

What am I missing here, was there a weasel fighting next to the minotaur or was something nicknamed the weasel or?

This is probably the most relevant link: 11th Sandstone through 24th Sandstone

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

Grittybeard posted:

Dear. God. I. Am. Not. A. Religious. Man. But. Please. Help. Me. See. The. Connection. Here.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

HERE COMES A SPECIAL DWARF!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
No I mean...there was a weasel...in the combat logs, I swear! So it, came back?

I'm going to feel really dumb when I figure this out aren't I?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

quote:

The Minotaur strikes the Hammerdwarf in the upper body with his (goose leather shirt), bruising the muscle, jamming the sternum through the heart and tearing apart the heart!

rip Moonwalk. :smith:

Wear those breastplates, folks. Catch a lucky wallop right over your unarmored chest now and you're pretty hosed. Blunt forces have been changed to have a much higher chance to strike ribs and destroy the vital organs with bone fragments.

And holy christ Willie Tomg. I've never seen a mace in such carnage-making.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 22, 2012

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Grittybeard posted:

No I mean...there was a weasel...in the combat logs, I swear! So it, came back?

I'm going to feel really dumb when I figure this out aren't I?

To put you out of your misery, combat reports don't go away in-game. If Minty hacks a goblins head off, goes inside to have lunch, has a snooze, patrols aimlessly for a few months, then rips the legs off a war bear, Minty's combat report will show him hacking the head off a goblin then ripping the legs off a bear with no apparent division between the two. The combat report is showing the same weasel as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Fargo Fukes posted:

To put you out of your misery...

I don't know if that's legal, man.

• Locked thread