Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
They also have a different lock design and I'm pretty sure if you catch them in the breathing animation you can hear it a bit too. Chain's the number one way to recognize them, though. Once you play the game enough, you'll memorize all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Cycloneman posted:

Man, loving mimics. Is there any way to tell without outside knowledge that that first mimic chest in Sen's fortress is a mimic, or that they even exist at that point? I thought that was complete bullshit when it got me.

The first Mimic is awesome. I bombed the poo poo out of the next chests.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
Oh, I haven't had any trouble with them since the first one. But the first one is like complete BS, you're just strolling through Sen's and you see a chest and open it and then you die.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
A small note about mimics and how Dark Souls has some weird little tricks: you can throw Lloyd's Talisman at a mimic and it will stun them. You can open the chest normally while they're hit by it.

It's tricks like that and using dung pie on yourself to get a weaker toxic than the blowdart snipers in Blighttown give you that make this game so neat.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Trynant posted:

It's tricks like that and using dung pie on yourself to get a weaker toxic than the blowdart snipers in Blighttown give you that make this game so neat.

Haha seriously? That is kind of neat.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Loaded this up last night for the first time in about 4 months and beat the Asylum Demon first time. Felt so loving macho.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Trynant posted:

A small note about mimics and how Dark Souls has some weird little tricks: you can throw Lloyd's Talisman at a mimic and it will stun them. You can open the chest normally while they're hit by it.
I saw this on the wikis the other day and I'm really curious to know how someone found this out. The description of the item doesn't hint at it in the slightest, was someone just throwing them at everything and got lucky with a mimic?

It's a cool trick sure, but it's just so random an effect.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Trynant posted:

You can also do that + quit/reload (or go back to bonfire, can't recall) to grind for their rare drop.

Cycloneman posted:

Oh, I haven't had any trouble with them since the first one. But the first one is like complete BS, you're just strolling through Sen's and you see a chest and open it and then you die.

The worst part is that it's after a very long string of safe (well, safe for Dark Souls) areas with a bunch of safe chests. I'm not sure if their intention was to lull you into a false sense of security or make your more paranoid. The funniest part is that both are perfectly normal reactions.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 26, 2012

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW
The best is in the last room of the Archives, where there are 3 or 4 chests, and you're sure one of them has to be a mimic, so the fact that you get 3 safe chests in a row makes you feel self-consciously paranoid.

On that topic: gently caress Channelers, their tridents, and getting the Avelyn. Booo!

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

EC posted:

No offense to you personally, but stop loving saying this. By all accounts the PS3 community IS bigger, but there's still TONS of people playing online on the Xbox. My SL40 Blighttown invader doesn't go more than 3 minutes before invasions. My SL110 build has tons of summons AND invasions in New Londo, the Archives, and the Burg. My SL70-something invader troll in the Catacombs gets invaded constantly.

Again, nothing personal, and I know the PS3 community is bigger, but I'm tired of seeing this bandied about like the truth.

Carry on, then. :)

I couldn't agree more. I joined the forest covenant (just to try it out) and I couldn't go more than a minute without invading some poor sap/some rear end in a top hat with gear way, way higher than he should have. It's been pretty packed full of summon signs, too. Anor Londo, Gargoyles, Queelag, and Gaping Dragon have been extremely easy to summon more than one person, even at 4 AM when I play.

DrGreatJob fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 26, 2012

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Welp, the dark souls pre-order page on Steam just updated.

Turns out the publishers are going to be total cunts about it, so it went from $40 USD to $70 USD overnight for us.

So I either jump through hoops of getting someone to gift it to me from the US just to pay the same price everyone else is on it, or don't buy it.

I really, really want to support FROM... But nope. That's the last loving straw after all the poor-port talk.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
What poor port talk? By all account I've heard, the PC version is actually more stable then the counsel one.

Edit: For anyone who plays DotA2, it looks like they gave Keeper of the Light a :darksouls: reference.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 26, 2012

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Cuchulain posted:

What poor port talk? By all account I've heard, the PC version is actually more stable then the counsel one.

They admitted that they don't really know what they're doing with the PC port and even if you have a thousand dollar leet gaming rig, Blighttown lag is still going to ruin your day.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Ah, that blows. Blighttown really is the worst, and I keep having to go back because I can't get Quelanna to show up.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Radio Paranoia posted:

They admitted that they don't really know what they're doing with the PC port and even if you have a thousand dollar leet gaming rig, Blighttown lag is still going to ruin your day.

Performance-wise, is 360 programming really all that different from PC? I know the PS3 is different because of all the cell processor optimization bullshit, but isn't the 360 basically just a 2004 computer with (presumably) a few fancy game-specific library functions thrown in? I can't imagine that a direct port of the 360 code would run slowly on a modern PC, though I could see the reverse happening easily due to less RAM, slower processor etc.

Granted, the most I've ever programmed on the 360 was the dinkiest little XNA application ever so I really don't know.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Well, the 360 (and the PS3) runs on a PowerPC versus the PCs X86/64 architecture which means they have different instruction sets and need reworking. The 360 is more of a super souped-up Mac from 2004. The graphics on a 360 though are a version of DirectX so that should be a bit easier.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Cuchulain posted:

Ah, that blows. Blighttown really is the worst, and I keep having to go back because I can't get Quelanna to show up.

Do you have to do something specific? I saw here out of pure coincidence sitting by that structure. To bad I don't use pyromancy.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Well, the 360 (and the PS3) runs on a PowerPC versus the PCs X86/64 architecture which means they have different instruction sets and need reworking. The 360 is more of a super souped-up Mac from 2004. The graphics on a 360 though are a version of DirectX so that should be a bit easier.

Yeah, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that they didn't write the whole thing in assembly, so assuming they have the dough to drop on a good compiler I can't imagine that the optimization would be that much different. In general, a program written in a good style will work equally well across architectures. Platform-dependence snafus certainly happen, but they're usually so minor (in terms of code volume) that they should either barely effect performance, or be something that can be rewritten pretty quickly and handily.

I mean, it's not like they should have to design the entire loot database system or something, maybe just rewrite a function or two.

I guess netcode could be tricky if GFWL is too dissimilar to XBL for some reason though, I guess.

ETA: And I know some games do use %asm% blocks for performance reasons, but they're typically a proportionally small amount of code and porting them to another architecture shouldn't be that performance damaging even if it's one foreign to the programmers.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Helios Grime posted:

Do you have to do something specific? I saw here out of pure coincidence sitting by that structure. To bad I don't use pyromancy.

There's some confusion on this, not helped by the normal :darksouls: fuckery on scripted events. On my first playthrough, the chick did not show up at all. I leveled my flame, I went back to Firelink to talk to Laurentius a few times, I beat a boss...I did everything I could think of. Did not show. On the same build, she instantly appeared after I defeated Quelaag in NG+.

In every other build I've played, she's showed up immediately. :iiam: and all that.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Jsor posted:

Apparently the trigger isn't just 30 humanity, it's 30 humanity THEN beat a boss (any boss). At least the wiki sez.

It's already been said but this is wrong. It's 30 humanity. You'll know because it'll tell you you've hit max rank. If you haven't gotten that dialogue box you haven't given enough yet. I've done it on every char.

The nice thing is, once you hit NG+ and higher, you don't have to re-pay! Just rejoin, and even though your covenant level will have dropped, you'll still be able to open the shortcut.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Jsor posted:

Yeah, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that they didn't write the whole thing in assembly, so assuming they have the dough to drop on a good compiler I can't imagine that the optimization would be that much different. In general, a program written in a good style will work equally well across architectures. Platform-dependence snafus certainly happen, but they're usually so minor (in terms of code volume) that they should either barely effect performance, or be something that can be rewritten pretty quickly and handily.

I mean, it's not like they should have to design the entire loot database system or something, maybe just rewrite a function or two.

I guess netcode could be tricky if GFWL is too dissimilar to XBL for some reason though, I guess.

ETA: And I know some games do use %asm% blocks for performance reasons, but they're typically a proportionally small amount of code and porting them to another architecture shouldn't be that performance damaging even if it's one foreign to the programmers.

Yeah, that's true. The thing probably is that From is not really a developer with much PC experience so them being cautious can be expected. Although Ninja Blade was released on the PC, anyone know how it turned out? Or was it ported by someone else?

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
So is the Elite Knight armor any good? Was trying to get the Winged Spear and ended up somehow in the forest.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Jefferoo posted:

So is the Elite Knight armor any good? Was trying to get the Winged Spear and ended up somehow in the forest.

Very good. It looks bad rear end, has great defense especially when upgraded, and decent resists as well. Also, it looks badass.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Jefferoo posted:

That's... quite a detour :stare:

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Should I still get that key from the blacksmith that opens the door in the forest even if I've already defeated Sif? Is there anything else worthwhile there or can I get everywhere by just using the ladder past the hydra?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

NeilPerry posted:

Should I still get that key from the blacksmith that opens the door in the forest even if I've already defeated Sif? Is there anything else worthwhile there or can I get everywhere by just using the ladder past the hydra?

If you're interested in collecting the loot, joining the Forest cov, or grinding the NPCs there for souls, then yes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is there a point to the little mushroom guys who waddle around Darkroot Garden? They haven't been dicks to me, so I haven't killed them but I'm wondering if they're used for something or relevant to the lore or what.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Not really. If you kill them they'll all gang up on you, and their grand-daddies in the pond are bad-asses, but that's about it.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

EC posted:

Not really. If you kill them they'll all gang up on you, and their grand-daddies in the pond are bad-asses, but that's about it.

Even the little ones can wreck your poo poo. But the big guys...yeah, do not try the giant mushroom men. Don't try to block them. Use sorcery or get a hit then run out of their range.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

EC posted:

If you're interested in collecting the loot, joining the Forest cov, or grinding the NPCs there for souls, then yes.

But I can get to the cat just fine through the other route...

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

NeilPerry posted:

It's more for convenience, considering there's a bonfire right by the door you need the key to access, it just makes the general area easier to explore with less risk.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

NeilPerry posted:

I know, but there's a bonfire right there by the main door. If you're gonna be PVPing a lot in the Forest, you'll want that door open. Otherwise it's a looooooong walk back.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
Also you can earn back the 20k souls at that bonfire in about 2 minutes even on NG (provided you aren't in the Forest Covenant yet).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cycloneman posted:

Man, loving mimics. Is there any way to tell without outside knowledge that that first mimic chest in Sen's fortress is a mimic, or that they even exist at that point? I thought that was complete bullshit when it got me.

Yeah. They breathe if you pay attention.

Jefferoo posted:

It kinda sucks IMO. Visually it's good but the regular knight armor gives the same poise at less weight and other similarly weighted sets offer better protection (paladin especially).

raton fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 26, 2012

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
You can earn back those souls even quicker if you are part of the cov.

Also little shrooms, just like their pappys, have a chance to drop gold pine resin.

When I farmed a bit, I felt like Anakin when he murders all of the sand people.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cycloneman posted:

It is absolute bollocks and if they're going to use a model so similar to all the other chests you've been safely opening throughout the game, they should really throw in the first one you'll meet somewhere much closer to a bonfire, so when you inevitably open it without knowing better you won't get set back as much. I'm not personally annoyed at the mimic anymore since it was quite a while ago that I had my first experience with them, but I was certainly pissed off about it that first time.

There are some traps that are fair and you can see coming by paying a reasonable amount of attention, like that hollow with the burning barrel in the Undead Burg, but the mimic is pretty unfair the first time. They may as well make a random pot in New Londo Ruins that has a small crack on its backside facing a wall and if you roll through that pot it will kill you.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It is absolute bollocks and if they're going to use a model so similar to all the other chests you've been safely opening throughout the game, they should really throw in the first one you'll meet somewhere much closer to a bonfire, so when you inevitably open it without knowing better you won't get set back as much. I'm not personally annoyed at the mimic anymore since it was quite a while ago that I had my first experience with them, but I was certainly pissed off about it that first time.

There are some traps that are fair and you can see coming by paying a reasonable amount of attention, like that hollow with the burning barrel in the Undead Burg, but the mimic is pretty unfair the first time. They may as well make a random pot in New Londo Ruins that has a small crack on its backside facing a wall and if you roll through that pot it will kill you.

I'm pretty sure they were expecting that a red sign would be in front of the chest saying "be wary of trap". I opened it regardless...

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
To be fair, if you're online, the playerbase makes up for it. I hit that "liar ahead" so hard. The only time I got chewed opening one was on purpose to see what it's like.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Why you gotta roll pots bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The mimic is in Sen's Fortress there because it's hilarious. I without fail will lead everyone I recommend this game to falling for it, and they always end up laughing about it.

• Locked thread