Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Apologies if it's already been asked, but does ML let you set per-app gestures? Literally the only thing I miss from SL is being able to three-finger swipe down in Reeder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

surrender posted:

Apologies if it's already been asked, but does ML let you set per-app gestures? Literally the only thing I miss from SL is being able to three-finger swipe down in Reeder.

Nope. Use BetterTouchTool.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

zalmoxes posted:

Both DiskUtility and dd come with the OS and do the same thing, or is there some reason to have CCC/SuperDuper?
They can do a lot more than just cloning, like while I use CCC for nightly clones (oh yeah it does scheduling too) I also do incremental backups of some documents and VMs over the network between some machines. They're good for people that are anal about backups and provide more fine grained control vs something like Time Machine. Sure it could be done by yourself writing your own rsync scripts and whatnot, but it's worth it not having to deal with troubleshooting and bug testing that crap.

Feenix posted:

I'm counting the seconds until someone releases a standalone "hack/app" that lets my Ancient Mid-2010 iMac do AirPlay to my ATV2.

Even if it doesn't work perfectly I'd love to try it out. :)
Someone did a few months ago?

There's another one too iirc but I forget the name.

SgtScruffy posted:

Does anyone know if it fixes the sometimes-bug of trying to empty my recycle bin, and it saying the file is in use? I deleted a .mkv file, and when I tried to empty the recycle bin, it said it was in use. I went in the terminal and found that it was was in use by Finder, even though it wasn't.

I guess this was half a "will this be fixed" post and half a "Does anyone know why finder was trying to use the program?" post.
In my experience it's usually due to Finder generating a preview of the file. I just wait a little then try again and that tends to do the trick. Otherwise just remove it from the command line and the space will clear out once the process using it is done.

japtor fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 25, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It sounds like upgrading to Mountain Lion should be trouble-free, I hope nobody at work has an issues. I can see the people in graphic design upgrading first thing tomorrow and then I get called over there.

:j: Bob, I can't get on the network!

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

lol internet. posted:

Since I purchased a Macbook after June 11th, I qualify for the free upgrade. Does anyone know if I'll be getting a USB stick install? Or will it just be a regular app store download?

If it's the 4.3GB download you're worried about, just do it at the Apple Store. Or Starbucks.

If you just want a USB stick install for convenience, multiple PCs, or safekeeping, just pick up a $6 8GB flash drive. It's really easy to make a USB install from the App Store download using Disk Utility, or an even simpler tool like Lion DiskMaker.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 25, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

frumpsnake posted:

If it's the 4.3GB download you're worried about, just do it at the Apple Store. Or Starbucks.

I swear both Starbucks and Barnes & Noble here have 1.5mbs connections, probably T1? At least it seems like it's packet-shaped at Starbucks because if someone is Youtube-ing at B&N you can't even surf the loving web. :(

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Yeah. Starbucks was probably a poor example. Tethering to someone's phone would be faster.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Thanks to the guys who were talking about Carbon Copy Cloner. I just downloaded the trial version to make a bootable backup just in case Mountain Lion breaks compatibility with some of my critical programs. This is pretty slick, so far so good.

e: it's also fast as heck. It takes about 15min for a full backup of my Air.

moon demon fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 25, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

frumpsnake posted:

Yeah. Starbucks was probably a poor example. Tethering to someone's phone would be faster.

Their poor, poor data plan.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
This will be my first not quite major but bigger than minor somewhere in between OS update since getting a Mac. Will the update break my packages installed to areas other than the applications folders? I have a whole bunch of developer tools like additional JREs and stuff installed and I'd prefer to hold off until I'm not so busy to update if I'm going to need to reinstall that stuff.

edit: pedantry

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 25, 2012

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
It's not a major OS update.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Good riddance to Sparrow. I just opened up an email in Mail, and the body of the email had a meeting date and time inside it. I clicked the date, and it asked me if I wanted to add it to iCal. Why haven't I been using Mail?!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Yay, they fixed calendar

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

decypher posted:

Just the AppStore download, but remember that allows you to install it on up to 5(I think) computers if you use the same Apple ID.

Lion's thumb drive was 70 bucks. Only time will tell if they keep that price point or lower it 10-20$.

happily beaten(to death!)

this wasn't actually true last time so it might not be this time, either. The download for the Up to Date program is tied to the specific machine. So while it goes into your App Store purchases, it's not like you bought it straight from the App Store. It can only download onto that one computer. I was eligible for Up to Date last year with my iMac, but it didn't count for any of my other computers so I ended up having to buy Lion anyway. I'm not sure if they're doing the same thing with ML or not, but that's how it worked before, at least.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

decypher posted:

Just the AppStore download, but remember that allows you to install it on up to 5(I think) computers if you use the same Apple ID.

Lion's thumb drive was 70 bucks. Only time will tell if they keep that price point or lower it 10-20$.

happily beaten(to death!)
They're not doing thumb drives for ML.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
If I upgrade to ML and find that something is irrevocably broken, will I be able to return to my Time Machine backup for say, today, where I have Lion installed and everything will be working fine?

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

I'm kind of worried about Notes. I use stickies religiously at work, but I wouldn't want them to appear in iCloud, because of privacy and security considerations. Is there a way to store Notes only in iCloud if you explicitly want them to be there, instead of the opting-out way?

On that note, how does conversion from stickies to notes go?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

geonetix posted:

I'm kind of worried about Notes. I use stickies religiously at work, but I wouldn't want them to appear in iCloud, because of privacy and security considerations. Is there a way to store Notes only in iCloud if you explicitly want them to be there, instead of the opting-out way?

Stickies.app appears to be still be present in the GM build.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The 10th when a dictation doesn't interprocessor to do it. So there is no way to correct it and haven't learn?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

~Coxy posted:

The 10th when a dictation doesn't interprocessor to do it. So there is no way to correct it and haven't learn?

I had to do a quick check to make sure I wasn't having a stroke :stare:

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I had to do a quick check to make sure I wasn't having a stroke :stare:

Same.

Siracusa's review is out: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/os-x-10-8/

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
It's live.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

geonetix posted:

If it works anything like iCloud does currently, you'll probably be able to toggle different apps on and off on a per-machine basis.

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah, it shows up in my Appstore but I can’t download or buy it yet. Something about Error 100, item not available. DDoS'ed I guess.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I got lucky. My download started :dance: Mountain Lion, here I come...in a few hours when my lovely connection downloads it all

App Store lists it as "OS X Mountain Lion GM Seed"

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
I'm downloading it right now. You might want to quit the App Store and try again.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
Also, I'm a little sad that this is the last OS my poor old 2008 Mac Pro will ever get.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Any feedback on Bartender whilst it is in Beta?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I'm doing the Up-to-date program via the UK site but when it asks me to enter the serial the Air is not in the dropdown menu and none of the other options work? Anyone else have this?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Being in Australia, I think I'm just going to go to bed now and deal with the upgrade tomorrow!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

eames posted:

Yeah, it shows up in my Appstore but I can’t download or buy it yet. Something about Error 100, item not available. DDoS'ed I guess.

This as well. I'll keep trying periodically.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

kapalama posted:

Any feedback on Bartender whilst it is in Beta?

I've been using it at work and it's pretty nice. I've not delved too deeply into it though.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Holy poo poo I'm not crazy:

John Siracusa's Ars Technica Review posted:

Finally, Apple has added iOS-style accelerated scrolling to Mountain Lion. The first three swipes on the trackpad scroll as they did in Lion, but on the fourth swipe, the distance traveled within the document greatly increases. This magnified ratio of finger movement to scrolling distance continues as long as the user keeps swiping repeatedly.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
So is there absolutely no way I can run Mountain Lion on a Macbook3,1 ?
2007 MBP
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB

Apple doesn't support it but I was wondering if I could install it anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

zalmoxes posted:

Apple doesn't support it

Since when?

edit:

Apple's site says: MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 25, 2012

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bob Morales posted:

Since when?

Yeah, that seems to be this one which is covered according to the Ars review.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

a bad poster yall posted:

I've been using it at work and it's pretty nice. I've not delved too deeply into it though.

No major "you will be sorry you installed Bartender: moments then?

(Every cloud storage device eats menu bar space, and I can no longer tell what is running on my MBP).

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
Yay! My SSD is coming in the mail tomorrows so it's time for a clean install. I read about a year ago that 10.8 was only going to support 2008 or newer models somewhere and never checked if they updated the minimum requirements.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have heard the Lion update is only 4GB - does that mean you can't make a USB install stick out of it?

I was thinking about downloading it at work since we have a 50mb connection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

zalmoxes posted:

Yay! My SSD is coming in the mail tomorrows so it's time for a clean install. I read about a year ago that 10.8 was only going to support 2008 or newer models somewhere and never checked if they updated the minimum requirements.

You can swap out a 4GB chip for one of your 2GB chips, giving you a total 6GB of RAM in that thing