Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

It's not the art that bothers me, it's what he's saying. If Green Lanterns couldn't step on the toes of sovereign nations then they wouldn't be able to do their jobs.

Does that sort of conflict between ~upholding justice~ and complying with local authorities or the Star Trek prime directive get thoroughly addressed anywhere? I've only been reading the occasional GL storyline in the past few years, but it sounds like that sort of quasi-moral quandary would be more interesting than defeating one external threat that the guardians have been blind to for too long after another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Guys, guys. Can someone tell me when Gambit gained Lady Deathstrike's talon-nails? Because he looks totally fab thanks to it.

GL kind of strayed into that "Other cultures, other rules" thing when Hal became intergalactic Pedophile #1. And the time Stewart "blew up" a planet and was taken to task for it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This character apears in the newest volume of All-Star Western, and I'm totally in love. She manages to fight with the highest of heels, pulling off moves that give plenty of panty shots. And she has an adorable baby-face. To bad she's a psychopath.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 8, 2012

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

To bad she's a psychopath.

Also part giraffe.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
A female character in a comic book with awful heels and no pants? What brave new world is this

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
She sure does have a lot of belts.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

MB13 posted:

She sure does have a lot of belts.

They're to keep up her pa- oh wait!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kojiro posted:

They're to keep up her pa- oh wait!

Well when she gets pants she'll have more than enough@

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
A flick out blade on a six inch stiletto heel is the kicker (Yeah, yeah ba-dum-tish) for me. Basically the only halfhearted explainable purpose a heel like that could serve in a heroine costume is as a camouflaged weapon but they slap a better more obvious weapon on it.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

And for some reason they decided to give the 1800's type southern racist gentleman and his wife goggles.

Steampunk ruins everything.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

What the gently caress is going on with her neck?

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 9, 2012

Zaark
Oct 26, 2007
I can't help but think that in the far right centre panel she's using her legs like a propeller to fly around the arena.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

She HAS NO TOES AIEEEE!!!

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
The watercolors in the new Blacksad are so gorgeous that you can open to almost any page and see something that you could hang on your wall. You don't really notice how lovely the colors in most comics are until you see someone who is unbelievably good at it put something out. There's a huge part of the book devoted to showing how meticulous he was at trying to figure out the right tone and lighting that's just fascinating.

Just look at this

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The guy who does blacksad is amazing and I can't believe how good he is with expressions. I can only imagine how difficult it must be with the dozens of different animals he uses.

Didn't know there was a new volume out, I should pick it up.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Baron Bifford posted:

This character apears in the newest volume of All-Star Western, and I'm totally in love. She manages to fight with the highest of heels, pulling off moves that give plenty of panty shots.

Heh heh yessss, plenty of panty shots :heysexy::fh: Break out the hand lotion, boys, it's time to tug on our weiners, until cum comes out the front of them.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
I was lucky enough to buy all four hardcover volumes of Blacksad with the two additional volumes of the making-of during my trip to Europe. It was difficult to find these books in stores because they kept running out of stock! It was in high demand that year. These are what his compositional thumbnails look like.

I'm sorry for the cruddy camera picture, it doesn't do it justice.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This is the cover to Secret Avengers #29, by Arthur Adams. It's just horrible and lazy. Black Widow just jumped off the top of a roof, and, like a cat, is trying to twist her body so that she can land butt-first instead of face-first. Beast has lept after her to save her, but suddenly remembered that he cannot actually fly.

This is another cover featuring Black Widow by Steve Epting and it feels lazy too.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 21, 2012

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Baron Bifford posted:

This is another cover featuring Black Widow by Steve Epting and it feels lazy too.

Is she doing the freeze frame jump in the air from the end of sitcoms? What the hell is the purpose of that???

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

swamp waste posted:

Heh heh yessss, plenty of panty shots :heysexy::fh: Break out the hand lotion, boys, it's time to tug on our weiners, until cum comes out the front of them.
Yeesh, that's a little overboard with the crassness.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

This is the cover to Secret Avengers #29, by Arthur Adams. It's just horrible and lazy.

What makes it so horrible, aside from Black Widow's neck being broken and Valkyrie's freaky giraffe leg?

salamanderbaby
Jan 1, 2009

Get out, get out of my sanctum and drown your spirits in woe.

Unfit For Space posted:

What makes it so horrible, aside from Black Widow's neck being broken and Valkyrie's freaky giraffe leg?

Also Captain Britain flying in a different direction than everybody else. Poor guy :( He's just not a team player.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
And the composifion of a middle schooler's notebook doodles.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I dunno guys I just can't hate Art Adams. I can't do it. Sorry :(

It's not a great cover, sure, but I think there's enough crummy art that we don't need to pick on legends.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I dunno guys I just can't hate Art Adams. I can't do it. Sorry :(

It's not a great cover, sure, but I think there's enough crummy art that we don't need to pick on legends.

Art Adams is a legend who drew a lovely cover for Secret Avengers 29.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I kind-of think Captain Britain's angle makes sense if you imagine him doing a corkscrew pattern towards the ground :3:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

RevKrule posted:

Is she doing the freeze frame jump in the air from the end of sitcoms? What the hell is the purpose of that???

It's acceptable because Winter Soldier's doing a "what's your deal, lady?" face.

That SA cover, though... yeesh. Of all of them, the only ones jumping off a building are Venom and Valkyrie. I agree that Captain Britain is gliding down, thinking "you guys are retarded". The other three dove face first. What's the plan, Clint? That arrow better turn into one of those big airbags on impact. At least Beast knows he's well and truly hosed, only he's an orangutan now. Can we PLEASE get Beast back to his "blue man" stage again? Nobody draws Cat-Beast worth a poo poo.

Black Widow's alright when you realize the caption is "check it dudes, I'm Catwoman!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zatanna's body just doesn't look right, it's like a female version of Liefield's Captain America. It also looks like she ad her rear end transplanted to her chest.

This cover, also by Adam Hughes, on the other hand looks great and even if I've heard bad things about Fairest this cover makes me wanna read it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Diet Poison posted:

Nobody draws Cat-Beast worth a poo poo.

John Cassaday begs to differ with you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alhazred posted:

Zatanna's body just doesn't look right, it's like a female version of Liefield's Captain America. It also looks like she ad her rear end transplanted to her chest.

That, and the fact her neck is at least two feet long and bent into a V.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

MaxDuo posted:

I was reading through the Batman - Dark Knight stuff recently out of curiosity... I haven't read much DC in a long long time it seems.

Immediately I'm bugged by seeing this:

I've never understood this. Why are eyes and mouths made into tiny, indiscernible marks sometimes? In new comics, no less. I assume the waiter guy at the door is shocked that Bruce Wayne has just entered the building from a small balcony. But I almost can't tell if they drew his mouth hanging open, or if it just looks weird and he's staring ahead blankly.

Not to mention Bruce's eyes, nose, and mouth are almost just drawn as 4 dots.

Also I don't have it near right now, but I dislike the coloring in the first issue of Moon Knight's most recent run. There is a moment where he is climbing into a boat and I thought he was shirtless.... but apparently he was in his full costume at the time, as I found out 3-4 panels later.

I agree so much with this. Any hope of drawing engaging expressions is lost when eyes become tiny slits.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Hey everyone look at James Stokoe's attempt at an "autobio" comic. It's NWS, by the way.

http://orcstain.tumblr.com/post/27708076086/a-short-i-did-while-subletting-in-vancouver-the

I choose to accept that this is exactly what happened and how it looked.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The cover for New Guardians #13 features the first respectable Star Sapphire uniform.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Hey everyone look at James Stokoe's attempt at an "autobio" comic. It's NWS, by the way.

http://orcstain.tumblr.com/post/27708076086/a-short-i-did-while-subletting-in-vancouver-the

I choose to accept that this is exactly what happened and how it looked.

His entire Tumblr is great :allears:

I really hope he sells (not too expensive) prints of the finished V/H/S poster.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I've recently become a fan of Alessandro Barbucci's art:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Baron Bifford posted:

The cover for New Guardians #13 features the first respectable Star Sapphire uniform.

Christ... how many colors of Lanterns are there now? Is this like how there are multiple colors of the Hulk? I'm so out of touch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Christ... how many colors of Lanterns are there now? Is this like how there are multiple colors of the Hulk? I'm so out of touch.
Seven to nine depending on whether you count Black Lanterns and White Lanterns or not.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Alhazred posted:

I've recently become a fan of Alessandro Barbucci's art:

Barbucci is great. Wish there was a more coherent line of info on the next Sky Doll than his blog, though.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dick Trauma posted:

Geoff Johns also created an Infra-Red Lantern Corps. In fact, there are five Infra-Red Lanterns on that cover. Can you spot them all?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
These are pages from Avengers: Initiative #35, art by Jorge Molina.

That's supposed to a baby the woman is holding in her arms. Not a doll. Not shirt design. A human toddler.

Another image has Cloud 9 and Hardball sneaking up behind Komodo, who is pointing a gun at an evil scientist dude. I don't get how she can see they're behind her. It's possible she's seeing them in a mirror, though it's not made clear in the panel. It might be the result of a phone-in rush job.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 25, 2012