Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

High Protein posted:

Haha that's awesome, I'm in Europe and mine's an American grey import. So next to my mp/h speedo I've got a bicycle speedo that does km/h and as a great bonus, shows the time. Does yours have the speeding nag light?
I do bet pods lean things out, just putting in a k&n panel filter has leaned mine enough to get some bangs on engine braking. As for the battery, note that the ignition system runs directly off the alternator so it isn't critical.
An addon I'd heartily recommend is an oil cooler, KEDO sells (expensive) kits, and the cooler off the later monoshock model and the SRX400 fits fine too. I just made a bracket and put on a random oil cooler. I've got the earlier block that's got the oil cooler reroute plugs on the crank case, running lines from there looks pretty sweet.
Also you probably already know this, but the Yamaha 600 engine's got a notoriously weak 5th gear, the single's thumpiness wreaks havok on it below 4000rpm. I changed sprockets so 4000RPM in 5th is ~45MPH instead of ~50, I had to keep downshifting in slow traffic.

Actually, I learned that gear business from this forum, probably from one of your posts. I have a nag light set to whatever the Japanese maximum speed limit was. I also have a stock oil cooler going to the block on mine that only leaks a tiny bit from being smooshed on one side. I want that battery for lights for WHEN I break down on the side of the road.

I also never realized that the ordinary model had both 18" wheels, I have a 17" front on mine.

Anyway, I disassembled both of my leaking petcocks today, and cleaned up the tank a bit by using electrolysis on the whole deal. I got a giant Rubbermaid container and used a 50amp car battery charger hooked to a piece of old rebar. It got a lot of the old torn up paint on the outside to loosen up, so only a bit remains. I think with more time and a better electrode I can get all but a few spots cleaned. I am thankful that it is not a bondo mess underneath the paint at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Got ready to install my new horns. And then realized I'd have to remove my full gas tank to do a proper wiring job. gently caress that.

Instead, I mended my nicked gas cap gasket with some permatex, temporarily mended the crack in my cowl, and picked up a nail in my rear tire.

I also checked out an incredible parts stash, going to see if I can split it with another Hawker in the area.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Entered it into my favorite motorcycle show in Minneapolis and won "Best Japanese Bike"

And they gave this bad rear end as gently caress trophy.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

titanium posted:

Entered it into my favorite motorcycle show in Minneapolis and won "Best Japanese Bike"

And they gave this bad rear end as gently caress trophy.

That is badass. But which "it?" You've got forty bikes, and only seven belong to you.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Commodore_64 posted:

Actually, I learned that gear business from this forum, probably from one of your posts. I have a nag light set to whatever the Japanese maximum speed limit was. I

Whoa, is this what the little orange mark on my speedometer at 70mph is supposed to be? I've been totally unable to figure that one out.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

DSC_0268 by Andrew Wong MPLS, on Flickr

My TW200 won it.

Here's more photos from the show.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/datsun_wong/sets/72157630696760148/with/7622750342/

Mighty Zoltar
Aug 18, 2004

I AM A PIECE OF SHIT. IF YOU SEE ME ON THE STREET, PLEASE STAB ME.
I've been getting the oil warning light appear under middle/heavy braking recently, so decided to see what was up. Found that my oil level was a little low. Bike has around a 3.5 litre capacity, and the oil was changed in October, I think.

Anyway, did an oil top up - took around 2 litres. How the gently caress did the light not come on sooner, and that seems to be a lot of oil to have to top up.

Is 2 litres in around 1000 miles normal? Running a 2001 GPZ500, if that makes a difference.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
It's an oil pressure light, it only came on when there was not enough oil for it to pick up any at all. Basically you had enough to be above the pickup, until you hit the brakes.

2 liters/1000 miles is pretty high. I would look for leaks first, assuming it's running fine.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mighty Zoltar posted:

Anyway, did an oil top up - took around 2 litres. How the gently caress did the light not come on sooner, and that seems to be a lot of oil to have to top up.

Is 2 litres in around 1000 miles normal? Running a 2001 GPZ500, if that makes a difference.
That's way too much, for sure. Doesn't everyone check their oil when they fill up with gas?

Mighty Zoltar
Aug 18, 2004

I AM A PIECE OF SHIT. IF YOU SEE ME ON THE STREET, PLEASE STAB ME.
It's running 100% fine, so I guess there must be a leak. I think it must be because I didn't swap the sump plug washer when I did the oil change, so it has a slow leak. The things you learn when you start with motorcycles.

Due to this issue, I guess I will need to do a full oil change and replace the sum plug washer. Nice.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Mighty Zoltar posted:

It's running 100% fine, so I guess there must be a leak. I think it must be because I didn't swap the sump plug washer when I did the oil change, so it has a slow leak. The things you learn when you start with motorcycles.

Due to this issue, I guess I will need to do a full oil change and replace the sum plug washer. Nice.

If you get stuck without a new crush washer (I've forgotten to pick one up a couple of times) you can re-use the old one if you re-anneal it. The washers are soft when new but tightening a bolt down on them compresses the copper and "work hardens" it. Annealing allows the metal to de-stress and soften up again, cooling it quickly helps to keep it soft too. All you need to do is heat it up until it's glowing softly and then quench it in some water. I suspend it on a wire hook and use a propane torch but in the past I have used a cooking hob and I suspect even a normal lighter would get such a small piece hot enough.

I must stress that this is not best practice, for the few pennies it costs just get a new damned washer but if you're caught short it should work just fine.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 23, 2012

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Chris Knight posted:

That's way too much, for sure.

Shhhhhh, my bike might hear you! :shh: It's alright baby, you are old but I still love you.

Smile
Dec 16, 2005
This is my bike back shortly after I bought it a few years ago:

Unfortunately last october some neighborhood kids spraypainted a giant dick on the front of my fairing and then I put the bike in storage for the winter. First project after I swapped the oil and gas was to get rid of the plastic. Tossed on some new bars and a cheap headlight. Still not sure what to do about speed and tach.

I also bled both front and rear brakes, my dad was trying to tell me it wasn't neccessary and the fluid "didn't look so bad" the whole time:

Tracking down a weird jingle led me to a cracked-loose header, so the next project will be replacing that with the one from ebay I just ordered and hopefully doing something about my ratty seat.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Post a picture of the dick fairing.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The shadow in the first pic looks like a rad bike facing the other way.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Mighty Zoltar posted:

I've been getting the oil warning light appear under middle/heavy braking recently, so decided to see what was up. Found that my oil level was a little low. Bike has around a 3.5 litre capacity, and the oil was changed in October, I think.

You might be due for a change since it's been 9 months, but you should be checking it regularly between changes. I've noticed my oil gets consumed a little faster when it is old and dirty or when I ride in traffic.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

High Protein posted:

Post a picture of the dick fairing.

Yeah, you should have kept the dick fairing on.

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel
What I did to my bike over the last few weeks:

Repsol fairings / engine rebuild (618cc big bore kit, 12.7:1 Comp. ratio, cams, dyno tune, Etc.)

Mirror block off plates: cut from aluminum sheet stock and painted

Hot bodies LED flush mount turn signals

Competition Werkes Integrated LED taillight / turn sugnals and custom tail chop / licence plate bracket.

Driven Racing 520 chain, -1/+2 sprocket kit, refinished the swing arm, and shortened the plastic chain guard

Love the way it turned out. Bike puts a huge grin on my face every time I ride it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Not today, but last week I swapped the badly-squared Dunlop Qualifiers on my Shiver with Michelin Pilot Road 2s - felt a bit resentful about it because it needed the new tyres in order to pass its MOT (the fact that it was the front, not the rear, that was at the wear limit shows you how lovely the last year of riding has been to me) and wanted to put more Qualifiers on it. They didn't have them in stock but the guy was so enthusiastic about the Michelins, and I saw the wisdom of dual compounds, especially when he discounted them to £10 less than the Dunlops.

At first I thought my reluctance was well-founded - the bike felt really weird, almost like the front tyre was flat - the Michelin front has a much rounder profile than the Dunlop, but even accounting for that it felt like I really had to muscle the bike into turns and take a lot more lean to take the same corner. Then I realised that once over it was loving rock-solid, mid-corner bumps didn't even hassle it (where the Dunlops - even new - got twitchy at the slightest provocation). Taking it out on Sunday on good roads it was a revelation, fast sweepers on constant throttle didn't give the constant feeling that the bike was just about to break away at the rear (a very common complaint for Shiver riders - it never is, there's just a weird "oh poo poo" feeling coming through the pegs). It's still slow as gently caress to turn in but it just feels so much better once it's in that it's like a brand new bike.

Next on the list - little service (doesn't *need* it, but it's had a year of just short commuting trips thanks to the lovely British summer so far so fresh oil would almost certainly be welcome), and maybe finally get round to ordering the belly-pan and rear hugger that Aprilia unaccountably left off it, and maybe the rather tasty Aprilia Racing aluminium mirrors - http://www.motorbikecrazy.com/acatalog/Aprilia_Shiver_Accessories.html#a1577

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Detroit117 posted:

What I did to my bike over the last few weeks:

Nice, I love Repsol CBRs. I've been thinking about getting the 600rr and getting Repsol fairings but they're expensive and drive the insurance up.

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel

Frankston posted:

Nice, I love Repsol CBRs. I've been thinking about getting the 600rr and getting Repsol fairings but they're expensive and drive the insurance up.

Thanks. I have always wanted a bike with Repsol racing livery. I do not think after market fairings would affect insurance??

I picked up the fairings for around 600 bucks from here: http://www.fivestarfairings.com. The quality is alright, and you get a bolt kit. Finish is very nice, but you have to work to get the gaps between the panels even. I have to say, OEM stock fairings are much better.

Extra pic :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nice bike, but do you street ride it without mirrors?

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel
Thanks, its always cool when someone compliments something you put a lot of time and effort in to. Did all the work myself, except for the machine work in the engine / dyno tune.

Yeah, I do ride on the street with no mirrors. Know its illegal, but I have never been hassled about it. Really do not like mirrors. They can be distracting, have blind spots, and can mess with your depth perception. So I don't use them. I always look before I change lanes or something like that.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
How is it with the engine mods? I've always been curious what it would be like to ride a really built 600.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Just say it's for looks, don't make up poo poo about how useless mirrors are...

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

n8r posted:

efb

Even if you ~never~ use mirrors, why wouldn't you bolt on some small bar-end mirrors to avoid the legal hassle?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
On a bike like that I'd like to be able to check for the presence of a police car before I power wheelie my way through the first three gears. Also for like, traffic awareness, I guess...

EDIT: seriously though, do you track it Detroit117? 'cause as pretty as that bike is, it must be pretty frustrating/uncomfortable on the road unless you're some kind of animal.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 24, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

On a bike like that I'd like to be able to check for the presence of a police car before I power wheelie my way through the first three gears. Also for like, traffic awareness, I guess...

In my case it's checking for enraged Daily Mail readers before power wheelieng through just one or two. :ridinglikeadong:

Britain has lost its sense of fun. :(

As far as mirrors go, I find it very difficult to maintain situational awareness without riding into things in front of me without the aid of handy mirrors. But then I also wear a helmet at the risk of neck injury etc etc.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Saga posted:

In my case it's checking for enraged Daily Mail readers before power wheelieng through just one or two. :ridinglikeadong:

Britain has lost its sense of fun. :(

As far as mirrors go, I find it very difficult to maintain situational awareness without riding into things in front of me without the aid of handy mirrors. But then I also wear a helmet at the risk of neck injury etc etc.

You know it's funny how that works, now whenever I ride my bicycle, I'm always looking for my mirrors or trying to turn on my blinker :confuoot:

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel

Gnaghi posted:

How is it with the engine mods? I've always been curious what it would be like to ride a really built 600.

So far, I am really enjoying it, feels very light and maneuverable. Messing with the engine and gearing, the bike has a much more usable power band. Basically traded fuel economy and top end for low end HP/Torque.

It still makes less power than a comparable liter bike, but its also about 40 Lbs lighter. Bonus, it still looks like a stock 600rr (minus fairings), so it makes a great sleeper.

n8r posted:

Tamir Lenk posted:

Even if you ~never~ use mirrors, why wouldn't you bolt on some small bar-end mirrors to avoid the legal hassle?

Never said mirrors are useless, said I don't like them. Then I told you why I do not like them. If you disagree, then great use them. What I like the most about modifications. You can make things exactly the way you want.

Had the block off plates on my bike for almost 2 years. In that time I have been pulled over. Not once has something been said about them.

ReelBigLizard posted:

seriously though, do you track it Detroit117? 'cause as pretty as that bike is, it must be pretty frustrating/uncomfortable on the road unless you're some kind of animal.

I do plan on tracking it. I live about 2 hours away from Barbers Motorsport park. Its not the worlds most comfortable bike, but its not bad.

Saga posted:

Britain has lost its sense of fun. :( But then I also wear a helmet at the risk of neck injury etc etc.

The bike does really encourage you to "do stupid", but I do my best to resist. You guys in Europe do have stricter laws :cop:(except you get to lane split). If you guys are wondering, I do ride ATGATT.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

You know it's funny how that works, now whenever I ride my bicycle, I'm always looking for my mirrors or trying to turn on my blinker :confuoot:

I do this too, now. Constantly looking down at where my left mirror would be, and after going around a corner I'm absentmindedly flicking the spot where I would be cancelling the turn signal. I'm considering getting a bar-end mirror to scratch that first itch.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
On my bicycle, I'm all about trying to kill myself by way of moto-level control inputs.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

On my bicycle, I'm all about trying to kill myself by way of moto-level control inputs.

I like finding yourself in a dodgy situation (closing gap, for example) and trying to use power to get out of it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What, that wasn't always your strategy? Wimp :smug:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Ugh, replacing the zinc-plated cheese bolts on my engine with nice high grade stainless capscrews and one of the water pump cover bolts snapped off. Looks like it had rusted some of the way, the other bolts on the pump cover were rusty too. The gasket is holding and I'm not loosing any coolant yet so I got some screw extractors and penetrating oil, Plus Gas, which I think is similar to kroil or PB-Blaster for you yanks. Soaking the bolt every few hours, going to try an extractor tonight but I'm scared I'm going to shatter an extractor in it and leave myself doubly hosed. Looked for a reverse twist drill bit to give that a try first but no joy :(

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

Ugh, replacing the zinc-plated cheese bolts on my engine with nice high grade stainless capscrews and one of the water pump cover bolts snapped off. Looks like it had rusted some of the way, the other bolts on the pump cover were rusty too. The gasket is holding and I'm not loosing any coolant yet so I got some screw extractors and penetrating oil, Plus Gas, which I think is similar to kroil or PB-Blaster for you yanks. Soaking the bolt every few hours, going to try an extractor tonight but I'm scared I'm going to shatter an extractor in it and leave myself doubly hosed. Looked for a reverse twist drill bit to give that a try first but no joy :(

Is there enough protruding to try cutting a slot and turning it out that way?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

You can order lefty drill bits on Amazon. Pick up a set and never use an EZ Out ever. THose things are loving horrible.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
It's pretty much flush to the engine case, no slot cutting for me :(

Hmm, what size of lefty bit for an M6 bolt, 4mm?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

It's pretty much flush to the engine case, no slot cutting for me :(

Hmm, what size of lefty bit for an M6 bolt, 4mm?

When drilling out a bolt, I start small and work up. Use a center-punch to mark the starting point. Then use a bit that is a few steps down from the bolt size (maybe a 2mm for the M6) and drill. If it doesn't catch after you are into the bolt a ways, trade up to the next size. As the channel widens, the bolt will collapse into it and you can pick out the pieces, if the bolt itself doesn't thread out.

Once that bitch is out, you can gently clean out the threads with an M6 tap.

Is the bolt in a position where you can get some heat on it? A MAP or propane torch can help break the corrosion that is locking that bolt in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tamir Lenk posted:

When drilling out a bolt, I start small and work up. Use a center-punch to mark the starting point. Then use a bit that is a few steps down from the bolt size (maybe a 2mm for the M6) and drill. If it doesn't catch after you are into the bolt a ways, trade up to the next size. As the channel widens, the bolt will collapse into it and you can pick out the pieces, if the bolt itself doesn't thread out.

Once that bitch is out, you can gently clean out the threads with an M6 tap.

Is the bolt in a position where you can get some heat on it? A MAP or propane torch can help break the corrosion that is locking that bolt in there.

You could also try heating the metal around the bolt (put some modelling clay or something over the stud to stop it heating up as much), obviously after it's cooled down from heating the stud up, but normally if it's absolutely flush getting differential heat on it can be really tricky.

Also if you're going to try drilling the bolt out instead of using a proper stud extractor for gods sake make sure you go as slow as possible. I know someone who pretty much managed to weld the bolt into place by getting all macho with an 1800 rpm drill (although that was with a normal right-hand bit, which only made things worse)