Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

OldMemes posted:

Compared to NCR, the Legion, or the near collapse of Vegas's social structure in an Independant ending, House is a pretty decent choice.

Remove "NCR" from that list and you might have a true statement :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Penis Ouija posted:

Started a 9 STR/9 END/9 LCK/Unarmed run, and holy jesus punching everything to death is so viscerally satisfying. Now I'm regretting not changing up my skills more thoroughly on previous reruns.

That Vault... 3? place with all the Fiends outside was kicking my rear end for about thirty minutes until I realised how many drugs I had in my pocket. I promptly took them all and Turboed around in a buffed-out blur, making people explode into giblets with my brass knuckles.

TLDR

Niggard of Oz
Jan 24, 2011

It's a NIGGER joke,
You Faggot's!
And Ropekid, if you ever get to work on another Fallout game again, you have to put a record company or a copyright law firm in the game and have the terminals reveal that the reason there is no new music in the games is due to the fallout universe having spawned it's own version of the RIAA, which fearing for loss of capital due to easily copied and nearly indestructible Halotapes, launched a massive misinformation campaign followed by a series of aggressive lawsuits establishing that new music would only be recorded and sold on Fallout's RIAA approved Halotapes, which were intentionally designed to wear out. So 200 years later the world is stuck with nothing but old records.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I wonder where Caesar found enough football equipment for an entire army.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I wonder where Caesar found enough football equipment for an entire army.

Something, something, Penn State.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

Wolfsheim posted:

So completely would've owned.

I think the idea is that you're taking a lot of what will happen on faith, but House is the one that you require the least "faith" in.

In order for a Legion victory to bear fruit, they have to transform their brainwashed hordes into a standing, peaceful army that gets away from what many of the grunts consider the Legion's ideals. This boils down to an old man with cancer living long enough to set it in motion, and somehow making it such a great society that it doesn't just still fall apart when he dies in a few years.

In order for the NCR to stop stretching themselves too thin, wasting resources on expansionism and slowly dying because of it, they'd have to get new leadership more akin to that old ranger and less inefficient power-hungry bureaucrats. Without the courier sticking around to literally fix everything all the time, this seems even less likely than Caesar's goals, especially when all the incompetent assholes like Kimball will be riding high on their Hoover Dam victory.

In order for House's plans to succeed, he has to...stay the course and do exactly what he's been doing, pretty much. The idea that he's going to become some corrupt fascist is not evidenced by anything in the game, he's seemed pretty content to be a creepy recluse who steers humanity's future towards a greater good.

The only questionable bit is that he still allows what is basically sexual slavery to go on at Gomorrah, but (1)he seems disgusted by the Omertas and seems ready to eliminate them the moment he gets his securitron army in place, (2)the NCR seems to condone it as well, and (3)the Legion is pro-regular slavery. Basically he's not a perfect choice, but better than everyone else.

I refer back to my earlier rant post on House for why he is a far less solid choice than he appears. One man distantly ruling over Vegas while developing new tech for mankind can only end badly if he ever dies, which wouldn't be terribly hard so long as someone could just get into the Lucky 38, or if there was some random error with his life-support system. 20-30 years down the line under a House leadership the Strip would be so dependent on him for protection and using all this fancy tech nobody else fully understands that things would fall apart if he suddenly died. It's similar to the Legion's long-term survivability in terms of leadership really, except that House is almost certain to have more time left than Caesar, but arguably his goals of scientific advancement and space travel are even more difficult to achieve than turning the Legion from a conquering horde into a stable empire.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Davos posted:

I refer back to my earlier rant post on House for why he is a far less solid choice than he appears. One man distantly ruling over Vegas while developing new tech for mankind can only end badly if he ever dies, which wouldn't be terribly hard so long as someone could just get into the Lucky 38, or if there was some random error with his life-support system. 20-30 years down the line under a House leadership the Strip would be so dependent on him for protection and using all this fancy tech nobody else fully understands that things would fall apart if he suddenly died. It's similar to the Legion's long-term survivability in terms of leadership really, except that House is almost certain to have more time left than Caesar, but arguably his goals of scientific advancement and space travel are even more difficult to achieve than turning the Legion from a conquering horde into a stable empire.

Counterpoint: House mentions briefly that, after all the hubbub is over with Hoover Dam, he will freely share his life-extending technologies with you, the Courier. So if House dies, guess who assumes control as the new immortal ruler of Vegas, presumably after years of being prepped as his protege (it is, after all, the only ending where the Courier sticks around)?

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

Wolfsheim posted:

Counterpoint: House mentions briefly that, after all the hubbub is over with Hoover Dam, he will freely share his life-extending technologies with you, the Courier. So if House dies, guess who assumes control as the new immortal ruler of Vegas, presumably after years of being prepped as his protege (it is, after all, the only ending where the Courier sticks around)?

Same end result there then as in the Yes Man endings, except you're living through a machine and essentially detached from humanity in the same way House is.

I don't think anybody will argue though that, for the Courier, House and Independent endings are easily the best for you. Living a life of luxury under House and acting as his lieutenant, or ruling New Vegas yourself and still probably living a life of luxury. Meanwhile the NCR and Legion both seem to kinda just go "Alright well thanks for the help Courier. Here's some money. I guess you can stay, if you want, just don't get in the way any more."

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Davos posted:

One man distantly ruling over Vegas while developing new tech for mankind can only end badly if he ever dies, which wouldn't be terribly hard so long as someone could just get into the Lucky 38, or if there was some random error with his life-support system. 20-30 years down the line under a House leadership the Strip would be so dependent on him for protection and using all this fancy tech nobody else fully understands that things would fall apart if he suddenly died.

First point, people have been trying to break into the 38 since the bombs dropped. No one has ever succeed. One of the reasons that Yes Man, Ceaser and the NCR all want you on their side is that you are the only person in the Mojave with any chance of killing House, because you're the only person he lets through his security.

Second point, House's life support has been working for centuries, it's not going to crap out any time soon.

Third point, why do you assume that House would be the only person who understands how to use the tech he develops? He's fully aware that he can't do everything himeself, that's why he hires you in the first place. You can't build what he's dreaming of without a support structure and you can't have a support structure without trained workers. He'll need scientists and engineers to build his space program and that means an educational system. A good one. Even if he somehow died thirty years down the line there would be plenty of people capable of using technology around.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
True enough, true enough. I suppose I'm just trying to find flaws in House's ending since, other than the whole dictatorship thing, his ending seems like it's so obviously the objective best for the people of the Mojave, and I dislike that.

I still assert that he's building himself to be a god-like figure in the eyes of the people of Vegas, whether it's deliberately done or not. And he's an arrogant rear end much of the time.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Davos posted:

Same end result there then as in the Yes Man endings, except you're living through a machine and essentially detached from humanity in the same way House is.

I don't think anybody will argue though that, for the Courier, House and Independent endings are easily the best for you. Living a life of luxury under House and acting as his lieutenant, or ruling New Vegas yourself and still probably living a life of luxury. Meanwhile the NCR and Legion both seem to kinda just go "Alright well thanks for the help Courier. Here's some money. I guess you can stay, if you want, just don't get in the way any more."

Well, the House and Yes Man endings don't necessarily destroy the NCR or the Legion, they just have a new buffer state between them.

In the case of the NCR it might actually help them out. Since it would stop some of the big complaints against them, their forced expansion and corrupt government. The loss at Hoover Dam could lead to some reformists getting elected, hopefully cutting down on the corruption, and a possible reform of the military, similar to the U.S. military after Vietnam.

The Legion would probably be a bit worse off, since it is more a marauding army than an actual state. So Caesar could try to change things up and try to just found a New Rome, or he could try to keep the soldiers happy by turning them North, South, or East for more pillaging and raping.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I may be biased since I favor the NCR but the complaint that they are corrupt expansionists could be equally applied to House. Expansion is part of his grand plan and his notion that he is infallible denotes a corruption at the core of his being. He's not a bad guy but his actions speak pretty loudly despite his words. While he has brought some stability to Vegas, he's put corrupt, horrifying tribes in charge of operations while Vegas itself is very much split into a hill of haves and a ghetto of have-nots. He's also rebuilt Vegas, a corrupt city known for eating up, chewing up, and spitting people back out.

The NCR is definitely no picnic but most of the decent human beings in the game comes from the NCR, whether they work for the government, they're traders, they're idealists, or they're former Enclavers.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 27, 2012

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
Seeing as bethesda are going to be busy with the elder scrolls mmo any chance they'll give Obsidian the creation engine and ask them to do Fallout 4?
Even if it didn't get an 85% on metacritic, New vegas must have made piles of loot.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

Seeing as bethesda are going to be busy with the elder scrolls mmo any chance they'll give Obsidian the creation engine and ask them to do Fallout 4?
Even if it didn't get an 85% on metacritic, New vegas must have made piles of loot.

Sadly, a completely separate team is making the MMO.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis
I straight up will probably never buy another Bethesda game ever again. I pray they let Obsidian do Fallout. Just throw some money at them and let them do whatever they want.

Wasse
Jan 16, 2010

bloodychill posted:

I may be biased since I favor the NCR but the complaint that they are corrupt expansionists could be equally applied to House. Expansion is part of his grand plan and his notion that he is infallible denotes a corruption at the core of his being. He's not a bad guy but his actions speak pretty loudly despite his words. While he has brought some stability to Vegas, he's put corrupt, horrifying tribes in charge of operations while Vegas itself is very much split into a hill of haves and a ghetto of have-nots. He's also rebuilt Vegas, a corrupt city known for eating up, chewing up, and spitting people back out.

The NCR is definitely no picnic but most of the decent human beings in the game comes from the NCR, whether they work for the government, they're traders, they're idealists, or they're former Enclavers.

agree, i've never understood the dislike towards the NCR. To me they seem like the guys trying to help rebuild civilization. My tendency in every game I play through has been to gravitate towards them.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
They do a lot of things that, while understandable in the context of human fear and ignorance, are very very bad, namely slaughtering civilians at Bitter Springs and trying to disperse Jacobstown.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Wasse posted:

agree, i've never understood the dislike towards the NCR. To me they seem like the guys trying to help rebuild civilization. My tendency in every game I play through has been to gravitate towards them.

I gravitate toward them for gameplay reasons, mainly because you are cut off from certain quests/items if you mess with them. The Legion on the other hand only cuts you off from the Lucky Shades which you can still get without pissing anyone off.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey so... I'm pretty much out of luck in becoming a (veteran) Desert Ranger, right? WIll they ever give me that gear? I don't want to kill one for it, because... well, this is an NCR run, that would be bad.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey so... I'm pretty much out of luck in becoming a (veteran) Desert Ranger, right? WIll they ever give me that gear? I don't want to kill one for it, because... well, this is an NCR run, that would be bad.

IIRC the NCR safehouse has a suit and you can also find one or two on dead rangers. Failing that the Honest Hearts DLC has a desert-themed variation of it.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Really the main reason to get chummy with the NCR is so you can buy stuff from their quartermaster at Hoover Dam. Nobody else matches him for the sheer volume of ammo he sells.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

IIRC the NCR safehouse has a suit and you can also find one or two on dead rangers. Failing that the Honest Hearts DLC has a desert-themed variation of it.
And LR has the riot gear that the armor was based off of in the first place, plus variants.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I think that House's dialogue if you remove him from his tube shows his real character. There's none of the smooth businessman, just a man utterly defeated.

He sounds so heartbroken if you tell him that you're working with Ceasar.He also says that even if you didn't like him, he could have given you anything you wanted, and you could have worked together for the greater good. :smith:

And he's classed as a "good" character, karma wise.

I hope Ropekid works on the next Fallout game - it's nice to see someone who has such a good understanding and respect for the franchise and setting.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 27, 2012

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

OldMemes posted:

I think that House's dialogue if you remove him from his tube shows his real character. There's none of the smooth businessman, just a man utterly defeated.

He sounds so heartbroken if you tell him that you're working with Ceasar.He also says that even if you didn't like him, he could have given you anything you wanted, and you could have worked together for the greater good. :smith:

And he's classed as a "good" character, karma wise.

I hope Ropekid works on the next Fallout game - it's nice to see someone who has such a good understanding and respect for the franchise and setting.

He is "good" because he was the proverbial god of the Fallout Universe. Without him, the Vault Dweller, the Lone Wander and the Chosen One and most certainly not the Courier will be able to survive the wasteland. He brought upon a cornucopia of inventions which gave you the ability to survive the wasteland. That little device on your hand allowed you to save or drat humanity.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 27, 2012

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

This is what I've been hoping for since Skyrim came out. Sadly it probably won't happen but maybe there's hope for Fallout 4.5 :unsmith:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Heti posted:

This is what I've been hoping for since Skyrim came out. Sadly it probably won't happen but maybe there's hope for Fallout 4.5 :unsmith:

There's no probably about it, it WON'T happen. Bethesda bought the Fallout IP for a reason, they're going to make the next game. One of their other studios is doing the MMO. I would be surprised if Todd Howard's team hasn't already started development on Fallout 4.

I'm not crying like the rest of you over the thought of another Bethesda developed Fallout. Their games have gotten consistently more fun to play, and I like the direction their company has taken with regards to things like DLC, and patches. To me it seems like they keep learning from their mistakes as they keep making games and that bodes well for the future.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

Am I wrong in thinking this is true? Been awhile since I finished the game let alone a yes man ending. I seem to remember the Courier basically just nodding his head and that ending and wandering off his job done there. Not pulling up a chair and crowning himself the new king.

Also for the sake of discussion I've never been able to finish with House. Everything he says is so clearly paper thin. As others said he only really cares about himself, and maybe a few of whatever cronies HE deems worthy to tag along.

Personally I always preferred the Yes Man ending because it seemed like the one that would benefit the Followers of the Apocalypse the most. They were the ones I always imagine my character to really be working for.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

HappyHelmet posted:

Am I wrong in thinking this is true? Been awhile since I finished the game let alone a yes man ending. I seem to remember the Courier basically just nodding his head and that ending and wandering off his job done there. Not pulling up a chair and crowning himself the new king.

I'm pretty sure it leaves that ambiguous.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Epi Lepi posted:

There's no probably about it, it WON'T happen. Bethesda bought the Fallout IP for a reason, they're going to make the next game. One of their other studios is doing the MMO. I would be surprised if Todd Howard's team hasn't already started development on Fallout 4.

I'm not crying like the rest of you over the thought of another Bethesda developed Fallout. Their games have gotten consistently more fun to play, and I like the direction their company has taken with regards to things like DLC, and patches. To me it seems like they keep learning from their mistakes as they keep making games and that bodes well for the future.

Too bad their writing is still completely terrible. Everything else has gotten a lot better though, you're right.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Heti posted:

Too bad their writing is still completely terrible. Everything else has gotten a lot better though, you're right.

It's good enough for sandbox games. If they were trying to put out RPGs like other developers do where the whole point of the game is the EPIC STORY I'd be harder on it, but since the writing isn't as much of a draw to me as the setting and atmosphere I can let some goofy-rear end writing slide. Not saying they shouldn't improve though, and I think they've occasionally had some brilliant side plots in their games, but besides Morrowind their main plots lack. I never did do the main quests in Oblivion or Skyrim, I always get sidetracked with guilds and side quests.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
The thing about Bethesda is that it seems like they're really great at creating an interesting world with events going on that are worth experiencing, but are really bad at giving you stuff to do in that world that's as interesting. This was especially the case with Skyrim, to me. Just look at the civil war: it's pretty much the main big event of the game's backstory (other than the war with the Thalmor on a larger scale), everyone talks about it constantly, there's tons of depth between character in their thoughts on the war, how it started, who's really on the right side, etc. Yet when you try and actually take part in it? 2 or 3 fetch quests per side, then go kill some guys with like 5 braindead soldiers on their your side, and then bam you've won the civil war on your own. No political intright, no great battles, just fetch quests and some fighting.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Davos posted:

The thing about Bethesda is that it seems like they're really great at creating an interesting world with events going on that are worth experiencing, but are really bad at giving you stuff to do in that world that's as interesting. This was especially the case with Skyrim, to me. Just look at the civil war: it's pretty much the main big event of the game's backstory (other than the war with the Thalmor on a larger scale), everyone talks about it constantly, there's tons of depth between character in their thoughts on the war, how it started, who's really on the right side, etc. Yet when you try and actually take part in it? 2 or 3 fetch quests per side, then go kill some guys with like 5 braindead soldiers on their your side, and then bam you've won the civil war on your own. No political intright, no great battles, just fetch quests and some fighting.

Isn't that what all wars are really? A few fetch quests then some fighting. Heck, we failed the fetch quest to find proof of WMDs, so we made a bluff check and skipped to the fighting!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Bethesd'a strong point is definitely world-building. The main storylines of Fallout 3 and Skyrim are snorefests, but the worlds of those games reward incidental exploration better than anything else I've played (other than maybe the Baldur's Gate games.)

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
I always found it weird how the in-game books in ES games are so well written and have such interesting stories compared to the plot in the actual games.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Davos posted:

I always found it weird how the in-game books in ES games are so well written and have such interesting stories compared to the plot in the actual games.
Writing compelling dialogue requires a different skill set than writing compelling exposition.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Just wanted to chime in because I finally bought the DLCs through the Steam summer sale. Old World Blues was amazing. I love how Obsidian managed to create a "parallel" world to Mojave. It's almost as lengthy as an extension of its own, I loved it. I wish I could go back and pay the full price now that I know I liked it.

I love how the robots were written, even if maybe sometimes the dialogues dragged on for too long. You get a huge info dump when you first meet the Think Tank (loving the pun by the way) and then not much. I feel it wasn't really clearly communicated to me that leaving my brain with Dr Mobius meant while going back to the Think Tank meant I would have to give up on it, but that's fine. I also loved how you get a real sense of closure at the end, as you know exactly what happens as a result of your actions. I couldn't help but imagine the Obsidian guys with a :smug: face and saying "See BioWare, it's not that hard."

The Lonesome Road was amazing for immersion, but I felt that Ulysses didn't make much sense. Too mystic for me maybe. Yet I remember my girlfriend calling me at 1am when I thought it was still 11pm. When time flies like this, you know you've got a good game. Also very good game design to remove ED-E around the end. Since the map is full of enemies in a complex environment, when you lose his ability you really get a sense of danger that you wouldn't have felt if you never had the ability in the first place. :golfclap:

I loving love Obsidian and they make the best games, I don't care what everybody says. What bugs? gently caress your bugs, I'll have bugs any day if that means I get to play a proper RPG.

rope kid posted:

Writing compelling dialogue requires a different skill set than writing compelling exposition.

This is why somebody at EA needs to come to their senses and have you guys involved in DA3 somehow. And thanks in advance for Wastelands 2.

Furism fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 27, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Isn't Chris Avellone the only Obsidian guy working on Wasteland?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah, I think with Skyrim and the DLC Bethesda has made some big gains in the quality area, to the point where while I certainly have other developers I'd much rather see it from, I wouldn't mind a Fallout 4 from them.

Back to New Vegas, I legitimately feel the Legion would be hands down better at dealing with the waste and its creatures. That said, the mere existence of the NCR would indicate we're living in a post-"the greatest threat to human life is horrifying giant things eating us all" society

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

CommissarMega posted:

Isn't Chris Avellone the only Obsidian guy working on Wasteland?

This is correct, it's just Chris, not the rest of the studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akalies
May 31, 2000
I'm about to start my second proper run-through, and play Lonesome Road for the first time. It came out right after I finished my first run, but I decided to hold off simply because I knew someday I'd want another adventure in the Mojave and it would be awesome to have something left to uncover. :smug: I have new content for my favorite game of all time.

I hate that Zenimax seems to have shafted Obsidian over a single metacritic point, but I too still hope they can reconcile and give us an Fallout 4.5.