Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

What other Omnibuses (Omnibi?) are recommended reading? I currently own Ultimate Spider-Man, Claremont X-Men vol. 1&2, Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, Age of Apocalypse and Fatal Attractions. I'm not really a fan of most of the Silver Age stuff.

I'd get Secret Warriors, but it isn't in stock on Amazon UK/Book Depository yet.
You should probably put this in the recommendation thread.

And Morrison's New X-Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

You should probably put this in the recommendation thread.

And Morrison's New X-Men.

Will do.

I'll definitely get New X-Men, but the original is out of print and the reprint isn't out for another month.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

If I already have the three Ultimate Collection books for New X-Men, would it be worth it to pick up the re-print of the omnibus?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

obi_ant posted:

If I already have the three Ultimate Collection books for New X-Men, would it be worth it to pick up the re-print of the omnibus?
Do you want a giant hardcover? Because there's no new content.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

I figure the Ultimate collections would be a lot easier to read.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

obi_ant posted:

Igor Kordey's art really shines in the oversized format!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheManWithNoName posted:

Igor Kordey's art really shines in the oversized format!

It literally drips of the page!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

redbackground posted:

He's nuts. The Y hardcovers are incredibly well done--love that paper stock.

The dust jackets are the worst part, they somehow feel slimy. I prefer a stocky glossy paper to the matte paper too.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Daredevil HC 1-3 + King of Hell's Kitchen TPB + Bendis Omni Vol 2 buddy.

:):hf::)

The different spine layout on the 2nd hardcover bugs me more than having a TPB in between the other collections.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Karnegal posted:

The dust jackets are the worst part, they somehow feel slimy. I prefer a stocky glossy paper to the matte paper too.

That's why I never got the other ones.
Well that and the smell :gonk:
How do you make a book smell so bad?

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

You just made me go and smell mine, they smell fine to me...

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Mister Chompers posted:

You just made me go and smell mine, they smell fine to me...

Can we trade?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ominous Jazz posted:

I have no idea what you all are talking about.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Absolute Sandman is basically golden, right? I really want to buy Sandman because what I've read is amazing, and while Annotated Sandman seems pretty awesome it doesn't really seem like a great way to read most of the comic for the first time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

WickedIcon posted:

Absolute Sandman is basically golden, right? I really want to buy Sandman because what I've read is amazing, and while Annotated Sandman seems pretty awesome it doesn't really seem like a great way to read most of the comic for the first time.

It's nicely recolored and there is tons of special features in the back and generally looks great. No problems that I know of. The first four volumes collect the entire run, the fifth is some extra material not part of the 75 issues, and Absolute Death has her two miniseries plus a couple of things already collected in the Sandman volumes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WickedIcon posted:

The only thing I'd balk at is that it's a huge investment if you've never read the series before. It's a masterpiece and the Absolutes are by far the best way to get it between the scaled up art, the extras, and how they restored everything to the correct order but that doesn't mean that you'll definitely love it enough to get six volumes like that. There are some unfortunate, sick, delusional people out there who don't like Sandman (probably degenerates as well) and even one volume could be too much for them.

Basically what I'm saying is yes, the Absolutes are perfect but be sure that you want to commit to getting the whole set (volumes 1 to 5 and Absolute Death) before diving in.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Here is mine and I got a bunch of stuff coming

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 20, 2012

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

bobkatt's shelves just reminded me I need to pick up the third BPRD hardcover! I'm falling behind, but catching up feels better than waiting for the next book, right?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I've always been interested in Judge Dredd and with the Complete Casefiles being reprinted and released in America I've started picking them up. I have a few Dredd newbie questions though.

1. Do the new editions of the case files released in America (http://www.amazon.com/Judge-Dredd-Case-Files-01/dp/1906735875/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343054676&sr=8-1&keywords=dredd+case+files) correspond to the UK only case files (ex: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-Complete-Case-Files/dp/1904265790/zetaminor-21) released in previous years? I'm not sure how committed they are to re-releasing these books, so if they stop putting them out I'd like to know if I can just switch over to the UK only releases.

2. Has there been any word as to whether or not IDW's Dredd license will affect the release of the case files?

3. How much Dredd material is uncollected in these volumes? I've read that episodes 11-12 and 17-18 (Progs 71-72/77-78) are uncollected due to fears about trademark infringement. Are there any other episodes that aren't in the casefiles? Is the only way to get these episodes to buy the original progs?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tato posted:

I've always been interested in Judge Dredd and with the Complete Casefiles being reprinted and released in America I've started picking them up. I have a few Dredd newbie questions though.

1. Do the new editions of the case files released in America (http://www.amazon.com/Judge-Dredd-Case-Files-01/dp/1906735875/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343054676&sr=8-1&keywords=dredd+case+files) correspond to the UK only case files (ex: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-Complete-Case-Files/dp/1904265790/zetaminor-21) released in previous years? I'm not sure how committed they are to re-releasing these books, so if they stop putting them out I'd like to know if I can just switch over to the UK only releases.

3. How much Dredd material is uncollected in these volumes? I've read that episodes 11-12 and 17-18 (Progs 71-72/77-78) are uncollected due to fears about trademark infringement. Are there any other episodes that aren't in the casefiles? Is the only way to get these episodes to buy the original progs?

1) They are the same ones it is just the UK ones have been released first.
3) Not fears it has a Ronald McDonald shooting a guy for making a mess. They are stupidly hard to find as they promised McDonalds, Burger King, and other Fast Food restraunts that they would not reprint them ever.

I also do not think America is collected in them.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 23, 2012

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug

bobkatt013 posted:

1) They are the same ones it is just the UK ones have been released first.
3) Not fears it has a Ronald McDonald shooting a guy for making a mess. They are stupidly hard to find as they promised McDonalds, Burger King, and other Fast Food restraunts that they would not reprint them ever.

Would you happend to know if the US volumes look like the UK ones? I have started buying the UK ones, the first are hard to dinf and it would be nice if I had a matching set in the bookshelf :)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Scuttle_SE posted:

Would you happend to know if the US volumes look like the UK ones? I have started buying the UK ones, the first are hard to dinf and it would be nice if I had a matching set in the bookshelf :)

If you go up to the pictures of my bookshelf you can see volumes 1-10 and 13-17. 13-17 are diffrent since they are in color and better paper stock. It is in the third picture second shelf.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The US volumes don't use the solid color scheme like on the fronts and backs of the UK editions. They're mostly white and feature different head shots of Judge Dredd on all the volumes (except for 3, which has Judge Death).

They do, however, maintain the bizarre spine design of the UK versions, where the volume numbers seem to go up and down at random. The US spines look just like these, they're just white with black text instead of the colors.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Tato posted:

The US volumes don't use the solid color scheme like on the fronts and backs of the UK editions. They're mostly white and feature different head shots of Judge Dredd on all the volumes (except for 3, which has Judge Death).

They do, however, maintain the bizarre spine design of the UK versions, where the volume numbers seem to go up and down at random. The US spines look just like these, they're just white with black text instead of the colors.

That looks like they scale the "Judge Dredd" so the font is proportional to the thickness of the book. Kinda messy, but probably not random.

I really wish someone would put people with an eye for design aesthetics on the creation of spines for TPB's. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bairfanx posted:

That looks like they scale the "Judge Dredd" so the font is proportional to the thickness of the book. Kinda messy, but probably not random.

I really wish someone would put people with an eye for design aesthetics on the creation of spines for TPB's. :(
I think it's a decent design, actually. The problem is that it's only a good design across multiple books if each book is the same thickness, and that's not the case here.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Endless Mike posted:

I think it's a decent design, actually. The problem is that it's only a good design across multiple books if each book is the same thickness, and that's not the case here.

That's actually exactly what I meant and should have been a bit more specific, I suppose. I think they're pretty, but having it set to scale with the thickness of the book just makes the differences stand out.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

bobkatt013 posted:

I also do not think America is collected in them.

That's because they haven't reached America yet. It will be, just not till volume... 40? Or thereabouts.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

paulnewmanseyes posted:

That's because they haven't reached America yet. It will be, just not till volume... 40? Or thereabouts.

Really? Since the first part is in Judge Dredd Megazine #1.01-1.07

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
Huh, my bad. Apparently it doesn't count as a Dredd story.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Current status of the redbackground trade and hardcover library:

(I've somehow completely misplaced the slipcover for Gotham Central V1.)

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I've got a pretty modest collection compared to some of you guys...

TPB side of my 4x4 Expedit. Best shelf I've ever owned.
I put my heavier hardcovers on the bottom row just to be safe...

Tip: if you're considering the larger 5x5 Expedit, keep in mind it should be bracketed to wall studs to prevent tipping. I nearly bought one but the only wall in my room where it could have gone didn't have properly spaced studs. The 4x4 was just enough (with some double-stacking) to hold every book I own.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Hatter106 posted:

Tip: if you're considering the larger 5x5 Expedit, keep in mind it should be bracketed to wall studs to prevent tipping. I nearly bought one but the only wall in my room where it could have gone didn't have properly spaced studs. The 4x4 was just enough (with some double-stacking) to hold every book I own.
I'm no carpenter, but if you're just looking to prevent tipping a toggle bolt should be more than enough, doesn't require studs, and is easier than drywall screws to use reliably.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StumblyWumbly posted:

I'm no carpenter, but if you're just looking to prevent tipping a toggle bolt should be more than enough, doesn't require studs, and is easier than drywall screws to use reliably.

What if you live in a 100 year old house with plastered walls and no real drywall?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

What if you live in a 100 year old house with plastered walls and no real drywall?

I use toggle bolts on plaster & lathe walls and they hold up shelves and poo poo. You want to get long bolts and make sure the toggles flip out, because the walls are thicker and the wood lathes are tough to navigate around, but it works just fine.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Has anybody gotten the New X-men Omnibus reprint? Is it worth getting? As long as it's comparable to the other omnibus i'll be satisfied, just curious.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JackDarko posted:

Has anybody gotten the New X-men Omnibus reprint? Is it worth getting? As long as it's comparable to the other omnibus i'll be satisfied, just curious.

It doesn't hit comic shops until Wednesday. I will report in then.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Rhyno posted:

It doesn't hit comic shops until Wednesday. I will report in then.

Thank you, since I saw it was available on amazon I was thinking someone might have already gotten it. You're the man.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

JackDarko posted:

I've gotten way too many Omnibuses over the past few weeks and quality-wise, I haven't had a problem with any of them - so I suspect this'll be the same.

They really went above and beyond with Simonson's Thor, though. The recolouring looks absolutely amazing - you can hardly even tell it was made during the early 80s.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Just wanted to let people know I put a poo poo load of trades for sale in the SA-Mart thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dammit, there needs to be an Infinity Gauntlet omnibus.