Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Why did they also remove the football players that were charging out of the wall? Were they attached somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?MST4RhWdlMQ
This sort of poo poo is of course going to be overshadowed by the Aurora shooting, but still needs to be brought up.

loving part at the end is just icing on the cake, loving cops offering to buy the cell phone footage people took of the incident off of them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...pm_national_pop

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 23, 2012

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Volcott posted:

Why did they also remove the football players that were charging out of the wall? Were they attached somehow?

They were obviously in on it. :rolleyes:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Some of the vids are not loading so heres some alternates and some of the articles collected:

quote:

Anaheim Police Shoot Children & Innocent Citizens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh6CzSd-BSk

California Police Shoot at Women and Children in Protest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs8a5bxfgfo

Police Open Fire, Set Dogs On Moms and Children In Anaheim 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHlMHd1DxqQ
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...PA3W_story.html

quote:

Video captured by a KCAL-TV crew showed a chaotic scene as some people ducked to the ground and others scattered screaming. A man is seen yelling at an officer even as a weapon is pointed at him; two adults huddled to shield a boy and girl. Meanwhile, a police dog charged at several people sitting on the grass, including a woman and a child in a stroller, before biting a man in the arm.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/police-364905-dunn-anaheim.html
http://www.ocregister.com/news/dunn-364896-officer-police.html

quote:

Police reportedly tried to buy any video taken by witnesses on their cellphones, residents said.

quote:

Near Riot At Anaheim, CA, As Police Try To "Buy" Cell Phone Videos With Evidence Against Them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roeivncV6Co

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

One day late, but I just wanted to say that I really think this was a beautiful post and well put together.

No matter the day though I'll always feel for my norska bröder och systrar :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It just dawned on me the poor taste in this.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Wait, hold up, I thought this was the Leopold II monument:

The suggested LeoII monument per Mark Twain in his 1905 King Leopold's Soliloquy. http://msuweb.montclair.edu/~furrg/i2l/kls.html

Obligatory addition of White King, Red Rubber, Black Death to every Congo Free State post in case someone has not yet seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpibEk3lUg0

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

the2ndgenesis posted:

How are Penn State's students/alumni/whatever reacting to the removal of the statue?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
I'll confess to even being more of a manchild 20 years ago than I am now, and I while I never owned a firearm, I was heavily in support of the right to at that time, often read Guns & Ammo, etc. I recall this book being heavily praised especially considering the authors supposed biases at the time heading into the research, and a quick googling now about it of course inundates me with libertarian sites and gushing reviews from the expected fans. Never read it at the time though.

So, what's the general consensus on this 20 years later? Other than this chart I see posted (often mocked), haven't heard much about it. Could someone offer up some links to well reasoned critique of the book that I'm obviously too inept to find?

Bandanna
Nov 3, 2005

Bulletproof

I am a Canadian who knows nothing about football, but am considering Penn State for grad school next year. Is this some sort of mistake?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
Middleeast.png

Chewbacca Defense
Sep 6, 2009

High speed, low drag.

ZearothK posted:

For gently caress's sake, if you see racism in this, you're a loving racist.

Chewbacca Defense fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 23, 2012

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

:3:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Bandanna posted:

I am a Canadian who knows nothing about football, but am considering Penn State for grad school next year. Is this some sort of mistake?

As a Pennsylvania resident and somebody that knows a poo poo ton of people that have gone to Penn State: yes. Penn State has some good programs, but overall the place is hosed.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ZearothK posted:

Gorillas are the real racists.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I'll confess to even being more of a manchild 20 years ago than I am now, and I while I never owned a firearm, I was heavily in support of the right to at that time, often read Guns & Ammo, etc. I recall this book being heavily praised especially considering the authors supposed biases at the time heading into the research, and a quick googling now about it of course inundates me with libertarian sites and gushing reviews from the expected fans. Never read it at the time though.

So, what's the general consensus on this 20 years later? Other than this chart I see posted (often mocked), haven't heard much about it. Could someone offer up some links to well reasoned critique of the book that I'm obviously too inept to find?

Some of the problems with the chart include what qualifies as an 'injury' in terms of severity, survivability, etc. For all we know, gunchart's qualification for injury could be anything from scraped skin cells to a missing limb. Second, even assuming the best (imo, 'Injury' qualifying as bruises and cuts) the gun end of the chart having a low rate of injury doesn't necessarily mean that all but 13% of people are coming away unscathed. This is because the chart expressly ignores fatality rates. So again, for all we know, 83% of people using guns could've been killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSfdYw-JqbU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The movie was in poor taste but there's nothing wrong with the poster.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 23, 2012

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This gun control v. crime control argument I see on TV with the talking heads is ludicrous. They go hand in hand.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

This was painted over and later replaced by this:

It's being 'King Robbo' goes around and ruins them.

Walking into town and seeing that, was depressing.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Bandanna posted:

Here, have a roll of Penn State diplomas

Hardcore Phonography
Apr 28, 2004

I have my eye on a suite in Baker Street.

Chewbacca Defense posted:

For gently caress's sake, if you see racism in this, you're a loving racist.

Clearly the gray gorillas were the 1%, hiding inside their lair of blue diamonds until the Great Black Amy liberated it for the masses (her owner) who destroyed the means of production (the volcano).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shiffty
Apr 8, 2009

Could someone please explain people's love of using Switzerland as an example for being an awesome gun rights country? I just studied in London this past semester, befriended a Swiss national, and his take on it was basically that yeah, every male is conscripted and given a crate with their basic supplies and guns, but not to be opened unless called upon to by the government. Doing so without the government telling you to for any reason, and I believe he said they checked, resulted in severe criminal charges. So yeah, they're all given guns and trained in their use, as well as most citizens being basically a reserves-style military force with the skills and intermittent training sessions/work obligations for it, but they're not allowed to use their government issued weapons for personal use. Why does that sound so great?:confused:

He also repeatedly called it the biggest police state in the world. Apparently, if you're leaving your place of residence for more than 48 hours, you're supposed to inform two non-related neighbors, as well as the local police department.

Edit: They do also have a standing army, its active force is just small, while the rest of the male population is in the reserves, not some 'militia.'

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
Attributing Switzerland's prosperity and security to high levels of gun ownership is incredibly intellectually dishonest. If gun ownership were a reasonable metric of social wellbeing the United States would be far and away the most secure and prosperous nation on the planet, right up there with Serbia.

Switzerland has few firearms crimes because (like most countries with low crime irrespective of whether or not they allow guns) it is rich, small and generally isolated. It has a solid public infrastructure and a high employment rate with low rates of poverty, hard drug use, and urban deprivation- i.e. the exact things that, when combined with high rates of gun ownership, lead to firearms crimes in the US. Go figure.

Furthermore the gun cultures of the US and Switzerland are fundamentally different from each other. Switzerland as an independent confederation has employed a militia-based military for longer than the United States has existed and the criteria by which one is allowed to keep or buy a firearm are much stricter de facto in Switzerland than they are in the US. No one in Switzerland is attempting to invoke legislation that was written at a time in which muzzle loading muskets were the most advanced firearms in order to defend their right to own high caliber hunting rifles and semiautomatic assault rifles with few restrictions.

Contributing:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

shiffty posted:

Could someone please explain people's love of using Switzerland as an example for being an awesome gun rights country? I just studied in London this past semester, befriended a Swiss national, and his take on it was basically that yeah, every male is conscripted and given a crate with their basic supplies and guns, but not to be opened unless called upon to by the government. Doing so without the government telling you to for any reason, and I believe he said they checked, resulted in severe criminal charges. So yeah, they're all given guns and trained in their use, as well as most citizens being basically a reserves-style military force with the skills and intermittent training sessions/work obligations for it, but they're not allowed to use their government issued weapons for personal use. Why does that sound so great?:confused:

He also repeatedly called it the biggest police state in the world. Apparently, if you're leaving your place of residence for more than 48 hours, you're supposed to inform two non-related neighbors, as well as the local police department.

Edit: They do also have a standing army, its active force is just small, while the rest of the male population is in the reserves, not some 'militia.'

Switzerland is paranoid about invasion, have been for a very long time, and even in a time when Europe are no longer at war with each other they still insist on this sort of preparation. Switzerland is essentially a nation of survivalists.

shiffty
Apr 8, 2009

Crasscrab posted:

Switzerland is paranoid about invasion, have been for a very long time, and even in a time when Europe are no longer at war with each other they still insist on this sort of preparation. Switzerland is essentially a nation of survivalists.

I understand that, and it seems to be a preparedness level that Israel is on, albeit without using their military in the ways Israel does. But what makes people think they have all these superior gun rights than we do?

Also, Crass, here in the 'burgh, the wide spectrum of responses regarding the PSU/Sandusky stuff has made for a entertaining, at times repetitive and :wtc:, day on social media. Every aspect of the whole thing though is dumb IMHO.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
People are crazy about Penn State and I have no idea why. I looked at the school while looking into colleges and I hated it and heard nothing but horror stories from friends and family. All the classes are huge and the football program seems to be the entire raison d'être for the college.

Picture

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 23, 2012

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

the2ndgenesis posted:

How are Penn State's students/alumni/whatever reacting to the removal of the statue?

Not as much from the statue but from the NCAA sanctions that came down this morning, but I bet it's not too different for many people:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Crasscrab posted:

People are crazy about Penn State and I have no idea why. I looked at the school while looking into colleges and I hated it and heard nothing but horror stories from friends and family. All the classes are huge and the football program seems to be the entire raison d'être for the college.

A fun reminder, when Joe Paterno was fired for this way back in November Penn State students rioted and flipped over a news van.

The eXiled said it best when they linked to the news article as "Frat-Boys Stage World’s First Pro-NAMBLA Riot".

EDIT: Crasscrab, don't forget a picture.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I watched the decision this morning and I agreed with everything the NCAA decided. Penn State is not the only program in the country with "football first" culture. I had two college friends get raped by football players and both of them hit a brick wall when they tried to pursue any kind of legal action or punitive action against the players.

Some are screaming the decision is too harsh and it will kill Penn State. My attitude is maybe this will make other college and high school football programs in the country take a step back and consider what it could cost them to continue with their football first attitude, especially when it harbors sexual predators.

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

the2ndgenesis posted:

Attributing Switzerland's prosperity and security to high levels of gun ownership is incredibly intellectually dishonest.

Attributing Switzerland's prosperity to anything other than the enthusiastic laundering of looted Nazi wealth, and the subsequent failure to return stolen items or pay any kind of compensation to the victims whether individuals or nation states is incredibly intellectually dishonest.

In summary .. gently caress Switzerland forever.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/nazis/readings/sinister.html

http://www.snb.ch/en/mmr/reference/snb_gold_ww2_vogler/source

http://www.state.gov/www/policy_remarks/1998/980602_eizenstat_nazigld.html

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I fully support a Swiss experiment in the US.

When you graduate from High school you spend a week or two doing fitness drills, firearm, and first aid training. It builds community - every citizen does it, and this country needs some social cohesion.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

McDowell posted:

I fully support a Swiss experiment in the US.

When you graduate from High school you spend a week or two doing fitness drills, firearm, and first aid training. It builds community - every citizen does it, and this country needs some social cohesion.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Hahaha they looked like Super-Deformed anime characters.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crasscrab posted:

Norway also have variant of this. After ending the mandatory term in the military you're given a gun and have to participate on the occasional drill. My brother had an assault rifle and a gas mask for a couple of year after his term.

A recruitment poster for the Norwegian military written in Urdu.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

You don't have to go to pretend army people to find that.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The reason I'm against military conscription in the US is because there's no evidence that it will improve the nation or decrease it's military adventurism. Plus it's a way to derail and co-opt equality by offering something that does not truly offering equality (i.e. conscripting minorities, homosexuals and women while ignoring the economic issues)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

LP97S posted:

The reason I'm against military conscription in the US is because there's no evidence that it will improve the nation or decrease it's military adventurism. Plus it's a way to derail and co-opt equality by offering something that does not truly offering equality (i.e. conscripting minorities, homosexuals and women while ignoring the economic issues)

The rich and connected are always going to find ways out, but there's the argument that when it starts hitting the (ever shrinking) middle class more, making them feel the pinch and the loss, that people are more apt to take war seriously. McChrystal echoed this recently.

and another fat army guy in our very "professional" military since I don't have a relevant picture

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Good video on the media coverage of mass shootings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4

I don't think image has come up in this iteration of the thread:

Bee Hive Collective's page on the piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Fluo posted:

It's being 'King Robbo' goes around and ruins them.

Walking into town and seeing that, was depressing.

Robbo is 100% in the right.

• Locked thread