Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
Just an FYI. We installed mountain lion 8 here at our office and all of our webdav connections to our linux servers took a poo poo. Not sure if they switched to digest authentication or what. Would be nice if apple had some real change logs so I could figure it out.

Looks like webdav is breaking for others as well.

Webdav through transmit works though, its using a different client library, so that will have to do for now. I don't feel like troubleshooting it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Begby posted:

How powerful is your iMac? What resolution are the videos?

Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 720p. I have, in the past, run 1080p perfectly, which is what confuses me - I just can't think of any changes I've made.

Begby posted:

Typically it would get choppy where the image was complex, like someone walking through a jungle with lots of leaves and poo poo.

I get exactly what you describe on my older Macbook, so I don't think it's that.

Begby posted:

Maybe run some pings and see if you are dropping packets, or maybe move your mini right by the PC and try different cables or a different switch or something.

I'll try run some flood pings and see what happens. Edit: ran a thousand and no loss.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Nuntius posted:

Is there really no way to get Notes syncing with my iphone without using a @me.com icloud address? Everything else syncs fine but not notes.

Wait, did they change this when they made the Notes app standalone? I can sync Notes from iPhone to Mail.app using gmail, can I no longer do that?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Built https://github.com/zwaldowski/DZAINotificationCenterPlugin in XCode, works great in Adium. If someone wants it here's a link to the download.

http://gimmah.info/NotificationCenterPlugin.AdiumPlugin.zip

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone else not get their upgrade code yet? I put in a form this morning at 9:30 and I haven't heard back.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Peven Stan posted:

Did anyone else not get their upgrade code yet? I put in a form this morning at 9:30 and I haven't heard back.

I *just* got mine

tngffl
May 6, 2008

Peven Stan posted:

I also have not received mine. Put in the form at about the same time as you.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thinking about it a bit more this seems to be something that goes on regardless of my network connection, since the video I'm currently trying to play (and it's working SOMETIMES) is on my local disc. Another thing I notice is that in Chrome, sometimes when I load a page scroll won't work for some seconds until it's had enough time to think about it - as though my machine is experiencing general slowdowns. However, I've not really noticed anything that could be causing this in activity monitor.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

How can I make this as complicated as possible?

Peven Stan posted:

I submitted mine around then, and I'm still waiting.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

mistermojo posted:

Wait, did they change this when they made the Notes app standalone? I can sync Notes from iPhone to Mail.app using gmail, can I no longer do that?

Nevermind, I've now got Notes syncing with my phone through Gmail. I was just hoping it was giong to work seemlessly with iCloud. I have gmail on my phone through exchange, not IMAP, so I had to add an IMAP gmail account on my phone, disable mail (so I don't get everything twice), enable notes. It's not instant syncing like on iCloud, but it works within about 5 minutes.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Aw. The display icon in the menu bar doesn't let me quickly choose resolutions anymore. Instead is just a shortcut to the preference pane.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Ziploc posted:

Aw. The display icon in the menu bar doesn't let me quickly choose resolutions anymore. Instead is just a shortcut to the preference pane.

We're 'adding' features to the OS (removing options)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Nuntius posted:

We're 'adding' features to the OS (removing options)

Argh. I actually boost my res when recording webex presentations in order to record them in native rez. Can't do that anymore!

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:
I'm seeing this in the System Prefrences:

Does that mean I can mirror my pc to an Apple TV if I buy one of those?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Akujunkan
Dec 28, 2006

the vicious cycle

hannibal posted:

This bugs me as well (in Lion), a few weeks ago I looked around and the Internet consensus seems to be that there isn't a way to make it faster. You can increase the speed of the Mission Control transition (the swipe up) but not the side to side transition. Maybe there's something in ML that has changed but I somehow doubt it.

Gah. That's terrible if that's the case. I hope someone finds a workaround soon.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

eBay/Craigslist are usually wildly varying. I remember at one time there was a general pricing guide that seemed to be accurate, but I don't remember what it was.

Are you thinking of http://www.macprices.net/ ?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Kristneder posted:

I'm seeing this in the System Prefrences:

Does that mean I can mirror my pc to an Apple TV if I buy one of those?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

2011 Macs and newer only.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
He's probably thinking of http://www.mac2sell.net

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Premise overload?

http://patdryburgh.com/blog/preparing-for-john-siracusas-review-of-mountain-lion/

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That is the one. Thanks!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So now that it is out and we don't have a NDA, has anyone figured out how to enable the retina scaling used on MBPr on other computers yet?

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

Peven Stan posted:

Nothing yet here. Put mine in even earlier I think.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

MrBond posted:

2011 Macs and newer only.

This is the most disappointing feature of the new OS. I was pumped to be able to stream football games to my aTV, but apparently my 2010 MBP isn't good enough for them.

Whatever, I bought AirParrot. gently caress Apple for not making that feature available to more of their install base.

Edit: Everything else about Mountain Lion is pretty cool though. Really digging Messages and the Notifications.

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 25, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Viper_3000 posted:

This is the most disappointing feature of the new OS. I was pumped to be able to stream football games to my aTV, but apparently my 2010 MBP isn't good enough for them.

Whatever, I bought AirParrot. gently caress Apple for not making that feature available to more of their install base.

It's because it uses Intel Quicksync in the Sandy bridge architecture to encode the video. Hardware encoding is much more efficient which leads to better frame rates and lower stress on the system. It sucks that they don't allow a software encoding scheme for systems which can't take advantage of it, but luckily there are software solutions available.

Apple holds off features on a lot of things in order to try to entice people to upgrade-- this one was a legitimate reason for holding it off (Based on how airparrot works with my 2011 MBA and how lovely the frame rates are)-- my iPhone 4 literally pushes video more smoothly.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
In Mail.app is there anyway to not show my replies in the conversation feed of a message?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

So now that it is out and we don't have a NDA, has anyone figured out how to enable the retina scaling used on MBPr on other computers yet?

Under the scaled resolutions setting you can enable HiDPI stuff for regular mac laptops but don't be surprised if you can't get anything done on a "retina" 720x540 display.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

HorseDickSandwich posted:

In Mail.app is there anyway to not show my replies in the conversation feed of a message?

Mail » Preferences » Viewing. Under View Conversations, uncheck the Include related messages box

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Peven Stan posted:

Under the scaled resolutions setting you can enable HiDPI stuff for regular mac laptops but don't be surprised if you can't get anything done on a "retina" 720x540 display.

Right, but I want the scaling MBPr use to achieve 1080p and the sort as it is less-blurry than what the regular 1080p looks like.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Mail » Preferences » Viewing. Under View Conversations, uncheck the Include related messages box

Amazing. Thanks!

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
10.7 heathen here: Has anyone seen the Safari 6 update for Lion hit yet? Every time I hit Software Update, it tells me I'm up-to-date.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

unruly posted:

10.7 heathen here: Has anyone seen the Safari 6 update for Lion hit yet? Every time I hit Software Update, it tells me I'm up-to-date.

I got the Safari update this morning, a little before I installed Mountain Lion.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Diabolik900 posted:

I got the Safari update this morning, a little before I installed Mountain Lion.
Yeah, I just ran the command-line `softwareupdate` utility and it picked it up. Thanks, though.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Anybody else having trouble with Airplay not showing in the top menu "Display" bar? I have to actually go into the display pref panel to enable/disable it.

e: Nevermind- rebooting again made it show up.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 25, 2012

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
The Sparrow developers were nice enough to add Notification Center support before Google hosed over their entire user based, but it looks like the drat notifications don't go away on their own once I've read the message. I wonder if there's any chance they'll fix this as a maintenance release or if it's completely dead. I don't want to switch back to Mail.app :(

Google :fuckoff:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
It is as I feared. Still no comprehensive cookie controls. Still random slow-downs and odd behaviors.

Why the gently caress am I forced to pick between Chrome and Firefox for privacy?

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

geonetix posted:

So apparently you can't install command line tools in xcode anymore without on-line authorization, which in my case fails. Even while all the files are already on my disk. Just somewhere else.

Coming back on this, they apparently fixed it now and command line tools are now installable even by us scrubs without prior authorization.

The one thing left now is GPGMail. But knowing the team behind that, it's going to take a while.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
They should go away. Check your notification settings:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I almost bought Sparrow in the app store a while back. Dodged a bullet there.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 25, 2012

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
Installing Mountain Lion on my dual core 2009 Mac Mini and it got down to one second left before going into negatives. There are now -35 minutes left. What do I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

mdtyson posted:

Installing Mountain Lion on my dual core 2009 Mac Mini and it got down to one second left before going into negatives. There are now -35 minutes left. What do I do?

Wait. It did the same thing on my laptop (not quite to -30) and everything worked out fine.