Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Zapdos posted:

^Better behave or Gnu Sheriff in Town and his posse will come "wrestle" with you.

There are already designated to tombs, Kelli and Kaboom were just sitting on the coffins refusing to go and get them. I'll try deconstructing and reconstructing the tombs, maybe that will work.

I know, I was getting a headache just thinking about how I would reorganize things.

If we could be buried by John Charity Springs, that would be nice. Make it a family tomb, since we've given so much blood (and beatings) to this fortress.

And Zaodai! What did I tell you about murdering someone when there are witnesses around? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Zapdos posted:

I didnt! You were probably retrieving a sock or something leftover from the fight with the reptile men.

I thought the caverns were sealed off with hatches?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lord_Ventnor posted:

And Zaodai! What did I tell you about murdering someone when there are witnesses around? :argh:

There were no witnesses, Father. I was imprisoned with no evidence or trial by the Overseer. My only crime is not killing the corruption at its source.

There is still time to rectify that mistake, once I break out of prison. (Or my sentence runs out, but this is one of those corrupt southern prisons where your sentence keeps getting extended so they can make you fight in an underground arena.)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
A dwarf. Siblings killed. Parents killed. Last of his line.

Imprisoned by the State he served. To reach justice and continue the family line, he must surmount impossible odds.

Coming Summer 2013: Saving Private Zaodai

Zapdos
Nov 13, 2010

Vengarr posted:

I thought the caverns were sealed off with hatches?

Either they were left open by OhCrap or there is another entrance I do not know about.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
It would be pretty funny if unhappy dwarves broke dwarves they liked out of jail.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
FREE ZAODAI!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Artificer posted:

"Private"? What's this "Private" poo poo? In the Dwarven Army we've got three ranks: Commander, Captain, and Hamburger. :black101:

Shiv Katall
Feb 11, 2008
Rape knows no boundaries

28th Limestone 238

Man, this place. I just don't know. I have never heard in all of the History of Dwarves having a hard time flooding one of our homes and yet now they have failed twice. TWICE. Maybe they should try to not bring in the water from the outside, I am sure that then the water will come in.

Besides that, because I threw some seeds into the dirt and plants grew from them, they call me a grower. I look at Mzbundifunds broken arm and make the comment wow you can see bone sticking out, I am now called a diagnostician and some dwarf named Qword who calls himself a sturgeon says thanks for my deep evaluating skills so that he can now clean and fix the wounds. Really, the bone was sticking out. You needed to wait for someone to tell you that before you helped him. He smelled like fish guts. He should go back to the fish by the clouds that makes things murky.

OhCrap did a splendid job of killing off many dwarves. That is the mark of a great overseer. Zapdos has also started in a great manner as well. Between the goblins, the things that creep out of the caverns, the great murkiness, and our own inherent suicidal tendencies, this place should not last more than a few more years.
Ugath can not come soon enough for me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zapdos posted:

Well shoot it doesnt look like they do. And a fungiwood shield too...
I need to add another forge or two to make more weapons, obviously.
Bronze armor is queued up but it will take some time to make.

Not sure if you know, but the material of shields makes no difference at all (unless lepermod changed that). All that matter is the quality. Somehow fungiwood shield will be just as good at blocking blows (or dragonfire) as an equivalent quality steel shield. Masterwork wood or leather shields work great. If you have trees the easiest way to get good shields is by skilling up the carpenter.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Aaactually...
You're right with regards to blocking blows, of course, but an item's properties do matter when you're bashing someone with it. Such as may happen with a shield when the dwarf holding it doesn't have a primary weapon in hand.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
In which case, it's used as a blunt weapon (unless I'm mistaken). Which means that an adamantine shield is significantly less useful than an equivalent steel one.

Also worth noting: If you can't get your hands on steel, the difference in weapon materials is much less pronounced for blunt weapons than edged ones. If our fort had been named "Bronzecrushed", we might have done significantly better in those early fights.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
Great update! Poor Male Man :smith: You just know this is going to be the one baby that survives, horrifically mangled though it is.

And poor Ven-Garr and Asehujiko :(

Zaodai posted:

How the gently caress did I get convicted of a murder where nobody saw it happen, and nobody even knew it occurred for a week after the fact?

This is the greatest injustice in all of recorded dwarven history!

Also, pretty sure this is the end of our family line. I can't recall many people survive a prison sentence without either dying of thirst or being slowly taken apart by random hammerings for jobs you can't do because you're chained to a wall.

Sorry family. :saddowns:

Well, crap. I had tried running the fort through Autumn, and of all the things that happened, that wasn't one. RNG! :argh:

But on the plus side, you will, of course, receive Own Fine Cage or Chain. And I guess chickenfrogdwarf gets to Hammer someone other than the Sheriff.

Leperflesh posted:

I told Zapdos that 800-wide is preferred, but 1024-wide is acceptable as a max. This is in line with image rules for the forums in general. Is it really a big problem to have an image that wide? I realize some people browse the forums on little tablets or smart phones or whatever, but that shouldn't be the norm, I'd think?

I was, in fact, kidding, for my part :)

Leperflesh posted:

And yeah, looks like Idles had a shield but no weapon, and managed to kill a troll anyway which is pretty impressive really.

She used to have a weapon!

Leperflesh posted:

You need a built, unoccupied coffin which is marked as useable for burial and which doesn't belong to a specific living dwarf, and/or a graveyard, before dwarves will attempt to recover a corpse.

The coffins for i poo poo trains and Ventnor were built before I'd finished my turn, and had already been 'reserved' for them.

But in my post-play run-throughs I couldn't work it out either. Most probably a de-build will sort it. Surprised at where Ventnor's body was dropped.

StrangeAeon posted:

Looking forward to Zapdos improving some of the fort's layout, too. I wince every time I see OhCrap's dormitories.

Zapdos posted:

I know, I was getting a headache just thinking about how I would reorganize things.

Bad Munki posted:

Those aren't dormitories, those are stalls.

Desired effect accomplished :)

Zapdos posted:

Either they were left open by OhCrap or there is another entrance I do not know about.

It was in my updates, and in my notes on the Wiki. Outside hatch open. Emergency inside hatch locked. :colbert:

OhCrap fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 26, 2012

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Colon V posted:

In which case, it's used as a blunt weapon (unless I'm mistaken). Which means that an adamantine shield is significantly less useful than an equivalent steel one.

Also worth noting: If you can't get your hands on steel, the difference in weapon materials is much less pronounced for blunt weapons than edged ones. If our fort had been named "Bronzecrushed", we might have done significantly better in those early fights.

Yeah, bludgeoning instruments all the way.

I'm honestly not sure whether impact resistance actually has any effect on blunt weapons. It may well be all about density. In that case, copper is actually marginally better than bronze, second only to silver.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 26, 2012

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
200 odd days for murder? What kind of sentence is that?

Mark my words Zaodai, I'll haunt you for a long time to come :argh:

530th on the dwarfing list :(

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 26, 2012

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Colon V posted:

Funnily, all the blunt weapons did horribly in contrast to edged for the most part. It wasn't until Willie Tomg's battle with the troglodytes that a blunt weapon did anything useful.

Troglodytes are nowhere near as robust as Minotaurs.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Colon V posted:

Blunt weapons are kinda screwy though in that it's impossible to kill someone through internal bleeding if you don't jam something into an organ and armor is both impervious to damage and protects way too much. I know that lepermod adds some extra internal body parts to get jammed into other ones, but against iron-armored goblins or very large beasts the militia just would've been massacred.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

i poo poo trains posted:

Blunt weapons are kinda screwy though in that it's impossible to kill someone through internal bleeding if you don't jam something into an organ and armor is both impervious to damage and protects way too much. I know that lepermod adds some extra internal body parts to get jammed into other ones, but against iron-armored goblins or very large beasts the militia just would've been massacred.

Extra body parts?

"i poo poo trains jams the dangly bit at the back of your throat into the oesaphagus, causing minor discomfort!"

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

i poo poo trains posted:

armor is impervious to damage

:ssh: I'm happy to report this isn't strictly the case. If the armor's material has a low enough yield point, hits exceeding it make it give way some (possibly in tune to elasticity) with every strike. You can't actually see it happening at all in the logs, but this is why copper breastplates take exactly one firm spear thrust before folding completely. Body parts track progressive damage too, but the ADHD AI targeting just never hits the same place twice.

It's the fault of the balancing that you rarely see anything but total invulnerability or complete destruction.

OhCrap posted:

Extra body parts?

The sternum is all new and covers the heart 100% of the time, but ribs have also been given a much bigger chance to get in the way of a mace and the vital organs.

Oh, and apparently the increased skull size did something! That was like, four fracturing punches before Asehujiko's brain saw sunlight. I'm very pleased with that.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 26, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Or if it had been "Bronzesliced", we could have lined the front of the fort with Bronze Large Serrated Disks and made some delicious goblin salsa.

Stupid, lazy question: Is there sand on the map?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Asehujiko posted:

200 odd days for murder? What kind of sentence is that?

Mark my words Zaodai, I'll haunt you for a long time to come :argh:

A bullshit one. I have an alibi and everything. At the time I was allegedly punching your skull through your brain, I was building an elborate tomb for my poor slain family members. Family members that wouldn't have died if not for the general neglect and disdain from the racist classist nobility!

And now after that tomb has been completed, do the bodies of Father and Brother get interred there? No. They are left to rot in a cave.

Who is the real soulless, skull punching monster here? Not me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Midsummer, 238

Back home the master planters have the planting business all locked up, I keep getting reassigned to grubby jobs like butcher, dyer, and even cheese maker. I kind of like dyeing the pigtail cloth, it gives me a chance to make things pretty, but stinky old camel cheese I can do without. Last month they even put me on nursing duty, carrying food to sadsacks too lazy to get out of bed and do it themselves. Nobody ever asks me if I'd like breakfast in bed once in a while. With the children grown and dear Unib dead 11 years now, there isn't much keeping there anymore, so I decided to make a fresh start somewhere new.

And here I am! Bronzestabbed, what a place. The entrance is a bit messy, the overseer is shockingly young, and the living quarters are rough to say the least, but I suppose that is to be expected in a new fort. It seems like half the folks here like to keep a journal so I might as well give a try. A new thing for my new start.

PS. Apparently everyone here uses an alias. How fun. A fresh name for my fresh start.

PPS. Good news! They already have a cheese maker, so I'll be able to focus on planting and dyeing!

-----

Autumn, 238

Oh my! My oh my! That poor demented orphan was finally removed from overseership, but only after she got half the military killed. I've never heard of such a scandal.

The new fellow seems steady. Mature. I like him. I have a good feeling about this.

----

I've been drafted! Why me? I admit I do a fine job of ripping pigtails out of the ground if I do say so myself, but that hardly makes me a wrestler.

Well, I'm making it sound worse than it is really. I've been drafted to serve in Fortress Guard, not the militia. "Officer 'Anela' Torridglazed" has a ring to it. Perhaps I'll get a nice uniform. Nothing ostentatious of course, something respectable. Apparently the Fortress Guard here don't use weapons, how novel.

--

MURDER MOST FOUL! Can you believe there has been a murder? Barely a handful of dwarfs, and one of them is a murderer? I would have thought twice about coming here if I'd known this was a place were we're likely to murdered in our beds.

They say he went a little mad after his family died. Well, I can understand that. I was a little lost myself after dear Unib died. But that is NO EXCUSE for murdering anyone. No excuse at all.

I drew the short straw and have to arrest the murder. Hopefully he will come along quietly.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Love this :) Good journal.

quote:

MURDER MOST FOWL!

I knew it! It was the Chicken!

quote:

I drew the short straw and have to arrest the murder. Hopefully he will come along quietly.

I'll be interested to see exactly where Zaodai gets placed..

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Colon V posted:

Or if it had been "Bronzesliced", we could have lined the front of the fort with Bronze Large Serrated Disks and made some delicious goblin salsa.

Stupid, lazy question: Is there sand on the map?

Lots. Oodles. Tons.

skasion posted:

"Private"? What's this "Private" poo poo? In the Dwarven Army we've got three ranks: CommanderPrimary Meatshield, CaptainSecondary Meatshield, and HamburglarDead Meat. :black101:

OhCrap fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 26, 2012

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Page torn from the Journal of JimmyTheD Helmscale, creator of the Mister Mark I (Found wedged in a crack of what is presumed to be JimmyTheD's first bedroom by Dwarven Articlers)

Well, it's begun. I'd heard of this from other historians, but... It's one thing to hear about it, and another to see it. As much as we do not like to admit it, we dwarves have a darkness within us. Our ties to kith and kin are so strong that, in times of great grief, we... snap.

According to the new Overseer, that is exactly what happened with Zaodai. Zaodai was one of our better dwarves, and he now languishes in chains, a victim of his own grief, and the rage that results. Sometimes it results in the Malaise, where the grief-stricken refuses to eat or drink. Sometimes it results in the Terror, where the dwarf attempts to drown their grief in their own blood, or the nearest well, and sometimes... Sometimes it results in rage. Hatred, unbending and bloody.

The victim this time was Asehujiko. A nice woman, who did not deserve what she got. I saw the body as it was carried out (being on hauling duty at the time), and the poor woman's skull had been almost literally crushed. I was shocked when I was informed this was the result of Zaodai's fists alone, but immediately recognised the Rage.

Thus, I have written a missive to the overseer, requesting that I bring this poor, demented dwarf his food and water while he serves his sentence. We do not know if he will survive dwarven justice, but I do not wish him to starve or thirst. After all, the Rage is the curse of our race, not something we control. Although I do not openly say this, Zaodai is as much a victim as Asehujiko.

There. This page will now be removed from my journal, and placed somewhere safe. These are not popular views to have.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Artificer posted:

A dwarf. Siblings killed. Parents killed. Last of his line.

Imprisoned by the State he served. To reach justice and continue the family line, he must surmount impossible odds.

IN A SINISTER BIOME GONE MAD... THE ONLY EMBARK ZONE LEFT... IS ONE DWARF'S HEART

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 26, 2012

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

sebmojo posted:

IN A SINISTER BIOME GONE MAD... THE ONLY EMBARK ZONE LEFT IS ONE DWARF'S HEART

Wow. This should be the thread title of all future DF LPs.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Voyager I posted:

I'm new to DF, but it sounds like you're saying that you can beat someone to death with their own socks.

If this is correct, I know how I'm spending the next two weeks.

Better than that, you can take off your (rope reed fiber thong) and strangle people to death with it. Or rip someone's teeth out of their head then kill them by throwing their own teeth at them. Combat in adventurer mode is basically a plethora of insane and sadistic options.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

What the christ? I've got half a sonata done on everyday life at Bronzestabbed. It's even (partially) in a major key, but at this rate it's going to sound like something out of Wozzeck.

Deaths in the caverns, murder in the dormitory; HOW CAN I WRITE HAPPY, IDYLLIC MUSIC WHEN THIS PLACE IS A CORPSE FACTORY?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Loden Taylor posted:

Deaths in the caverns, murder in the dormitory; HOW CAN I WRITE HAPPY, IDYLLIC MUSIC WHEN THIS PLACE IS A CORPSE FACTORY?

Write it from the perspective of a necromancer. Or Khorne.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Demons are probably having a lot of fun watching this gently caress up fortress.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Loden Taylor posted:

What the christ? I've got half a sonata done on everyday life at Bronzestabbed. It's even (partially) in a major key, but at this rate it's going to sound like something out of Wozzeck.

Sounds happy and idyllic to me! :D

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OhCrap posted:

Sounds happy and idyllic to me! :D

Seriously though, how does a murder occur in a cramped cubby-dormitory and go unnoticed for a week?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Fly Molo posted:

Seriously though, how does a murder occur in a cramped cubby-dormitory and go unnoticed for a week?

Crushing Dwarfpression.

Zapdos
Nov 13, 2010

Fly Molo posted:

I would really like to know.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Zapdos posted:

I would really like to know.

You'll find out soon enough. :unsmigghh:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fly Molo posted:

That does seem strange. Those cubbies have no doors, surely dozens of people walked past before someone noticed the festering corpse.

Then again, she did die in bed. Maybe the wily murderer pulled the blanket over her head, so it just looked like someone was sleeping in the bed until it started to stink? Wait, do dwarfs have blankets?

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
I loved that many dwarfs had the thought of having slept in a wonderful bedroom recently, when I checked. It was intended as a Dwarf slum, inspired by the dwarphanage that I imagine my Dwarf lived in as an orphan baby. Evidently Bronzestabbed was a step up from their former lives :D

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Angela Christine posted:

Wait, do dwarfs have blankets?

No, they just sleep on a giant wooden "bed" carved out of the trunk of a single tree. No blankets, no mattress, no pillows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TildeATH posted:

No, they just sleep on a giant wooden "bed" carved out of the trunk of a single tree. No blankets, no mattress, no pillows.

Joke's on the dwarves: it's actually a canoe.

• Locked thread