Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

What is the chance of a werehyena epidemic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Domattee posted:

What is the chance of a werehyena epidemic?

Hopefully, extremely high.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
I'm very slow to heal eh?
This doesn't bode well.
I hope tarox likes the idea of being an orphan.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I have two dwarf dads... Help me understand that before you die.

No wait I figured it out, name shuffling I believe. Seems dad worships Ugath, family time must be a blast.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 26, 2012

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Nooooo! What a way to die... I didn't even take anyone with me!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Ajaxify posted:

Nooooo! What a way to die... I didn't even take anyone with me!

The guy was a novice marksdwarf, too...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bone crossbows make pretty good weapons for the fortress guard. If they see a dangerous thing they will shoot at it, and crossbow material doesn't matter for that. If they are assigned to beat a "criminal" they will use the light bone crossbow as an ineffective hammer, reducing the chance maiming an important dwarf once impossible mandates start rolling in. And since bone crossbows and bone bolts are literally made of garbage, they are one of the least resource intensive weapons.

Crossbow making also isn't a bad skill to dabble in for a dwarf that has no other moodable skills.

Zapdos posted:

In light of recent developments this picture is found to be inaccurate.

Oh my.

I don't know how to make her corpulent and naked in heromachine, so she's just naked. Good thing that's a large coppper dagger so I don't have to try to draw a crotchbeard.

NWS (for people who work at places that hate naked cartoon dwarfs) http://i.imgur.com/PKuBG.png NWS

She's so happy!

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 27, 2012

Shiv Katall
Feb 11, 2008
Rape knows no boundaries
wow

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I hope my dwarf maintains his sanity long enough to serve his time, go get his armor and weapons to take his place back in the malitia, and then unleash all that pent up crazy against the enemies of the fortress (internal or external either one).

Hang in there, dwarf-me!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Angela Christine posted:

She's so happy!

Colon V cancels Read Thread: :psyboom:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
:stare:

Today I have seen something horrifying.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Should probably mark that NWS

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

dug too deep.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I imagine our first prisoner went quietly to his cell, eager to get away from the horrifying apparition before him.

Ohtsam posted:

Should probably mark that NWS

I didn't because she's not actually naked. Hero machine skin tight superhero costumes are just, well, skin tight. But sure, I'll mark it.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 27, 2012

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Angela Christine posted:

Oh my.

I don't know how to make her corpulent and naked in heromachine, so she's just naked. Good thing that's a large coppper dagger so I don't have to try to draw a crotchbeard.

NWS (for people who work at places that hate naked cartoon dwarfs) http://i.imgur.com/PKuBG.png NWS

She's so happy!

It was glorious :D

I have no idea what was going on with those burrows. Some dwarfs were permanently assigned to burrows rather than just the default of 'everyone'? That might explain a couple of things from my turn as well. Good update, Zapdos.

Disappointed that Zaodai didn't get placed where I was hoping. Especially with Nude Whipping Sheriff around. Oh well.

OhCrap fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 27, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That prison needs to be more intimidating. Pump some magma up there and there it into a hell island or something.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

OhCrap posted:

Disappointed that Zaodai didn't get placed where I was hoping. Especially with Nude Whipping Sheriff around. Oh well.

Maybe he's saving that for the real criminals. :smugdog:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I really hope that poor hero doggy gets a tomb as well :ohdear:

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Zaodai posted:

Maybe he's saving that for the real criminals. :smugdog:

Or pigs. Nude Whipping Sheriff Gnu's bio says she likes pigs.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I really hope that poor hero doggy gets a tomb as well :ohdear:

They terk er dergs! :argh:

e:

Zapdos posted:

Araganzar Stabbedcrypts

Ardeem Minedhides

Juc Trussochre

Rurik Runearths

Tarox Gearedsmoothness

Loden Taylor Blazework

Moose King Assaultringed

Pladdicus Conjuredsacks

SilentW Frostygems

Toiwat Rimdiamonds

Vaga42Bond Flareconstruct

These migrants have the best names.

OhCrap fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 27, 2012

Zapdos
Nov 13, 2010
I edited the migrants post, some of them had the original names for their spouses and children.

I also regrouped them next to any family members.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Zapdos posted:

I edited the migrants post, some of them had the original names for their spouses and children.

I also regrouped them next to any family members.

I did a reload but Rurik still shows as married to Vag42bond rather than Juc?

I wonder if SilentW knows

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Are the squads getting time off? If they're not they're not getting any chances to raise their mood up.

It also seems to help if you put some :krad: fixtures in the barracks for them to be around while training.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
They were stood down for a few days before the end of my turn. Funnily, that seemed to do the trick for me (even playing on into Autumn), but some aspects of mood seem entirely random, or otherwise it's just that Zapdos has different priorities. Drafting a bunch of untrained dwarfs would certainly have an effect.

The schedules had been set for 3 training minimum during Train months, and 2 patrolling, 1 training during Mixed (from memory). That gives some down time. The only changes I made was to get rid of a preference for Bad Munki with patrolling, and to add essentially the same schedule to the other 2 squads, and to set the squads to Active/Training. Bad Munki keeps having a thought about being upset about being relieved from duty.

There was no Guard squad in my turn. I guess from Zapdos' screenshots that the initial squad was assigned armour, which could have resulted in nude dwarfs until they found some. I don't know if they have a schedule assigned and active.

Clothing :argh:

e: I guess for Ajaxify it was a mix of being drafted and clothing. I'm really enjoying this though :) Can't wait to see the next Artifact!

OhCrap fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 27, 2012

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

OhCrap posted:

IDLES JOINS FRAY

What did happen to Idles' copper mace, I wonder?

I only forged edged weapons in my turn, and nowhere near enough for the number of militiadorfs we now have.

OhCrap fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 27, 2012

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
How do we feel about somewhat gamey things like wooden spike training rooms?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Flavius Belisarius posted:

How do we feel about somewhat gamey things like wooden spike training rooms?

There are lots of ways to break Dwarf Fortress, and IMO none of them make for good LP material.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Zapdos posted:

Loden Taylor Blazework

My dwarf sounds like professors I've had. Perfect.

27th Sandstone, 238

Yesterday a dwarf went mad and began attacking some poor innocent in the hallway. My dear husband was obliged to put a bolt through his head. The lingering stain of blood and brain matter marks a rather inauspicious start to our new life in Bronzestabbed.

Of course, far more troubling than the slaying is the lack of proper artistic facilities. In the few days I have been here I have yet to see any trace of a concert hall, recital hall, theater, stage, black box, or any other sort of performance or rehearsal space, nor have I heard any mention of plans to construct any.

The situation is completely unacceptable, even for a fortress as young as this one. What sort of "last hope" for our civilization is this place to be if no one here cares to preserve our performing arts?

I am neither drafter nor acoustical engineer, but I am compelled to present the following to the Overseer as soon as possible. Under the circumstances I feel even a poorly designed space is better than none.

I do not know if there are other musicians living here; if not, I will have to shoulder the burden of single-handedly bringing culture to these poor ignorant wretches.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I'm not gonna go for danger rooms. Lepermod doubles the rate at which dwarves gain military skills through training, and danger rooms are super-cheesy (they create legendary combatants within seconds).

I suspect naked dwarves have to do with the changes to military armor which mandated armor only and no clothes, possibly combined with dwarves going off-duty. The way dwarves handle this stuff is really quirky so either they stripped before having armor to claim, or they stripped off armor when going off duty.

Speaking of which, civilians get a bad thought from being drafted, and then get it again every time they come off an "off duty" period and go back on duty, because for some goddamn stupid reason Toady treats going on and off duty as being equivalent to being drafted/released.

Conversely, skilled military dwarves get a bad thought from being released from duty, which causes the same problem (but in reverse).

And of course, all dwarves get bad thoughts from being on duty for a long time, so you have to give them breaks. Basically Toady built a system that guaranteed bad thoughts no matter how you manage your military. I suppose that could be thought of as realistic, but the result is that unless they are constantly bombarded with good thoughts from other sources, your military is quite likely to be unhappy. And as we saw with Zaodai, that's bad, because then any tragedy or major bad thought in their life is going to push them over into melancholy/berzerk/murderous tantrum/etc., and of course they're armed and skilled military dwarves so that can be very deadly indeed for bystanders. Or for them, if a bystander shoots them through the head, which they will do if they get the chance.

So, Ajaxify was probably already unhappy from being drafted and/or going on break/going back on duty, got extra super-bad thoughts from being naked, and consequently went apeshit, whereupon Pladdicus shot him.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I always end up being your posterchild for mental illness, Leperflesh.

Funny how that works out. :v:

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Leperflesh posted:

I suspect naked dwarves have to do with the changes to military armor which mandated armor only and no clothes, possibly combined with dwarves going off-duty. The way dwarves handle this stuff is really quirky so either they stripped before having armor to claim, or they stripped off armor when going off duty.

The armour build I made at the end of my turn is set to include both clothing and armour, and to replace anything they have on. Unfortunately this means they strip nekkid before claiming new clothes and armour.

quote:

So, Ajaxify was probably already unhappy from being drafted and/or going on break/going back on duty, got extra super-bad thoughts from being naked, and consequently went apeshit, whereupon Pladdicus shot him.

After speaking with overthefalls and finding out her family's tragic history (very few died of old age), you'd have to assume she just goes "Meh" now. She's probably puzzled by all these dwarfs making such a fuss about pissy little things like clothing.

I mean, just consider her immediate family. I haven't included all the aunts, parents, and cousins killed and maimed by all manner of beasts. Plus one goblin murderer. But yeah. Pussies!

e: Oh, uh .. hey, man...

OhCrap fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 27, 2012

Zapdos
Nov 13, 2010

OhCrap posted:

I did a reload but Rurik still shows as married to Vag42bond rather than Juc?

I wonder if SilentW knows

Damnit I thought I got all of them. I skipped some names on accident so the order got a little messed up. I'll fix it before the next update.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna go for danger rooms. Lepermod doubles the rate at which dwarves gain military skills through training, and danger rooms are super-cheesy (they create legendary combatants within seconds).

Speaking of which, civilians get a bad thought from being drafted, and then get it again every time they come off an "off duty" period and go back on duty, because for some goddamn stupid reason Toady treats going on and off duty as being equivalent to being drafted/released.

Conversely, skilled military dwarves get a bad thought from being released from duty, which causes the same problem (but in reverse).

And of course, all dwarves get bad thoughts from being on duty for a long time, so you have to give them breaks. Basically Toady built a system that guaranteed bad thoughts no matter how you manage your military. I suppose that could be thought of as realistic, but the result is that unless they are constantly bombarded with good thoughts from other sources, your military is quite likely to be unhappy. And as we saw with Zaodai, that's bad, because then any tragedy or major bad thought in their life is going to push them over into melancholy/berzerk/murderous tantrum/etc., and of course they're armed and skilled military dwarves so that can be very deadly indeed for bystanders. Or for them, if a bystander shoots them through the head, which they will do if they get the chance.

I have the schedule set up so that there are 7 on duty for each squad. I might have to reduce that as well as give them a better barracks. They're all stuffed into that tiny room atm.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
I can't think of a time when I've had more fun in adventurer mode. There was another site near Bronzestabbed where I stumbled in the middle of a kobold civil war. I did some cleanup, proceeded on to peaceful old Kilrudzat, and had a nice time talking to all the dwarfs.

Went down to the cavern and paid respects to the bodies of i poo poo trains, Ventnor, neongrey, and Mlle. Then stumbled on a tableau of troglodytes, Internet Kraken, and other critters beating the living crap out of Bronzestabbed dwarfs. Internet Kraken was stopped by a heroic toad. Wandered back up to the surface, had a snooze, and promptly got the hell kicked out of me by a harpy that had been ... changed.

I can't help but think what an awesome site Leperfish has picked :D

Zapdos posted:

Damnit I thought I got all of them. I skipped some names on accident so the order got a little messed up. I'll fix it before the next update.

No worries at all. It can be hard to keep track, especially when other things are going on at the same time. I found it helpful to name them all as they came in, so I could then screenshot them all while they were still inbound.. which is fine for a smaller wave, but harder for bigger ones. Also quickly viewing their bio and making a note of who is married or child of another dwarf saves some time later.

quote:

I have the schedule set up so that there are 7 on duty for each squad. I might have to reduce that as well as give them a better barracks. They're all stuffed into that tiny room atm.

Don't make them too happy! :) Being drafted is a big factor, which I tried to avoid by drafting only skilled fighters, but unfortunately you didn't get a great wave of migrants for combat skills. The clothing deterioration is a major bitch, and I also wish now that I'd warned of the clothes discarding thing. They discard their clothes and progressively put on new armour and clothing. If that's the only factor, it's generally okay, but it wasn't in your case :(

But whatever! It's making things fun! :D

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Zapdos posted:

Rurik Runearths

Juc Trussochre

Tarox Gearedsmoothness

Oh boy, my first dwarfme ever at last, and such a cool name too! :woop: Rurik Runearths! :black101: ...Though I understood just now that it's not exactly Rune-earths. A shame, that would be much cooler. Ah well, Runearths it is? Is 'arth' a word?

And I have a family too! But I couldn't but notice that my wife and son are both obese. And myself? I had to google what corpulent means. A family of fatsos, eh? No matter anyway - the only thing I'm worried about is that I'm really slow to heal. Fortunately I'm a marksdwarf.

I've seen legendary soldiers being incredibly strong and all that. Does the healing rate also improve as I get more kills? e: wait, I'm a surgeon! So it's possible I won't even witness combat. But that's fine too!

And Zapdos, no need to retcon that thing about Vag42bond (though it's ok if you did already!) I think it could add... flavor. Especially seeing how he's average in size and not obese at all. And while I'm pretty young 61-years-old, he's only 22. Yeah, this can be very Greco-Roman indeed!

Rurik fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 27, 2012

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

TildeATH posted:

The guy was a novice marksdwarf, too...

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 27, 2012

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

23rd Sandstone, 238

We have finally arrived at Bronzestabbed, though it's not immediately obvious. The settlement is easy to miss unless one is purposefully searching for it. Several of my travelling companions have expressed displeasure about this state of affairs – saying things such as "a muddy hole in the ground" and "an Ugath-forsaken pit for goblins we came away from, not for dwarves" – and I must admit the aesthetics of the place are indeed inadequate for an eye accustomed to our proud mountain halls. No matter. The settlement is indeed young and what it lacks is only a promise of what we have the honor to achieve.

My beloved wife and son have overcome the difficulties of our journey extremely well. A little too well in fact, for they are both still obese. And such are the cookings of my occasionally overindulgent Juc that I, too, feel somewhat corpulent. I do not voice this hope, but perhaps this new fortress is short on food or at least luxurious meals and we all get assigned to duties that match our skills the best, so that Juc would operate pumps and I'd perform surgery and meals would be cooked by a stoic dwarf from plump helmets or some kind of vegetation. After all, a healthy mind in a slim body (or, like those heathens who don't acknowledge Ugath say, in a healthy body).

However I do recognize that the displeasure our family's corporeal condition causes to my eye is my problem alone, and I am grateful for our great fortune of arriving here without injury or misfortune of any other kind. And by this I mean not only our family but everyone in this travelling group, including Vaga42Bond. He is so young and I feel like his linguistic ability is insufficient for conveying his emotions. As I've watched him I've also come under the impression that his social skills are lacking. I have decided he needs someone to protect him and guide him in our early years in Bronzestabbed and that I'd be the best for fulfilling that role. After all, I'm three times older than he is and he reminds me of myself when I was young. I am a surgeon and he is a weaver, and surgery and weaving are fundamentally the same.

Of course it is possible that depending on this fortress' needs I might be assigned as a marksdwarf since I am skilled in that art as well. It is no matter however. Surgery or marksdwarfship – both are valid ways of worshipping Ugath, if different.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Juc66 posted:

I've seen it happen a couple times, but it was a very very slow death.

Which would make it… a horribly slow murder with an extremely inefficient weapon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDvgL58h_Y

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Rurik posted:

Ah well, Runearths it is? Is 'arth' a word?
You could go Northern British and say it's a dropped h.

"Me name's Rurik Rune 'arths. I fix up t'miners oo get 'urt downt'pit."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That should work, though I feel I should point out that it's spelled 'hearth'.

I'll keep calling him 'Rurik Rune-Earths', though. Because that's drat awesome. :iamafag:

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Zapdos posted:

Toiwat Rimdiamonds

This dwarf seems like a complete opposite of me. Also "The Creation of Slaughter" was an awesome name.

Oh god look at those skills - I'm not gonna last long am I :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Colon V posted:

That should work, though I feel I should point out that it's spelled 'hearth'.

I'll keep calling him 'Rurik Rune-Earths', though. Because that's drat awesome. :iamafag:
Thanks, that's cool. :D I think I might stick to Rune-Earths myself (and claim that an 'e' was lost somewhere), because it's cooler, actually means something and is appropriate for the setting (dwarves).

And ugh, I just noticed that in my journal entry I wrote that surgery and weaving are the same. But I confused surgery and stitching. :facepalm: That's what you get when you're writing journal entries after just waking up and all groggy. Oh well, it just serves to show that despite all his fancy words my dwarf ain't so smart (or perhaps even balanced) as he likes to portray himself.

Toiwat posted:

This dwarf seems like a complete opposite of me.
It might be confirmation bias speaking, but I feel like lots of my dwarf's traits apply to me. I recognize these for example: has a great feel for social relations, great analytical abilities, poor focus, doesn't need thrills and risks in life, has good awareness of own emotions, is resistant to change, is sincere in dealings with others. However I'm not slot to trust others, quite the opposite actually.

And my eyes are blue, but not cobalt.

• Locked thread