Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Edit There's an update at the bottom of the previous page.

We're losing a lot of good dwarves. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
Here's the Combat Log: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?b9dqhc6iiskhic0

This one, of course, carries on from the previous battle against the reptile men. And then the Goblin combat.

(last update is on previous page).

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

From the Overseer Diary of OhCrap Mountainmist, 238, Bronzestabbed

25th Galena 238

I am Worst Overseer. It was inevitable that there would be Crankies.

Willie Tomg crankies of Dead Own Fine Pet. I do not Heed. Much loss was had.

26th Galena 238

I think that Reservoir will finally Fill.

I plan New Militia Uniform. We will Learn from Loss.

Next Overseer must continue making Armour and Rebuild Militia.

27th Galena 238

Our Heroes will be Remembered.

Even those who did not Wield Weapons.

1st Limestone 238

One day Dwarfs may forgive me.

One day Dwarfs may forget.

Until then, I will be a Good Meatshield. Best. For the Last Hope.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
And I am done.

I want to thank all my fellow goons for their indulgence, encouragement, and feedback. It has been a truly fun and enjoyable experience. I'm amazed at how well random events played to the (very) rough story line I had in mind.. she was always going to be a Bad Overseer in the end, but I didn't want to deliberately do anything stupid. I'm grateful to have had the chance to tell part of the story.

On the last couple of updates - unfortunately Humph was running from a goblin that was twice as fast as him. He never had a chance, and I'm amazed that he got as far as he did. The human caravan was perfect timing, and Pleky McDwarfson and Peas stayed near the bridge as soon as I locked the doors.

Leperflesh has setup a really great game, and I think it'll be an amazing LP. I'm glad I didn't miss out when I skipped the thread for a day, but when I put my name in, I was fully prepared to put in the time needed.

I really look forward to the next overseer! :)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Excellent year OhCrap, and a perfect example of why people don't need to be nervous when a new name pops up for overseer. Whoever gets the next year is going to have their work cut out for them though, as we're probably going to see the full extent of goblin aggression soon.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

TildeATH posted:

4th Obsidian 237
Mandates: Feed me pickles (3/3)
Feed me ice cream (2/2)

A mandate has been missed!
Dwarf Baby is throwing a tantrum
Dwarf Baby kicks the Falgund's uturus wall, bruising the fat through the fat!
Dwarf Baby kicks the Falgund's placenta, shattering it!
Dwarf Mother grabs Dwarf Baby with her Extremely Powerful Pelvic Muscles, latching on tightly!
Dwarf Mother throws Dwarf Baby onto the floor!
Dwarf Baby slams into an obstacle!

Mother, your little migrant has arrived! I can only imagine that this great beast that bore me to this fine fortress is some kind of pack animal--a shaggy pack animal. I shall adore your kind forever, oh yak, for providing me this service. Now take me to my obviously svelte and beautiful mother. No, wait, first take me to my father, whom I'm sure looks like this:

Yes, this is the image I have dwelt on long in that dark cave, of what surely must be my completely heterosexual and not at all creepy father! Take me to him oh beloved yak!

This is great!

And you were great, OhCrap. Awesome A+ overseership, would read again! I can't wait to see where the next guy takes us from here!

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
:slowclap:

I've liked all three overseers thus far, but your turn, OhCrap, really was magnificent. It's because of your style which was funny and natural, it didn't feel forced in any way. Thanks for a great turn, it was really entertaining!

It's a shame I didn't make it in time to see the Overseer Who Cries Heed. I'll probably be in the migrant wave that comes at the beginning of the next overseer's turn though, so I'll arrive at a fort with very weird atmosphere as OhCrap's overseeing will be a very recent memory for all.

e: gently caress, apparently if the last migrant wave had but one dwarf more, I'd already be here. The frustration! :v: Oh well, eagerly waiting!

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
Save is uploaded for Leperflesh!

Here is a Fine Image. It menaces with Spikes of Bad Overseer. It relates to the Growth of Kilrudzat into a City in 238.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

OhCrap posted:

Save is uploaded for Leperflesh!

Here is a Fine Image. It menaces with Spikes of Bad Overseer. It relates to the Growth of Kilrudzat into a City in 238.

So many dwarves, so few soldiers.

And look at that drink count. Barely more than one unit of booze per dwarf!!! :colbert:

Seriously though, good turn.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Vox Nihili posted:

So many dwarves, so few soldiers.

And look at that drink count. Barely more than one unit of booze per dwarf!!! :colbert:

Seriously though, good turn.

Of course you know that's just the ones on duty :) The still has been running more or less non-stop for the whole year. We need another still.

And thanks :)

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
OhCrap, your turn was a lot of fun to follow and has provided me with amusing distraction in the middle of the ever-tedious moving process. I hope your dwarf survives for awhile to keep the soap pile high! (And the pile of goblin heads, though that's a bit more dangerous....)

Poor OhCrap-dwarf. Not at all the Worst Overseer, but I suspect she'll be the last one to ever believe that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

OhCrap posted:

Of course you know that's just the ones on duty :) The still has been running more or less non-stop for the whole year. We need another still.

And thanks :)

On duty? The dwarves in this fort follow a schedule? They don't just train year round?

That would definitely be the first thing I changed. Sad soldiers are much better than poorly trained ones.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Rurik posted:

e: gently caress, apparently if the last migrant wave had but one dwarf more, I'd already be here. The frustration! :v: Oh well, eagerly waiting!

The only reason you didn't make it was that you specified adult male dwarf. I did try to hold to people's preferences in that regard, as much as possible.

Internet Kraken posted:

On duty? The dwarves in this fort follow a schedule? They don't just train year round?

That would definitely be the first thing I changed. Sad soldiers are much better than poorly trained ones.

Bad Munki is cranky enough already :) But we all have our own styles, and the schedules had been defined before I took it on. I just set them to active and added to it. The marskdwarfs do take potshots at wildlife while on patrol, which I imagine is fun for them.

Thanks everyone!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Holy poo poo, going through that combat log, my dwarf must have been pissed. When he got to that lizard man, he cut off its arms and legs, and then got his sword lodged in the "upper leg" (which I picture to include the groinal region) and just gored the poo poo out of the lizardman while a hammerdwarf beat him soundly about the head and chest. :stare:

Vengeance for Brother and Father. :hist101:

sum
Nov 15, 2010

There's 114 dwarves? What? I thought there were a few dozen at most.

Also nthing that your turn was incredibly fun to read, I'll admit I had reservations when your name popped up instead of one of the old guards, but it came out as well as it possibly could have. Good work.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Echoing the sentiment here, I quite enjoyed your turn, OhCrap. I swear I had dwarf-you's voice in my head for the last week or so. It's even inspired me at work.

Some boots to fill for whoever's next, for sure.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Antitonic posted:

Echoing the sentiment here, I quite enjoyed your turn, OhCrap. I swear I had dwarf-you's voice in my head for the last week or so. It's even inspired me at work.

Some boots to fill for whoever's next, for sure.

I laughed so hard :)

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

OhCrap posted:

The only reason you didn't make it was that you specified adult male dwarf. I did try to hold to people's preferences in that regard, as much as possible.
Oh my, thanks. :) Then it doesn't bother me at all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also echoing the "I'm sorry we ever doubted you" sentiment. That was a drat fine turn.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

OhCrap posted:

I laughed so hard :)
Hey, I wish I could take credit for that. Contrary to what OhCrap-dwarf might believe, she was a Good Overseer to do make Good Updates.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
One of, if not the, funniest years of Dwarf Fortress I've ever read. :golfclap:

On top of everything, you've also managed to positively influence the way Dwarves will be written in the future.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Excellently done.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
A great year to follow! My only constructive critism is that some of the updates could have been lumped together, rather than having lots of smaller ones. But then, i'm mainly thinking about the poor bugger who has to archive this!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Consider my doubts broken, OhCrap. Amazing year.

My only complaint: the text logs you posted on Mediafire cut off a whole lot from the right and instead of using timg you just shrunk the screenshots beforehand. Some of the smaller text was pretty hard to read.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Grey Hunter posted:

A great year to follow! My only constructive critism is that some of the updates could have been lumped together, rather than having lots of smaller ones. But then, i'm mainly thinking about the poor bugger who has to archive this!

scamtank posted:

Consider my doubts broken, OhCrap. Amazing year.

My only complaint: the text logs you posted on Mediafire cut off a whole lot from the right and instead of using timg you just shrunk the screenshots beforehand. Some of the smaller text was pretty hard to read.

Both perfectly valid criticisms.

I was writing as I went, and I had a rough screenshot limit of 20 - 30 to try to keep the posts within some bounds. I am guilty of picking moments to cut off a post in some kind of effort to do some storytelling 'tricks'.

I will say that (mostly) the text shots weren't intended to be read wholesale. The Mediafire logs - yes, I noticed that. Honestly, the links going to a "view" mode was just intended as a courtesy, I think the actual log should be downloadable though? If not I'll give you some links.

All of the original screenshots were kept and I've made them available for Leperflesh to download, so the size could be fixed for the archive. I was using a suggestion of 800 width maximum and having them resized on the fly with Rightload.

I have an Update that isn't strictly an Update coming shortly.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

From the Private Overseer Files of OhCrap MountainMist, 238, Bronzestabbed

I have Informed Leperfish of New Overseer advised by Sankis. He will tell Dwarfs of New Overseer soon.

I have one final Duty as Overseer. I must to Complete my History of New Dwarfs. I did get too Busy doing Overseer Duty. I do not know if New Overseer will allow me to Keep Own Fine Job. But perhaps if New Overseer sees this Hard Work, I will be allowed to Redeem.

I am a Bad Overseer. But I have been a Good Meatshield. And I wish only to serve The Rare Ship and protect Last Great Hope.

History of New Dwarfs - 1st Limestone, 238

Arrived 25th Slate, 238

Tosca Cake

Zapdos

Dallbun

overthefalls

Ventnor

brute

Jessant

Captain_duck

Moonwalk

Barbarossa

Saith

life_source

Leal

woytaz

InwardChaos

Strom Cuzewon

Joecool

Shorter Than Some

Willie Tomg

neongrey

TremendousMajestic

Mlle

Three Phase The Neurotic

Dareon

Teddles

Ven-Garr

Ajaxify

Mzbundifund

PoptartsNinja

Spikey

Arrived 17th Malachite, 238

DrMelon

SourceElement

Nekomata

Star Guarded

Black Griffon

Fiddler Three

Tiler Kiwi

Tiler Kiwi informs of past battle with Bad Dwarf Urdim Phrasedlances. Urdim Phrasedlances did become Bad Beaver! Obviously Murk made Bad Dwarf to Worse Dwarf. Urdim Phrasedlances was later made Dead by Famous Hunter of Bad Cows, who was Parent of Humph :smith:

Helical Nightmares

Hostile Rabbi

Natty Ninefingers

red mammoth

Anela Cistine

Hudlinkin

Mortal Sword

Born during Overseership

Acallapani

antitonic

TildeATH

Male Man

Improbable Lobster

OhCrap fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 23, 2012

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The other Overseers have quite a hurdle to beat yours. I'm also surprised at how many migrants have shown up each time, and so far none of them have been massacred by ambushes. Definitely looking forward to future updates, and maybe a second term for OhCrap if it lasts long enough.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

OhCrap posted:

I plan New Militia Uniform. We will Learn from Loss.jpeg.

After the most recent events, I think it's only appropriate that we have a dorf version of this:

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
My 5 second effort ...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

OhCrap posted:

My 5 second effort ...

What do you get for effort? Beaten. :(

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Bad Munki posted:

Best Ever :)

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

I'm a terrible human being, after seeing that I couldn't help but think that the last panel needs a mug.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Vadoc posted:

I'm a terrible human being, after seeing that I couldn't help but think that the last panel needs a mug.

No, that is a Bad Joke.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Am I alone in thinking that the first panel should have a Goblin Snatcher sneaking out the door?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Technical Analysis posted:

Am I alone in thinking that the first panel should have a Goblin Snatcher sneaking out the door?

Probably as bad as mine.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Bad Munki posted:

Good lord, hairbird is multiplying! :aaa:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Call for Overseers

Okay everyone! OhCrap has finished out his year, so it's time for the next overseer signup.

If you want to be the next Overseer, fill out the form here

You can see the spreadsheet here

Even if you previously put your name in, you have to do it again if you want to apply for this year.

The next overseer is almost certain to have to deal with goblin invaders. The fortress is in pretty good shape, but you need to be familiar with Dwarf Fortress, understand how to manage the military, and be able to deal with over a hundred dwarves at a time. You need to have spare time in the next week or two, as well; once you get the save, I'll be asking you to produce updates at least once every 48 hours, roughly - 72 at the outside. If you're about to be busy then don't sign up!

If you put your name in, please check back in 24 hours to see if you got picked. You'll also need to be in regular contact with me, via PMs or email (my user name at gmail.com).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think you may have neglected to clear the spreadsheet since last time, or whatever it was you did before, it appears to be adding new registrants onto the end of the old list or something.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
If I didn't have a total of 2 hours a night of play time plus an event I need to practice for this week I'd sign up, and updates are like 6 hours or so of working time per update. In a month or two I'll go ahead and get on that list, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I think you may have neglected to clear the spreadsheet since last time, or whatever it was you did before, it appears to be adding new registrants onto the end of the old list or something.

Yeah, the form adds on to wherever it left off regardless of whether I clear the cells or not, so I just left them. But since it's maybe confusing, I've greyed out the old entries, so the new ones should stand out better.

• Locked thread