Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are there any cool apps that take advantage of notifications yet? Skype is the only IM I use and doesn't seem to be updated yet.

Is there such a thing as a Spotify controller that can be used in iOS to control Spotify on my MBP?

I've been thinking of buying Keynote. Is it "safe" to buy now or is there gonna be an update soon to coincide with ML?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Wario In Real Life posted:

They should go away. Check your notification settings:

Sorry -- the popup notifications do go away on their own. What I meant was that the notifications in the sidebar list are stuck there even after I've read the message and I have to clear them manually.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

So I'm reading that Mail.app in ML no longer does RSS feeds. Is there a way to transfer my 40+ webcomic feeds (no, seriously) to another RSS reader easily or am I going to have to do this manually and with lots of cursing?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Flobbster posted:

Sorry -- the popup notifications do go away on their own. What I meant was that the notifications in the sidebar list are stuck there even after I've read the message and I have to clear them manually.
Ahh, I get what you're saying.

I guess I never really use the sidebar except for a "what did I miss while I was gone?" at which point I'll manually clear off stuff as I go through it anyway.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Man, I put in the Up-To-Date request at around noon today, and it's nearly 5pm here and I still haven't heard anything. I know some people were saying it would take them an hour to get the email, but I'm about 4 hours in now.

I would use that reference number they gave me after filling in all the information, but I closed the tab accidentally. :sigh:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

IUG posted:

Man, I put in the Up-To-Date request at around noon today, and it's nearly 5pm here and I still haven't heard anything. I know some people were saying it would take them an hour to get the email, but I'm about 4 hours in now.

I would use that reference number they gave me after filling in all the information, but I closed the tab accidentally. :sigh:

Same, I'm about 5hrs in. I submitted it at 9am PST, it's now 2pm. I saved my reference number but I'm not sure that'll help much. If they're telling people who got error codes that they'll have new ones within 24-48hrs, I can only imagine that the automated codes that we'll be getting should take a fraction of the time. Either way, we keep waiting :(

edit for content: is it possible to buy ML for someone else? I thought there was a way to gift apps. I want to get it or my gf so we can iMessage.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

IUG posted:

You're not the only one, and it sounds like we submitted at approximately the same time.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Same, I'm about 5hrs in. I submitted it at 9am PST, it's now 2pm. I saved my reference number but I'm not sure that'll help much. If they're telling people who got error codes that they'll have new ones within 24-48hrs, I can only imagine that the automated codes that we'll be getting should take a fraction of the time. Either way, we keep waiting :(

edit for content: is it possible to buy ML for someone else? I thought there was a way to gift apps. I want to get it or my gf so we can iMessage.
You do realize that an open beta of iMessage has been available for Lion for like 4 months now, right?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Wario In Real Life posted:

You do realize that an open beta of iMessage has been available for Lion for like 4 months now, right?

I'm pretty sure she's on Snow Leopard actually, so that might not work. I'll check it out later tonight. I wanted to get ML so she can just skip Lion entirely.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Ok, so I installed OSX 10.8 on my 2009 mini no problem. Now, not only is it ridiculously slow but it won't even shut down. Might attempt a fresh install but I need a spare USB flash drive as the DVD drive doesn't work.

Still, I'm sure it's great and all, just won't work on my fully upgraded 09 mac mini :smith:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Ok, so I installed OSX 10.8 on my 2009 mini no problem. Now, not only is it ridiculously slow but it won't even shut down. Might attempt a fresh install but I need a spare USB flash drive as the DVD drive doesn't work.

Still, I'm sure it's great and all, just won't work on my fully upgraded 09 mac mini :smith:
Boot to the recovery partition.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Oneiros posted:

So I'm reading that Mail.app in ML no longer does RSS feeds. Is there a way to transfer my 40+ webcomic feeds (no, seriously) to another RSS reader easily or am I going to have to do this manually and with lots of cursing?

This might still work: http://timkeller.me/2009/06/21/rss-exporting-from-mail-app-to-google-reader/

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

With the up-to-date program, what is this "proof of purchase" I have to supposedly take a photo of? The receipt? What if I don't have it? Why are there so many steps to get a free update on a computer that was only available during this period anyway.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tuna posted:

With the up-to-date program, what is this "proof of purchase" I have to supposedly take a photo of? The receipt? What if I don't have it? Why are there so many steps to get a free update on a computer that was only available during this period anyway.

Woah, they made you submit a proof of purchase?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

tuna posted:

Sure you're not seeing "Place of Purchase" as "Proof of Purchase"? I know I read it as that when I first opened the page.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
PSA:

Mountain Lion introduces new Time Machine functionality in the form of multiple backup destinations. You can configure an arbitrary number of destinations and TM will automatically choose the next destination when it backs up.

Adding a backup disk is the same as selecting one for the first time. If you have a single destination, you'll be asked whether you want to replace it or use both.

You can also right-click on a destination icon in the TM pref pane to start a backup to it directly. Removing destinations can be done by right-clicking on a destination icon or from within the Select Disk sheet.

The tmutil tool has been expanded to support the feature, as well. There are enhancements to the 'startbackup' and 'setdestination' verbs, as well as the addition of 'removedestination' and 'destinationinfo' verbs. The man page has details for those interested.

If you find a bug, please report it and include the data gathered by tmdiagnose.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

quote:

Sure you're not seeing "Place of Purchase" as "Proof of Purchase"? I know I read it as that when I first opened the page.

No, I'm on this page:

quote:

Upload your proof of purchase(s)

Please upload a scan or high-quality digital photo of your proof of purchase(s) for each qualifying Mac you would like to upgrade.

Each upload should be in .jpg, .tiff or .png format and less than 1MB in size.

I have nothing to upload here so I can't go any further.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

tuna posted:

No, I'm on this page:

I have nothing to upload here so I can't go any further.

Maybe a screenshot of the credit card transaction details? They'd match the purchase date that Apple has with your serial number.

Or, maybe a picture of the serial number on the box?

Reachin at straws here.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Reachin at straws here.

"Sorry Apple I didn't quite know what to upload here but I hope this helps"

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Has anyone had experiences good or bad with Parallels 7 in Mountain Lion? Roaring apps says it should work, but I've seen other folks that say Parallels either a) doesn't start, or b) the virtual network adapter doesn't work. I'm just running a boot camp Windows 7 partition in Parallels.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

CoasterMaster posted:

Has anyone had experiences good or bad with Parallels 7 in Mountain Lion? Roaring apps says it should work, but I've seen other folks that say Parallels either a) doesn't start, or b) the virtual network adapter doesn't work. I'm just running a boot camp Windows 7 partition in Parallels.

It's been a screwy with resolutions and also with clipping through the window it's running inside. Of the 3 times I've run it so far, I've had problems twice. So, yeah.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro currently running 10.6.8; is Mountain Lion going to be ridiculously slow on it or will it be good to go?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

CoasterMaster posted:

Unrelated, but 6 won't work with ML so I bought 7.

7 didn't support Mountain Lion out of the gate but an update later added Mountain Lion compatibility, so perhaps those people who it wouldn't start for weren't fully up to date. Although, if that's the case it tells you the version isn't compatible.

Anyway, fwiw, my experience with Parallels 7 and Mountain Lion has been nothing but pleasant. It instantly picked up my version 6 Bootcamp VM. The network is working fine as well.

7 has a bunch of updates to graphics capabilities as well, as if 6 wasn't good enough already. It has great performance.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
No problems with Parallels 7 here either. Running the latest 7.0.15104.

Bamabalacha posted:

I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro currently running 10.6.8; is Mountain Lion going to be ridiculously slow on it or will it be good to go?

It'll be fine.

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up

Bamabalacha posted:

Mountain Lion is noticeably faster on my 2007 (3.1) Macbook Pro, compared to Lion. And that's not even on a clean install. Basically, assuming you have 4 gigs of ram, go for it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mdtyson posted:

Installing Mountain Lion on my dual core 2009 Mac Mini and it got down to one second left before going into negatives. There are now -35 minutes left. What do I do?

I looked at the install log and it does that when it's purging the old system (their words, not mine) and miscalculates how long it'll take.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I called up Apple (been about 10 hrs here now), they said to email uptodatesupport@apple if I hadn't gotten my email in 72 hours. :sigh:

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

decypher posted:

7 didn't support Mountain Lion out of the gate but an update later added Mountain Lion compatibility, so perhaps those people who it wouldn't start for weren't fully up to date.

Oooooh, good to know

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

I just got the notification for a firmware update that allows my 2011 air to use power nap. It's now enabled by default in energy saver.

eames
May 9, 2009

The Macbook Air SMC Firmware Update 1.6 for the mid 2011 model just appeared in my Software Update and enables Power Nap. :woop:
I’m really just excited for the overnight TM backups while the computer is closed.

e:fb

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

eames posted:

The Macbook Air SMC Firmware Update 1.6 for the mid 2011 model just appeared in my Software Update and enables Power Nap. :woop:
I’m really just excited for the overnight TM backups while the computer is closed.

e:fb

To conserve power, Time Machine will complete one backup in Power Nap and then wait for the next full system wake before "resetting" to its regular schedule. It won't perform backups all night long for no reason.

The idea here is that you can come home, plug in your MacBook, and not have to open it up and leave it fully awake in order for your day's work to get backed up. Another win scenario is that you can work all day, and not have to remember to run a backup before shutting the lid and walking off.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Does Time Machine not do its animation anymore in the menu bar? It says it's preparing a backup but I haven't seen it do anything yet.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
It does. Mine's doing it right now.

eames
May 9, 2009

Mikey-San posted:

To conserve power, Time Machine will complete one backup in Power Nap and then wait for the next full system wake before "resetting" to its regular schedule. It won't perform backups all night long for no reason.

The idea here is that you can come home, plug in your MacBook, and not have to open it up and leave it fully awake in order for your day's work to get backed up. Another win scenario is that you can work all day, and not have to remember to run a backup before shutting the lid and walking off.

That’s perfect and one of the main reasons why I was looking forward to Mountain Lion, since I never use my MBA long enough to complete a backup via WLAN at home.
My last one was over 150GB, so I simply turned off TM for the last three months because I didn’t care enough to leave the laptop open over night.
(I use SuperDuper every weekend, that was good enough for me)

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
The Time Machine menu item animates less often for automatic backups in Mountain Lion. It should animate when TM is actually copying data to the backup.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oddx posted:

I just got the notification for a firmware update that allows my 2011 air to use power nap. It's now enabled by default in energy saver.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Boot ROM: MBA41.0077.B0F
SMC: 1.73f64
Mine that already had Power Nap enabled got the update as well. I guess Apple unified the SMCs on 1.73f65 for the 2011 Airs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Time Machine is telling me 400gb is gonna take 20,000 days. :what:

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Feenix posted:

This should adjust to something more reasonable, but do feel free to run tmdiagnose and file a report about it.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Feenix posted:

Mikey-San posted:

This should adjust to something more reasonable, but do feel free to run tmdiagnose and file a report about it.

Also, is it encrypting the TM volume? That slows things down a lot until the encryption is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jesus christ having software update happen in the App Store makes perfect sense as to where OS X is going but it still is a :psyduck: thing in my head.