Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

So if you own descent 1st edition, could you play the new one with a PDF of the rulebook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Picked up Castles of Burgundy and have had the opportunity to play it a couple times. I've really enjoyed it so far, I think it strikes a nice little balance between the luck of the dice rolls and the strategy involved with laying tiles and everything else. Also seems really accessible, too- I've taught it easily to a few people from my group, as well as a relative who hasn't played Euro board games before.

I do have a potentially dumb question about the rules, however- when you sell goods or pick up worker tiles, are you allowed to immediately use the silverlings/workers in the same turn that you gain them, or do you have to wait until your next turn? I've gone over the rulebook a few times and it still seems kind of ambiguous about this.

Also have been playing Galaxy Trucker more often and that game just gets better the more you play it. Had the funnest game I've played yet wherein we tried out the Enterprise third round ship- I wound up blowing quite a few credits on Robosmokeys to whittle down the two remaining opponents. They blew up not too many rounds later and it was looking swell for me, but I lost all my engines after an attack and on the very last card I pulled Open Space (which everyone was audibly rooting for me to pull). Would've had enough credits to win if I hadn't spent them on Robosmokeys. Brilliant game.

Played a few games of Eminent Domain, which I'm still really lukewarm on right now. I'm still picking up on how it plays, but it doesn't feel as beefy or rewarding as I'd like it to currently- I think it's a bit more subtle of a game than that, though. I went warlord the first go-round and then had some success predominantly trading in the second (really close game, two-way tie for second and first won with one more point), but the games felt pretty samey regardless. I want to pick up some more techs, but the game always ends before I get anything going with them. Gonna stick with it and see how I feel after some more games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rio Grande is apparently a Gencon sponsor so do you guys think I'll be able to snag a copy of Space Alert down there this year?

And completely unrelated but I'm kind of surprised there isn't a Gencon thread.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I always hear about hard to track down games like Mage Night and Space Alert, but then when I go to my local shop they always have like two or three copies. The board game community around here may not be that big, though.

I'm also thinking about attending Gencon since I only live about an hour and half away from Indianapolis. What can someone expect from it? Is it alot of demo gaming and hands on stuff, like games just sort of forming alot, or is it mainly a trade show sort of deal where they show off games but not really play them? Just curious.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

enigmahfc posted:

I always hear about hard to track down games like Mage Night and Space Alert, but then when I go to my local shop they always have like two or three copies. The board game community around here may not be that big, though.

I'm also thinking about attending Gencon since I only live about an hour and half away from Indianapolis. What can someone expect from it? Is it alot of demo gaming and hands on stuff, like games just sort of forming alot, or is it mainly a trade show sort of deal where they show off games but not really play them? Just curious.

I've only been once. But there's a large rear end trade section where there's all sorts of things but there's also events for board games and rpgs. This year there's an area dedicated to play testing things which sounds kinda cool. Last year I basically just walked around and looked at all the cool stuff and played a couple rpgs.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
GenCon is cool, and I'll probably be going, but it's very much a card player's convention unless you want to go buy poo poo in the show room. There's a room for fighting games that I usually hang out in but it's pretty low level play (last year's MvC3 tournament was hilariously awful). There's lots of table space for playing random poo poo but the events themselves are basically just a bunch of tournaments, there's not really a "go here to play Caylus area" or whatever, at least I don't remember one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Countblanc posted:

GenCon is cool, and I'll probably be going, but it's very much a card player's convention unless you want to go buy poo poo in the show room. There's a room for fighting games that I usually hang out in but it's pretty low level play (last year's MvC3 tournament was hilariously awful). There's lots of table space for playing random poo poo but the events themselves are basically just a bunch of tournaments, there's not really a "go here to play Caylus area" or whatever, at least I don't remember one.

I didn't look too heavily into it but the board games seem to fall into two different categories 1) Tournaments and 2) Teaching people how to play the overly complex ones. You can (if the tickets weren't sold out) go and be taught how to play things like Twilight Imperium instead of trying to decipher FFG's rulebook yourself.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I do have a potentially dumb question about the rules, however- when you sell goods or pick up worker tiles, are you allowed to immediately use the silverlings/workers in the same turn that you gain them, or do you have to wait until your next turn? I've gone over the rulebook a few times and it still seems kind of ambiguous about this.

Why would you have to wait to use them? But yes, you can use them immediately to make clever plays.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Prefect Six posted:

Anyone gotten their hands on the new Descent or did I miss all the commotion?

I was the only guy to preorder so I got every promo figure! It looks pretty slick so far, but I won't get to play until next week at the earliest. The coffin box is gone, and I've heard the wrinkles were ironed out, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Street Horrrsing posted:

So if you own descent 1st edition, could you play the new one with a PDF of the rulebook?

I don't think so, the upgrade kit turns all the 1e stuff into 2e's first expansion, so you can still use all the toys. I was mad about this for two days, and then I realized that I was actually pretty cool with the idea.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Len posted:

Rio Grande is apparently a Gencon sponsor so do you guys think I'll be able to snag a copy of Space Alert down there this year?

And completely unrelated but I'm kind of surprised there isn't a Gencon thread.

Kengi will be at Gen*Con selling his copy of Space Alert for a very reasonable price. You should look him up!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Played Roll through The Ages (bronze). Easy to learn - I got a solid second by focusing on acquiring more dice. Should've picked up masonry sooner though.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Kiranamos posted:

Why would you have to wait to use them? But yes, you can use them immediately to make clever plays.
That's the way I've played it with people, I just wasn't sure if acquiring workers and silverlings was more of a terminal, turn-based action that you wouldn't get to utilize until the next turn, which would obviously make the game a fair bit tougher.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

moths posted:

I was the only guy to preorder so I got every promo figure! It looks pretty slick so far, but I won't get to play until next week at the earliest. The coffin box is gone, and I've heard the wrinkles were ironed out, so I'm really looking forward to this.

I don't think so, the upgrade kit turns all the 1e stuff into 2e's first expansion, so you can still use all the toys. I was mad about this for two days, and then I realized that I was actually pretty cool with the idea.

Boardgamegeek seems to be awash with people bemoaning the fact that the line of sight rules changed. Any thoughts on those? I've played a bunch of first ed and don't really remember doing much with line of sight at all.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gort posted:

Boardgamegeek seems to be awash with people bemoaning the fact that the line of sight rules changed. Any thoughts on those? I've played a bunch of first ed and don't really remember doing much with line of sight at all.
The problem is the wording of the rules. It seems that in RAW you cannot trace LOS to a back corner of the target space, because the target itself would interrupt it :psyduck: which could mean that you effectively cannot see the target space itself, only the corners. This is very vague and based on the fact that there's no specific example for this, so it's either a case of unfortunate wording (I hope) or an extremely idiotic move on FFG's part. Preordered it anyway, if it turns out the latter I can sell it with no loss.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
That sounds like something that's easily houseruled, though. As long as everyone's using the same rules for LOS it shouldn't be a problem.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
It's not that simple. The whole cover balance was changed, so if they really hosed that up, houseruling it would upset the balance of all the official scenarios.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't really comment on any differences between editions, since I've never been able to play a complete a game of the original.

Or get it to the table more than twice since I bought it.
:(

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

moths posted:

I can't really comment on any differences between editions, since I've never been able to play a complete a game of the original.

Oh stop whining. Try to herd some cats get a regular group for a RtL/SoB campaign and then we'll talk. Single games are nothing.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 19, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

moths posted:

I can one up that. I bought Tide of Iron in 2007 and it's never seen play.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Hey :siren: Pander and bomblol :siren: are either of you thinking of coming to the games night at the U of I English building? I will be there if you wanted to risk meeting a fellow goon in the wild. The unlocked door faces Wright street on the north/west end of the building. It starts at 7pm.

Sorry, meeting with my normal gaming group tonight at 8! Maybe some other week.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
At last, I've received my copy of Alien Frontiers: Factions along with the Upgrade Pack and first Faction Pack. Everything seems to look good, hoping to get it to the table at Tuesday's BBG meetup. The only complaint is that the borders of the 9 new alien tech cards are a different size than the printing that I have but it's not a deal breaker for me. The color might be duller but whatever.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Pierzak posted:

The problem is the wording of the rules. It seems that in RAW you cannot trace LOS to a back corner of the target space, because the target itself would interrupt it :psyduck: which could mean that you effectively cannot see the target space itself, only the corners. This is very vague and based on the fact that there's no specific example for this, so it's either a case of unfortunate wording (I hope) or an extremely idiotic move on FFG's part. Preordered it anyway, if it turns out the latter I can sell it with no loss.

This is Fantasy Flight we're talking about. They can't publish a rulebook that doesn't need 2 errata and an FAQ.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you need to draw line of sight to the back corner of a space?

Edit: Looked up the BGG thread, and I think the example in the book makes it clear that it's working how they want it to. They said going in that they wanted to speed up the LoS checking process. It's certainly less weird than some of the artifacts of 1st edition's rules.

Tendales fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 22, 2012

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
So I played two new games this weekend: Starcraft (with expansion) and Fresco

Starcraft is surprisingly good. I would even go so far as to say that it's better than TI3 as far as a straight-up space conquest game goes, as the combat and economy is far more interesting, though it has little to no diplomacy apart from what you bring to the table yourself.

Much like in videogame Starcraft (at least competitively), it helps to pick two or three units and mostly focus on those, while trading off between building on your economy, building units, or developing your tech tree. It has a good hand management system in combats, whereby if you aren't careful you can find yourself without anything useful to attack or defend with, and you have some idea of whether you're going to be effective before the battle itself.

Of course, it helps to actually have an understanding of the original game itself, so you know that Corsairs can't shoot down and Firebats can't shoot up (for example). Combats themselves can be AP prone but that improves with experience with the system. I'm definitely keen to play it again.

Fresco is a solid Euro that is simple to pick up and pretty fun to play but I have no desire to actually own it, unlike Starcraft. You need to choose between waking up early (first in turn order but pay more for painting materials) and waking up later (later in turn order but materials are cheaper, and less choice). Feels pretty much like every other Euro I've played though, and I'd probably only recommend it as a gateway game or (1-hour-long) filler.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
If you get Starcraft, Brood War is pretty much required. It fixes a lot of the game's problems and adds a lot of really amazing stuff to the game which make it a lot more interesting and fun.

Too bad it costs so much and takes up so much space (even in the box!).

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Picked up Castles of Burgundy and have had the opportunity to play it a couple times. I've really enjoyed it so far, I think it strikes a nice little balance between the luck of the dice rolls and the strategy involved with laying tiles and everything else. Also seems really accessible, too- I've taught it easily to a few people from my group, as well as a relative who hasn't played Euro board games before.

Picked this up last week as well! Haven't played it yet, but it was the one non-Munchkin game I wanted at a Barnes & Noble where I was trying to burn a gift card. Glad to hear it's accessible.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
I bought the 8th edition of Wiz-War and am loving my purchase. I have played the previous version before, and am I wrong if some spells have been removed? I can't name them, but it just feels like a spell or two is missing.

I hope an expansion gets made. Primarily so that it would allow six players.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Got some CSI credit coming, and was looking at using some on 7 Wonders. How important is the expansion and if I did grab it, how many extra card sleeves would I need with it? Also. looks like the base set is 155 cards. Are they all the same 7 Wonders odd size, or are there any using different sizes?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Back to iPad Le Havre again, if you don't like waiting for your online async opponents to take their turns, and beating the dismal AI over and over has grown boring, just play against two AI opponents, with the following self-imposed rules:

1) No taking loans, ever. If you can't feed your workers, you have to sell a building.
2) To win, you must beat the opponents' combined scores.

This is entirely doable, but by no means automatic (and the fact that it is doable illustrates just how bad the AI really is). I won my first time trying it by 200-ish to 100-ish to 40-ish. Second time, I "lost" 180-ish to 140-ish to 80-ish.

Aside from making the game a fair fight, it also means you have to employ more interesting strategies, because the AI's uselessness combined with your need to scramble for food constantly means that the Steel Mill and Cokery might only get built in the last couple of rounds, if at all, and the special buildings are often very useful.

xopods fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 22, 2012

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
Got to play some Dungeon Petz this weekend. Hell of a lot of fun, hit pretty much all the right buttons for everyone by having a solid combination of blind auction worker placement and a thematic, self-building narrative ("there you go, show the nice man your angry face. no don't poop, no, NO, STOP POOPING"). I think this one's going to make it to the table a lot, if just because it's a worker-placement game that doesn't feel wearying.

Also we've gotten through most of the maps in D-Day Dice. We've played them all with 4 players, so I can't speak for how the game works with less. It only seems like defeat is an option in the first couple turns, after that, it's too easy. I feel like the rules need a rewrite for more then 2 players.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Triple-Kan posted:

Got to play some Dungeon Petz this weekend. Hell of a lot of fun, hit pretty much all the right buttons for everyone by having a solid combination of blind auction worker placement and a thematic, self-building narrative ("there you go, show the nice man your angry face. no don't poop, no, NO, STOP POOPING"). I think this one's going to make it to the table a lot, if just because it's a worker-placement game that doesn't feel wearying.
Ended up teaching Dungeon Petz to three newbies this weekend, with one of them having wanted to play the game for months and months. Teaching it went well, but the aforementioned guy got slightly unlucky (and didn't manage to get any food in the first round), which meant the pet he got in round 1 ended up lasting till round 5 at size 7 with 6 suffering on it and no one wanted to buy the poor, rusted, dented, un-oiled baby golem. Everyone had fun though (or so I hope)!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You don't need to buy leaders for 7 wonders. It adds a LOT of randomness to the game (one leader gives 2 vp; another acts as a UNIVERSAL TRADING POST.) Only buy it when you're bored sick of traditional 7 wonders, because not knowing what leaders someone has can be really annoying.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
My opinion is exactly opposite that. It adds a lot of interesting strategy to the game. I'd consider it almost mandatory.

You draft your leaders, so everyone gets some poo poo ones. It also helps if you play with the variant (it's in the rulebook but for some reason isn't the default rules) that you draft from a hand of 5 leaders and discard the last one, instead of drafting from a hand of 4. Don't like Sappho (2vp)? Discard her. Or if you're not playing with the variant, let her be the one leader out of four that you don't build. Or put her under your wonder. Or discard her for cash if you need it.

There are some times when someone drafts a nearly unbeatable leader setup (Xenophon, Varro, Midas, for example), but that's really rare.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Had a chance to play Eclipse today. Ironically it's been pretty much OOP in Finland since the day it hit: whatever shipments come to stores get scarfed up in moments, so only a friend lucking into buying a copy got us to play it. And hooly poo poo, this is a great game.

I'm a long time 4X fan and Eclipse managed to find just the right balance. Everyone around the table loved it (we played a four man game) except for one guy who made a bee line for the central hex and didn't bother to protect the route much.

I eventually won by making a narrow highway to my space and then barricading it with my boosted up ships, then building an ASSLOAD of monoliths in my secure corner of the galaxy. Gonna play this again a lot.

We also played a couple of rounds of Small World. You all know what Small World is, you all know it's a good game. Can't wait for Realms now that Small World is making its way onto my table all the time again.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I think 7 Wonders with the Leaders expansion makes a great game better. The drafting of leaders at the beginning is just like the rest of the game, so I don't see it as adding some untold randomness to the game. I have never really seen a Leader break the game, some are just more useful to certain playing styles than others. I'd recommend playing it a few times without Leaders just so you can figure out how you like to play before adding in the expansion.

Der Shovel posted:

We also played a couple of rounds of Small World. You all know what Small World is, you all know it's a good game. Can't wait for Realms now that Small World is making its way onto my table all the time again.

I played several games with Realms this weekend and had a lot of fun with it. Set up can sometimes take a few minutes, and the book is not that clear on it sometimes, but the new set ups and potential for player created modules (there are 9 extra game pieces and only one is officially used for the included modules) is pretty great.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Tekopo posted:

The pet he got in round 1 ended up lasting till round 5 at size 7 with 6 suffering on it and no one wanted to buy the poor, rusted, dented, un-oiled baby golem. Everyone had fun though (or so I hope)!

I had the same experience yesterday, only instead of food I drew 3 purple play cards. There's only 4 of them in there! I had the Dunguin set up in a nice anti-magic cage, ready to impress both at the exhibition and to sell it to Warlock, but nope, it suffered a lot instead and couldn't get sold :( I ended up at a meagre 18 points.

Then today in a 4-player Twilight Imperium game, me and the guy across of me were in the lead power-wise. He just conquered my left neighbour's home system, I took Mecatol while having war suns and all my cruisers everywhere. Then the guy to my right plays Ancient Artefact, and everyone spends every trade good they can to have more votes than me. I try to explain that if they blow up my fleet, I'm not going to be able to stop the other guy from winning. I get the typical response: "Eh, we'll see, I've got some tricks!" They succeed, I lose my fleet and the game ends up, predictably, with the other powerful guy winning. King-making sucks even worse when people refuse to believe they are doing it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

nimby posted:

Then today in a 4-player Twilight Imperium game, me and the guy across of me were in the lead power-wise. He just conquered my left neighbour's home system, I took Mecatol while having war suns and all my cruisers everywhere. Then the guy to my right plays Ancient Artefact, and everyone spends every trade good they can to have more votes than me. I try to explain that if they blow up my fleet, I'm not going to be able to stop the other guy from winning. I get the typical response: "Eh, we'll see, I've got some tricks!" They succeed, I lose my fleet and the game ends up, predictably, with the other powerful guy winning. King-making sucks even worse when people refuse to believe they are doing it.
They were probably just hoping for some fireworks. When (if nowadays) I play that with my usual group, if someone has the capability of playing Ancient Artifact everyone (except potentially the poor sod on Mecatol) will enthusiastically vote for it. Either everyone gets free techs or you have hilarious explosions. Win-win if you ask me.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Der Shovel posted:

Had a chance to play Eclipse today. Ironically it's been pretty much OOP in Finland since the day it hit: whatever shipments come to stores get scarfed up in moments, so only a friend lucking into buying a copy got us to play it. And hooly poo poo, this is a great game.

I'm a long time 4X fan and Eclipse managed to find just the right balance. Everyone around the table loved it (we played a four man game) except for one guy who made a bee line for the central hex and didn't bother to protect the route much.

I eventually won by making a narrow highway to my space and then barricading it with my boosted up ships, then building an ASSLOAD of monoliths in my secure corner of the galaxy. Gonna play this again a lot.

I've played it, too, and my experience was not quite as positive. I had an okay start, but by turn 5 I and my neighbor got hit hard by one other player. Consequently, our economy went into the pits and we spent the next four turns putzing around while three other players just took off. The end left the winner with 40+ points, two other players with 30+ points, and the bottom three in the teens. It seemed like an interesting game, but that particular session was not very fun at all for me.

Granted, that was my first time playing. Those of you who've played it more, was this experience atypical? I'd be willing to give it another go, but at first glance it appeared to have a problem with "the poor get poorer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Was anyone going to make a GenCon 2012 thread? I was going to but then I realized I've only been once and don't really know poo poo about it other than that it has a lot of really bad fighting game players and a showroom you shouldn't shop in until sunday.

• Locked thread